Chris Clark

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

Ooh, dig the Dagmar hubnuts, or perhaps we should modernize and call 'em Madonnas, LOL!!!

Chris, are those stock Strommie?

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 bosmeck

bosmeck

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:35 PM

I believe so - PdL may shed some light. :)
Chris Clark

#4 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

I'm pretty sure the wheels were made by Kal-Kar. I've a pair of the front wheels still in the package that are called "Ronda" fronts.

Beautiful work! Strombecker would have sold a ton of 'em with that finish!
Don Hollingsworth

#5 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

Hi,

I have one like that in my box of stuff! Built it in the day. I had the older actual version and when the Scuttler came out thought it was a "natural". Mine is a lot less pretty having been raced in the day and run a lot since. It has "experience"... grin.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#6 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:06 AM

Beautiful workmanship but why the silly looking Ben Hur hubs?

Also, in every photo of the 250F that I have seen, the windscreen base is body color - but then, I have never been a big fan of "Kalifornia Kustoms".

EM
Alan Schwartz

#7 Jean-Michel Piot

Jean-Michel Piot

Plastic surgeon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

JAAAAIIIIIIRUUUSSS!!! You're requested here...

- Just joking... :mosking:

And don't say that's because of me...

The Ben-hur caps are there against the enemies. People let you win the race BUT do not let you win a lap over them... New concept. Interesting!

Splendid paint work, anyway... :yes:
(Bud)light is right!

#8 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

The "Ben Hur" knockoffs were very typical of Strombecker. They were especially - and logically - featured on their version of the James Bond Aston Martin, but if I remember right, they were also included in the 1/32 competition series: Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari, E-Jag.

Don

#9 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,491 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:35 AM

Strombecker sold these pointed thingies separately as well as inside several of their kits. The same parts, made in Japan, were also sold by Gar-Vic and Kal-Kar and possibly others.

The black windshield base is incorrect of course, by really, who cares since this is a kind of tribute to JM Fangio and does not have to be so authentic. I mean, it needs wire wheels, too! :laugh2:

Beautiful job and typical of what one would have done in 1964, except this example has a much better finish than what I recall... :)

#10 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,147 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

The Ben Hur caps were in the kit from which the chassis was assembled, with much of it in sealed baggies. I added nothing to the chassis that was not in the kit trying my best to build it to handle as good as was possible then as now. (did that make sense?)
The windshield black was my fault. I sent the 1/25 Maserati to Chris with the windscreen cut and masked with the note to "paint here"! My mistake was in leaving out the exact COLOR he was to spray on the lower edge of the windscreen assuming he would shoot the same red as the body. He simply painted the 1/32 the same way as the 1/25th.
I accept full responsibility for all goofs on this and the larger brother. :)

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#11 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

Sorry - a bit of a "knee jerk" reaction on my part - did not know that the hubs were part of the original kit - all I can say in my defense is that I was chased out of slots ~ 46 years ago when tires and shapes began to be "improved" for the sake of speed.

EM
Alan Schwartz

#12 Rhino

Rhino

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

Chris,

Great stuff. The Maser 250F was my favorite Strombecker bod. The actual car was a wonder of rivets, straps and overlapping panels. It was such an agressive looking car that the Ben Hur knockoffs might have looked right on the real thing.

There's an old one in the basement which was painted with a brush and lots of silver paint. Thank goodness for kids in the 1960s who put thick layers of preservative paint over those bodies. It might be time to start trying to strip that old paint off the body. Unfortunately it's the green plastic version which might take a layer of primer and paint. It would be a shame to cover the rivet detail with too much paint.

By the way, the early Strombecker, gray, two-piece wire wheels look pretty good on the car. The pickers of nits might like those better. :laugh2:

Just a quick wheel question for the experts. Were the wire wheels on the original chromed or painted silver?

Too bad Strombecker never made an F-1 contemporary for their 250F to race against. All they had was the Watson roadster. The BRM and Cooper rear engined cars were a bit newer, and certainly from a different era.

My fuzzy old brain seems to recall that the Indy boys did go to Europe for a few races then. The race of Two Worlds was won by a Watson in 1958. Not sure if the 250F was there. Any chance that the Maserati and Watson actually raced against each other? Did Strombecker get it right after all???

Rhino
Terry Hreno
Where's the 3-view? I need to carve another body!

#13 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

Hi

Good to see you on the board again!

The battle of the two worlds, from memory, took place TWICE. I don't have a refrence at hand. Anyway, a supermodified Maserati DID run in one, and did run at indy, but it doesnt look anything like this early maserati 250f. I have often contemplated doing a lot of sheet and putty on the Airfix body that does the long nose Fanuzzi version.

One car that DID run in these was the D type Jag!

The problem with the strombecker is that is was closer to 1/30, and is just too big. I have airfic/mrrc maserratis as well, and the stromie in that configuration just towers over the others.

Have a nasty cold and my mind is swiss cheeze right now, otherwise I would look up details.

As I remember, I have a dozen or so of the chassis NOS in a box somewhere, the chassis kit also came with 3 prong knockoffs.

Anyway, the wires were painted. cracks in the paint were supposed to warn you about damage.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#14 H10

H10

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:08 AM

fantastic made ! :shok:
Rene Goessens

#15 slowjim

slowjim

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

The Race of Two Worlds was held in 1957 and 1958 at the Monza track in Italy. The sole European entries in 1957 were 3 Ecurie Ecosse D Jaguars, which finished the race in the last 3 spots, being lapped 12 to 30 times. The race was won by Jimmy Bryan. They earned enough prize money to spark interest from other builders and factories the following year. Ferrari brought out a car they built for the Indianapolis 500 four years before. The Italian ice cream company, El Dorado had a Maserati-powered special built. It had nothing in common with the 250F except the rear suspension. It was powered by a 4.2 liter V-8, based on the engine from the 450S sports-racer. Stirling Moss was the driver, and he crashed in the 3rd heat. The race was won by Jim Rathman. The rules for both races were stacked in favor of the American Indy cars, rolling starts, counter-clockwise race direction, and limited corners. The infamous high-banked section of Monza was used, and the most of the European cars did not have tires that could withstand the high forces involved.
Jim Bronson

Electric Dreams Online Shop