• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,723 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

I use a different method that does not require a lighter, but relies on the most important point of a crown and pinion mesh: that the crown gear NEVER crowds the pinion under hard cornering, something that WILL happen if the lash is not correctly set up. MOST racers adjust their gear mesh from the WRONG side of the crown gear, ending with a gear mess.

1) Do what Joe recommends as far as the axle being completely free in the bearings. "Resistance is futile" said the Borg. So it is, if you want to be robbed of power. Bearing alignment is critical. I always solder one and leave the other "free", then adjust and solder that side after everything else is set. Same with ball bearings but i use Loctite for those, one side at a time.

Joe also points out the necessity to solder the pinion so that the "cone" points to the outside of the shaft. It sounds funny but indeed, I have witnessed backwards installation more than once. It WILL function, but not too well. Mind blowing... ;)

2) Affix the wheels and whatever needed spacers to the axle, with the crown gear left free in the center. I recommend to ALWAYS run at least one spacer on each side, regardless of how thin, because it will reduce overall friction with either plain or ball bearings. Set the side play to a minimum but make SURE that there IS enough of it so that the axle turns freely. To adjust, tighten one wheel permanently, then tighten the other lightly and rotate it until the side slop is at its minimum while the axle still rotates freely, and tighten in steps until happiness is achieved.

3) As Joe recommends, lightly tighten the crown gear after setting it right against the pinion, so that you can still rotate it by hand.

Now is the important step:

- PUSH on the offside wheel (set on the opposite side of the crown's teeth), while holding the armature from moving. Easy to do on a D3 motor with your thumb, not so easy on a PS as there is no room. For this I use a small wood stick through one of the can's holes locking the arm from rotating.

- While holding on both the arm and pushing on the off-side wheel, back the crown gear by twisting it until there is a minimal lash between it and the pinion's teeth.

- Now check that the lash is still the same by rotating the wheel and checking the lash on 360 degrees, while pushing on the offside wheel. If too tight at one spot because the gear is not perfectly round, back the gear just a tad at that spot.

- Tighten the gear's setscrew in sequence until the lash is perfect and the gear does not crowd the pinion when the offside wheel is pushed towards the gear.

In most cases and regardless of a hypoid condition, the gear mesh set that way will be completely silent, with no need for deforming the plastic by heating it. Heating the plastic a second time after it was injected in the original mold will seriously weaken it, so I do not like to do it. I personally prefer the gear to "learn" the pinion and set itself through break-in, but if you are in a hurry or the gear is noisy regardless of your efforts as described above, then the lighter will complete the setup.
I did not fail to note that my little 1/32 scale MATRA had the quietest gear mesh in the race yesterday... :)

Over 3/4 of the cars I check for gear mesh at D3 races appear to have a correct mesh, that is until I push on the offside wheel. You can HEAR these cars cornering silently in one direction, and making gear noise in the other direction. Talk about power loss... ;)

#27 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• 21,393 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

Dokk... so true. I didn't write that about the offset wheel because I usually use that side to check the lash. Thanks for adding that.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#28 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

I did not fail to note that my little 1/32 scale MATRA had the quietest gear mesh in the race yesterday... smile.gif

Well, did you silence the crowd with a win??? Stealth your way into the winners circle? Sneak onto the podium? wink.gif

#29 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

Thanks, Barney - much appreciated. :)
Ron Thornton

#30 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,723 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:59 PM

Well, did you silence the crowd with a win??? Stealth your way into the winners circle? Sneak onto the podium?

No, the car was all new and needed more sorting out, it could not be pushed without doing all kinds of acrobatics. I think that it is too short and the body used did not work well on it. wink.gif

But it was by far the quietest, meaning that it likely had the best gear mesh. My cars are ALWAYS very quiet and they win and have won their share... no complaints. smile.gif

#31 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

Dokk, I built your car to 3.250". My car (that was as quiet as yours ;) ) is 3.00".

I have never run tires as narrow as yours were. I think if you would have had another .100" more tire width it would have killed us!

Your bottle of Love Lotion is ready for Saturday.

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 club track racing! Dang!

"Even if you're on the Right Track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

Enjoy life! Race Slot Cars and read SlotBlog!

#32 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,723 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

Well, Barn, I have to figure these things out, it has been a long time I raced a brass 1/32 scale car... :)

But the point about setting the gear mesh properly is what is important here. Ron is changing the subject as he often does to create havoc... :laugh2:

#33 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 7,039 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

Ron is changing the subject as he often does to create havoc... :laugh2:

I thought that's what Freeblog is for. smile.gif
You can quote me.

-Mark

#34 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

I have always used your way (locking the arm with your finger to check) of setting gear mesh since you showed me last year but I still heat the gears as I have yet to break one.

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 club track racing! Dang!

"Even if you're on the Right Track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

Enjoy life! Race Slot Cars and read SlotBlog!

#35 Shooter7mustang

Shooter7mustang

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

I have a stupid question; sorry I'm still learning.

Which is the "off side wheel"?

Kevin Myhaver

Bad Dog Racing
Color Me Gone

Romans 1:16 "... for I am not ashamed of the Gospel"

#36 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• 21,393 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

It is the wheel on the side facing the back of the gear.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#37 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,599 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

I guess I haven't been running crown gears long enough to know that either. Thanks. :laugh2:

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#38 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,215 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

FWIW, the terms off-side and near-side are most commonly used in the UK in relation to 1:1 cars.

The side nearest the curb is the near-side.

The side away from the curb is the off-side.

Since cars in the UK are RHD and there they drive going forward in the left lane, as opposed to the right lane as in the US, in the UK the near-side is the passenger side of the car and the off-side is the driver's side.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop