• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

I want to thank the following sponsors and individuals for their donations and support.

Our Race Sponsors:

Callaway Automobiles, Team Cort (Barney Poynor), Eibach, Electric Dreams (Scott Bader), Mid-America Raceway (Roger Schmitt), Mission Trail Insurance (Jeff Bell), Noose Custom Painting (Joe Neumeister), R-Geo Products (Rick Bennardo), Stand 21, TSR (Philippe de Lespinay)

poster.jpg

Thanks also to Mike Kravitz.

Raffle Prize Donors:

Custom Chassis (Craig Correia), Body Mounting jigs (Team Cort-Barney Poynor), Custom painted bodies (Noose), Electric Dreams T-Shirts, (Scott Bader), Pro-Track (tires), Eibach (promotional items), Can Am Calendars (Roger Uusitalo), Women's cosmetics (Mill Conroy), Checkpoint Cup 2009 Book-Steube DVD-SoCal D3 T-Shirt (Keith Tanaka).

Our Race Directors:

Rick Salvino
P1090695_l.jpg

Mike Aguirre
P1100277_l.jpg

Paul Sterrett
P1100381_l.jpg

Robert Park (setup races)
P1090940_l.jpg

Brian Johnson
P1100073_l.jpg

Roger Schmitt
P1100112_l.jpg

Mill Conroy
P1100378_l.jpg

Keith Tanaka

Lenore Gallegos (qualifying)

Our Tech Inspectors:

Jeff Easterly, Paul Sterrett, Doug Matthes, Barney Poynor, Craig Correia, Rick Salvino, Roger Uusitalo

A special thank you to Greg "Cheater" Wells for co-producing/directing the live webcast.

A big thank you to Lenore Gallegos for hosting the Second Annual Checkpoint Cup.
Thanks, Lenore, for the pizza and lunch.

Again, thank you to our race sponsors who also donated to our group dinner held at Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant:

Thanks to those who attended the dinner.

Keith1a.jpg

keith2aa.jpg

Last, but not least, thank you Paul Sterrett for all of your hard work and support.

Let's do it again next year at the Third Annual Checkpoint Cup!

Keith :rolleyes:

Team Rolling Hills circa '66-'68

#2 68Caddy

68Caddy

The Direktor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:45 AM

Keith,

All I can say this must have been the best show so far and your coverage was outstanding as usual. You are a true sport and a gentleman. ;)

Thanks,

Nesta
- Gabriel
Nesta Szabo

In this bright future you can't forget your past.
BMW (Bob Marley and the Wailers)

United we stand and divided we fall, the Legends are complete.
I'm racing the best here at BP but Father time is much better then all of us united.
Not a snob in this hobby, after all it will be gone, if we keep on going like we do, and I have nothing to prove so I keep on posting because I have nothing to gain.
It's our duty to remember the past so we can have a future.

Pistol Pete you will always be in my memory.

#3 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:16 AM

Just want to add a few thanks of my own........
Thanks Lenore for staging this great event and thanks John and Adam for all you do to help out the raceway!
Thanks to all the sponsors!!
Thanks to Paul Sterrett for everything you do for BPR and for all thankless agro such as track cleaning, etc.!
Thanks to Keith Tanaka for EVERYTHING you do...reports, photos, videos, the dinner at Knott's and now a great book!
Thanks to Nesta and Flygirl for all they do to promote our hobby... all the great race posters, the videos and a super calender!
Thanks to Keith, Greg Wells and Craig Correia for the live video!
Thanks to all the race announcers and anyone else who helped out in any way!
Congrats to all the winners, Howie, John, Duran, Duran, Duran and DURAN. It seems he decided to make up for last year!!
Congrats to all the podium finishers and all the racers!
Thanks to all the out of towners who attended and great meeting Greg Wells and Jay Guard and great seeing all of the usual suspects who make this race special!
On a final note I would just like to mention Richie Austin of Carthage NC who built the chassis's for Jonathon Forsyth's great showing. With a little more luck these newcomers to D3 could have won a race or 2. Great job!!
Can't wait to do it all again next year!!

#4 Phil Nyland

Phil Nyland

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:02 AM

Ditto Bryan. And thanks to you and Mill! without whom, I would be a consistent last place.

