• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

Build one & if you don't like how it handles, move the hinge forward to the face of the motor bracket. There have been a bunch of scratchbuilt inline chassis built in the past 10 years with ISO hinges on the rear of a bracket's gear guard, like this one that Jairus built. It's not a new idea, but ISO chassis designs have never caught on in retro racing. :)  Not all the 1/32 builders I briefly mentioned in post #47 run on home tracks.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#52 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:47 PM

Sorry Paul.  I guess since the car was entered in the 2007 Thingy proxy, I assumed you knew how it turned out. We don't talk about that race much because there was a bit of a dust-up regarding the Concours voting. (http://www.slotforum...4&hl=2007 proxy) You'll have to read the results as at the time I had no track to test it on.  What I remember was it handled sub-par (was too light) and I ran the gear ratio too high. That resulted in the end bell suffered a melt down during one race.
Here is a link to the proxy race results discussion thread.
http://www.slotforum...1&hl=2007 proxy

The only thing I learned from building and driving ISO cars is the balance between the weight of the two major parts; the tongue and the pans/front axle.
The second thing is the contact between the major parts should be limited.  That being the side to side movement of the guide as it moves around the track.  Placing the pivot as far back as possible reduces the movement but better is to have some "slides" located up front where the tongue can push contact the pans to encourage them around the track.  Usually those slides also contribute to up and down limits of movement.
A little grease on the slides ensures no binding.
The next proxy I went with a very different design and did very well in my partnership with Ralph Klose.

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#53 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

I understand your weight balance and "center section influence on the pan assembly" theories.

But I disagree with your theory that placing the fulcrum further back "reduces" movement.  I think the further back the fulcrum is placed, the side to side movement of the pans up front is increased, not reduced.  A lever that changes angle left/right and or up/down moves more at it's end the longer the lever becomes.

I looked at the your Slotforum link and cannot find Von Thingy in the results, I must be looking in the wrong place.

Paul Wolcott

#54 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hammerhead.  It was a Hammerhead body and Edo, Ferge and Swissracer used the body type to identify the cars.

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#55 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

Thanks, found it.  Looks like it had some good lap scores, in spite of the one DNF, so I reckon it handled pretty well.  :)

Paul Wolcott

Electric Dreams Online Shop