• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#26 911GT3

911GT3

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

Just curious? where there any cars outfitted with say a JK -F-7 or a TSR motor?

I insisted on trying a TSR motor in Can-Am. My worse than usual results were more from race damage in the first heat and attempting to perform repairs. There were several Falcon-7s in the field too.

Eric Balicki

#27 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

It really didn't matter what color Ron painted the bodies, they were just blurs going by anyhow.

Correct, Eric. Booo to the critics. "Parking lot one color rattle can 10 minutes before the main" men, unite !!!
Greg Wells, are you out there ?

And some of you wonder why there are not more entries? Would you like to read what the 99.999% of slot racers worldwide think about such cars when they see them?
Hey, whatever, some of you really ARE SCM's. But I can see the onlookers reactions when a good-looking car like one painted by the Noosester shows up. They turn from contempt to enthusiasm.
Now this being said, "last-minute" thrash may explain why many show up with ugly bodies to race. It happens to everyone. It is sad that it has to happen to a fellow who actually sells bodies he produces and should know better. Ron is super competent in so many fields, why does he not find a competent painter to do a job he is not good at?
My opinion from far of course.

Now,

1. Ron Hershman 273 laps New Lap Track Record Ron also ran the fastest lap of the race of 4.937 The old lap record was 266.

For the ones who wonder why the speeds appear quite slow compared to SoCal D3 speeds on the King, this can easily be explained by the fact that the BP King is good for 1/2 second just sitting there. So I am pretty sure that if Ron raced on the BP King he would be as fast as anyone.

Philippe de Lespinay

#28 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,362 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

What is a "SCM" ?

This was a "warm - up" race. NASCAR test car bodies are gray, no logos, no numbers.

Go Hershman :buba:

Paul Wolcott

#29 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:02 PM

Pablo:

All the NASCAR Cup cars will be 'painted' in this Thursdays Twin 125's, which serves as a 'warmup' for next Sunday's Daytona 500... :rolleyes:

The race at Tom Thumb was an 'official' Ohio Valley race, being run under IRRA rules. It wasn't a practice session.

PdL makes some excellent points. I have always felt that 'pretty' cars are more appealing than half-painted, ugly ones. JMHO. What the hell, I'm also in favor of heavier bodies, spec tires, and racing on lower voltage... all ideas that have been labled as 'hafe (sic) baked' by some.

I know if I was in the body busines, I would attempt to have to have decent looking cars. But I gues it is hard to separate being a racer, from being a businessman... :unsure:

That said, Ron will probably appear at the R4 with gorgeous cars. and break his own records. Ugly, half-painted cars aren't what makes him fast.

Still... rules are rules.

Me thinks he likes playing mind games... ;)

LM

#30 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

BTW, the white rattle can 99 cent wal mart paint works good on "one race bodies" . :yes:

Hey I got two races out of that body so far. Who knows..... I may just run that body again at the R4 ;)

#31 Toremeister

Toremeister

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

And some of you wonder why there are not more entries? Would you like to read what the 99.999% of slot racers worldwide think about such cars when they see them?
Hey, whatever, some of you really ARE SCM's. But I can see the onlookers reactions when a good-looking car like one painted by the Noosester shows up. They turn from contempt to enthusiasm.
Now this being said, "last-minute" thrash may explain why many show up with ugly bodies to race. It happens to everyone. It is sad that it has to happen to a fellow who actually sells bodies he produces and should know better. Ron is super competent in so many fields, why does he not find a competent painter to do a job he is not good at?

Now,
For the ones who wonder why the speeds appear quite slow compared to SoCal D3 speeds on the King, this can easily be explained by the fact that the BP King is good for 1/2 second just sitting there. So I am pretty sure that if Ron raced on the BP King he would be as fast as anyone.

