• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#1 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

I love it when a plan comes together! OK, I'm getting ahead of myself . . . I've built many recreation cars for myself and my friend Adam. All our builds have been West Coast cars from such greats as Mike Steube, Mike Morrissey, and Philippe de Lespinay. Adam wanted to expand his collection to include some East Coast cars. Trouble is there seemed to be much less coverage of the Eastern greats in the newsletters and magazines of the period. There was some good coverage in the 11/'73 Miniature Auto Racing newsletter of one such great, Joel Montague and his 1973 National Champion winning car.That's where we decided to start.

I'd like to mention that the body Joel used is not for the faint of heart if you're a "scale freak". I enjoy both scale and all-out racers from the "dawn of time" thru about 1973. Therefore, I appreciate it for what it was designed to do . . . GO FAST! I believe it is two Lancer Porsche bodies grafted together. I hope to find out more about the body and pass that along soon. Here are the scans of that article:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I blew up a top and bottom picture of the car to use as a guide to recreate Joel's car, thinking that would be enough to get the car built:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once I started to look closer at the pictures I realized there were many construction details I was unsure of, especially around the rear of the chassis. I asked my friend and chassis builder extraordinaire Steve Okeefe if he would look at the pictures and help me. Well, he did a lot more than that and this is where "the plan came together". Not only are Steve and Joel old friends who live relatively near one another but Joel still has his Nats-winning car as it came off the track in 1973! AND, Joel agreed to let Steve take pictures of it to help with the project. I now have dozens of great pictures to work from. Joel asked that I not share these here as he wants to take new pictures after he restores the car.

So the soldering iron is heating up and the jig wheels are going in the chassis jig. More to come . . . Onward! :)
  • Jocke P likes this

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#2 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:42 PM

I've started construction and I'll do my best to be true to Joel's original. Even with all the great pictures I'm still unsure of some of the details and might do some things a little differently than the original. But here goes! This is the start of the center section in my chassis jig:

Posted Image

Notice how all four frame rails are straight? Is this a full sidewinder?

Posted Image

Nope. Here's the solution. A half rail angled to accept the motor and attached to a horizontal rear brace and up to the front of the rear axle tube. It's not soldered in place yet:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've got to get the drop arm in place first as the half rail butts up against it. This is the drop arm I'll be using:

Posted Image

I've been saving that drop arm for something special for years. I think this car is it. You owe me big time, Adam! HA!

ONWARD!
  • Jocke P likes this

Rick Thigpen

#3 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,418 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

Whoever wrote the race report was obviously not watching the race. The story of what actually happened is very different and a honest reporter would have written a very different story.
Water under the bridge now. :)

#4 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,836 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

If it was really water under the bridge, it wouldn't come out sounding like sour grapes.

I don't give a rats @$$ about that race as I had only retired from slot racing eight months earlier (that mag came out on my birthday!), BUT . . . what DOES interest me is that a buddy of mine, Sammy Shields, apparently attended that race (amateur results). He had met Joel a year or so earlier and struck up some kind of friendship I guess. WTG, Sammy! 8)
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#5 John Secchi

John Secchi

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:51 AM

Interesting chassis. What's caught my eye is the can used for the motor as I am sure I have one similar (same centre hole not quite punched in the middle!). Who supplied these cans and when did they first appear?
[oneofwos]

#6 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:17 AM

Hi John,

The Joel Montague "Pooch" motor is using an early thick-wall Champion CEE can that Joel has modified. I'll be getting into the motor mods soon :) .

Rick

Rick Thigpen

#7 John Secchi

John Secchi

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:32 AM

Rick,
Just checked mine and it's not the same; the two end windows look the similar but mine has a centre hole that's elongated but not quite central and that's on both sides of the can.
[oneofwos]

#8 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

If it was really water under the bridge, it wouldn't come out sounding like sour grapes.

Apparently you were there to witness what happened, explaining your comment . . . 8)

I don't give a rats @$$ about that race

So why are you reading this thread? :)

#9 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,836 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

Parry, thrust, touche'!

I was bored. But I got to see Sammy's name in the paper! WOO-HOO! Sammy is/was hard to miss . . . he was about 6'3" tall . . . and THEN he would put on platform shoes!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#10 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

Hey PdL,

Is that the old version of Tony P in that pic?

