• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 brucefl

brucefl

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:11 AM

I will be helping Jim to answer any motor questions you wish to ask.

Unfortunately Jim is in a rehabilitation facility and hopes to be back home shortly but while he is recuperating it was agreed by Philippe and myself (Bruce Schwartz) that this would be good for Jim as wel as a welcome resource for Slotblog. Hopefully this will shortly become a forum, but why not get things started informally to get it going sooner rather than later?

OK, guys, fire away and pick Jim's brain. The day following your questions, I will post Jim's answers.

And thanks from Jim and me. He hopes to see you all soon, perhaps at the museum opening.
Bruce Schwartz

#2 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:45 AM

:) No questions - just well wishes for one of the greatest motor builders ever!! The combination of Greenaway horsepower and Ed Sohl chassis were always unbeatable on the famous King track at Glen Oaks Speedway!!!

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,955 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

Bruce, here's a question for Big Jim.

Please ask him what he considers the most important aspect of building a fast motor. Is it strong magnets, matched magnets, air gap, brush hood alignment, armature, etc. I realize this is a broad question, but I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say on this topic.
Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"I am hopeless romantic when it comes to automobiles. I like the noise of the race car. I like the aroma of racing fuel." - Bill Warner

#4 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

Can't wait to hear from Jim, tell him "The Flash" wishes him a speedy recovery. Jim and I did battle often at Glen Oaks.
Fred Correnti

#5 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,462 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:09 PM

the most important aspect of building a fast motor. Is it strong magnets, matched magnets, air gap, brush hood alignment, armature, etc.

Remember those test questions that the answer was all of the above?

If you get any one part of the motor build wrong there is a loss of performance. The one thing you didn't mention was alignment, getting things straight and reducing friction is critical to building a fast motor.
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#6 brucefl

brucefl

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:20 PM

Hi guys. Jim will get your questions and well wishes today. I'm sure he will be overjoyed to hear from everyone. (Just to let you know, he can't read them so I will be reading them to him. He's due to get an operation for his eyes soon and, god willing, then all will be well in the Greenaway camp.)
Bruce Schwartz

#7 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,462 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

Got any tips for blueprinting a B-can?
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#8 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 16,096 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:13 PM

Bruce, I don't have any questions but please convey one giant hello from me, Gorski, and Tony P!
Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies
Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#9 brucefl

brucefl

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

I'm calling Jim now. Thanks, guys, for the well wishes, soon maybe we'll all meet and Jim will be on his feet.

Tell Tony that Jim had a few chuckles when I mentioned the old saying "someone's got to eat it" that was brought up on OWH and there was a debate as to who coined it, either Jim or Tony. Then Jim said Tony was/is huge and I let him know that I was told Tony supposedly underwent stomach stapling and was now thin.

I will write Jim's thoughts and notes to his friends either today or tomorrow. Again, thanks.
Bruce Schwartz

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,916 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

I think that Fred Strauss cornered that . . . :)
Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#11 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 16,096 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:41 AM

Tell Tony that Jim had a few chuckles when I mentioned the old saying "someone's got to eat it" that was brought up on OWH and there was a debate as to who coined it, either Jim or Tony.

Tony P officially confirmed that Jim coined the phrase. When asked how much he trimmed down he stated "Noose, Philippe, and Gorski" combined. :lol:
Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies
Lexan is my canvas!
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#12 brucefl

brucefl

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:58 AM

1) Jim concurs about the motor as far as importance, all are equally important, and he brought up the old Mabuchi motors when they started experimenting with rewinds and found that the brushes were melting, every part of the equation to reduce friction was slowly being eliminated, changing from bushings to bearings, shaft hardness, as they discovered points that could be improved they were tried out as history bears out.
2) Flash, Jim recalls bat pan flaps with you. I'm not quite sure what he's referring to but perhaps you can shed some light on that and fill in the gaps. Did you innovate something in regards to the bat pans?
3) B-cans Jim didn't really recollect them but said it must have been a ball bearing can.
40 As far as blueprinting a motor his response was that it would be schematics for building or determining if it was built correctly.
5) Noose once I mentioned your name he immediately said, "oh, Joe" and said hello. And once I said Tony Ps name he let out the old familiar Jim Greenaway chuckle as only Jim could do, loud and resounding.
5) Guys, please give me the name he would recognise you by. Remember it's been a few decades. Jim and I thank you so much for showing the love and he says there are no secrets about either his life now and before and all his knowledge of the sport both technically and personally. I will try once a week to ask Jim your questions and relate your well wishes.
Bruce Schwartz

