• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mreibman

mreibman

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 09:03 AM

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but seemed like a good spot.

I was asked to get a couple of H&R chassis set up with some model car bodies painted by a special needs child.

The bodies were about a 1967 Chevy Impala (long wheelbase) a fox body mustang (short wheelbase and narrow) and what looked to be about a 2019-2020 Corvette (very snug wheel wells.

Out of the box, the H&R (I think they were HR104 chassis with 40k motors) are easily adjusted, fairly easy to get the mounting correct, and all ran pretty well.

In 2 of the 3 cars I shaved the paint out of the wheel wells and just took a couple of tight spots out of them. I did choose not to use the velcro dots that came with the kits and went with velcro tape instead. Put a couple drops of nail polish to hold the nuts in place, and went to town. All 3 had reversed lead wires and ran backwards which is a simple fix.

Other than those issues, these were about the easiest and nicest out of the package chassis I ever got to work with, and most definitely great to stick any hardbody car onto..... I think this opens a path when customers (new racers) are always asking about kits so they can build their own cars. (Are you other manufacturer's listening about kits?)

Anyway, all 3 ran really nicely, handled as good as can be expected, and were quick and snappy on the track. Can't wait to see how the actual customer likes them.

• MSwiss, Tim Neja, Slot Car Rod and 2 others like this
Mike Reibman
Alleged amateur racer.
Mostly just play with lots of cars.
Able to maintain slot cars with a single bound.
Faster than a speeding Womp.
More powerful than a 36D.

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,330 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:11 PM

I've driven hard body cars on a small wooden track with the H&R chassis & their 18K RPM Hawk. Those are sweet cars with a bit of general tuning.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:39 PM

The H&R car is an awesome value.

The most glaring issue with it is the huge guide offset.

On my tracks, with pretty average for the industry, .015"-.020" braid recess, the guide blade is not anywhere near fully sunk into the slot.

I think I sell a lot of CR052 .032" thick brass guide washers because of this.

The problem then is the stock guide nut doesn't hold its position very well on the top of the post and needs to be glued or replaced.

And with all those washers, the guide doesn't have a stop and will spin around past 90 degrees in each direction.

I came out with the below to try to address that.

Mini guide tongues to be soldered on the bottom of the existing tongue and provide "guide stoppage."

They are also for "normal" chassis on tracks with deep braid recess.

So far they have been modest sellers.

20220815_122956.jpg
  • The Sawdust Man and mreibman like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

Electric Dreams Online Shop