• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

The only decals are the numbers and the Ferrari logos. The rest is painted. It was nice to do one like this. :)

HERE's a link to a Monogram 1/32 version I just did...

Posted Image
Chris Clark

#2 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,809 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

A pair of aces, Chris!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#3 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,629 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:37 PM

You continue to amaze me!
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#4 68Caddy

68Caddy

The Direktor

• 10,546 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:55 AM

You are killing me with these cars. I have to race now, my friend. ;)

Nesta
- Gabriel
Nesta Szabo

In this bright future you can't forget your past.
BMW (Bob Marley and the Wailers)

United we stand and divided we fall, the Legends are complete.
I'm racing the best here at BP but Father time is much better then all of us united.
Not a snob in this hobby, after all it will be gone, if we keep on going like we do, and I have nothing to prove so I keep on posting because I have nothing to gain.
It's our duty to remember the past so we can have a future.

Pistol Pete you will always be in my memory.

#5 Jean-Michel Piot

Jean-Michel Piot

Plastic surgeon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

Very nice (as usual) :clapping: .

I notably appreciate the amber varnish on the goggles.

This car is one of my future projects.

But weren't the wheels in a little more pale shade of blue? (in which case this would be very easy to modify).

Surtees.jpg
(Bud)light is right!

#6 Dave Wilson

Dave Wilson

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:26 AM

Arr - the sheer hands of a magician. :) :yu:

One question I would like to know - I'm guessing this was a secondhand car from the start, and if so, how do you get the old glued parts off? Example - mirrors?

Dave

#7 m.milhas

m.milhas

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:12 AM

Chris,

A great work!

Can you give us a close-up of the driver's face?
Miguel Pereira
Lisboa, Portugal

#8 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

Very nice (as usual) :clapping: .

I notably appreciate the amber varnish on the goggles.

This car is one of my future projects.

But weren't the wheels in a little more pale shade of blue? (in which case this would be very easy to modify).

Surtees.jpg

Thanks Mate
Chris Clark

#9 tossedman

tossedman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:17 AM

That's gorgeous Chris!

Todd
Todd Austman

#10 Jean-Michel Piot

Jean-Michel Piot

Plastic surgeon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

That's gorgeous Chris!

Todd

That's obviously the complete Cox model (body and chassis).
(Bud)light is right!

#11 Bugeye

Bugeye

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

And no Goodyear tire decals. :yahoo:
Beautiful job as always.
Rob Giorgi

#12 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

You guys can be pretty rude with regard to the tire decals. Chris does his very best to bring you high quality pictures of his builds and you guys pick them apart talking about the tint of wheels, color of the helmet and whether or not he did or did not put on tire decals?
For heaven's sake, he dosn't have to post and yet he continues to post... the reason for which I cannot fathom! :angry:

Most of us can only dream of doing as nice a buildup and yet to make ourselves feel better we need to point out faults in another's project?
Chris' cars are flat out the best pieces of art posted here on Slotblog. Jean Michelle, Rick and many others do very well too... why don't you pick on them for a change.
SHEESH!

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#13 Jean-Michel Piot

Jean-Michel Piot

Plastic surgeon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

You guys can be pretty rude with regard to the tire decals. Chris does his very best to bring you high quality pictures of his builds and you guys pick them apart talking about the tint of wheels, color of the helmet and whether or not he did or did not put on tire decals?
For heaven's sake, he dosn't have to post and yet he continues to post... the reason for which I cannot fathom! :angry:

Most of us can only dream of doing as nice a buildup and yet to make ourselves feel better we need to point out faults in another's project?
Chris' cars are flat out the best pieces of art posted here on Slotblog. Jean Michelle, Rick and many others do very well too... why don't you pick on them for a change.
SHEESH!

Jairus,

My comment on the color of the wheels was only to help. Do not missunderstand me.

This was a friendly advise and Chris understood this very well. Just like the day Chris gave me some advise about the black seal I could put on my Cheetaracha clear parts. I was thankfull to learn something that day. So you should make no difference between his advise and mine.

Besides, I feel that the comments on the decals on tires is a recurrent joke. Nothing rude. I'm sure of that because this joke was followed by compliments.