#13 loudspeaker

loudspeaker

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:47 PM

Bruce, Please give Big Jim my regards. It's been a long time since I've heard his laugh but I'm glad he is still laughing.
Sandy Gross

#14 brucefl

brucefl

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

Sandy, I certainly will. He brought up your name when I so terribly confused someone else with you. Anyway, enough of those mistakes. I will be calling him on Friday.

Hey, will we get to see you any time soon, back in the crouching tiger position racing slot cars? I hope so. Just let me know and I'm there. It's nice hearing from you.
Bruce Schwartz

#15 Rick Davis

Rick Davis

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for posting information about Big Jim Greenaway ( as far as I was concerned the only Big Jim ) Please give him my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Used his armatures during my brief involvement in 1/24 (between 1/32 and R/C gas racing) they were a huge part of any sucesses I have had, and what was particularily great, especially for an independent like myself, was Jim's ability (due to the silver-soldered comms) to put a fresh commutator on a perfectly good arm that had just been turned too far. Probably was too immature and short-sighted at the time but I probably never thanked him enough for all his help and support.
Rick Davis

#16 loudspeaker

loudspeaker

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

Hi Bruce,

Crouching tiger position? Is this with my controller behind my back leaning over?

I enjoyed visiting the race Sunday at Zeppellin and seeing friends I hadn't seen in 40 years. (I can't believe it's been that long.) Racing again remains to be seen.
Sandy Gross

#17 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,916 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

Racing or not, it was sheer pleasure to talk thrash and recall tall stories . . . Sandy, I hope that you will visit us soon on the Left Coast. Mike, John, and others would enjoy seeing you again. :)
Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#18 Jaz

Jaz

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:15 PM

Hi Bruce!

Please give Jim my warmest regards. He was one of the true personalities I have a hard time forgetting.

Please tell him "the Wolfman" sends his best wishes. He used to call me that because I used to have these enormous lamb-chop side burns and he would grab hold of them at the raceway (G.O., Buzzy's, Vic's, and Nutley) and drag me around with me in his big mitts!! all the while chuckling, "Heh, heh, heh . . . someone's gotta eat it, geek!"

I will never forget his ribbing of me 'cause I used to show up for races with Reeteez motors, then Steubes. When I finally smoked them all, he had pity on me and loaned me one of his mototrs until I could afford a new BB setup from him.

Cheers!
Jeff Morris

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over." Fuds 1st law of opposition

#19 prplgeez

prplgeez

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:24 AM

Long time, Big Guy . . . I hope your recovery goes well. You're one of the truly GREAT people I've met through the eons!
Joel Montague

#20 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• 10,077 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

Joel, hope you are doing well yourself. It's been a long time.
tonyp
Team Trinity

http://www.zazzle.com/tonypspyder.

"Damn lizards" tonyp, 2009

I know why people retire to Florida, So when you die & go to hell it is like you are spending eternity in a winter wonderland.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan, 1965

#21 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,916 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:46 AM

Hi Joel,
Welcome to Slotblog! Everyone here hopes that you will be a regular contributor, as we need your stories and experience in these pages. :)
Philippe de Lespinay

#22 John Gorski

John Gorski

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:20 PM

Hi Big Jim! Best wishes! Remember this picture? :mrgreen:

Posted Image
John Gorski, Jr.

Home of the Gorski Double-Micro Controller

#23 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,916 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:06 AM

John,
Please tell us who everyone is, thanks! :)
Philippe de Lespinay

#24 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:16 PM

8) Hey, John - great picture!!! A couple of the other guys look familiar but I can't seem to be able to put names with the faces. Any ideas? What raceway was that at?

Thanks.

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#25 endbelldrive

endbelldrive

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

Hi, Big Jim. We've never met but now is a good time to say "Hi." Better late than never.