Common Mr. P ! What's with the hypocrisy ;) You have no right to rag on Hershmans Body ! Everyone,please take a look at the body Mr.P raced at the last So.Cal. Retro-Pro race ! :shok: Congratulations to Ron for the Smackdown,,,,,,,,,,,Yessir,to beat ole Sano Dave twice in one day is no small feat ! :good: Congrats to all who showed up,specially to the podium winners !,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SCM =Speed crazed Morons ! :tease:
John Tore Anderson

#32 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

A-Hemmmmmmmmm We had 31 entries..... the most so far for a OVR race in the Can-Am class and just a couple short of how many we had at last years R4 Can-Am event. DH thinking once again.

Sorry painting of the cars has little to do with it when it comes to entries....each is free to paint as they feel needed. make it pretty or make it ugly. Paint does not sell my line of bodies....... performance does. If it wins...it sells. Some could care less about detail, etc while others do.

If I had painted the SOB all red with some white meatballs...it would look like the real thing....... is that good enough for the "enthusiasts" out there?

Sure nicely painted bodies look great....I am pretty sure it would NOT increase total entries. Everyone has free choice to paint as they like.

Like I said before....... it was a test body...one color job to see if it would work and it works well indeed..... sorry it would up as a race body and offended a few out there.

I think for the R4 I just may paint one up in gray primer and on the outside of the body as well. They say the cars run faster at Daytona in primer than in paint. ;) Must be that golf ball effect. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

#33 One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

Not trying to start a argument about the motors......

Hi Ron,
That is the furthest thing that I was wanting to have happen also. Talking to a west coast person the other day coming to the R-4, he seemed a little unsure as to what motor was the choice selection. I said, depends on what Main you wanting to be in, A or F?
A = go Pro Slot
F= F-7/ TSR D-3

Now, after reading you response it really has got me thinking as to why the IRRA committee believes the motors selected are of equal nature? You have said in plain print the Puppy dog is a much more reliable, faster motor then the F/K style motors. So? why are we running these F style motors to begin with? in the same classes?

The purpose of the IRRA motor approval process is to insure that new or modified motors are similar in performance to previously-approved IRRA motors, and to help bring stability to IRRA competition in regards to motor reliability, availability, and pricing.

Maybe we could have a motor claimer rule like in 1:1 racing?

Bill takes some really nice photos, but I can't seem to find them? Does anyone know IF he has posted them?

Slots-4-Ever
Brian McPherson

REM Raceway

"We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having FUN!"

#34 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

Now, after reading you response it really has got me thinking as to why the IRRA committee believes the motors selected are of equal nature? You have said in plain print the Puppy dog is a much more reliable, faster motor then the F/K style motors. So? why are we running these F style motors to begin with? in the same classes?

When we did the motor deal...we did it based on the performance of the motors that were being allowed over anything else. At the First Sano, it was obvious to all that there was no power advantage over FK's versus the P-S's in lap times or straightaway speeds. Plus IRRA is inclusive in the fact we let the two types run together so no matter where one races, they could come to a bigger event and be competitive.

As far as running the same motors against each other...see above. No need to separate them into classes based on the motors themselves.... the racers will dictate which they feel is better by spending their money and what they race.

But then again.... I DID NOT have the fastest motor in yesterdays race. There were plenty of motors faster than mine. It's not all about motors..... it's a combination of chassis, tires, car prep, gearing, driving and some luck. I was in two, somewhat clean races yesterday and raced with some gentlemen who let others go instead of holding them up or trying to race with me when I caught them. You can not win races or set lap records if your off the track and in the marshalls hands.

No need for a motor claim.... I am happy to sell any of my motors right out of the car after the race.

Can it be any better than that????

#35 One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

Hope they can make it to some more of our races.

Hi Pappy,
Yes, I'm guilty of sending in spies, clever hugh? you never seen it coming! :ph34r:

I'm hoping the same thing as we need racers for our field of classes also.

