146 replies to this topic

#76 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

Thanks guys!

Barney, I'm still working on getting better traction for foam tires.

Right now Ortmanns work better than foams. The TSRF foam tires are too hard to get grip without some glue and I will not be glueing this surface. JK untreated foams with a bit of factor 45 suntan lotion rubbed in and wiped off work pretty well, but only for 20 laps or so before they go off.

On the TSRF car, make sure you have the modified pin position (between the braids), and remember to round off the bottom of the pin so it doesn't rip the braid when you de-slot (you do de-slot now and then, right? ;) )
Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#77 munter

munter

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

Looking better and better, Dennis.

That lighting gantry is sweet.
Please dont cover up too much of the zigzag construction with signage.

Have you tried the Australian MJK urethane tyres?
They might be an worth a test.

John

John Warren
Slot cars are my preferred reality

#78 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

Thanks!

I have not tried the MJK tires (or "tyres" - I can do both ;) ), but other urethanes work well on this surface so far.

The signage on the gantry will just be in the center and will be like a "Welcome Racers" kind of thing with the circuit name on it.

I guess it's kind-of silly to be giving slot car tracks names, but since this one is a re-creation in part of my old Club track I wanted to commemorate that. As it turns out, it was quite easy to do.

My old club was called the Pretoria Model Car Club (PMCC), which later changed its name to Premier Model Car Club when they moved from Pretoria to another town. Now since I live on a street named Pebblestone, I have the "P" and from there it was an easy progression to the "Pebblestone Model Car Circuit" to retain the PMCC abbreviation.

So that's what will go on the signs.
Dennis Samson
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#79 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

Dennis, this is very cool. I am myself going to build a track in my garage that will be able to lift above the parked cars. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#80 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

That's exactly what I'm doing PDL---8' x 16' of table, cables leading to a hand crank on the wall to winch it above the parked cars. Right now, I just have to get it over a "lowered" 911 Porsche! The rest of the ceiling is hung with model sailplane storage!!
Sweet track Dennis has!! I've had the priviledge of "testing" with him!! Dennis--have you thought of putting another coat of paint on and a very fine "sand" dusting to roughen the surface a little for bite? I've heard of other guys doing this!!
Tim
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#81 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

I think that as I run the track and rubber in the surface the traction will come up.

Tim, the day you were there we mixed the Ortmann and the silicon-tire cars a lot and that might have affected the traction too.

Right now, I am very happy with how things work for the silicon or urethane-tired cars, it's just the foams that struggle a little, and roughening the surface would make that worse, as it just traps the dust even more.

In the long run, if it doesn't become more foam-friendly, then that's fine by me, I will just run my 1/32 cars with their existing tires. The track is a bit short for running retro cars anyway, and all my old 1/24 scale stuff runs fine as none of it has much power anyway!

For those wanting to build tracks that hoist, it's a balancing act between getting the track frame strong enough to stay flat and light enough not to bring the roof down! My first track was a "lift-up" type:

Posted Image

It had a lightweight frame, because it was a Carrera track, so the track pieces themselves were stiff enough to remain nice and flat. A simple boat winch with nylon rope and some laundry line pulleys was all I needed, but with a steel or even aluminum frame you might need cables and a garage door opener as a winch. Jim Hansen in Montana has one like this - I will see if I can find some photos of his set-up.

I raced with a guy in Colorado who had an Ogilvie American Orange in his auto detailing shop that was hoisted into the roof of the shop. You should have seen the framework under that thing! It took 15 minutes using two hand-operated chain hoists to lower it 8 feet! But it stayed flat and smooth, and it was fun to drive.
Dennis Samson
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#82 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:16 AM

Quick photo-update on progress:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The signs are all printed on label paper, then covered with clear laminating plastic sheet.
Dennis Samson
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#83 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

Lookin' good, Dennis!! Make a slot car look like a real race car and make a slot car track look like a real race track!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#84 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

Thanks, Tex!

The track is starting to pick up a nice "racing line" too - it's more noticeable in the photos than in real life for some reason, though.
Dennis Samson
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#85 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:40 PM

Well let's have a small "practice" race on it--that'll put some rubber down for ya!! I'm ready when you are!! Just tell me what tires need to be on the car--no Ortmann's? Or ALL Ortmanns? Then-- GT1 cars / F-1 / Slot it's?? Those would be my initial thought. I'm available after April 1st for hot laps!!!!
Track's looking REALLY GREAT Dennis!!
Tim
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#86 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

Thanks, Tim.

Update from last weekend's work:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Note the ever-present QC cat - she does not show it, but she does approve so far. :P

I started adding the outer barriers, which are made up of two layers of 1/8" hardboard, one attached to the framing under the MDF sheet, and a second narrower piece glued to the inside of the first layer. This allowed me to make some nice curves, but also meant I had big wedges of open space to fill:

Posted Image

Some expanding sealer did the job, and once it's fully dry I will sand it down level with the top of the barriers and paint the whole lot.
Dennis Samson
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#87 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

Looks really swell, Dennis!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#88 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

OK, vacation has come and gone, so here's an update on the progress at PMCC (Pebblestone Model Car Circuit):

The outer barriers are done now, the section in front of the drivers' panels being lower than the rest:

Posted Image

This is the view to the left of the drivers:

Posted Image

Then I got going on the intial construction of the pit building and some bleachers, using the scraps of hardboard left over from the barriers.

The pits are going to be a recreation of the old brick construction that was the pitlane at Kyalami when I used to hang around there as a kid, I will try to find some on-line photos, my references are mostly in books right now.