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#11 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:30 PM

It sure is, Noose! And just over Joel's left shoulder are my friends Jim MacCartney and Dan O'Neil. :)

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

From left to right is Fred Strauss, Yours Truly, Tony. In the pic's center, Jan Limpach and Joel compare their hair length. 8)

#13 Foamy

Foamy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

Just checked mine and it's not the same; the two end windows look the similar but mine has a centre hole that's elongated but not quite central and that's on both sides of the can.

The .040 Champion can we used on high power came with two oval holes. Some folks made a similar oval hole in between them, some drilled a round hole of different sizes. The end of the can was machined square, the sides were turned on a lathe to around .020, endbell mounting holes drilled, can trimmed around bearing, akle tube notch milled in one side.

Mura endbell needs to be turned on lathe to fit, as it is slightly smaller than Mura can.

Dennis Hill

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie,
preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason."

#14 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

Even with all Steve O's great pictures we still could not find an axle brace for the end bell side of the chassis. Joel came to the rescue with a perfect picture of what it looks like and it's really cool. Trouble is, when something looks really cool it's usually not easy to make. Here are my first five attempts and the tools used:

Posted Image

YIKES! Persistence, lots of pliers, and luck resulted in success:

Posted Image

Here it is installed:

Posted Image

The back end finished except for copper wire wrapping the rear axle tube to the frame rails:

Posted Image

Here's a top and bottom shot of the installed half rail that sets the motor angle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next will be the front axles . . . I think! Oh, for those who want to build one of these for themselves, Joel told me my axle tube is cut out too much. His was form-fitted to the motor . . . OOPS!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rick Thigpen

#15 slotcarcol

slotcarcol

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hello Rick,

This looks like a great build, thanks for the photos. In true scratchbuilders style, you can never have too many pairs of pliers! :)

The bevelled finish on each of the ends of those wire pieces is supreme attention to detail! Great job on the S-brace!

Joel told me my axle tube is cut out too much. His was form-fitted to the motor . . . OOPS!

Oh dear, now he tells you! :shock:

Good building,
Col.
Colin Neaton

#16 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

Beautiful, Rick, just beautiful! Makes me want to build one for meself . . .

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#17 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

Thanks, Jairus. I hope the pictures will encourage people to do just that!

Hi Colin,

I'm sure there will be other things that I don't do quite like the original but I hope it will be pretty darn close. The motor should hide most of that boo-boo. ;) :)

Rick Thigpen

#18 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

More progress on the "Montague Missile". I needed to get the front axles installed which are big honkin' 3/32" jobs. I had a batch of JK extra long axles that were . . . well . . . not quite straight. I found I could bend them so that's what I used. I also got lazy and used NSR 3/32" by 2.5 mm long axle spacers instead of cutting them myself (thanks for cluing me into NSR, Edo :) ):

Posted Image

Notice the "toe out" of the front axles:

Posted Image

Also, we have mucho negative camber . . . cool:

Posted Image

Next up we need to fill up that hole in the drop arm with something special . . . Onward! :)
  • Jocke P likes this

Rick Thigpen

#19 endbelldrive

endbelldrive

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:49 AM

I also got lazy and used NSR 3/32" by 2.5 mm long axle spacers instead of cutting them myself.

Phew . . . thanks for revealing that piece of information. I was ready to throw away the Dremel and the soldering iron. :doh:

Oh yeah . . . nice lookin' frame! 8)
Bob Suzuki

#20 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,073 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:51 AM

Rick, what do you use to buff everything up like that? That's beautiful work. :clap:
Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

Washington D.C. the largest rats nest in the world

#21 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

Thanks, Bob :) . Here's a link to the brass spacers I used:

NSR spacers

You can always cut your own . . . or not :mrgreen:

Hi Butch,

I use fine sandpaper down to 2400 grit, metal polish, and a wire wheel in my Dremel tool. I don't use the wire wheel on brass sheet as it leaves a funny pattern on large flat surfaces. All the polishing I do is completely unnecessary functionally. I do it because I like the way it looks. Your results may vary. Ask your Dr. if polishing is right for you. Don't drink alcohol excessively during polishing . . . well, maybe we should! :lol:

Rick Thigpen

#22 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

Rick,
The front wheels that Joel used look a lot like "Parma" cone wheels that Philippe seems to hate so much. True, or are these some other hard-to-find, super-expensive piece?
:|

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#23 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:34 AM

Hi Jairus,

I'm ASSuming they are common Pama wheels like the ones in the Parma ad in the race report:

Posted Image

I took a pair off a vintage Parma "parts car" that Adam sent me. I also took off a big brass guide nut that looks a lot like the one Joel used.

