3 replies to this topic

#1 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:04 AM

Hello,

I have a K&B sportsman with rubber rear tires that are starting to break apart in chunks.

Can you let me know which tires I can use from your catalogue that would 'do the trick?'

Thanks,

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,320 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:45 AM

Mike,
The K&B Sportsman tires were unique to this car and are set on a very large diameter wheel. I am not sure of what could fit, but I think that your best option would be to send the wheels to AB Slot Sport in the UK to have them recast a set of silicone tires over these wheels.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#3 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:22 PM

Thanks, Dokk!

I have RTV silicone, I had a crazy idea of making my own tires for all the wheels with cement tires that I've gotten from eBay but I just haven't had the time to create molds (moulds? ah, the English language!).

My shop teacher and close friend recommended that I buy copper pipe from the plumbing dept of a Home Depot/Lowes type of place and fit an end-cap for the base. Sounds like a great idea for when I can use my 97 hours of vacation time, but dag-nabbit it's always busy! Hehe.

Anyway, thank you for the name of the place in the UK. I think I may try my hand at making them myself. I've got to do something with all this silicone I bought, and I'm not a plastic surgeon!

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,320 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:35 PM

The tires need to be centered on the rim. A modified copper pipe will never cut it. You need to cut a chunk of aluminum in a lathe and fit an axle in its center where the wheel will fit, face down. Then you can mold the stuff in between.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

Electric Dreams Online Shop