#5 Slotgeezer

Slotgeezer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

The dust has finally settled....
The power is off... The cars put away....
But the excitment continues, as we re-live this event in our minds...
All the races... all our great friends... all the fun & enjoyment... & most of all....
Knowing that it'll happen again... fresh & new.... next year! ;)

I'd like to thank Mr. Jeff Bell, Mr. Ron Kiyomura, Mr. Nesta Zsabo, & of course Ms. Kathy Mitome for allowing Team Zombie to put-forth a great racing effort here at the Checkpoint Cup... Plus, it was wonderful to see, race against, & visit w/ my long-time good friend, Terry de los Santos, who I've raced w/ since '89 ... All the preparation, all the hard work, all the practice couldn't prepare us adequately for the breadth & scope of the event... Without our "crew chief's" direction & suggestions, Team Zombie wouldn't have done as well as we did... Thanks, Ron! ... You da MAN!... Great cars, thank you so much...

This hobby means a lot to every one of the people who participated in this year's "Cup"... It's hard to put into words the way we feel, standing at the driver's panel, getting ready to do battle w/ each other... But, one thing is for certain... When the power comes on, the will to win overwhelms every racer, & for those 24 minutes, THERE ARE NO PRISONERS!!!! :angry:

But then... it's over .... Congratulations to the winner... Commiseration w/ the other participants.... & the knowledge that, next year, we get to try again...

I'm sure looking forward to THAT, eh? ;)

To everyuone involved... Thank you ... We'll do it again, God willing.... & as I'm so fond of saying, regardless of everything else, I wish each & every one of you....

Good racing ... :good:

Jeff Easterly ;)
Assistant mechanic - Team Zombie

Jeff Easterly - Capt., Team Wheezer...
Asst. Mechanic, Team Zombie...
Power is coming on... NOW!!!

#6 68Caddy

68Caddy

The Direktor

• 10,546 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

Jeff
You are so right I'm more happy know as a Zombie then before :shok: have to say it's great to have a crew chief like Ron. ;) I sure fell flat at this movement
but I had a great time with my team and the great guys at Bp. ;)
I guess I would love to have great race event like this every weekend, to hang with the guy's.
Man I'm getting so positive? :blink: I need to get in trouble more often, man the though it self made me smile. :laugh2:

Nesta
- Gabriel
Nesta Szabo

I'm racing the best here at BP but Father time is much better then all of us united.
Not a snob in this hobby, after all it will be gone, if we keep on going like we do, and I have nothing to prove so I keep on posting because I have nothing to gain.

#7 Gus Kelley

Gus Kelley

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hey All! Thank You for a great week. I met some of the best people for the first time and re-met some of the greatest people after more than 35yrs being gone. Thanks to the D-3 Race crew and Lenore for it all. Gus PS Next trip down there will not find me staying at either motel across the street. Loving life!
Gus Kelley
12/01/54-7/22/14
Requiescat in Pace

#8 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

Hi Everyone, I wrote this because i have too much time right now so i am posting this just for fun.It is MY CHECKPOINT CUP 2010