Posted Image

The bleachers are a very simple construction:

Posted Image

I need to get some "brick" paper from MicroMark or one of the model train stores, plus some corrugated foil for the roof of the pits.

Oh, and lest you think that's not a lot of work for two weeks of vacation, I also built 8 1/24 scale retro car frames.......... :laugh2:
Dennis Samson
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#89 Craig

Craig

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

Dennis, we need to get them there grand stand filled up! :D
Craig Correia
11/27/57-8/12/22
Requiescat in Pace

#90 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:30 AM

Craig,

Your wish is my command, well, sort of......

About two weeks back I recevied an email from my old friend Russell Sheldon in Dubai, saying he had "some stuff that would fit on my track", no more than that.

Friday the box arrived via Fedex, somewhat larger and heavier than expected, although after all these years I should know Russell.

After opening and unpacking it all, I took these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

467 figures in all, many of them duplicates as you can see, many of them original period Scalextric, Airfix, Strombecker and Monogram, some of them the Monogram/MRRC re-issues, some more modern Preiser, Carrera and SCX.

This is what Russell had to say about this collection:

I collected the figures over a period of quite a few years with the intention of detailing my track, which you correctly remember ended up with Gustav (a mutual friend and top SA slot racer, Gustav Heymann). For some reason the box came with us to Dubai and I would occasionally add to the collection, mainly with newer Scalextric, SCX and Carrera figures but most of them are old Scalextric, MRRC, Strombecker, etc. The figures that are rather amateurishly painted in gloss colours are in fact original 1960's Scalextric figures!

Marianne (Russell's wife) painted most of the Monogram figures (they were all unpainted original issue Monogram) and there are also some factory painted Revell-Monogram re-released figures. All the Preiser figures were factory painted. The trouble with the collection is that some of the figures look like they are dressed to go to the North Pole, while others are wearing skimpy bathing suits!

I never counted how many there were, so thanks for that. I tried to get as many as I could since a few thousand people spectate races in real life; most detailed tracks that I've seen don't have nearly enough spectators. There actually isn't a huge range of different figures available, hence the duplication, and I wasn't willing to cut off limbs to re-pose any of them.

You are most welcome to keep the ones you want and pass the others onto a good home.

There's no way I will have space for 467 figures, but here's what I have so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There's space for another small bleacher right behind the timing gantry, so that area will get more "population" and perhaps a few more flag marshalls in some of the turns, then I'm done.

I have to thank Russell enormously for his generous gift to my track, and for the fun I had in unpacking and laying out all these little people. Some of them brought back memories from days long gone, when I had a 2-lane track out in the garage of my parents' home in Johannesburg in the mid 1960's.

If anyone else needs figures for a seriously scenicked layout, please let me know, so I can ensure that the rest of this collection also goes to a good home.
Dennis Samson
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#91 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:52 AM

Dennis, Absolutely beautiful !

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#92 68Caddy

68Caddy

The Direktor

• 10,546 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:56 AM

Dennis
I love that you are not skimping on things and the way the track look now is way sweet.
Thanks for sharing your hard labor.
Have to say I love details and thoughts going in to projects like this because the ambiance is really making a big diffrence for me. ;)
You sure are a true hobbies t and you sure are bringing out the best in us.

Nesta
- Gabriel
Nesta Szabo

In this bright future you can't forget your past.
BMW (Bob Marley and the Wailers)

United we stand and divided we fall, the Legends are complete.
I'm racing the best here at BP but Father time is much better then all of us united.
Not a snob in this hobby, after all it will be gone, if we keep on going like we do, and I have nothing to prove so I keep on posting because I have nothing to gain.
It's our duty to remember the past so we can have a future.

Pistol Pete you will always be in my memory.

#93 The Bugman

The Bugman

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:21 AM

and whats wrong with an eskimo sitting next to a bikini clad lass watching a slotcar race,,,lol,
use em all make really diverse scenery,, :blink: :laugh2:
Oscar Morales
8/16/49-9/18/13
Requiescat in Pace

#94 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• Member at Peace
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:35 AM

Nice Dennis!

Barney Poynor
12/26/51-1/31/22
Requiescat in Pace

#95 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,799 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:08 AM

I don't know why I would have expected anything less of you. Fabulous and I'm sure getting more so.
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#96 stoo23

stoo23

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:20 AM

Hey!, That's looking really good !!

What an amazing collection of 'Figures' !!

I just LOVE This Guy!

Such a Natural stance, Very OZtralian,,...lol ,...and with That HAT you could be excused for thinking it was Frank Gardner at first Glance,..LOL,

Great stuff

:D

Attached Images

• 20bleachersm.jpg

Stewart Amos

Old Racer from Sydney, Australia
FASTUFF Race Proven Products

#97 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,175 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

Lovely..simply lovely..and I'm soooooooo jealous!

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#98 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

Thanks guys!

I will take a few close-ups of some of the Preiser figures - their poses and expressions are simply way ahead of anything else I have seen so far.
Dennis Samson
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#99 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hi

There are a couple cheap tricks, if you care, to make them look even better.

In wargaming circles we discuss this stuff all the time.

the real trick is to put the figs in places that they are unlikely to be struck down in a race, though!

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#100 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:56 PM

the real trick is to put the figs in places that they are unlikely to be struck down in a race, though!

Guard rails are coming - there are some already in place in one of the pictures, and those square section posts will support thme in front of the bleachers.

But you don't come out when you race, right, so why worry?? ;)
Dennis Samson
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

Electric Dreams Online Shop