• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul the Slotcarguy

Paul the Slotcarguy

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 07:49 PM

Never seen this one before. The yellow motor says K&B?

Your thoughts are appreciated. 47196cf65af3a3b39ea4ebac8b9145b3.jpg
ce393f1bd46dea7eab3f29da3672a2b2.jpg
47c39b25169e14fdcedcd7642a0d0ae0.jpg
ab96e2054dd0890bd4c1b5832fb1354f.jpg
a6c8168f298a4f592905276d4c09a1ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Tex and John Luongo like this
Paul Morack

#2 Paul the Slotcarguy

Paul the Slotcarguy

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 07:50 PM

I opened it up and found the K&B info

Paul Morack

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 09:57 AM

A short series of two cars with clamshell chassis, released in late 1965. Hmm, only have the Cooper F1 on tap, but the Lotus 30 box was similar, a bit bigger. Released in late 65. 

Don 

KB Cooper F1 box.JPG

Arrivage 1022-9.jpg

#4 Bill Seitz

Bill Seitz

Still Half-Fast After All These Years

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 12:04 PM

Yes, this is the K&B Lotus 30. I actually had 2 of these, but IIRC they were both British Racing Green plastic. The first was purchased late August, and it had been on the raceway shelf a bit. This car has a very serious weakness that probably put many into the trash. You'll notice the rear axle assembly is retained in the plastic shell by 2 thin webs of styrene. Any serious collision or off-track excursion tended to break these webs, and then the car was unrepairable trash. This happened to both of mine in short order. Spur gear and wheels are K&B's collet-lok design which was far better than the more common 5-40 thread. The wheels on the Lotus 30 should have plastic inserts as are shown on the F-1 Cooper. Of course you're missing the windscreen and driver figure as well. The motor is the standard K&B Bobcat. Even the Super Bobcat was not all that impressive and was outpaced by the motor in the Classic Industries Manta Ray.

• Slot Car Rod and Paul the Slotcarguy like this

#5 Paul the Slotcarguy

Paul the Slotcarguy

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 12:13 PM

A short series of two cars with clamshell chassis, released in late 1965. Hmm, only have the Cooper F1 on tap, but the Lotus 30 box was similar, a bit bigger. Released in late 65. 

Don 

attachicon.gif KB Cooper F1 box.JPG

attachicon.gif Arrivage 1022-9.jpg

Thanks for the response Don!!! Do you have an opinion on todays estimated value on the lotus 30 I have?

Paul Morack

#6 Paul the Slotcarguy

Paul the Slotcarguy

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 12:15 PM

Yes, this is the K&B Lotus 30. I actually had 2 of these, but IIRC they were both British Racing Green plastic. The first was purchased late August, and it had been on the raceway shelf a bit. This car has a very serious weakness that probably put many into the trash. You'll notice the rear axle assembly is retained in the plastic shell by 2 thin webs of styrene. Any serious collision or off-track excursion tended to break these webs, and then the car was unrepairable trash. This happened to both of mine in short order. Spur gear and wheels are K&B's collet-lok design which was far better than the more common 5-40 thread. The wheels on the Lotus 30 should have plastic inserts as are shown on the F-1 Cooper. Of course you're missing the windscreen and driver figure as well. The motor is the standard K&B Bobcat. Even the Super Bobcat was not all that impressive and was outpaced by the motor in the Classic Industries Manta Ray.

Thanks for the detailed response Bill. It’s nice to hear the history about this vehicle. Do you have an opinion on todays estimated value of my car? Do you have a spare windscreen?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Morack

#7 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 03:26 PM

Paul, the value on this one is pretty minor; these aren't rare and not considered that desireable, except maybe in very good shape with the box. The green version is also rarer than the orange one. 

Brad Blohm did make a repro windshield at some point, not sure if they're still available. 

Don 

#8 Bill Seitz

Bill Seitz

Still Half-Fast After All These Years

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 07:11 PM

Sorry, Paul. All my parts to these cars disappeared in the 70's, and I've no idea what they're worth. Probably worth more to a Lotus fan which is why I had these in the 60's. When Cox introduced their Lotus 40, that was a superior car to these K&B's. All now memories.

I said Super Bobcat and realized a little while later that the higher performance K&B 36D motor was the Royal Bobcat.

#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,315 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 07:30 PM

The last I knew; new Royal Bobcats were still available from REHCO in Cincinnati. I've inherited a couple over the years.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

Electric Dreams Online Shop