• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Mike

Mike

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:39 PM

I have subbed in a pair of tires temporarily on my Porsche Superscale car. That way I could try it out and see how they run. These cars have diodes for the Supertronic function allowing either car to run on either lane simultaneously, provided you have the proper controllers and likely the Cox power supply. This particular car had the diode forward biased so that it could be run in standard direction on my Monogram track (which is wired positive right in the direction of travel).

After more than a few very enjoyable hot laps, It dawned on me that the car had no dynamic brake action. It was blocked by the diode. Removing the brake wire from the control hook-up proved the point. No difference. What amazed me is that it really didn't need any brakes. This thing handles like a dream and is a pleasure to drive. There is no magnet on this one. It loved the big 21-inch radius curves and snaked through the twisty bits flawlessly. Nice straight acceleration to boot. Great car!!
Mike Lopez

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,400 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

Well, Mike, it was designed and first built in 1973, and the TSRF car of today is its direct descendent. :)

#3 Kevin Dickinson

Kevin Dickinson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:25 AM

I have recently purchased 2 Cox SuperTronic and 1 SuperScale race sets. I have the two F1 cars as well as two Datsun and Matado cars.
The track is much improved over Eldon and I like the 12" straights as well as the automatic lane changers. I am curious why they chose 1/40 scale over 1/32 for the cars. I have only run one car so far and it runs fine. I need a motor for one of the other cars so I contacted Electric Dreams and they told me that they do have chassis parts and motors for these cars and will be listing them shortly.

My question to Dokk P is can you enlighten me on the choice of scale for these cars? I have seen a flyer that lists a Chevelle but have not seen one on eBay yet.

I have also made replacement tires for these cars is anyone is interested. I have fronts and rears in stock. They are urethane rubber and can be sanded. So if you are looking for some new rubber let me know. I am also looking for some Cox banked turns for my layout.

Thanks,

Kevin

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

Kevin,
The scale was chosen because of the track size. We felt that 1/32 scale cars were too big for the track and it was cheaper to build new cars than making a larger track.

Posted Image

The car above is the last issue of the Cox S/S: plastic wheels, magnet box molded into the chassis, snap-on body mount.
The Manta Can-Am body was patterned after my pro-racing cars from 1972.
The TSR chassis design was strongly inspired by this 1973 design, because it never went out of style.

#5 Kevin Dickinson

Kevin Dickinson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:56 PM

Philippe,

That Can-Am looks great! I hope that some of these come up on eBay. I was pleasantly surprised how well my one car ran, which still had its original tires, and using the stock transformer. The automatic lane changer works well too. I never saw any Cox slot car stuff in the hobby shops that I went to back in the day. I am looking forward to fixing the other two cars that I have and adding some more if I can find them. I also have one of your 1/32 chassis and I can see the family resemblance! I haven't even had a chance to test the tires that I made. I thank you for the information and the pictures.

Kevin

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

The stock tires work well, even after so many years, if lightly oiled, then wiped clean with a lint-free cotton rag. As long as they are still "stable", meaning that they have not shrunk.

#7 Zippo

Zippo

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

A special Cox Super Scale is the hero of today´s advent calendar door on my homepage: if you want, take a look here

Regards
Richard
Richard Muschalik

Visit me at my 1/43 home

#8 Kevin Dickinson

Kevin Dickinson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:01 PM

Richard,

Thanks for the link. It was a nice history lesson for me. Too bad they didn't make the Rally Datsun. I have seen reference to 300,000 sets being sold so there should be some sets/cars available. In the past month I have seend 4 Cox sets on eBay and I bought 3 of them. I didn't bid on the other one as I knew the guy that did bid on it. There is one up right now and the starting bid is $39.99 and it has no cars! It would be nice to see other Cox enthusiasts post picture of their cars.

Kevin

#9 Kevin Dickinson

Kevin Dickinson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:22 AM

Well I finally got around to testing my tires last night. They hook up very well and the cars now have traction. I still think that the cars need a little weight in the front. They tend to bounce up and down. I much prefer to have the fronts touch. Maybe I should make a larger tire for the front. I have two F1's that I need to change out the tires on as well.

Kevin

#10 Allan Feldman

Allan Feldman

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

Hi Kevin
I have the Daytona 500 set that has the Chevelle and Matado in it. I paid a lot more than $39.99 for it years ago. I also have the Datsun that seems the most common car. I hope you get what you want.
Regards Allan

#11 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

I think that the Chevelle and Matador are indeed the hardest bodies to find, but the Eagle and McLaren Indy cars ae also quite tough if complete with decals.
As far as setup, don't go to bigger tires! If the chassis are not straight, it's from ageing and sitting twisted for a long time, and we have new perfect ones available.

#12 Kevin Dickinson

Kevin Dickinson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:50 AM

I think that the Chevelle and Matador are indeed the hardest bodies to find, but the Eagle and McLaren Indy cars ae also quite tough if complete with decals.
As far as setup, don't go to bigger tires! If the chassis are not straight, it's from ageing and sitting twisted for a long time, and we have new perfect ones available.

