• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Perrotoro

Perrotoro

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 10:08 AM

Our group (of 5-12 racers) races this classification every Thurs night at a local shop tri-oval/wood track. It's raced as our entry level classification. I want to help my brother get started in slots and need a good "read" or two on this class, if there are any.  

I searched "Modified" here to see if there's help on this classification. Basic Tuning, etc. When I raced this class, I podium'd a few times but never consistently. So is there a good read on this class? Best weight distributions, chassis (JK specified) stiffening, better bushings/gears/guides than standard, front wheel sizing, rear wheel minimum sizing and treatments for heavily glued corners, Hawk 25 tweaks for this heavy class, etc.  

Our better racers have opinions that differ on this class so I'd love to read some outside opinions. At one point, lack of motor brakes was deemed the time for motor replacement. Now used motors are put in pre-builts for counter purchase, that by popular opinion, help carry momentum around the third flat corner and other drive-ability characteristics.  

Thanks for any helps.

David Grant

#2 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 10:40 AM

Modified is not a standard class in the world of slot racing so a bit more information would be helpful.

What are the rules for the class? What chassis what body, what is the rule on tires and/or gears? 

I am sure people will be glad to help but a bit more information please.

A photo of the car may get things rolling. 

The best thing is always to talk to the guys doing the racing and see what they are running. I have almost never found slot racers that were unwilling to help someone get started or sort out problems.

• Cheater likes this
Eddie Fleming

#3 Bill Seitz

Bill Seitz

Still Half-Fast After All These Years

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 11:11 AM

I think "Modified" in this case is describing the style car, a oval track Modified body style, not a slot car racing class.

I've seen other raceways with a class using similar body style, but I don't know if there's a common rule set that's used or the raceways have borrowed ideas from each other. I note the OP's location is Louisiana, and the only raceway I'm familiar with there is Speedway Slot Car Racing in Slidell. They have an active Facebook page with race results, photos, and videos.

A similar class is also raced at Charlie's Garage in Pearl, MS. The racers at Charlie's also have a Facebook page, Southern Slot Car Racers. Charlie's races a similar Modified class on their oval, and they also travel down to Slidell for events and compete with the group there. I know Chuck Hendricks, the moderator of the Southern Slot Car Racers Facebook page. He's a great guy and avid competitor, and I'm sure he could provide some specifics about the Modified style car they race that would be appropriate. Chuck is one of the guys that travels down to Speedway in Slidell, so he is also familiar with that oval.

• Cheater likes this

#4 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 02:30 PM

Since there isn't really a set formula for a "modified" class, I think it depends on the track you are using, how fast you want to go, and how "technical" a car you want to build. Plus, in the real world, there are a lot of definitions of what is a modified.

Starting with NASCAR, you can build a vintage style modified;

nascarvintage mod.JPG nascarvintagemod1.JPG

Or a current style NASCAR modified;

nascarcurrmod.JPG nascarcurrmod1.JPG

NASCAR Whelen series modifieds;

nascarwhelenmod.JPG

Or a supermodified;

supermod.JPG

And local tracks had their own versions. This is a Midwest modified;

midwestmod.JPG

Going from here, you need to decide what type of chassis you want to use. The club I raced with ran vintage NASCAR style on American Line chassis, with the front modified to take a 3/32nds axle and full size wheels. They came out looking like this;

IMG_0370.JPG

As that chassis became hard to come by, we allowed Parma FCR and H&R chassis to be used. In the end, we didn't find an advantage with any of those choices. We ran Falcon II and Falcon III motors, Pro-Track wheels and tires, and hard plastic model car bodies. We had a ball with these on a small, four lane oval track. In your case, it is best to ask what the other guys are doing. Try to keep everything equal. 

• Slot Car Rod, Samiam and John Luongo like this

#5 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 04:20 PM

Take the guy who wins the most out to a nice lunch. He's got all the answers. :drinks:

• mreibman likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#6 Perrotoro

Perrotoro

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 11:36 PM

Modified is not a standard class in the world of slot racing so a bit more information would be helpful.

