68 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

The Florida track owners that are involved in My Series 2011 - The Race Place (Holly Hill), theRaceway.biz (Cocoa), ASR IndoorMotorSports (Longwood),and Slot Car Raceway & Hobbies (Jacksonville) - met on Sunday for a very productive meeting. My Series 2011 will have a very different look.

The "new" will be in procedure, a new class, and hopefully, participation. There are not too many technical changes, so participating with your current equipment will not be a problem! Also, the very popular "GROUP F" will replace the well intentioned but ill-fated SPEC 12. And still just $10 per race.

Here is a rough - and unofficial - rundown of the changes

Race Dates - Winter/Spring 2011
Saturday, January 8th - The Race Place - Holly Hill, Florida
Saturday, February 12th - ASR IndoorMotorSports - Longwood, Florida
Saturday, March 12th - Slot Car Raceway & Hobbies - Jacksonville, Florida
Saturday, April 16th - The Raceway.biz - Cocoa, Florida

Summer/Fall dates and tracks are TBD.

4" NASCAR
May now run the FLA16D motor or a JK Falcon 7
May run a JK COT, Kelly Daytona, Parma Intrepid, or Outisight Charger (230) body

GT1 - Sponsored by JK Products
No changes at this time

GTP
May use a ball bearing in the can end of the S16D motor

Group F - New Class
Offical rules are still being finalized ... but essentially ...
Wing-style chassis
Falcon 7 or Hawk 7 motor
Wing car body
63 gram minimum

Group 12
I don't think there were any changes at this time

There may be a tweak or two as everyone digests the program, but the intent was to keep it simple.

Rollin Isbell

#2 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

Rollin,

I talked with Bill Pinch earlier today, and he said that there is no series championship for My Series 2011. Each race event is a separate race upon itself. Also, there is no drivers classes this coming year, that is, everyone races together. These two facts (please confirm) kills the high interest that I had for the 2011 series. I have no incentive to attend any of the races. I have ZERO chance to podium finish in any of the classes. We can list the 5 to 8 drivers that are going to dominate each race. I can not even podium finish at the weekly races at the Cocoa track. With several other drivers mixed in, I will be fortunate to finish 6th thru 10th.

Words can not describe my disappointment.
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#3 Mopar Rob

Mopar Rob

Retro Snob as of 1/12/2011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

So if you can't podium you don't race? That's a mature attitude.

Basically you want to race against some guys that are almost as fast as you so you have to work at it and feel good about a win or podium, but not too fast because you want to be the winner? ;)

Rob Hanson

Shops at Mid-America Raceway and uses R-Geo Products

Rob was right!

#4 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

Rob, you obviously dont get it.
Doc Dougherty
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio

#5 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

Rob, I'd like to know how you got "you want to race against some guys that are almost as fast as you" out of what I wrote. What I want is a realistic chance to podium finish if I have a really good car and drive a great race. I will never podium finish when there are 3 to 4 local fast guys, along with the 4 to 6 "very experienced" guys who run in the Floroda series.

I got back into slot racing back in March of this year. So I missed the first two races of the series, we did not have a race in April, missed the May event due to a wedding, and competed in three classes (4" Nascar, JK GT1, GTP) in the last two events. Out of the 6 races, I had two podium finishes, 2nd and a 3rd (both on my home track). I would be perfectly good with racing against the same group of drivers. So I say to you, you dont know me and you dont know the Florda series, so why do you think I want to race agianst only those guys who are almost as fast as I am? You are very wrong with what you wrote.

I got back into slot racing in part for two main reasons, 1) there was an active state series championship, and 2) for the competition. The current proposed 2011 series provides me with no incentive. I can continue to get beat every weekly race at my home track. I dont need the state series to make things worse for me.
Doc Dougherty

#6 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

I have the same problem here in Mississippi with the State Championship, it really sucks :D

Paul Wolcott

#7 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:49 AM

Rollin,

I talked with Bill Pinch earlier today, and he said that there is no series championship for My Series 2011. Each race event is a separate race upon itself. Also, there is no drivers classes this coming year, that is, everyone races together. These two facts (please confirm) kills the high interest that I had for the 2011 series. I have no incentive to attend any of the races. I have ZERO chance to podium finish in any of the classes. We can list the 5 to 8 drivers that are going to dominate each race. I can not even podium finish at the weekly races at the Cocoa track. With several other drivers mixed in, I will be fortunate to finish 6th thru 10th.