I LOVE Neat Things front wheels :love: , but I'm glad that different builders used different parts and design and construction styles.

Rick Thigpen

#24 YetiSRP

YetiSRP

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

Whoever wrote the race report was obviously not watching the race. The story of what actually happened is very different and a honest reporter would have written a very different story.

Excuse me . . .

I wrote the report. I was there the entire weekend, was top qualifier on Saturday, and raced until something like 6:00 AM on Sunday, went home, cleaned up, and raced on Sunday as well.

And Joel provided the photos as no one took any while there (or at least none that anyone would provide).

#25 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,836 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:26 AM

Well, it seems like there's potential for a disagreement here. :mrgreen:

But I won't dwell on that. What I'd REALLY like to know is: Was Joel a Bay City Rollers fan?!?!?! Look at those PANTS, dood! I wouldn't have thought he was "into" the 'Rollers, but hey, I never met the guy.
Richard L. Hofer

#26 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:38 AM

Jim,
The pictures were great. The story is incorrect. Please ask Tony P about it, if you want the straight scoop, we were just discussing this a couple days ago.
If you did watch the race, you should have had no doubt about what happened.
By the way, the frame Joel used was a copy of sorts of what I used a couple months before to win the California race convincingly over . . . Joel and all others. Before, he used Limpach-style isos. His car was good at the Nats, mine (while the motors were running OK) was able to put no less than 12 laps over him in each heat, until each motor expired at about 4 minutes in the heats, then crawling for one minute. Even then, he won by only 7 laps after I ran out of motors and had to use one that already had died, re-fitted hurriedly with proper Mabuchi brushes.
Joel lucked out that day, he never dominated the race as described in the story, and I led EVERY HEAT until the last one when he eventually was able to out-power my crawling car.
Regards,

#27 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,836 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

Twelve laps each heat?!?! DOOD! :shock: The motors must have been BRUTES and the chassis must have just melted into the track as to stayed so stuck!
Richard L. Hofer

#28 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:41 PM

Richard,
The difference was in car handling. Even with the motor problems, the car was like on rails and could be basically flat out everywhere but the dead-man turn.
I still have the lap charts from the race. In the first heat alone, I was 12 laps ahead AFTER the motor died. But Joel was on a slower lane. After that, I kept an advantage of 4 to 6 laps until the 7th heat, down to 2 laps. After I ran out of the motors with the bad brushes (we changed motors every heat, very unusual for the days when a motor was good for qualifying AND racing . . . ) I was helped by some good souls who pulled the bad brushes from one motor and put some original Mabuchi 36D brushes in it. The motor was none too swift but lasted the last heat, and Joel had an easy time to reel me in and pull out another 7 laps, and that was it.
This is the only time I ever had a problem with Steube motors, and this was mostly because he believed Bob Green claims about his new-improved-miracle brushes. Not.
Problem is, I had given my good personal practice motors to Fred Strauss, and those were really fast and lasted, but Fred's car did not handle the horsepower too well and he was very upset, accusing me of sabotaging his chances . . . I wish I had THAT motor in my car, I would have cruised to the win.
Water under the bridge, but I am still not too happy about the way it was written.
Now please understand that Joel did absolutely nothing wrong, and as I profited from his misfortune two months earlier, he profited from mine that day.
I have absolutely no problem with Joel, one of the true all-time great slot car racers.

#29 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,836 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:03 PM

Now please understand that Joel did absolutely nothing wrong, and as I profited from his misfortune 2 months earlier, he profited from mine that day.
I have absolutely no problem with Joel, one of the true great all-time slot car racers.

OK, but those PANTS . . . :roll:

Then again, a self-assured man-about-town has nothing to fear. :)
  • Jocke P likes this
Richard L. Hofer

#30 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:07 PM

Hey, I was wearing those, too! :mrgreen:

#31 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

But were yours purple? :lol: :lol:

#32 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

No, but they were just as ugly! :lol:
My wife burned them with all my other clothes when we got married in 1977. I mean, some of this stuff was going to be collectible . . . :mrgreen:

#33 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:24 PM

The front wheels that Joel used look a lot like "Parma" cone wheels that Philippe seems to hate so much. True, or are these some other hard-to-find, super-expensive piece?