Larry? Rick?....this goes for you'ins also! :friends:

Slots-4-Ever
Brian McPherson

REM Raceway

#36 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:29 PM

Common Mr. P ! What's with the hypocrisy ;) You have no right to rag on Hershmans Body ! Everyone,please take a look at the body Mr.P raced at the last So.Cal. Retro-Pro race ! :shok:

LOL.... I tried earlier to find some pics to post of Herr Dokk's rides to show he should be a bit more critical of himself than others. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

#37 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,362 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

Calm down, everybody. Hershman can beat anybody with a Falcon III and a primer gray body. West or East coast, or in the middle. I have respect for him because I asked him if I could look at his car once. The response was, he put it in my hands. Rande (sp?) was there. No secrets, nothing special. Just a well prepped, straightforward car. No frills. No BS. No special motor. Nothing you or I couldn't build. Simple, yet right. He wins races by testing, not tricks or fanciness.

Brian, IRRA gave motor choices to the consumer. JK Falcon 7 and TSR motors are great powerplants. Or spend a little more $ to get a PS which is rebuildable. Choices, not a motor war. :umnik2:

Hershman, watch your rear view mirror for purple cars, they change shades :laugh2:

Paul Wolcott

#38 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

It has nice numbers and kicker decal.............. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#39 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

It has nice numbers and kicker decal.............. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Yea and the one with the purple numbers was faster than the other white one I had with black numbers on it. Also had yellow ones too.... they were a tad slower as well.

So I used the used white one that was faster. ;) Must have been those purple numbers.

#40 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:45 PM

Deducing that purple is faster then black or yellow. I will have a new color combination at the R4. Damn, I left the purple body in the box too.

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#41 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

No you won't...

We don't have any purple paint... :laugh2:

LM

#42 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

LOL.... I tried earlier to find some pics to post of Herr Dokk's rides to show he should be a bit more critical of himself than others. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Well, here are some recent ones. The # 21 at left is mine:

1_1_1.jpg

The red car is my "one-color" Retro Pro at the Checkpoint Cup. Please note the magic-marker hacked driver:

1_1_1_1.jpg

By the way, Chief-Critic Tore ran an identical body that he borrowed from me (not much of a thank-you as usual for this 55-year old spoiled child ;) ) to run a Retro Pro race not that long ago, but never mind. A Ferrari-red one-color body if done cleanly and with adequate decals and a decently painted driver is something quite different from a plain-white body with non-descriptive "legal" decals and a plain-white driver with a few black marker "accents". What i am saying is that while it is legal, it is grossly sub-standard, especially for a racer of the class and talent of Ron.

The green and yellow car below (on white) was my F1 at the same race. A loaner, but a nice one (it also won two races that day):

1_1.jpg

Here was my Can-Am entry the same day (a well used body too that previously won Concours twice):

1_1_1_1_1_1.jpg

This was my old worn-out F1, used for nearly two years, I loaned it to a racer who did not have a car. He podiumed with it:

Posted Image

This is my concours-winning Ti22 in the same race. Note the hacked-out driver inside the Noose bod:

1_1_1_1_1.jpg

Need I continue?
Tore is quick to criticize the ONE time when I showed up with an old hacked out body simply because time did not even allow to paint one nicely and fit it on the last-minute car. While Tore can paint a nice body, he has also showed with pretty ugly ones time to time, so he might want to keep his mouth buttoned up here.
That Ron believes that looks are not important and the only thing that counts is winning is pretty much the USRA boys attitude that has in my opinion, partly damaged the hobby and why it is at the low-level it is now. That's his opinion. Others my differ and I do. I DO believe that it is NO help to the hobby to show up with visual thrash-mobiles. I also believen that D3 and east Coast series have been pretty successful because it brought new and old racers who really LIKE to show some good-looking cars.

Also no one here began criticizing any motors used in that race, where did that come from? ;)

And by the way, here is the "hacked out" junker I ran in that race that Tore is so besides himself about. It is the yellow one:

1.jpg

Tore can scrounge and search the websites for any of my D3 rides, and he would be had-pressed to even find ONE that would be less presentable than this yellow Porsche. But never mind of course because "he meant well".
Maybe I should ask for my money back??? :angry:

Philippe de Lespinay

#43 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:56 PM

Well, here are some recent ones.

