5 replies to this topic

#1 Slot Car Rod

Slot Car Rod

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 06:39 PM

I just completed a new chassis for my Denny Hulme McLaren M8F resin slot car.  The car previously had a Plafit-style chassis.

The new chassis is a conventional 4-rail design with a drop arm and plumber.  The main rails are .055" piano wire.  The pans and drop arm are .040" brass.  The body is held on with 4 screws and body posts.

The wheels are Pro-Track with H&R fish rear tires, and the front wheels and tires are also Pro-Track.  The resin wheel inserts are patterned after American Racing Wheels.   A polymer drag race spur gear is used along with an angled pinion gear.  Gear ratio is a little over 5-to-1.  The motor is a Mura Super Wasp.

The resin body was thinned out and painted with Tamiya paint.  Detail parts are from the resin body kit.

The car weighs in at 6.5 ounces.  The car handles well, and the Super wasp supplies smooth power.  

m8 1.jpg

m8 2.jpg

m8 3.jpg

m8 4.jpg

m8 5.jpg

m8 6.jpg

m8 7.jpg

m8 8.jpg

m8 9.jpg

m8 10.jpg

• don.siegel, Jencar17, vfr750 and 8 others like this
Rodney Chew

#2 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 05:12 AM

Slick body mounts!

• olescratch likes this

Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas

"Death before disco!" Wanda from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#3 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 08:42 AM

Superb collection of M-8s. For some time I have wondered how well a drop arm works with a heavy (compared to Lexan) resin body. I have always built slab chassis for those. No tipping in corners?

#4 Slot Car Rod

Slot Car Rod

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Dave.  The chassis has plumber and drop arm.  I think this gives the weight transfer to the guide flag.  There is also lots of pan movement.  You could see the body roll before locking up in the turns.  The chassis has good flex.  Also, the car is set up so the front tires are barely touching a recessed braid set up block.  

The car does not tilt.  You could push the car and have the tail drift out.  The car is fun to drive and is forgiving.

I have built and purchased pan cars with hard bodies.  The philosophy with these cars seems to be to have lots of mass down low, and if the car does not handle, pile on more weight.  I have purchased used pan cars that weigh in at about 9 ounces.  The cars are fast, but when the limit is reached, the cars go flying off the track.  Not the best driving experience.  

With my hard body cars, the Champion chassis cars seem to be the best compromise between speed and driving fun, The Plafit-style chassis cars work great on some tracks and not so good on others.  Hard to figure.

Thanks again Mike Swiss for the body mounting tips.

• Tex likes this
Rodney Chew

#5 Slot Car Rod

Slot Car Rod

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 11:48 AM

Purple car number 11 is the most fun to drive and is the fastest on a tight track.  Black car number 8 is the fastest on a large road course and hill climb track.

m8 102.jpg

m8 101.jpg

m8 100.jpg

• MSwiss likes this
Rodney Chew

#6 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 12:22 PM

Interesting info, thanks. I still have some resin and injection molded styrene bodies I want to do something with. I have one styrene Ford Gt-40 Mk IV body on a Champion center section that I made a brass pan for. I made it years ago to run on Dave Fiedler's DJ's Hot Slots LTD track . Saturday nights were hardbody night, and Dave kept the rules a bit open. But the GT-40 was so fast that he outlawed Can-Am and European Prototype bodies.  

• Slot Car Rod likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop