• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smartresins

smartresins

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

I got a AW chassis with a Duke of Hazzard car. Also getting a four gear I believe with the S'cool bus. I am wanting to know how to hop these up for drag racing. Thank you. Jody
Jody Michielsen

#2 Big E

Big E

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

I got a AW chassis with a Duke of Hazzard car. Also getting a four gear I believe with the S'cool bus. I am wanting to know how to hop these up for drag racing. Thank you. Jody

My suggestion would be to toss the AW chassis and use a real Aurora A/FX chassis, then do your drag modifications. (Relax guys, just kiddin' !!) There are a lot of people that think the same way, though. Bottom line - have FUN with whatever it is you're racin' !! - Ernie
Ernie Finamore

#3 Big E

Big E

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

My suggestion would be to toss the AW chassis and use a real Aurora A/FX chassis, then do your drag modifications. (Relax guys, just kiddin' !!) There are a lot of people that think the same way, though. Bottom line - have FUN with whatever it is you're racin' !! - Ernie

Hey, Jody, I'm sorry - almost two weeks and nobody tries to give this racer a hand? I figured all you straight line guys would jump at the chance to add another to your ranks. (Or maybe just bust MY chops!) Alright, I'll put in my two cents worth. Here's some easy suggestions. Get some slip-on silicone tires for the rears. The fronts, too, or try O-rings.Tires that roll true and get some traction are the key here. Snap in a steel guide pin. Take the whole chassis apart, clean it, install some aftermarket motor brushes (Wizzard has good ones), and lubricate everything properly upon re-assembly. (If the chassis are pretty new the original brushes will probably be OK for now.) EASY on the oil hole on the bottom of the chassis! Use the old Aurora red stuff or the modern equivalent for that spot, DON"T use liquids in pinpoint applicators there, save them for the rest of the car. Be sure the pickup shoes are lying FLAT on the rails (use a spare piece of track and a good light to check), adjust with a small needlenose pliers if needed. Make sure everything spins smoothly, the older Johnny Lightning cars had some nasty gearmesh issues, the newer Auto World cars seem to be much better. Especially take a good look at the 4 gear car, for obvious reasons. A small wheelie bar may be needed, so you can make a little skid for the rear, or I like to use the roller/lever assembly from a micro switch. These can be had at Radio Shack for about 3 bucks each. One small self tapping screw can attach these to the back of the chassis, be careful where you make the hole! I don't know your level of experience, so I hope this stuff isn't too basic and I hope I've helped you out. Substituting an original Aurora AFX chassis is still a good alternative, but I'm sure you'd like to use what you've got, or you wouldn't have asked in the first place. Post your results and I'll try to remember to check back if I can. Whatever goes down, have fun !! - Ernie
Ernie Finamore

#4 Dee Irons

Dee Irons

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

The aw/jl chassis work well for drag racing too...the other thing to try would be to ever so slightly stretch the com brush springs and polish the com plates.......true and balance the com if rules allow ....and try to keep good shoe spring pressure ( this will change from car to car):
I got a T-Jet for my wife... Man, was that a good trade!

Electric Dreams Online Shop