• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Huber

Mark Huber

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:48 PM

Perhaps this post belongs on another forum, because it's really more about a vintage race car rather than a vintage slot car, but here goes...

The BRM P261 has always been one of my favorite Formula 1 cars, but I wasn't all that sure I could find a 1/32 model of this car.

Imagine my joy, when on page 5 or 6 of a Google search, I discovered a SCX model of the P261.

But, upon closer inspection, when I noticed 8 injection tubes stacked on one side of the engine, I concluded that SCX had built a model of the BRM H16, and labled it a P261.

The P261 was one of BRM's most successful versions, but the H16 was a clunker if I remember correctly.

Now here's my problem; do I buy the SCX knowing it isn't the model I want? Should I just be happy that I found something in the right scale and color (and even with the right driver although truth be told, I would have preferred Jackie Stewart)? Is there a real P261 model out there in 1/32 that actually looks like the real thing? God knows that I don't have the talent to build my own.

Attached Images

• BRM_P261jpg.jpg
  • scxbrmf1.jpg

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,294 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:28 PM

Mark,
Indeed SCX does not know what they are talking about! What you see in their box is the 1966 BRM H16 3-liter, the P83. What a bunch of Spanish goofs! :laugh2:

Anyway, there is a really nice one available but you have to hunt for it. Super Shells made two BRM models, the 1962 P57 and the 1964 P261. As a bonus, they are molded in the almost perfect BRM color with the slight metallic tinge in the plastic, needing but a clear coat to be perfect. The P261 body kit is not that difficult to find, search E-Pay UK and US as well as E-Pay Spain as many kits were found in Portugal.
It is simply splendid and Super Shells also made really nice wheels and inserts for the car, assuming that you mount different tires.
If you can't find that one, try the MRRC that is also quite neat.

Looks like the pic you posted might be of my friend Robs Lamplough in his P261 that he often races at UK and European meets.

Philippe de Lespinay

#3 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

Hi

The MRRC was reissued a few times in the 90s and early 2000s and is probably the easier one to find. HOWEVER, all of them come with a specious front wing that one must cut off and means refinishing the body. These are powered by a semi-clunky brass chassis with a modern S can like the current S cans in Scalex and Fly models.

The ultimate version of the MRRC was issued in the 60s and can still be found. It was called "Clubman" issue and comes with an adjustable aluminum chassis and a twin magnet open frame motor that is really effective in home track usage. This one is usually about the price of the SCX you are looking at.

The SCX is a "retro" re-issue using a 60s open frame motor and really isn't supposed to be used but displayed. And, as you observe is an overlarge not very good copy of the H16 car.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#4 John Secchi

John Secchi

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:31 PM

Built a Super Shells bodied scratch car for vintage race in the uk a couple of few ago, the body is modelled on the low exaust version and as Mr P says it's quite decent.
A uk dealer might be able to sort one out for you, try Phil Smith.
[oneofwos]
1956-2020
Requiescat in Pace

#5 Mark Huber

Mark Huber

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

Thanks to all for the information about the BRM P261 Super Shell and MRRC cars. I haven't had any luck finding either on ebay, but I did locate a picture of an MRRC model (which I wish I owned).

Was that large opening on the nose accurate? No matter, that MRRC model looks pretty good to me. So, I'll keep searching. I did find the car shell only with nose wings (where did those come from!)

I also located the SCX narrative/insert that I presume comes inside the "P261", or rather H16 box. It's pretty clear that the SCX research is a bit shoddy, at least when it comes to mid 60's BRMs. I'm definitely not buying the SCX, even if they did a nice job with Graham Hill's mustache!

Attached Images

• HPIM0209.jpg

#6 Howmet TX

Howmet TX

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:29 AM

Yes- the large opening is accurate for Jackie Stewart's car. Graham Hill's had two smaller cut-outs.

The MRRC shell is easy to find over here, and cutting the nose fins off the later version is no big deal. I've been running one at our North London club meetings for some time. It's sweet!

John Dilworth

#7 John Secchi

John Secchi

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:58 AM

Mark
The picture you have is indeed the MRRC body but fitted to one of ABSlot's nice lazer cut chassis.
The later bodies with the front wings were an attempt in the late 70's/early 80's to get some extra sales millage out of the F1 range of cars which included the 66 Honda and the Eagle, these later bodies were also modified to take a can motor with plastic bracket which popped into fittings moulded into the body and which are visible just in front of the rear axle.
[oneofwos]
1956-2020
Requiescat in Pace

#8 beardogracing

beardogracing

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:16 AM

Posted Image
Here's a photo of a Supershells BRM low exhaust body, hope it helps, the MRRC car pictured above is Jay Hardy's proxy car, it is indeed a MRRC with a Beardog Racing / AB Slotsport chassis.

