14 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,274 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:30 AM

Someone has told me that based on a post they saw on Facebook, one of Slotblog's earliest members, Lee Hines AKA Lee Jet, has passed away.

Can anyone confirm or deny this please?
  • Terry Tawney likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 09:05 AM

I spoke to Lee about a month ago. I'll try calling him later...

• Tim Neja likes this

#3 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 06:45 PM

I heard the news secondhand via Facebook. Someone named Jack Murphy said Clint Brooks would have more info, if any of you know him.  :-(  

Eddie

Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,274 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 07:11 PM

From Facebook:

The National Free Flight Society is devastated to report the passing of Lee R. Hines, legendary designer and competitor.

Most famous for designing the Sweepette HLG series, Lee was a many-time National Champion in events from indoor glider to F1S electric. He was also a multiple US F1A team member, and Team World Champion in F1A (1979), digest contributing editor for Glider, and a member of the Free Flight Hall of Fame. His passing leaves an enormous void in our sport.

lee.jpg

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 07:43 PM

Very sorry to hear of Lee's passing. A true gentleman and superb racer; slot car, and R/C planes. He will be missed.

RIP, Lee.

• Cheater and Darkron9 like this
Tom Eatherly

#6 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 09:13 PM

I admired Lee's building and racing back in the '60s, but got to know him since I got back into racing in 2006. He would pop into Buena Park Raceway from time to time, and we'd have lunch and yack it up with Jay Henry. Always kind and interesting, and interested in how everyone was doing. He was certainly a major part of the slot car scene back in the day, and he went on to be even more successful in his other pursuits. He'll be greatly missed.

Condolences to his friends and family.

Eddie

Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#7 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 12:09 AM

Forum members that knew him always spoke highly of Lee. RIP.

Phil Smith ® ©

#8 Sloter

Sloter

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 09:44 AM

RIP.

Bob Roberts

#9 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 09:48 AM

So sad to hear about Lee. Always a very kind talkative man who loved both his sports of slot racing and flying model planes. 

RIP, Lee. Prayers for you and your family.  

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#10 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,181 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 08:28 PM

RIP, Lee.

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#11 Gary Donahoe

Gary Donahoe

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 07:57 AM

Very sorry to learn of Lee's passing. A great guy, he will certainly be missed by many.

RIP, Lee.

#12 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 09:55 AM

Several years ago I asked Lee for one of his gliders that he competed with around the world. Awesome construction and the wings are all hand-shaped aerofoil sections made from balsa wood and the detail and precision are staggering. It is actually three pieces and I believe it releases a small "silly putty" weight in midflight to keep it aloft longer. It doesn't look very impressive but on closer inspection you just go "wow!" This is about 18" long but over the years Lee competed with much larger variations.

Rest in peace, my friend... you will be missed.

P1220045.JPG

• Cheater, Pappy, Mike K and 9 others like this

#13 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 07:32 PM

Very, very sad news of Lee's passing.

I first met Lee in early 1966 at Revell Raceway in Los Angeles. I had entered my first-ever slot car race with a Formula 1 car I had scratchbuilt. I was new to the hobby and didn't know much about slot car racing but did read about Team Russkit and Mike Morrissey's articles on scratchbuilding cars in slot car magazines. I was familiar with Lee Hines as a national champion model airplane builder/flyer, as I had read many model airplane magazines in those days prior to becoming interested in slot car racing. Lee was well known for his "Sweepette" indoor and outdoor hand-launch gliders. He won the Model Airplane Nats in 1963 and 1967 (Los Alamitos Naval Air Station) for hand-launch glider (indoor/outdoor). 

Anyway, after racing in my first ever slot car race at Revell, Lee introduced himself after the race and was interested in checking out my slot car. I was very surprised to meet Lee that day. I didn't know he was racing slot cars. We became friends immediately and had many great experiences with racing slot cars over the next few years. 

Lee was a very friendly, easy-going guy who loved competing in model airplane competitions and slot car racing. He was smart and an excellent designer/builder of slot cars and rewound motors. He became one of the top slot car racers in SoCal during the golden years of slot car racing '66-'68. He was a member of the Checkpoint Team with Mike and Bill Steube Jr., Terry Schmid, and Ron Beitzel. I always admired his ability to focus during race qualifying as the "pressure" during qualifying in those days was more obvious than it is today.

I happened to spend a day at the 1967 Model Airplane Nats (Los Alamitos) to witness Lee compete in the indoor hand-launch glider event. The indoor event was held at the Tustin blimp hanger, a huge hanger for blimps. Lee spent most of the day sitting in a chair, slowly, lightly sanding the wings of his hand launch gliders. Throughout the day, his competitors completed their three official flights. It was towards the end of the day and Lee had not attempted any official flights. I had to leave before the competition ended so I didn't find out until the next day how Lee performed. I learned the next day that Lee won the indoor hand-launch competition! How cool can one be by waiting until the very last moments of the event before tossing his hand-launch glider! He obviously was very confident to wait until what he felt was the best conditions in the blimp hangar to perform his three official flights. By the way, he also competed in the outdoor hand-launch glider event but he lost his gliders due to what is "out of sight" flights and therefore he could not continue in the competition.

I got to know Lee since he happened to work at the same company that my mother worked at. It was a solenoid company in Gardena. The solenoid company happened to have some of the very best insulated copper wire in those days. Lee had access to the best copper wire and proceeded to rewind his own slot car motors. At the time, he was one of the best rewinders in the early days (1966) before Mura, Champion, and a few other companies produced high performance slot car motors.

I was very lucky to have Lee produce what I considered the very best wound armature I ever had in those days. His armature had a very long stack of laminations (much longer than stock armatures in those days) with 38 turns of double 28-1/2 Thermaleze high temperature insulated wire. Lee used his Unimat lathe to turn down the laminations and commutator and had it balanced by Thorpe. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the finished armature. It was perfectly wound and there was just one very shallow drill mark by Thorpe to dynamically balance the armature. I used this armature in my very first anglewinder chassis which I raced in the 1968 Model Car Science race at Classic Speedway. This race happened to be the very first ever anglewinder race that changed our hobby overnight. My car was a rocket, but I lacked sufficient race experience against some of the best racers of the day to compete successfully. The first four finishers all drove anglewinder cars (Mike Steube, Terry Schmid, John Cukras, and myself). Lee was fifth and the fastest inline finisher! Overnight, anglewinder cars would replace inline slot cars for those who raced to win. I will always be grateful to Lee for winding me such a great armature!

Lee was a top notch competitor in two very different hobbies, which doesn't happen very often. 

After the heydays of slot car racing, I did communicate now and then with Lee. He continued to compete in model airplane contests (very successfully by the way).

Here's a link to a bio written by Lee about his model airplane competition history: 

The Free Flight Biography of Lee R. Hines

Rest in peace, Lee, you will always be remembered by me as a great friend and champion competitor. 

Keith

• Cheater, Pablo, Mike K and 6 others like this

Team Rolling Hills circa '66-'68

#14 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,274 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 02:03 PM

Has anyone locate an obituary for Lee? My searching has come up empty...

Gregory Wells

#15 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 03:35 PM

Dennis David

Electric Dreams Online Shop