Jairus,

Here are Joel's comments on his front wheel choice:

"They were, indeed, over-the-counter Parmas (sans set screws) - Womp Womp wheels!!! Definitely NOT what I would have chosen had I not felt a sincere obligation to promote what I considered to be a company that literally formed the backbone of the industry during that MOST FRAGILE era (and most every other era for that matter) but I thought it a very minor inconvenience given the track/glue conditions prevalent at the time. With ample "toe out" they were just fine, thank you. :) LOL!!!"

Rick Thigpen

#34 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

It is true to say that without Parma and the controversial (but business-correct) Ken MacDowell, the hobby would have totally collapsed.

#35 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:30 PM

It is true to say that without Parma and the controversial (but business-correct) Ken MacDowell, the hobby would have totally collapsed.

Yes and don't forget Bob Haines' efforts in the "dark ages". ;) :)

#36 prplgeez

prplgeez

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

OK, Philippe . . . now you've gone and irritated me. That car wasn't a copy of ANYTHING you did and you were never in serious contention at any point in that race. You say you were talking to Tony P about the race . . . can you explain to me why his story of the race for "SomeBody's Gotta Eat It" went something like:
WALT LaBREE 3rd AT NATS!!! As in: ho hum, Joel won . . . no surprise there, but WOW . . . WALT LaBREE 3rd . . . man bites dog!!!

I agree; your motors weren't very good, but pal . . . MINE WAS and so was my car. (*Note the singular . . . I used but one motor. Yours were good for . . . what did you say . . . 4 minutes of the 10 minute heats???). You had no chance that day and that's just the way it was . . . deal with it. Jim's story was and is 'spot on'. One of the few writeups of the Phillipe era about which that can be said.

I realize that that was the closest you ever came to winning a Nats and that you're really irritated about history not having been re-written to award you one, but it hasn't been and it won't be. How did that work for you the year before when you came to Parma with the stated intention of "sweeping"? Lemme see . . . I think that went something like Camen 1-2-3-5-7. . . where was it you finished that year?

Oh, and Phillipe - one more thing . . . when you finish with the World Record-setting Tom Hansen chassis that you borrowed from me somewhere in the '70s for a photo-op, would you mind returning it? I'd really like to have it for MY collection. Wouldn't that be reasonable since it was MY chassis and my record?
  • Robert BG and Jesse Gonzales like this
Joel Montague

#37 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

(ouch!) :shock:

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#38 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,836 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:04 PM

This is gettin' good; I'm gonna pop some popcorn! 8)
  • Jocke P likes this
Richard L. Hofer

#39 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

Joel,
Sorry to hear that you are irritated, but I described it exactly as it happened. As a matter of fact, Tony can tell you a bit more about it as he remembers a good part of what happened and was asking me for more info during our visit. As I said, you were best that day and won, and that is all that counts. My problems were not your problems and I said clearly that it certainly was none of your fault.
I only ran pro races for two years and ran the Nats those two years. I got creamed at Parma because my cars were bogged and I did not know what to do about it. At Elyria, it was a different story except, as I said, a bad day with bad motor brushes. I led the race for most of it and would be pleased to send you the lap charts for each heat if you wish to see them.

As far as your car, since I am the guy who introduced the swing front-axle design with solid drop arm, I can say positively that your car was certainly inspired by the design.

As far as that car you said you sent, we discussed that previously. The first time I heard of it was 4-5 years ago when you came to California, and let me tell you this again: I do not know where and how you sent it but I have never seen it. To be honest I cannot even remember that you ever told me about it when you shipped it. I am a pack-rat. If I had received the car, I would still have it today. If I had received it, it would have been published in Miniature Auto Racing just like the others I received from people who got theirs back after it was done. I am not a thief. All the cars we have in the collection (unfortunately none of yours) were PURCHASED or donated. We would love to have one of yours some day but so far I have been unable to locate one.
The only things we have from you are a new Pooch arm in its original bag, three set-ups from the late 1970s, and arms for those donated by Mick Brown.
I wish that you would understand once and for all that I never had your car.
Regards,

#40 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

Well, the "sleepin" dogs aren't lying around now. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes it's best to let sleepin" dogs lie???

#41 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:58 PM

Come on, Rick, post some more pictures and take your thread back . . . Quick, before someone else gets hurt.

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#42 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

I was going to post this after I got my version done but I guess I better post what I'm plan to do next right now.

Allrighty then . . . let's get "clicken". :) . See where the rectangular hole in the drop arm has been filled in with a "gizmo"?

Posted Image

Here is a closer look:

Posted Image

That "gizmo" is a sliding weight. The straight wires are soldered to the plate and keep it from falling out the bottom of the drop arm. The U-shaped wires are soldered to the drop arm and keep the plate from coming out the top of the drop arm.

Here's what Joel told me about it, "The sliding weight was the "clicker". There was approx .015 movement side to side and front to back. Up/down more like .005-.010. A bit more than just enough to move but not a radical amount. The thinking was to add the weight (full glue era, ya know) at a low point in relation to c.g. and to avoid introducing added stiffness and hopefully providing a modicum of vibration dampening in the process. There just may have been some consideration of mind games in there as well, but, hey . . . it was the '70s" :)

Thanks for the insight, Joel. :up: I'll be clicken' away this weekend and I'll post pictures of the progress.

Onward!

Rick Thigpen

#43 prplgeez

prplgeez

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:02 PM

Phillipe,

Like I said in the previous post, I'm not just going to sit idly by and watch you re-write
history . . . you did a good enough job of that when it wasn't yet "history". Sure, send me the lap charts . . . as soon as you get them printed.

It's nice to see progress on your part though . . . this last post where you make the statement; "As I said, you were best that day and won, and this is all what counts" demonstrates movement toward the true nature of events of the day . . . at least relative to your previous position of; "Joel lucked out that day, he never dominated the race as described in the story, and I led EVERY HEAT until the last one when he eventually was able to out-power my crawling car". Movement is good, Philippe . . . one step at a time, old friend.

By the mid point of that race, it was a matter of not giving it away . . . cruise control
engaged and set on protection mode. You wish to claim credit for the swing front wheel design . . . fine, it's yours - no disagreement . . . along with your triangle of hoaxarithm. As I told you then, the front wheels don't do JACK for anything resembling a modern professional glue slingin' slot car . . . except to get you through tech inspection.

While you were busily hyping yourself in the magazines based upon that triangle swing arm and . . . was it 6 degrees "toe-in"?, we were racing and developing on virtually every professional track East (and many West) of the Mississippi. Not only was my car in no way a copy of yours, but to demonstrate the differences, I intentionally chose to use toe-OUT for the front wheels and ya know what . . . it didn't make a bit of difference.

I have never said (nor felt) that you weren't an influence in the sport nor that you were anything short of an excellent racer and, had you raced longer, you may well have been one of the greats. You're a very talented man with a tremendous skill set . . . I wish you could simply accept yourself for what you are instead of what your ego would have you be.

As for the Hansen chassis . . . don't worry about it, I've long ago accepted the fact that I'll never see it again . . . enjoy.
Joel Montague

#44 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:46 AM

Sounds like professional jealousy to me . . . :(
Gary Stelter

#45 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:40 AM

On whose part??? :shock: ;) :lol:

#46 GaryH

GaryH

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:14 AM

You can never count on what you read in the history books to be completely accurate. There is, was, and always will be revisionists doing the writing. Ask ten people who attended a particular event what they saw and see how many tell you the same thing.
Colts and Kimbers are what you show your friends.
Glocks are what you show your enemies!

Gary Hopkins

#47 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

Like I said in the previous post, I'm not just going to sit idly by and watch you re-write history . . . you did a good enough job of that when it wasn't yet "history". Sure, send me the lap charts . . . as soon as you get them printed.

It's nice to see progress on your part though . . . this last post where you make the statement; "As I said, you were best that day and won, and this is all what counts" demonstrates movement toward the true nature of events of the day . . . at least relative to your previous position of; "Joel lucked out that day, he never dominated the race as described in the story, and I led EVERY HEAT until the last one when he eventually was able to out-power my crawling car". Movement is good, Philippe . . . one step at a time, old friend.

Joel,
Donna Hubbell gave me the lap charts after the race. I asked if I could have them because I needed to show Bill Steube what happened. I have enormous respect for your accomplishments in the hobby, and you will be correctly represented in the book I am presently writing. However, you were racing that day, and when one is racing, one is quite busy. I am convinced that you were not aware of the little drama I had to deal with.
I am in Detroit until next week, and when I come back, I will dig up the records and scan then, then send them to you for your own edification. Memory can be funny, period documents are good to set things straight. I ran into this several times with other people and proved them wrong with period artifacts.