What i am saying is that while it is legal, it is grossly sub-standard, especially for a racer of the class and talent of Ron.

That Ron believes that looks are not important and the only thing that counts is winning is pretty much the USRA boys attitude that has in my opinion, partly damaged the hobby and why it is at the low-level it is now. That's his opinion. Others my differ and I do. I DO believe that it is NO help to the hobby to show up with visual thrash-mobiles. I also believen that D3 and east Coast series have been pretty successful because it brought new and old racers who really LIKE to show some good-looking cars.

How many races did you win with those "purty" race cars?????

Class and talent of Ron.......... Ron has none.

Again.......... the rules allow for the bodies to be painted however. It's the entrant's choice to paint them they way they see fit...unless you want to pay the bills for racers to have "purty" painted bodies. ;)

Looks are ok with me........ I show up to race..... NOT enter a Model Car Contest. If you do.....more power to you. :D

#44 Terry

Terry

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

So you need a fancy paint job to run the R4 and we can claim motors. Maybe everyone will get all their bitching out of the way now so we can still have some fun at the R4. Can we be that lucky?
Terry Watson

#45 One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

Also no one here began criticizing any motors used in that race, where did that come from?

that be my fault... sorry.... :(

Slots-4-Ever
Brian McPherson

REM Raceway

#46 One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

Maybe everyone will get all their bitching out of the way now so we can still have some fun at the R4.

Bitchin?! We are merely stating the facts here my friend. I don't know how you call it what you have?

Ron is an ambassador to out little hobby, he should just look better doing it, while kickkin' our butts with his motors, and his bodies :laugh2:

Slots-4-Ever
Brian McPherson

REM Raceway

#47 68Caddy

68Caddy

The Direktor

• 10,546 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

Philippe the yellow is quit ugly :laugh2: , don't you suppose to have at least three visual numbers? :blush:

Nesta
- Gabriel
Nesta Szabo

In this bright future you can't forget your past.
BMW (Bob Marley and the Wailers)

United we stand and divided we fall, the Legends are complete.
I'm racing the best here at BP but Father time is much better then all of us united.
Not a snob in this hobby, after all it will be gone, if we keep on going like we do, and I have nothing to prove so I keep on posting because I have nothing to gain.
It's our duty to remember the past so we can have a future.

Pistol Pete you will always be in my memory.

#48 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

Looks are ok with me........ I show up to race..... NOT enter a Model Car Contest. If you do.....more power to you. :D
How many races did you win with those "purty" race cars?????

Ron, in fact if you look back in the race results I have quite a few D3 wins over the past 3 years not counting plenty of podiums, and with pretty cars at that. Also when I was open-class racing in the 1970's, my cars always looked pretty nice as can be seen in the old mags.
We have Concours in D3, maybe you do not. Point is, I care and you don't. It is that simple. Would it break you to ask for a local painter to paint your bodies?

Philippe de Lespinay

#49 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

Would it break you to ask for a local painter to paint your bodies?

No..... they can paint them solid white just as well as Rande can. ;) Hey I have some real purty Noose bodies...... too purty to race.... sitting on my shelf now.

Hey I have ran and won with some purty cars in the past too....... purty or ugly.... the bodies wound up in the trash can afterwards.

Now let's take a poll....... how many here refuse to show up at the R4 if Ron's car is solid white?????

How many more will attend if Ron's car is real purty and multi colored????

How many gives a rat's butt what color Ron's car is or how's it painted?????

#50 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

The current racers probably do not care. The potential racers sitting on the fence do. What they see here may not encourage them to step forward.
And yes, you of all people SHOULD give a good example.

Philippe de Lespinay

Electric Dreams Online Shop