3 replies to this topic

#1 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:04 AM

Hello,

I have a K&B sportsman with rubber rear tires that are starting to break apart in chunks.

Can you let me know which tires I can use from your catalogue that would 'do the trick?'

Thanks,

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,498 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:45 AM

Mike,
The K&B Sportsman tires were unique to this car and are set on a very large diameter wheel. I am not sure of what could fit, but I think that your best option would be to send the wheels to AB Slot Sport in the UK to have them recast a set of silicone tires over these wheels.

#3 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:22 PM

Thanks, Dokk!

I have RTV silicone, I had a crazy idea of making my own tires for all the wheels with cement tires that I've gotten from eBay but I just haven't had the time to create molds (moulds? ah, the English language!).

My shop teacher and close friend recommended that I buy copper pipe from the plumbing dept of a Home Depot/Lowes type of place and fit an end-cap for the base. Sounds like a great idea for when I can use my 97 hours of vacation time, but dag-nabbit it's always busy! Hehe.

Anyway, thank you for the name of the place in the UK. I think I may try my hand at making them myself. I've got to do something with all this silicone I bought, and I'm not a plastic surgeon!

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,498 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:35 PM

The tires need to be centered on the rim. A modified copper pipe will never cut it. You need to cut a chunk of aluminum in a lathe and fit an axle in its center where the wheel will fit, face down. Then you can mold the stuff in between.

Electric Dreams Online Shop