Slick 7 kits...

Is the S7-627 F1 legal in the NERRA?

#2 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 09:19 PM

Looking at the picture of that kit it does not use a rear bracket so I will say it is not.

F1 chassis are pretty easy to design and build from scratch using a pre-made bracket and guide tongue. Look at the winning pictures in the race reports. :)

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#3 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 09:57 PM

It's quite clear on the rear motor/axle design. (3) three sides,horizontal or, vertical. It can be in (3) pieces, as long as they are soldered together.

My question is irrelevant to that.

The question is: is it legal?

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,316 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 10:14 PM

Mark,

Send a PM to the NERRA leadership committee, either Bob Hazelwood or Dave Panich. That might get you an answer faster than a general post made on here.

• spudboy likes this
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#5 old & gray

old & gray

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 11:03 PM

Mark, 

I have no official standing with IRRA or the NERR; all I can offer is a reading of the rules from the IRRA website. (http://www.irraslotracing.com)

"Chassis Construction: 3a. Each car must have a one-piece brass rear bracket consisting of at least three sides (vertical or horizontal), with each connected side having a minimum width or height of at least 0.200"." (Note the phrase "one-piece" in the description of the motor bracket)

In addition, there is discussion of frame rails (wire or rod) running from the bracket to the front.

"3i. Wire or tubing rails must connect the front and rear sections of the chassis. Using metal strip for this purpose is not permitted. A rail is defined as that which connects the motor bracket to the front of the chassis."

To be considered as main rails, whether center or outer rails, they must solidly connect the motor bracket and the front of the chassis (nosepiece). For example, center rails that are inserted into tubes in the nosepiece (but are not soldered into the tubes) do not qualify as main rails. 

Nothing official here, just a rules lawyer comment.

• Ramcatlarry likes this
Bob Schlain

#6 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 08:50 AM

In the IRRA question and answers, someone asked if it was ok to have a (3) three piece motor/ axle bracket, Noose responded, as long as it's soldered together.
The chassis in question does have (2) two rails connecting the front to back.
It's not a big deal, but I'm sure it has been reviewed, just wanted to know what the verdict is/was.
Interpretation of rules can be a tricky thing. I don't want to overcomplicate it but, I'm sure someone knows.
I'll take Billnh's advice and try to reach the bord. At least that reply is progress in the right direction!

#7 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 11:40 AM

Hi Mark,

The kit can be made legal. The motor bracket is considered a keyed component and would not be allowed. I would just swap out the bracket for a Chicagoland or R-Geo bracket them you are good to go.

You will also need have a minimum of one rail perside connecting the motor bracket to the nose of the car.

You can try messaging Jay Guard as he has built a chassis similar to the S7 design that you may find useful.

• Tim Neja, JerseyJohn, Racer36 and 1 other like this

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

Electric Dreams Online Shop