That looks like an old picture because I see thumb controllers if my eyes aren't deceiving me. Hey, Noose, is that you on the far end? 8)
Bob Suzuki

#26 brucefl

brucefl

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:26 PM

Well, guys, this week all your well wishes were received thank God because Jim had a health scare and was sent into the hospital.

But once he was stabilized and he could be reached, when I told him you sent your regards Sandy he perked up. And, Rick, when I asked if he remembered you he let out a resounding "of course". Jeff, when I mentioned the wolfman and mentioned the story about your sideburns that got the Big Jim laughter. Joel, your statement was an emotional moment for jim; it clearly touched him.

Let me tell everybody that this is the best medicine anybody could prescribe for Jim. God willing, we will see him through all this and have a reunion.

Jim is in St. Johns Episcopal Hospital in Far Rockaway, Queens, and looks to get back to the nursing facility where he expects to get back to rehabilitation. That facility is Brookhaven Nursing Facility, Far Rockaway, 17th street Beach, Queens, NY. I'm supplying this info in case anybody wants it; as Jim says, there are no secrets. This saga started when Jim's house burnt down and Jim barely escaped with his life. He fell in the street and was off his feet for a period which can many times lead to pulmonary issues since he has been going through an extended recuperation period. His wife tells me it will probably be his spirit that will get him through and that's where we all come in, and it's starting to help. Of course I'm sure all of you want to understand Jim's knowledge of the sport, so as soon as he's moved along with his condition we will resume answering any questions, his mind is still quite sharp.

Til next time when Big Jim laughs.
Bruce Schwartz

#27 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 16,096 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:44 AM

Hey Noose, is that you on the far end? 8)

It surely is. It's Michael Mara, Big Jim, Tony P, Bob Tidaback, ?, Bary DeShong, and lil ol Noose. It was taken at Nutley.
Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Lexan is my canvas!

#28 Bob Emott

Bob Emott

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:50 PM

LET ME SEE THAT CAR, KID . . .

Was one of the most terrifying things any kid could hear when he was racing his car at "Cape Oaks" as the blue King was known to some of us . . . Before the advent of high power motors, the track was great . . . But as the motors got faster, a couple of launch ramps started to appear. Jim found a trick that helped almost everyone get past the bumps and avoid launching. If someone was having trouble with his car, Jim would laugh and say to the racer in his super low voice, LET ME SEE THAT CAR, KID . . . , and he would hold the car behind his back for a second, and then put it back on the track . . . and NO more launching . . .

What Jim was doing was what we all do with our cars now . . . He was flatening out the braid by pushing it forward and then pulling it back to make it lay flat against the guide AND, he was bending the nose of the swing arm up a hair in the front so the rear of the braid rested solid on the track and the front edge of the guide didn't hit the high spots at the joints and the rear of the guide was solidly in the slot . . . Jim was so strong that he could bend the nose of a 1/16" brass swing arm in an instant while he hid the car behind his back . . . He would then LAUGH, HEH . . . HEH . . . HEH, with a laugh that was so deep that it sounded like it was coming from down in the basement somewhere and he would say TRY IT NOW . . . KID!!! And the car would run great . . . And it didn't matter who the racer was or how old he was, it was always TRY IT NOW . . . KID!!! (I think Jim called me KID all the time I knew him . . .)

I managed to get Jim to tell me what he was doing to the cars, and from that day on, I used that trick (especially the slightly nose-up guide) to make my cars handle a bit better . . . THANKS, JIM !!! Your trick made me look like I knew what I was doing . . .
Robert Emott, Jr
12/15/40-4/21/14
Requiescat in Pace

#29 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

8) Bob---you are so right---I was one of those "kids" you are referring to. I remember standing next to Jim in the bank and when he would laugh his cigar ashes would fall onto the track. The track owner's wife, Mrs. Jones, would have a fit.

Fun times for shure!!!

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#30 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

Does anybody remember Jamie Morton, his mother, and her boyfriend "Doc" from Glen Oaks? Jim made a ton of money building cars for them. He literally built a car a week for them. They were arrogant and rich, and Jim was virtually their personal slotcar builder but it gave him the opportunity to experiment . . .
Fred Correnti

Electric Dreams Online Shop