Though I'm also pretty sure that your reaction is caused by some recent comments that were not so fair (and about which I gave my personnal opinion to Chris on PM because I was shocked). And about that, I'm sure that we have the very same opinion. Ask your friend Chris...

Indeed what I appreciate here is to find artist's works that demonstate that several people here have their own style. This is something I like in art: be able to regognize the personnality of the artist. This is has to be respected, indeed.

At last, Art or Craftmanship can be commented or criticized. There are ways to do so without hurting people.

Regards.
(Bud)light is right!

#14 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

Then pleeezzzeee take your corrections to PM. Allow the builder to save face, make their own corrections and re-post with out the public humiliation. Okay JM?

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#15 Jean-Michel Piot

Jean-Michel Piot

Plastic surgeon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

Then pleeezzzeee take your corrections to PM. Allow the builder to save face, make their own corrections and re-post with out the public humiliation. Okay JM?

Public humiliation ? :blink: Isn't that a bit too strong ?
(Bud)light is right!

#16 Thom Byrnes

Thom Byrnes

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

I have been working to acquire all of the pieces to put both this car and the BRM together. I am almost there but for a driver figure and the trailing suspension arms. From the Cox catalog I recently obtained it appears that the suspension pieces were not sold separately. Does anybody know of a source for these either original or if someone has fabricated them. I need two pairs. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. To get back on track as far as this thread is concerned, I look forward to seeing what Chris does next. Seeing his stuff is one of the reasons I keep coming back to this site. I have a file folder in my computer just to archive his work. While some may find some of the comments that have been posted whenever Chris posts picture of his latest creation offensive, I do not think that they are mean spirited. Whether a comment be an attempt at humor or constructive criticism, it seems someone always misconstrues what the author is trying to say. On other boards whenever I tried to be funny or to make a "tongue in cheek" comment it was always misconstrued by someone so I no longer attempt it.

#17 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

I have been working to acquire all of the pieces to put both this car and the BRM together. I am almost there but for a driver figure and the trailing suspension arms. From the Cox catalog I recently obtained it appears that the suspension pieces were not sold separately. Does anybody know of a source for these either original or if someone has fabricated them. I need two pairs. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Thom

Those suspension pieces are hard to find - you can make them pretty easy but you'll need one to goby ;-( I've done it before and it looked pretty good. It maybe worth a try.
Chris Clark

#18 Jean-Michel Piot

Jean-Michel Piot

Plastic surgeon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:27 AM

Sorry Chris to revert to our former discussion.

I just wanted to point out that when Philippe de Lespinay commented the wheels of my Monogram Lotus 33 for instance or the color of the helmet on the Cox 2E I restored or built, I made no confusion and did not consider that it was "public humiliation".

I took that for usefull advise.

I hope that you consider my advise about the color of wheels just alike.

I do not consider either I would have been right to say to the Doktor "pleeeeeeeeze, do not humiliate me in public" ... This would have been ridiculous. And I mean it.

One thing for sure everyone would agree with : I did not point out some "error to feel better because I'm unable to do the same"... I actually DO the same or something alike (each artist has his own style).

Now, once again I consider that Jairus went too far and this was due to a certain recent criticism the both of Chris and me still have in mind.

He was right to react as I think I was right to react through the PM to you, Chris.

But maybe we were both wrong in the form of our reaction: Maybe we both should have reacted immediately and publicly concerning the above mentioned criticsm rather than sending you a message (as for me) or, as I believe, confuse things in a too strong reaction (as for Jairus).

Now I'm not asking anything to Jairus.

Should Jairus admit that he went too far, I would appreciate and feel better. As I said before I understand that one may loose his temper due to some recent criticsm.

Jairus, if you don't, well that's not so important.

But there is one thing I want to know (this is rather addressed to PdL and Dokktor's assistants): is this forum a place where everyone should say "amen" or "great, what a tremendous job" and do not publicly propose some enhancement as a constructive criticism or what ?

Why publicly? For everyone to be informed of the possible enhancement. Otherwise one may copy an "error" or may not benefit from a technical trick (like the black seal on clear parts for instance).

Do not missunderstand me again, I'm talking of constructive advice, not of bullshit about a certain 2E to be more clear.

