4 replies to this topic

#1 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 05:12 PM

What a great way to spend a Sunday! We raced Retro Can-Ams at The Doghouse today and had a blast, even though we had a much smaller-than-usual turnout. Seems several guys were either out of town or letting themselves heal. So, only four racers (and one turn marshal for much of the racing). But the track has four lanes, so racers never had a sit-out heat.

First, the usual suspects who gathered for these Sunday festivities...

The Gang.jpg

L to R: Jim "SlowBeas" Beasley, Bob "Wallbanger" Arneson, Dan "Rocky the Flying Squirrel" Parker, Turn Marshall-of-the-day Dr. Bob Feller, and "Fast Richard" Sylvester, who also serves as host at The Doghouse. In other words, it's his garage where the track is situated.

Next, a photo of the track, since it's truly beautiful and a blast to run. We obtained it several years ago from Jay Guard before he left Alabama for the Sunshine State...

Doghouse track.png

We love our Can-Ams -- some store-bought, while others are strictly scratchbuilt. The cars...

Car Lineup.jpg

L to R: Bob, Beas, Richard, Dan

The racing was fast. In fact, I once commented that I doubted anyone ever thought retro racing would ever evolve to the point of being as fast as it is now. I'm sure cars were fast back in the '60s, but...

We typically run three races, using the top two finishes to determine the overall winner. Sorry, but I didn't catch the heat totals, only the finals for each one...

Results.jpg

...and the top two results...

Totals.jpg

So, another day wasted hanging out in the garage and being totally unproductive. But we all enjoyed it and, after all, isn't that what matters anyway?

We haven't decided yet on the cars we'll use in April. I guess it will be a surprise to all of us. Until then, enjoy your racing, keep it clean, and have fun.

• Pablo, Eddie Fleming, John Luongo and 1 other like this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#2 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 07:15 PM

Congrats on the trifecta, Jim.  :clapping:

• mjsh, Pablo and SlowBeas like this

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#3 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 09:13 PM

We missed you, Don. Very small turnout due to timing, as you saw, but we still had fun. I think there was at least one Don Weaver chassis in the race, too!

jb

• Pablo likes this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#4 John Gorski

John Gorski

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 10:54 AM

Congrats! :good:  :clapping:

• SlowBeas likes this
John Gorski, Jr.

Home of the Gorski Double-Micro Controller

#5 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 09:08 PM

I had a query about the chassis. It's one that I actually spotted here on the blog. I built two of these. One I kept; the other I gave to Allen Evans when he joined our group. I wanted to help him build his stable in order to race with us.

I had built both of these chassis some time ago...maybe 3 years or more, and never really gave them much effort. But after seeing Allen's scream like a banshee on our track, I decided to give the other a try again. Fully loaded, just 103 grams. 

chassis 1.jpg

That's right. i still use a Puppy Dog. It's a fine motor.

Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

- Pat Paulsen, 1968
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

Electric Dreams Online Shop