1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

I have been meaning to post this picture for a long time, but I couldn't find the magazine it was in. Well. I was cleaning up the piles of magazines this weekend (thinning the herd, so to speak), and I found it. It's a 1938 Bugatti Type 57C Special coupe.

Hotrod-Bugatti.jpg
I especially like the un-Bugatti-like pea green and black paint. And notice how the black on the body mimics the curve of the front fender. And the black wheels further add to the hot rod look. Just a really sharp automobile.

And BTW, it sold at auction for $1,375,000.

Enjoy :D !

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,288 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

This wonderful car, the design of which was done by Jean Bugatti, son of Ettore, was Ettore's personal ride and is all original, it was never restored, even never repainted. It used to belong to my friend Gary Kohs in the 1980s, the former racing director for Ford Motor Co (Trans Am), then PR manager for VW when they ran the Super Vee class. Gary brought this beauty :wub: to the Pebble Beach Concours about 20 years ago, and these chrome freaks did not make this great car Best of Show. In fact the price realized at auction is rather low for the true value of this fantastic machine. I simply LOVE this car, and the photos simply cannot reflect its true beauty and the wonderful shade of green and black from its original paint.
Simply a work of rolling art, and so understated. I would give my soul to the devil for it, but I already did that according to some and the devil does not work on credit. :laugh2:

By the way, don't believe that those inline 8 cylinders with supercharger were slow, that thing would easily race your modern rides, even if the cable brakes would give it a serious handicap.

Philippe de Lespinay

Electric Dreams Online Shop