When i arrived in Southern California a week before the races started at Buena Park Raceway just getting off of the plane was a shock.The warm air that i felt on the jetway was a message that it was summer weather that was awaiting me. How could this get any better?Racing in the Checkpoint Cup and getting out of winter.
I first went to Bryan Warmack's shop to see what was going on.Bryan was in a very painful looking thrash having just got back from a trip to Australia to visit his daughter. As many know, Bryan has a really big heart and also friends that like to race his cars.It got a little crazy but in the end it all got done.
They told me that there was a warm up race the next day for F1 and Can Am so i got up and headed for the raceway.I had the Can am that i ran at The Sano and an F1 that was just a loaner.What i learned at this opening race was that Jonathan Forsyth,with his dad Steve wrenching, would be tough in all of the races and Duran was there and he wanted to make up for last year when he got shut out of a win twice by inches.My Warmack Can Am car ran great and i finished 2nd.It was punched everywhere and just needed more motor.I figured with a good handout motor i would be ok.My F1 car was surprisongly good and i had a good second place going when it launched coming out of the bank in white and was bent.This is the same thing that happened to me last year at this race so i was on alert.It was great to see all of my old and newer friends and i was glad to be able to participate in this race that is to honor Bill Steube Sr. who is Mike's father, and Team Checkpoint. Many of the racers, including Doug Matthes did not run in the warmup and had their cars sorted out.
By tuesday some of the out of town guys were starting to arrive.John Gorski set up and got serious about the king track.He had come to the race with one purpose in mind.He was there to win the Can Am race and get his name on the Checkpoint Cup.He had come close last year and wanted to finish the job he started.John is a great guy who is meticulous in his preperation and his cars are like jewelry.Jay Guard and Greg Wells [cheater to many of us] had a harrowing escape from the east coast to finally arrive.Sano Dave and Roger Schmidt finally got in from Chicago.By Now everyone was going crazy trying to find the right car, tire ,gear ,motor,body and driver to make this thing work.Don't forget that there were six races with 6 different cars.
On Friday the races started with NASCAR on the flat track.I love this track and it is the one that i won the coupe race last year.I knew that winning any race at this gathering was going to be all but impossible requiring a flat out miracle so here we go.Bryan had built some new cars for this class for Himself,Mill and Phil.He gave me the car that he won last year so i practiced with this.I tried many tires and combos and finally found something that really helped. I had brought the falcon 7 motor that i ran in Chicago and put it in for the race and it was good.It felt great to TQ but it was a tough race.The way the rotation went i fell way behind but Rick Salvino who was race director said that Jonathan Forsyth had made a virtual call of the winner and it was me.At the time i was driving i thought it would be nice but he was crazy and there was no way.In the end it was down to me and Phil Nyland who was running a fantastic race and was on my heels.I had to finish perfect to stay ahead of him for the win.Great Racing.
The Coupe race was next.I was running the Warmack car that had been put away since i won with it last year.The only change i made was that i put in the motor i had just won the NASCAR race with and it felt a little better.I had been struggling with the car in practice to get the lap times i needed so i was not that confident.I knew it was going to be hard to make a sit out in the A.Thankfully, i just made the field and it was very tight.Congrats to Bryan here for his TQ and it looked like he picked the right car.I was behind Doug,Duran ,and Jonathan.I had a great start on the good lanes and ran side by side with Johnathan for 3 heats.I then pulled out to a 2 lap lead but knew i needed at least 4 laps to hold off Duran who was coming on good lanes when i finished in white and red.I could not hold him off with my heavy car compared to his retropro lightweight that he somehow got to handle and win.I am thrilled that i finished 2nd in this one.
Retropro was up next, and this was a nighttime race.I had never run a retropro car before and it was very exciting.I had to reprogram my brain to run at higher speed.I was stunned by the increased handling that came with the speed.The car i was running seemed like a rocket but i could not get it any faster than 3.7 and i knew that that would not be good enough.This was a race of machines and avoidance tactics.Jay Henry was practicing with his Foamy built machine and let me try it.Now this is what i was looking for.This car was so smooth and easy to drive it was amazing.Jay told me that he was not going to race it and loaned it to me.When i qualified the car i only went 3.53 which only put me in the B but i knew the car could do more.Although Duran seemed untouchable and Phillipe was flying i was looking forward to the race.The B was fast and furious and i got a great start with a good heat when my motor started to act up.I had a hanging brush that cut my motor in and out and that was my race.The A was one of the craziest races i have seen.Cars were everywhere flying across the building, hitting turn marshalls and drivers.Doug got hit pretty hard in his side while driving and Duran took a hit in the lower belt area without flinching,PDL had a terriffic run going and in the last minute he got crashed and bent the car taking away his great 2nd place finish..Great racing and survival Duran.