What are the rules for the class? What chassis what body, what is the rule on tires and/or gears? 

I am sure people will be glad to help but a bit more information please.

A photo of the car may get things rolling. 

The best thing is always to talk to the guys doing the racing and see what they are running. I have almost never found slot racers that were unwilling to help someone get started or sort out problems.

Definitely a class: see https://www.nymodifieds.com/ 

David Grant

#7 Perrotoro

Perrotoro

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 11:47 PM

Take the guy who wins the most out to a nice lunch. He's got all the answers. :drinks:

Done that - looking outside the box a bit for possible other ideas. From the answers here, I guess we're only one of a few groups that races this class. I'd have thought differently based on two suppliers that stock enormous amounts of body selections. Mid-America and others stock the JK chassis specified for the class. Hmmm - guess we're on an island.

David Grant

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,599 posts

Posted 14 January 2024 - 01:45 AM

Definitely a class: see https://www.nymodifieds.com/ 

This link doesn't work for me.

And I agree that Modifieds is not a class recognized by any national slot car sanctioning body I am aware of. Are there small slot racing groups who run classes with the name... sure.

As Dave Crevie pointed out, the term or class has much more definition in the 1:1 racing world.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#9 zipper

zipper

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 14 January 2024 - 06:25 AM

There is something extra on that link, look here:

NY Modifieds - Asphalt Modified Slot Car Racing

• Cheater likes this
Pekka Sippola

#10 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 14 January 2024 - 10:17 AM

That group has everything it needs to be a successful series. I wonder why it hasn't caught on in Illinois, other than one track and a couple of clubs. Dirt racing is pretty big in the Midwest. Does it need to be "ordained" by USRA, or some other major racing organization? My little group had a ball with vintage modifieds, built to our own specs. No reason this couldn't be a National class. 

#11 Perrotoro

Perrotoro

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 05:40 PM

Asphalt Modified Rules

David Grant

#12 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 12:03 PM

As a body manufacturer, I try to add a prefix description to offer some direction beyond "Modified." Asphalt, UMP, Vintage, etc.

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!          Support Your local raceways!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         CavemanBodeez.com      Womp Mafia

#13 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 09:00 PM

Do you have to run those Pro Track tires?

David Parrotta

#14 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 09:02 PM

The Hawk 25 spins slow so I imagine you are using the smallest crown gear possible?
David Parrotta

#15 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 09:06 PM

I just realized Guy Spaulding likely races with you. Ask him for help.

• Terry Tawney likes this
David Parrotta

#16 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 07:59 AM

The Hawk 25 spins slow so I imagine you are using the smallest crown gear possible?

David he posted the class rules in post #11

The tires and pinion are spec 

Eddie Fleming

#17 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 09:09 AM

Anything smaller would look silly. If all you want is to go fast, stick with a flexi style chassis. IMO The idea here is to have cars that look like the real thing. 

#18 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 10:46 AM

Pro track only offers a few hardness of rubber. Using a full line manufacturer would allow more tire hardness and Types and better handling for sure.
David Parrotta

#19 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 01:12 PM

Do they offer full size, 1 inch O.D. tires? A spec tire keeps everything equal. Soft tires usually only come in smaller diameters, simply because they are too grabby, and the rear becomes too "stuck". For my group, running the cars we did, the Pro Track Daytona's worked the best. And we tried a bunch of custom made tires of different durometers. 

The Daytonas also ran really well on these vintage Indy cars. (the number 36, with well over 100 laps on it, is showing some rear tire wear)

IMG_0540.JPG

And for these vintage sprint cars, we used Pro Track Eliminators in the rear;

005.JPG

011.JPG

The Indy cars ran comparable lap times as the FCR's we ran for a very short time. The tiny, sticky rears didn't give the advantage everyone thought they would. And we wanted a more realistic look to the cars. 

For your local group, you can make any rules you like. Chances are, these clubs have developed theirs through trial and error. 

Electric Dreams Online Shop