When will you be listing the Cox parts on your website???? I hope it is soon. I need one new motor at minimum. I will try some weight in the front to see how that goes. I don't think that the chassis's are twisted but haven't really looked. The two F1 cars that I got in the set did not have the decals on them, but I believe that they were in the box. The Chevelle may prove elusive but I will keep looking for it. I know one slotter up in Canada that needs a motor or two as well. He purchased some of my tires for his stable of cars. He hooked me up with two automatic lane changers and connection tracks.

So lets get those parts listed, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas,

Kevin

#13 Kevin Dickinson

Kevin Dickinson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:56 AM

Hi Kevin
I have the Daytona 500 set that has the Chevelle and Matado in it. I paid a lot more than $39.99 for it years ago. I also have the Datsun that seems the most common car. I hope you get what you want.
Regards Allan

Hi Allan,

Did you purchase the set new? Do you have any pictures of the Chevelle? Do you have it setup? I have mine setup but at the moment I took out the lane changer so that I could run my non SuperTronic cars on it. I am going to put it back in so that I can test the F1 cars, but after I change the layout.

Merry Christmas,

Kevin

#14 Zippo

Zippo

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:23 PM

Hello!

I´m still intrested in pics of Superscale Cox Cars... pls. send them (min. 600 x 400 px) to photo(at)schlitzrenner.de. Pls. look that they are sharp ;)

I will make a © with your name if wished.

Regards
Richard
Richard Muschalik

Visit me at my 1/43 home

#15 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

Patience all, soon you will really like what you will see... :)

#16 Kevin Dickinson

Kevin Dickinson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

Patience all, soon you will really like what you will see... :)

Thanks, Dokk. This is going to be another Christmas.. :D

Kevin

#17 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:21 PM

I have to take a whole lot of pictures first, but you will like it.
Stuff you have NEVER seen...

#18 Kevin Dickinson

Kevin Dickinson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

I redid my layout last night using the track from the latest Cox set that I got. The track was like new with only some oxidation on the rails. It looked to be complete. It came with track clips which I found are a big plus when doing an elevated layout, and 12" straights, which are so much better than all of the standard straights.

This set also came with the F1 cars, both of which run very well. Whoever had the set took good care of it. One car does need some longer braids but that is it. I now have 4 cars that run and one that needs a new motor.

I would love to add some more cars and was wondering if there are any bodies that will fit the Cox chassis without having to cut the chassis. I looked at an 1/43 SCX NASCAR that I have to see if the chassis would fit. Those cars are narrower than the Cox. I have to admit that I am getting hooked on these smaller cars so if anyone has any ideas on this please let me know.

Kevin

Attached Images

• 010.JPG

#19 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:07 PM

The two Indy cars are missing their little chrome plated Offy engines and turbo plumbing that fits above the ST020 electric motors as well as the decals. Also the drivers should have red belts.
1/43d scale model kit bodies can be used on these cars, made by Heller and Airfix and other companies.

#20 Kevin Dickinson

Kevin Dickinson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

I have the decals and the other parts may be in the box as well. I will have to look more closely. Thanks for the tips on the model kits. I will start looking. Were the set cars different from the ones you could buy separately? Do you have a good picture of what the F1's should look like?

Kevin

#21 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:52 PM

Yes, but you will have to wait a bit because i am overwhelmed with work right now.

#22 Robert Horn

Robert Horn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

I have to take a whole lot of pictures first, but you will like it.
Stuff you have NEVER seen...

Dok,
I found your store site but did not find any Cox 1/43 parts. I'd be interested in motors and more. Did you ever get this going?
Thanks!

#23 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

I did not have much time yet, but here is a picture of the available NOS parts:

cox-red-eagle.jpg

#24 welslotcar

welslotcar

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:31 PM

What is the procedure for removing the rear wheels and spur gear from the axle? Thanks.
Bill Leone

#25 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Well, there is none! The rear wheels were pressed on the axle in Hong Kong and were not supposed to be removable! It was a cheap toy, the actual cost of the entire car was below 2 dollars in 1973... the way I personally do it when in need is simply to cut the axle in its center, pull the ends off the chassis and... that's it! To fit new wheels to a new axle, I would recommend the use of a chamfered drill blank ( I THINK that it is a 2mm axle) and run a reamer in the wheels to reduce the actual pressure when pressing the new wheels back on. I thought about making myself a wheel puller at one time, but never got around to it...

#26 welslotcar

welslotcar

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

Thanks Philippe, great information as always.

Does ED or TSRF still have the parts (shown above) or others available for the Cox S/S cars?
Bill Leone

#27 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

Bill, what you see on the picture is what is available. You will have to PM me directly if you need any of this because is is not available from anyone but me.

Electric Dreams Online Shop