Next race was another day.This was Saturday and it was Can Am day.The place was packed with racers and visitors and the carnival atmosphere was in full swing.It was great to see many of the old pros that showed up to say hi and check out the action.It was especially nice to see John Cukras who has been down lately not feeling well.John was in great spirits and was there all day.Fred Larimer, my old Team Russkit fellow member was there also.I was having fits with my car like most of the racers as the track had tightened up and everyone was trying to find the right tire.I bought two handout motors,tried both of them and ran the second one.I just could't find the magic combination and i qualified 8th putting me in the B.I was in the A until the last person up bumped me,that being John Gorski who was TQ with and unbelievable 4:17 to nick Pete Zimmerman who ripped off a 4:18 was happy to see Sano Dave was in the A also.Duran was in the B with me also so i knew it wouldn't be easy moving up with one sit out.As it turned out it didn't matter much as i had nothing but problems and dropped out.A huge Congrats to John who did the impossible and shut out Doug Matthes and Duran and Bryan on their home track.
That night most of the racers and more showed up for the Gala dinner at Knotts Berry Farm.It turned out to be way more fun than expected and everyone had a blast.It got crazy with everyone talking and laughing.having a great time.This was such a good idea and well worth the effort.
The next day was the last for the 2010 round of The Cup.There were still two slots that needed to be filled on the trophy and we were all going to give it our best shot.F1 time was here.Everyone was on the track trying to sort out their F1's and i was watching Bryan running 3 cars around .He did not know which one to run and was trying to figure it out.He had one that kept going over the wall by the doughnut trying to land in the garbage can by the pit area.It tried to land in the basket at least 5 times.The other two looked pretty good.Bryan told me i could try the red one, the one that likes the floor ,and he told me not to launch it or specifically don't break it.Well of course it went over the wall and snapped the guide off right away so i went over and put the car down.When Bryan saw the broken guide he got upset but i know he had cracked it first LOL.When tech was closing and i was the last one i was handed a car to run and teched it in.TQ was a 5:19 at the time and Bryan ran a 5:36 when i went up.I had not turned one lap with this car so the first lap was a 5;35 next a 5;25 then a 5;20 putting me in 2nd.I started pushing it and came off but had time for a few more laps when Bryan jumped on top of the car in the lead on and ended my run saying it was fast enough and he did not want the car broken.I was laughing hysterically as it was one of the funniest things ever.I was really happy that Bryan made the A.In the race,Duran, Johnathan and Doug took off like bullets and i could not run with them.They had too much motor in the race as mine was not as good as when i was alone on the track.I kept thinking it would be nice if something happened to someone so i could podium if i could hold off Gorski.Well,it wasn't long till Johnathan was in the pits and i was in 3rd.Then there was a huge bang as Doug's car launched into the deadman and i thought here comes second, but they put him on, no damage.Unbelievable,anyone else would have been out of the race.I was super happy with 3rd.
One last race,The jail door cars.I had seen Paul Sterret running his Jaildoor around and i knew he had one of the cars to beat.Mill also looked great and i was not feeling too confident as their cars looked a lot smoother than mine.In Qualifying i ran a few laps and they were so slow that i panicked and just started punching this thing for all it was worth and i got it to hop around for a 5th place spot in the A.In the race it was pretty much the same.I drove the wheels off my car and came up with a 4th place which ended my run at Checkpoint Cup 2010.
I want to give a special thanks to Rick Salvino, Mike Who, Paul Sterrett.Mill Conroy, Roger Schmitt, Brian Johnson all who race directed and Lenore and Cheater and Keith Tanaka.These people all put in a tremendous effort to insure that this race was a success and i hope that we can all get together next year and do it again.Thank you Philippe for being my friend and supporting me all of these years.Bryan, i had a blast and you made it happen.
I would like to encourage all retro racers and those thinking about joining the fun that is retro .I want to thank and congratulate all of the racers who are fierce competitors that make it fun.Next year,all of you that are locked into winter should make plans to be in California and attend this event if at all possible You will be glad you did.I can tell you that Me and Sano and Gorski had a great time at Disneyland on that 80 degree January day.
Howie Ursaner

#9 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

Howie,
Thanks for the recap and sorry about the little interruption during your qualifying run. I don't know what came over me....it was kind of like when coach Woody Hayes I think it was came off the sidelines during a football game and went onto the field and assaulted an opposing player with a forearm! :wub: What exactly are the rules concerning someone RIPPPING someone elses car off the track right in the middle of a qualifying run!!!! Everyone seemed so thoroughly amused that next year I think I am going after Gorski :laugh2:

#10 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Howie, your name is on the Checkpoint Cup again this year along with Gorski and Duran.

P1110042_m.jpg

name plaque_l.jpg

KeithPosted Image

Team Rolling Hills circa '66-'68

#11 68Caddy

68Caddy

The Direktor

• 10,546 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

Howie
I love it and I sure hope that you do it again? ;) Good luck to you in Belgium my friend.

Nesta
- Gabriel
Nesta Szabo

Electric Dreams Online Shop