4 replies to this topic

#1 Slot Car Rod

Slot Car Rod

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 03:02 PM

Here is the Lancer-bodied Trans Am Camaro that is a mate to the Javelin.  The car was originally built around 1970.  The chassis has been rebuilt/modified three times.

It is powered with an A-can Mura motor with an NCC Group 20 armature.  The wheels are Cox set screw.  Urethane tires replace the dried-out sponge tires.

A front spoiler was added to the Lancer body.  Letraset lettering.

ca1.jpg

ca2.jpg

ca3.jpg

ca4.jpg

ca6.jpg

ca5.jpg

• Jencar17, Tex, NY Nick and 4 others like this
Rodney Chew

#2 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,805 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 03:15 PM

Nice car Rod. 

How do the urethane tires hook up under Group 20 power? 

Don 

#3 Slot Car Rod

Slot Car Rod

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 09:12 PM

Thanks, Don.  I have found that many NCC 20 motors, including the one in this car, have a very broad power band when used with an electronic controller.  An electronic controller that is designed to have more mid-range really tames the old NCC 20 motors.  Of course, with more mid-range, your lap times are slower on a track like a Blue King.  Also, the NCC 20 motor has relatively low amperage draw throughout the RPM range and runs cool.

Rick and I have found that the NCC 20s in vintage cars are very drivable compared to most old open class motors and seemingly almost as fast.  Also, the NCC 20s do not run hot compared to old open motors on modern seemingly unlimited amperage tracks.

I like the urethane tires more on a road course.  Not enough sliding on a hill climb style track in my opinion.  We have successfully used urethane tires on modern flexi cars with a decent amount of horsepower.

Rodney Chew

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 10:48 PM

Rod do you have a preference for firm or soft urethanes to use with those old Grp; 20 arms? A local home/club 1/24 hard body group has been running Paul Gage urethanes with milder motors for about five years. You have two neat looking Trans Am cars with those Lancer bodies. I don't recall seeing either before here in the Northeast.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#5 Slot Car Rod

Slot Car Rod

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 11:06 PM

Bill, I like the Paul Guage firm urethane tires.  Actually, there seems to be three compounds of Paul's tires over the years.  Medium?

Rodney Chew

Electric Dreams Online Shop