• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,067 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

If Edo is the Thingie Kingie then Hershman is the Kingie Kingie.

Once again Ron Hershman proves his his superiority on a King track by taking all four races in the Ohio Valley Retro Series in Miamsiburg, Ohio.

It was a beautiful day in Southern Ohio for the forth race in the Ohio Valley series as the town of Miamisburg held a parade in our honor. Although the turn-out was lighter than expected the track was a huge hit. Fast and smooth would best describe it. The race went off without a hitch and the new lap counter worked perfectly.

I'd like to thank Rick Blackson (owner of T/R's) and his wife for their hospitality, providing us with a great place to race and a free lunch. I'd also like to thank all the volunteer turn marshals, especially Rande Marshal who turn marshalled all four races.

I'd also like to offer my condolences to Paul Martin who had the worst luck I've ever seen anyone have in a single day of slot racing. If it could happen it did and not only in one race but in three of them.

As usual we started the day with F1. Fastest lap was set by Ron Hershman with a 4.389 on the Orange lane. The next closest time was Garry Haworth with a time of 4.533 on Blue. Needless to say with that big of spead Ron easily won by 17 laps. I believe this was the only race that Paul Martin didn't have a problem in.

1. Ron Hershman 313 laps Best time 4.389 on Orange

2. Tony Jackson 296 laps Best time 4.560 on Orange

3. Terry Watson 294 laps Best time 4.570 on Green

4. Paul Martin 293 laps Best time 4.553 on Blue

5. Garry Haworth 290 laps Best time 4.533 on Purple

6. Gary Echelbarger 248 laps Best time 4.786 on Orange

7. Eric Balicki 242 laps Best time 4.776 on Blue

8. Mike Walpole 180 laps Best time 4.566 on White

Concours winner for Best Looking car was Mike Walpole and for Most Realistic was Gary Echelbarger.

Second up was Can Am. With 11 entries we ran a round robin. Here again Ron had a big advantage with a best lap time of over 1/10th of a second faster that next fastest guy. Doesn't sound like much but we all know it's like spotting a guy a lap a lane on a King track. Ron pretty much had the lead from start to finish, although Ron, Garry Haworth and Paul Martin all had the same number of laps (40) after the first heat.

1. Ron Hershman 321 laps Best time 4.217 on Blue

2. Garry Haworth 311 laps Best time 4.351 on Black

3. Terry Watson 297 laps Best time 4.364 on Black

4. Tony Jackson 293 laps Best time 4.480 on Purple

5. Mike Walpole 289 laps Best time 4.614 on Orange

6. Paul Martin 288 laps Best time 4.369 on Orange

7. Gary Adams 277 laps Beat time 4.694 on Blue

8. Gary Eckelbarger 275 laps Best time 4.790 on Purple

9. Eric Balicki 271 laps Best time 4.757 on Green

10. Ted Melton 257 laps Best time 4.696 on Blue

11. Steve Deiters 253 laps Best time 4.776 on Green

Kinda hard to figure out the fastest lane on this track but I think we can rule out Red.

Concours winners were Paul Martin for Best Looking car and we had a tie for Most Realistic between Paul Martin and Tony Jackson.

JK Spec was the third race on the agenda. Not the turn out I had hoped for but we did have a full field, a beautiful plaque and great prizes donated by Jerry Kulich of JK Products. Again we had a three way tie after the first heat between Ron Hershman, Tony Jackson and Paul Martin all with 26 laps. But as luck would have it Paul Martin only had 20 in the second heat and only 11 in the third heat due to car problems. When the smoke cleared, again it was Ron Hershman with a nine lap lead over the second place finisher Terry Watson.

1. Ron Hershman 214 laps Best time 4.302 on Yellow

2. Terry Watson 205 laps Best time 4.452 on Blue

3. Tony Jackson 201 laps Best time 4.389 on Orange

4. Eric Balicki 186 laps Best time 4.759 on Green

5. Gary Echelbarger 185 laps Best time 4.848 on Black

6. Paul Martin 181 laps Best time 4.561 on Blue

7. Steve Deiters 162 laps Best time 4.853 on Blue

8. Mike Walpole 153 laps Best time 4.556 on Blue

We finished the day with GT Coupe. We only had six racer in the race but thankfully enough guys stuck around that we had enough turn marshals. This race was pretty much Ron Hershman from start to finish. He had a two lap lead after the first heat, a three lap lead after the second heat and just kept increasing it from there winning by 12 laps.

1. Ron Hershman 216 laps Best time 4.160 on Blue

2. Terry Watson 204 laps Best time 4.307 on Blue

3. Tony Jackson 199 laps Best time 4.367 on Blue

4. Mike Walpole 179 laps Best time 4.844 on Orange

5. Paul Martin 165 laps Best time 4.508 on Blue

6. Eric Balicki 115 laps Best time 4.978 on Green

I forgot to write down the concours winners

I'd like to thank everyone who came out to race with us and for those of you who missed it you missed a great day of racing and a great track to race on. We'll be back at T/R's on January 9th for our next race and hope you all can make it. You'll love the track.

I'd also like to thank Ron Hershman and Outisight bodies for the great concours prizes.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#2 TRM124

TRM124

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:58 AM

Butch,
Good race report.
Ted Melton

#3 Mr. Frank

Mr. Frank

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:05 AM

No pictures ?????????? Mr. Frank

Frank Elavsky
5/20/60-2/9/12
Requiescat in Pace

#4 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

Hi Frank,

Hershman posted some in the early results thread. I have a dial-up internet connection which takes forever and I don't remember how to post pictures and really don't care to figure it out again so I just don't post them.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#5 Chris Barnes

Chris Barnes

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

Butch,

I didn't see you name in any class. Didn't you race?

#6 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

I thought Gary was the Official OVRR Photographer and Race Reporter?? We want pictures dammit, :laugh2: :laugh2:

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#7 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

Hi Chris,

The new King track is a horsepower track and I don't have any. I have 7 ProSlot motors and the best one is mediocre. I found that out last month in Richmond, Indiana, they just went off and left me. The best I could muster was a low 4.7 last Wednesday and I knew Hershman was running consistent 4.2's so I just saved my money.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

2000 Jackasses

Electric Dreams Online Shop