• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 06:06 PM

The endbell was so melted on this 26D, I pulled it apart and it's the first time I've seen the arm out of it. Just curious what anyone can tell me about it, as I don't know much about motors. Figure that's an aftermarket comm since it's gray.

This thing ripped when it was in one piece.

m1.jpeg

m2.jpeg
Mark Haas

#2 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 10:08 PM

Looks like it was built well. If it were mine I would send it off to a professional refurbisher. Ask them to check it beforehand and if there are no shorts or bent shaft problems, give it a comm cut, cleaning and a re-balance.

• Mad Mark likes this

Paul Wolcott

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 03:48 AM

Looks like a Tradeship com, one of the first available to rewinders, on a home rewind; depending on what you want to do with it, not sure it's worth a complete rehab. Just try a light cleanup with very used sandpaper and see how it sounds, assuming you've got another endbell. 

Offhand, i'd guess #28 wire... 

Don 

• Mad Mark likes this

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,319 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 05:47 AM

I probably would spend $5 or so to get it completely refurbished. It melted the endbell so it got real hot. The old epoxies don't keep winds stable like the current ones do. I would question whether those off-center drill marks with a twist drill actually balanced the arm or are they a back-yard attempt? I see it as a $5 gamble.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#5 Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 09:49 AM

I probably would spend $5 or so to get it completely refurbished. It melted the endbell so it got real hot. The old epoxies don't keep winds stable like the current ones do. I would question whether those off-center drill marks with a twist drill actually balanced the arm or are they a back-yard attempt? I see it as a $5 gamble.

Looks like the endbell is melted form acid flux and was already poorly repaired with a body screw holding the brush hood. if I can find a donor motor or a endbell think I’d just run it as is after a water break in to clean up comm or a little or a little scuff with sandpaper. Thanks for the info fellas.
Mark Haas

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,319 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 10:07 AM

Synthetic nylon pot scrubbers will clean the comm easily. Check the comm slots with a toothpick. The local dollar store should be a good source for the pot scrubbers. Grocery & hardware stores is another. Ink erasers will work too.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#7 Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 11:43 AM

Synthetic nylon pot scrubbers will clean the comm easily. Check the comm slots with a toothpick. The local dollar store should be a good source for the pot scrubbers. Grocery & hardware stores is another. Ink erasers will work too.

Good advice thanks! Think I have one sitting on the workbench.
  • Bill from NH likes this
Mark Haas

Electric Dreams Online Shop