• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pbj59

pbj59

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

Looking at Mr. Coney's site and saw these O gauge cars.

I wonder how many different scales slot cars come in?

#2 Zippo

Zippo

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:28 AM

Never seen before, but when I look at the price I know why...

Regards,
Richard Muschalik

Visit me at my 1/43 home

#3 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:50 PM

Those are Aurora "A-Jets" cars from 1962-63, sold separately and in racing sets on a track slightly-larger but otherwise identical to that of their HO line. They were not a commercial success but can still be found quite easily. Their average current value is $60-80 unboxed, and $140-170 boxed (well, carded anyway!)

So,

Buy This Now for $3,750

sounds like well-wishing and fishing for a rich but ignorant bozo...

Philippe de Lespinay

#4 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

Ah, Philippe, good thing I'm around to check your facts...

The A-Jets were Aurora's 1/32 line with the Challenger motors. The 1/48 line was "Super Model Motoring", announced in late '63, and released at end of that year or early '64...

Some of these are easier to find than others, but they seem to be holding their value pretty well, although without going super high...

Don

#5 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

I have (well, had now...) some carded that say "A-Jets" and are marked "Copyright Aurora 1962"... but most say "Super Model Motoring" and are marked... "Copyright Aurora Model Motoring 1964" on the cards.

The "A-Jet" labelling was re-introduced with the 1964 1/32 scale cars, then again in 1970 with the Can-Am cars with the "Motorific" style motors...

Philippe de Lespinay

#6 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

Ah... I stand corrected, at least I think so!

Pretty amazing stuff, Philippe - you don't still have one of those packages around by any chance do you? The 1962 copyright date is pretty strange, since they weren't released till late '63 at the earliest - old packages?

Maybe the A-Jet was their original name for the T-Jet?

Don

#7 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

you don't still have one of those packages around by any chance do you?

We should have some in the Kollektion. I sold a lot of those but I believe that we retained some. I do not know if any racing sets were issued or just cars.

Those cars were originally marketed in September 1962 without any success under the "A-Jet" name, then re-introduced on cards with different graphics in September 1963 under the new marketing "Super Model Motoring" scheme. They were not any more successful and vanished rapidly (two years).

Meanwhile K&B issued the 1/32 scale program, sold it to Aurora, and those became the second itereation of the "A-Jet" cars. That died in 1968.

When Jim Russell took over the program in 1971, he made larger cars and a new track and they were called again, "A-Jet". No luck either and those are the rarest of all the 'bigger than HO" Aurora cars.

I got the whole story and docs from Jim Russell hisself.

Regards,

Philippe de Lespinay

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for all information...

Just found this: http://cgi.ebay.de/w...fromZR40QQfviZ1

Regards,

#9 Zippo

Zippo

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:13 AM

...always look if you are loged in.... :| :|
Richard Muschalik

Visit me at my 1/43 home

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:25 AM

Those "Gilbert" 007 cars were in fact manufactured for Gilbert by Aurora on a sub-contract.

Philippe de Lespinay

#11 Weird Jack

Weird Jack

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:28 AM

You'll find some Aurora O gauge stuff on eBay from dragjet. Chris also makes resin bodies for them I believe.

I used to sell a ton of O gauge tires before I put away those molds. They are still fairly popular among vintage HO enthusiasts.

I remember back in like 1964 the local hobby shop had their HO racing track set up using O guage track. It was a blast to race T-Jets on because of the wider lane spacing. The pickup spacing is the same as T-Jet. Actually, some Aurora T-Jet sets included sections of O guage curved track as part of special layouts.

Weird Jack Stinson
Rocket Science Ltd.

#12 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:01 AM

I've got some pieces of O guage - curves, and adapters to insert it into the regular Aurora HO track. One of these days I've got to sell it, because I'd rather race on my Carrera track. Just have to get the pics together and post it for sale.

Marcus P. Hagen -- see below, my five favorite quotes: applicable to slot cars & life in general.
[ "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.". . Daniel Patrick Moynihan ]
[ "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students.". . . . . . . . Hector Berlioz ]
[ "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness." . . . . . . . . . . . Dave Barry ]
[ "Build what you like to build, they are all doomed." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Prof. Fate ]
[ "The less rules the more fun. Run what you brung." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Larry LS ]

Electric Dreams Online Shop