As far as your disappeared car, I don't not know how to repeat this again, the first time I have ever heard of this is when you told me about it just what, five years ago?
If you had sent it and nothing came out of it, why did you not call or write let say, a week or a month after you sent it, to confirm that indeed I received it? I never heard from you. Also you could have asked me about it at any of the races we attended together. Again, not a word . . . Then if it had been shipped, to WHAT address? I suggested to you that you could have been sent to either Miniature Auto Racing or Model Car Science magazines in Los Angeles and not to me . . . and that someone there did not know what it was and Lord knows what happened then.
We have over 200 pro-racing cars in the museum, don't you think that we would not LOVE to have that car? Besides the late 1970s setups indicated in a previous thread, we do have a Pooch S-24 with cut-down Champion can in a Tony P car built for Bruce Paschal probably in 1973, and another similar motor found in a Gilbert car. Don't you think we would not want one of your actual cars to display with the many others?

Why would I steal your car then, it had no collectible value for anyone at the time. What would have been my motivation?
Please do not blame me for something I have nothing to do with, I would really appreciate it. You are 100% wrong about this one, we can argue the other matters around the charts, facts, and testimonies if we care.
Regards,

#48 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

I realize we are all guests on this forum. It is however, my post. As such, I feel compelled to say something about my intentions for the topic of my post:

My friend Adam REALLY loves early '70s pro cars and he has a short list of ones he'd like recreated. One of them was the 1973 Western States Championship WINNING Neat Things "Diamond" of Philippe de Lespinay. With PdL's help of pictures and technical advise I was able to do my best to make that car. Thank you, Philippe :) .

Here is a link to the Diamond build (dial-up beware!).

Another car on "the list" is the 1973 National Championship WINNING car of Joel Montague. With the help of my good friend Steve Okeefe I had the opportunity to get in touch with Joel by email. He, too, has been super helpful in providing me with pictures and technical information that I am attempting to share with everyone here. Thank you Joel :) .

Now, as Isaac Asimov wrote, "I am but an egg", meaning I'm not a famous pro racer. I am a mere enthusiast and student of a HOBBY I love. However, having built PdL's car and being in the process of building Joel's I must say that if both cars were the same I wouldn't bother posting this build. Yes, they are both of the next evolution of pro car (which I believe PdL pioneered) with fixed drop arms and independent front suspension. But, to my eye they are as different as a 1963 Ferrari GTO (PdL's Diamond) and a 1963 Corvette Grand Sport (The Montague Missile).

Look at the difference in the front suspension. The Diamond uses elegant .062" piano wire A-arms with .030" piano wire braces reinforced with fine wire wrapping. These A-arms are nested together and pivot in the center of the drop arm and toe the wheel inward. The Missile uses just a single massive .093" wire L-arm pivoting outboard on each side of the drop arm and toeing the wheels outward.

Look at the main rails. Each has two rails per side soldered to the drop arm and extending back to the rear axle tube. The Diamond's rails on the can side of the motor are bent at an angle to accept the motor. No half rails are used. The Missile's main rails are all straight. The motor angle is established by a half rail inside the two main rails. Again, very different approaches.

Look at the "clicker" I pictured above. It's certainly a novel item that the Missile has and the Diamond doesn't. I don't know if helps performance or not but it makes the chassis different and I can't wait to make it! Those are some of the differences so far and I just started construction.

So, back to my intentions in this post. With the help of the actual builder of this really cool Missile, I hope to show its recreation to the best of my ability. The hidden details will be revealed that you just can't see in the grainy vintage pictures. I hope this will help others to build there own versions or at least give an insight to what it took to create the 1973 National Championship winning car of Joel Montague.

I only have time to work on my hobby on the weekends so Saturday I hope to show details of making the "clicker".

Onward to the fun of scratchbuilding :)

Rick Thigpen

#49 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:24 PM

Great stuff!
Nice to see postings by some retrobates that have been missing.
Isn't it neat that PdL has provided a place where those of us that figured out a way to make some money off these silly toys (& the addicts thereof) can get together & review the good old days.
No doubt (more than anything else) we all remember how much fun we've had, even if the pay has sometimes not been equal to the effort. :lol:
Being able to watch a debate about just who had the most fun at a particular get-together is hilarious, thanks. :mrgreen:

• Jocke P likes this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#50 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,836 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:51 PM

Being able to watch a debate about just who had the most fun at a particular get-together is hilarious, thanks. :mrgreen:

After all, Jim, isn't that what we're here for, to provide comic relief for the worker bees as they wade through the morass that is "the workday"?

I DO work sometimes. :shock:
Richard L. Hofer

Electric Dreams Online Shop