Chris :D

Chris Wright

#9 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,294 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

All these P261 cars had 13" wheels, but all the models shown look like they are running on 18 inchers with East LA low-rider rubber... :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#10 beardogracing

beardogracing

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

Stay tuned to this channel, as soon as I can get my digi-cam up and running I'll post a pix of what my BRM looks like now. Completely remodelled with Al's (BWA) 13" wheels. I combined the front of the SuperShells with the rear of a MRRC, now it's looking good!

Chris

Chris Wright

#11 philsmith

philsmith

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

I have plenty of the Airfix/MRRC body shells in stock and also complete cars., I have Supershells bodies but am lacking screens, although the MRRC one fits ok.

Posted Image

Airfix added rear wings to the car later on to get even more mileage out of the car!, These can all be taken off to reveal the basic car underneath.

Posted Image
  • Jocke P likes this
Phil Smith (UK)
scaleslotcars

#12 M.R.Field

M.R.Field

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

If you can wait a wee while, FPF Models are doing a P261 high exhaust in strict scale with wheel inserts to match Al's (BWA) 13" wheels as ours are too slim.
Cheers,
Martin
  • Jocke P likes this

#13 Mark A Huber

Mark A Huber

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:58 PM

It's been so long since I posted that I forgot my user ID and password so I had to start fresh. I've to start writing these things down.

Anyway, I finally was able to purchase a pristine MRRC BRM from the UK. Attached are the before and after pictures. I know I lowered the value of the car by 2/3s or more by painting it, but so what? This is going to the grandkids someday and not back on Ebay. And while my efforts are not up to the standards of most if not all of the folks in this forum, I think it turned out okay. I do have to touch up the front just a bit. And for the life of me, I don't know how to duplicate that cool dark gray green BRM color.

My thanks to all the kind folks who helped me in my search. When or if my soldering improves (a lot!), I might just move this shell to one of the Beardog chassis that are waiting to be assembled. Mark

Attached Images

• MRRC BRM arrivalJPG.jpg
  • MRRC BRM a la Hills winner.jpg

#14 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

Hi

Ya, but did you have FUN? I admit that I never thought about collectability on any of my purchases. I let Philippe worry. Over the Decades, my MRRC open frame clubmans have given me hours and hours of good track fun. Love them.

From the "sit" I am guessing you found the more modern brass chassis with S can version of the car.

I have been toying mentally with a scratchbuild project using the newer FF motor to get a better "sit" from the body.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#15 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,294 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

I know I lowered the value of the car by 2/3s or more by painting it, but so what?

Mark,
The only way these MRRC BRMs have any value is if you find a pre-1970 sealed kit. So don't worry about value, the difference between your before and after model would not buy you a decent meal at your local dive. :)
Nice job on the model but please paint all that chrome (wheels, injectors and all the bright stuff) like BRM did, in plain grayish silver... :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#16 Mark A Huber

Mark A Huber

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Yes, this car has the can motor and a plastic chassis. I do have another MRRC BRM with the older metal chassis and motor (Clubman?). Unfortunately, that was my first attempt at historical realism and the results do not stand up at all to the harsh reality of digital photography! I should have made the mistakes with my Jackie Stewart car!

I will paint the wheels as I did on my first model. I used a 'graphite metallic' shade to cover the other chrome pieces, but I will use grey for the wheels. I really should replace the tires as well, the stock stuff doesn't look right to me.

I don't collect for value, which is a good thing as I couldn't resist the temptation to open a sealed kit. If I had known anything about that I would never have opened my Cox Dino Ferrari back in the mid to late sixties or whenever it was that I bought it.

And yes, I had a lot of fun.

Mark

#17 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,294 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

And Mark, fun is what it is all about. :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#18 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

Hi

When P was still collecting, one of our agreements was that I would send him the NOS sealed kits I found and he would sent me lots of parts in return because I run them!

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#19 Mark A Huber

Mark A Huber

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

Well, I purchased another MRRC BRM, this one an unassembledkit in its original box. But the box wasn't sealed so obviously it had no real value. Posted Image Since a bought it for the same price as the 2 assembled BRMs I already own, I won't feel a bit of remorse when I open it, paint it, assemble it and race it. I'm sure collecting boxes and untouched kits is fun for some, but it's not my cup of tea.

Now that Chris W. has been kind enough to instruct me in some of the finer points of painting and detailing, I think it's time I get one of these beauties done right. I'm thinking Monza, 1965, #36.

This one will go on a Beardog chassis. Maybe I'll leave the Clubman in the box. Untouched of course! Posted Image

Cheers!

#20 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:54 AM

Hi

The old clubman with the Ks type open frame motor is a very very quick home track car.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop