#1 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

Well,
Here is a project that I have been working on for a long time. Ah, since last years Proxy race at least . . . Anyway, I got it out again today because I am between projects and thought I would let you guys see the progress thus far. That and I want to work on the brass wire pans tonight.

The chassis is your basic brass rod Iso. The inner rails are .078 while the outside are the more standard .063.

thingy1-vi.jpg

The structure out back is the Iso pivot, not a rear bumper.

thingy2-vi.jpg

The Iso frame is .063 Steel wire as is the front axle.

thingy3-vi.jpg

thingy4-vi.jpg

I cannot help doing a mockup from time to time checking for clearances and such. Notice how the wheels are taller than the body? This thing doesn't need a roll bar, huh?
Wheels are old Riggen threaded pieces with original rubber on the front and Ortmann rubber on the rear. The front wheels are sleeved with brass tubing so that they will spin easily on the 1/16" axle. The tubing is held in place with epoxy.

thingy5-vi.jpg

thingy6-vi.jpg

Power for this churn is to be a 26D. Needs some work though . . .

thingy7-vi.jpg

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#2 endbelldrive

endbelldrive

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:29 PM

Wowee. Nice looking project. Which Ortmanns are you using on the rears? I'm just getting ready to do my Christmas shopping at Electrical Dreams and could use a couple of sets. :dance:
Bob Suzuki
8/19/54-8/?/21
Requiescat in Pace

#3 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:35 PM

Bob . . . :blush:
I don't know for sure. I did a deal with Edo and he sent me a set that would fit the wheels I wanted to use. That was many months ago.
Sorry that I cannot help you. :|

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#4 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:07 AM

Where is Edo? Off in the corner, drooling? :?:

Paul Wolcott

#5 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:28 AM

He's preparing another revolution against the Swiss government. 8)

Philippe de Lespinay

#6 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:04 PM

Worked on this all last night till midnight. Thought I would take a moment and post these pictures before I brave the mobs at the mall . . .

Iso is ready to mount on the chassis. Still needs pin tubes and the up-stop. I am also thinking about how to brace the front axle. A sharp wheel hit and the axle might twist breaking the solder bond. This baby has to be bulletproof if I’m going to send it halfway around the world and let someone else drive it!

thingy8-vi.jpg

Before permanently mounting the Iso however, a little grease is required on the pivots. Tool grease is the choice here and it will prevent any rusting inside the tube, which would inhibit smooth operation.

thingy9_1-vi.jpg

Apply the grease liberally to the shafts and shove more down the tubes with a toothpick.

thingy10-vi.jpg

Wipe up what grease oozes out.

thingy11-vi.jpg

The rear spreader bar is now solidly attached which ties the two frame halves together and stiffens up the rear of the Iso considerably.

thingy12-vi.jpg

Onward . . .

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#7 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

Well, I'm sure you are sick of hearing this but, BEAUTIFUL JOB! How did you do those fancy bends on the outside rails? :drool: :up:
Gary Stelter

My life fades, the vison dims. All that remains are memories... from The Road Warrior

#8 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:12 PM

I second that and I don't think anyone is sick except my wife who got a cold.

Philippe de Lespinay

#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

To strengthen the front axle joints use fine wire to wrap (tie) them tight then re-solder everything. The fine steel wire in the beading section of craft stores works okay, as does the stainless steel stuff used for surgical staples. Got any friends that are veterinarians? :)

#10 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:03 AM

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Paul Wolcott

#11 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:21 AM

Well, I'm sure you are sick of hearing this but, BEAUTIFUL JOB! How did you do those fancy bends on the outside rails? :drool: :up:

Gary,
Thank you. All bends are made with a set of humble needle-nose pliers and my fingers.
Small tool marks are sanded out.

Some of the pieces require a lot of bends . . . so I place the finished piece on a flat surface to make sure it lays flat. If not, I mark the high points, then tap them out with a hammer while the piece sits on a sheet of matt-board. The matt provides support but gives a little to allow the brass rod to change shape slightly. Recheck after a few taps with the hammer. I use a very small jewelers hammer for this. It takes time but works great!

As an aside . . . when bending music wire past 90-degree bends, it usually becomes very weak at the bend. I have noticed that if you have to bend it back, for any odd reason, the wire usually breaks. In order to make certain that the wire bend will be strong enough I have taken to heating the wire bend to a cherry red color and then quick quench in a pan of 30 weight oil. The heat relaxes the tension in the wire and the quick quench hardens it again.

Bill, :wave:
The joint doesn't really need wire wrapping. That won't keep the axle from twisting should the wheel tap the wall or another car. Note that the axle is shaped like a crank! A wheel hit will twist the joint breaking the solder but the axle will remain trapped between the wire hook and the brass spacer. I think I need an additional rod up where the force would be greatest, sort of like a radius rod on a 1:1 racecar. Now that, I will wire wrap! :-D

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

Jairus,
How many hours does it take you to get to this point?

Philippe de Lespinay

#13 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:46 AM

P,
I am not sure of the hours. I have been working on this one off and on for quite a while, usually between projects and in the evening.

The "Dream Lover" chassis took about 10 hours total. I would figure that I probably have that much time in this one, too. Maybe a little more . . .
Now, I have a request for two more similar chassis! I'll do them both at the same time and save some steps . . . at least, that's what I have seen Steve and Rick do.

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#14 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:23 PM

I thought sure there was some trick tool or something. That's amazing! Thanks! :-D :love:
Gary Stelter

My life fades, the vison dims. All that remains are memories... from The Road Warrior

#15 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:06 AM

Update: Von Thingy chassis is finished!
The front bumper bars are now strengthened with .063 music wire.
Body mount pin tubes are soldered to the pans, with the front one tying the pans together.
A down-stop is in place for the drop arm and the front axle is braced, with a wire-wrapped joint to make it bullet proof. I have tried to work out all the possible weak points and eliminate them one by one. If anyone sees something that I do no . . . please tell me!
Oh, and that stupid hole in the center of the forward drop pan bothers me. I am thinking of grinding out an arch between the inner rails just to eliminate a hole that dosn't have a purpose. Hmmmmm . . .

thingy14-vi.jpg

Closeup of the front axle “tie-rods" shows that they do double duty, in that they not only support the axle but also aid in tying together about four rods.

Next installment: Making that 26D sing like Grace Slick, without self-destructing a very vintage Dynamic arm!!!

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#16 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:24 AM

I really appreciate the clear close-ups. They make it easy to see what you are describing as "bulletproofing".

One question - in your search for possible points of stress, are the pin tubes perhaps a bit low? If I read correctly, the pin holes will be approximately 3/32" above the bottom edge of the body. Is that enough, or would it be a good idea to use brass rod for a base, and then solder the tubes above the pans, rather like this:
O
@@
===========

That should give a full 5/32" of Lexan below the pin hole.

It just seems a shame to have these beautiful bods ripped up any sooner than they must.

Marcus

Marcus P. Hagen -- see below, my five favorite quotes: applicable to slot cars & life in general.
[ "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.". . Daniel Patrick Moynihan ]
[ "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students.". . . . . . . . Hector Berlioz ]
[ "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness." . . . . . . . . . . . Dave Barry ]
[ "Build what you like to build, they are all doomed." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Prof. Fate ]
[ "The less rules the more fun. Run what you brung." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Larry LS ]

#17 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:36 AM

Marcus, I don't believe there will be any ripout issues with bodies of this thickness and the height of the pin tubes. There are various reinforcement methods that can be used on the body's inside, ranging from body armor to cloth and strapping tapes to metal Ninja Stars and brass body washers. :)

#18 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:24 AM

You both are right. However, the Hammerhead body has such a radical taper that the bottom edge of the body is the only place for the pintube. Any highter and the pin has to be inserted through the body on an angled surface.

The body is very thick and I do plan to do some "proofing" to the underside once the paint is applied.

Good eyes Marcus, that is still one of my unresolved issues.
:)

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#19 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm especially interested in the problem of bulletproofing thingies, since I hope to send a few to Edo's proxy next spring. I'm happy to hear that the body thickness will help, but am wondering about the other methods Bill mentioned.

Would it be possible to see some examples? The last time I bulletproofed a Lexan body, it was a .007 in 1970 or so. A lot has obviously changed since then.

Metal Ninja stars? Who'da thunk it? Sounds like it would fit in with the thingie mood.

Marcus P. Hagen -- see below, my five favorite quotes: applicable to slot cars & life in general.
[ "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.". . Daniel Patrick Moynihan ]
[ "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students.". . . . . . . . Hector Berlioz ]
[ "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness." . . . . . . . . . . . Dave Barry ]
[ "Build what you like to build, they are all doomed." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Prof. Fate ]
[ "The less rules the more fun. Run what you brung." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Larry LS ]

#20 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,799 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:18 AM

I suggest not hitting anything. That always works for me. :roflmao:

Well, it does sometimes. 8)
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#21 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,824 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

Great looking chassis, Jairus. It's going to be a really cool car as it has "The Look" 8)

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#22 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:53 PM

Aaaaaah . . . "The Look". . .

Posted Image

Posted Image

:clap: :love: :kiss: :crazy: :dance:

Philippe de Lespinay

#23 BWA

BWA

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:14 AM

More look, Eh! 8)

Posted Image

Posted Image
Al Penrose BWA (Batchelor Without Arts, Eh!)

#24 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:17 AM

Al, is that nut on the can a body mount?

Marcus

#25 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:23 AM

Yes, it is. :)

Paul Wolcott

Electric Dreams Online Shop