If we cannot give or receive contructive criticism here, I would leave this forum for good and find a better place where the level of skills and knowledge may raise up or only show my work in the French Forum where I come from where the mood is excellent, where we have fun, where we exchange tricks, where we make jokes even about other's job but also where we do not let people make unconstructive criticism.

Faithfully.
(Bud)light is right!

#19 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:58 AM

Thom,

The original Cox F1 suspension arms are indeed difficult to find, but if you can get hold of a copy of the instruction sheet, there's a pattern on there I believe... You might try the plans library at the VSRN website.

I have to say too, that the "criticism" here all seems very constructive and friendly, and this seems to apply about 99% of the time.

Looking forward to seeing more of all our resident artists' work!

Don

#20 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

Jean-Michel,
I am not sure what you are expecting from me here? Is an apology something you seek? Once again, I believe this is not the forum or venue for such discussions and should have best be pursued via personal message or email.
But since you persist I can only assume that you want a public apology from me for voicing my opinion on a public forum where, strangely enough, you yourself are arguing that opinions should freely be allowed. Interesting twist that… I suspect you are well educated and most likely in some profession such as law…

At any rate, I apologize for being rude to you and to the other members of this forum. My response was too harsh and too cold. I should have thought it out longer before responding. I do not apologize for the content of my statement however!
Quite a few Europeans have labeled me as the “Rude American” because my posts are direct and sometimes biting. I guess this is because I don’t have the luxury of sitting down and writing a carefully worded “tome” every time I want to say something. At any rate, I shall watch what and how I write more carefully. Sorry to offend you.

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#21 Jean-Michel Piot

Jean-Michel Piot

Plastic surgeon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

My friend,

1. I did not want any apology but simply that you admit that the "attack" was not directed to the good persons. Too large so it included me as I had just given my opinion about the color of wheels and while you cited such a criticism.

Well guessed, I'm a lawyer (said once here, don't remember where, about the fact that apart from my domain I rather have a poor English).

Now, I'm happy with your message as far as I'm concerned and thank you very much for this. I really appreciate the efforts here.

Furthermore, as far as the "content" of the message is concerned (no matter of the form, only what is signified), I would totally agree with you whenever a criticism of the hard work of a member is not given for a good reason, with good intent, or only consist in a friendly joke.

So I perfectly admit that someone freely gives his opinion about really unfair or bad behavior. In such a case, everyone can use his own style (just like in our common hobby).

By the way and as I said, I've been chocked by a recent message concerning Chris' work. The form was not rude but the content definitively was. Or it was only, in the better case, something stupid said by someone who did not had a long thought before writing.

I'm with you also when you say that i's rude to hear the criticism of a work coming from someone who would be unable to do the tenth or the quarter of the work.

Then to sum up I feel we mostly agree and mainly consider that you choose a wrong or too large target.

2. I also feel that, whenever given with a good intent, we should be able to give criticism. Publicly I mean, for everyone to benefit from the advise. Then when you say that you regret the form but not the content (meaning ALL the content), we do not agree on this...

But well, this is not a problem. This nevertheless implied that I asked other people here to tell me if one can or cannot make constructive criticism.

3. Now, all this make me think of a possible usefull practice...

For those who, just like me, more likely try to make accurate models, why not first create a topic in which we will show the pictures we already have of a car and ask others for more documents ? Every modeller knows that it sometimes takes long to find good documents. That's what I did for my Strombecker Lotus 30.

I would notably be pleased to help for Lotus cars (the one I know better) every time I can.

Of course everyone is free to do whatever he wants, do something really accurate or more like a toy or give no limit to his fantasy; but I feel that for those in need of details it might really be usefull.

Regards.
(Bud)light is right!

#22 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

Hi

There have been a number of threads where I have babbled about the correct color on things.

I ment no offence.

You might like this story, when the Indy cooper was still in the "coming together part"...P had me in the garage looking at the bits. And immediately started with "look I am still working on the color"...

I had said nothing. But he knew what I was seeing. Our discussion was as friends discussing the problems of getting things right and the things you had to accept.

In THAT case, there was trust between P and I. WE both know that as friends we have permission to just speak and know it is ment with affection for each other and love of the projects.

Most of us have not met. But the trust in motives can still be there.

For me, in my "geek ferrari" circles, arguing over the blue is a common subject. No harm ment.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop