7 replies to this topic

#1 KenMiles

KenMiles

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:41 PM

Hi Builder-Racers

As tools go, the Adel sheet metal nibbler is an old standby, but new to me. For those of you already familiar with the Adel nibbler, there's probably nothing I can add.

However to those who are NOT aware of this handy little device, this is, I believe, a must have.

I'd spent some considerable time searching brick and mortar hardware stores for the Adel nibbler but to no avail- despite it being a longtime sheet metal tool standby. Ordinarily, I don't shop the internet. But in the case of the Adel, it was most easily acquired this way.

Posted Image

This one was purchased from an outfit named 'Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Company'. Now that is fascinating of itself. The seller supplies spruce wood for airplanes, something I'd never have dreamed is still in practice.

Aircraft Spruce has two locations, one in Georgia and one in nearby Corona California. (nearby to my home in Desert Hot Springs, California) I ordered it Monday and by Tuesday it was at my door.

Posted Image

In this pic you can see how it compares with a less expensive Taiwan import. I'd found the import near impossible for cutting 1/32" thick brass, while I'd found the Adel gets the job done with ease. Part of this is due to the fact that the Adel cuts off a smaller chunk, so that more force is applied to a smaller area- in other words, it bites harder, enabling cutting of thicker material. You'll also notice the difference in configuration, which actually the import is easier to read its direction. However, that's pretty meaningless if you cannot cut the thickness of material you are using.

The Adel is old school, designed to be able to replace its bit when it wears down- and it's made in the U.S.A.

This is much easier than using the Dremel, as brass gets quite hot under a cutoff disk. Not only that, but Dremel wheels like to travel, having ruined many a nice piece of brass.

Hope this helps, chassis builders-

ThanX,
:bye:
Allen Low

#2 Slotgeezer

Slotgeezer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

Thank you, Alan....

:thank_you2:

Yes, I learned about the Adel nibbling tool yrs. ago... & have used one to make-up dozens of side pans...

Very versitle tool...

Thanks for sharing, for our neophite builders...

Take care, & good building & racing. :good:

Jeff Easterly :dance3:

Jeff Easterly - Capt., Team Wheezer...
Asst. Mechanic, Team Zombie...
Power is coming on... NOW!!!

#3 Gus Kelley

Gus Kelley

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

Hey Guys! That tool used to be available at Radio Shack. Gus
Gus Kelley
12/01/54-7/22/14
Requiescat in Pace

#4 4laneron

4laneron

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:40 AM

You can get it here www.adelnibbler.com

Ron Warner

#5 Bob Chaney

Bob Chaney

Slot Car Hobbyist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

I have ordered mine! Thanks for the recommendation and purchase information.

Ô¿Ô bob chaney :: slot car hobbyist

.. how's it going? too early to tell, too late to do anything about it :: Q>
.. it will always be easier to create penalties for violation, than reason for conscience

.. one thing's for certain, nothing's for sure .. everything is possible, nothing is likely
.. (early advice from HT) .. don't just write there, say something!
.. if it wasn't this, it would just be something else .. no good deed goes unpunished
.. we are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us .. damn bukowski

#6 The Bugman

The Bugman

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

and besides where youve mentioned,you can get one by KLIEN at any electrical wholesale house,ive had mine for a few years,and i can go thru .062 with ease,,they may be a bit more $$$ there,bout $24.00,,,,,invaluable when needed,,,,
Oscar Morales
8/16/49-9/18/13
Requiescat in Pace

#7 Phil Irvin

Phil Irvin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi Builder-Racers

As tools go, the Adel sheet metal nibbler is an old standby, but new to me. For those of you already familiar with the Adel nibbler, there's probably nothing I can add.

However to those who are NOT aware of this handy little device, this is, I believe, a must have.

Posted Image
The Adel is old school, designed to be able to replace its bit when it wears down- and it's made in the U.S.A.

hehehehe. :D I get to call ya an "olfrt" too....I got my first in 67. I used it enough that I has to sharpin the cutting face twice! When I got back into slots in early 90s. It had gottin lost in that "moving" box never to be seen again. Went looking for one to replace it and couldn't find one. Then came RETROs and then I HAD to find a good one. After weeks looking. I found the KLIEN version and it had a rubber faced handle.. :wub: ol' hands like the rubber facing!...I found the silver one at Harbor F.......My ol hands could bearly fit around it. Like I was holding a 2 by 4.....NOT....

I wonder if they make a small electric nibbler :D .....

PHIL I.

#8 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

Micromark sells this one. I've also seen one that attached to your drill. That one was on display at the AMA convention a year ago.
Powered Nibbler
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

Electric Dreams Online Shop