Words can not describe my disappointment.

Doc,

I think there may still be a tweak or two.

I think that the owners are willing to try some new or new/old approaches. Including going to a qualifying format - like retro racing - at least to set the Mains.

Once set, why not recognize the podium in each? Each month you'll be competing against guys that are at a similar skill level on that track. Seems like you'll have a better chance of a podium that way --- whether it's in the A or B or C.

And regarding points, it's probably a toss-up between (1) the number of guys who race for points and (2) the number of guys who stop racing because they have no chance at winning the points battle and (3) the guys who stop racing because they wanted to avoid finishing well so they wouldn't get moved up in class.

But, like I said, there may still be a tweak or two.

RI

Rollin Isbell

#8 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

Rollin,

In other words, they did away with the separation of the Amateur Division and the Expert Division?? What on earth for??

No My Series GT-1 Amateur Champion for 2011??? No My Series NASCAR Expert Class champion?? I am very much with DOC here on this. If there is not going to be a series Champion then why should a racer bother to go race in the My Series? They would be better off just racing in the races at their local track. I hope I am reading this wrong, but this is not the way to get people out to race in a series. Granted I didn't get to race but at one venue this past year because of my Saturday work schedule, but I would have loved to have made more races than what I did.

Boy, things have sure changed since I ran my very first My Series in 2008. Even though there should have been a separation of Expert/Amateur in GTP racing that year, it was a lot of fun racing in all the events, and the participation level was much higher. Lots of racers, lots of cars, multiple heats to make the main. Now where are we?

Michael Rigsby

"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#9 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:24 AM

Michael,

You hit the nail right on the head with your second paragraph. What really ties the four races together. Now, nothing. What would motivate me to travel to Jacksonville and compete there? If the format isn't any more than a weekly race, why bother. Or even the opening race at Holly Hill. I think that the track owners have shot themselves in the foot here by not having a series championship to race for, and doing away with the driver classes.

However, I do agree that moving up the top three Amateur drivers from each class to the Expert class is too many. I would have optioned to move up only the champion of each car class. That would still leave me and other amateurs something to compete for.
Doc Dougherty

#10 Mopar Rob

Mopar Rob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

Rob, I'd like to know how you got "you want to race against some guys that are almost as fast as you" out of what I wrote. What I want is a realistic chance to podium finish if I have a really good car and drive a great race. I will never podium finish when there are 3 to 4 local fast guys, along with the 4 to 6 "very experienced" guys who run in the Floroda series.

You just said it all there :dash2: To paraphrase; you want to podium if you have a really good car and drive a great race, but don't want to race against 3-4 local fast guys or 4-6 very experienced traveling guys.

In regard to why should you compete in a series that doesn't have an overall end of the year championship. Maybe to see friends that you only see at the track, test your skills against the 3-4 local "hot shots" that will only do their home track race, race at a different facility than your home track, do something that you enjoy doing and most importantly have fun? Isn't that why were supposed to be doing this stuff in the first place?

Personaly, I don't live in Flordia or race there. It doesn't make a difference to me if you compete in a series or don't. I have competed in and help run a series that lasted for 17 years and listened to statements like yours all the time. Relistically how many classifications do you want or should it be broken down into? Everyone wants to win that's why it's racing and most compete. Don't you think the guys that are almost as good as you, but will never beat you would like a podium finish also? They probably feel they have a good car and have driven a great race?

What's the point if you have Pro, Semi Pro, Expert, Amatuer, Novice, and Beginer? And even if it's split into that many classes everyone wont podium and you will still have those who never will.

I'm going to race at the Sano this weekend and get to see friends from Mississippi, Texas, and New Jersey. I'll also get to meet people who I've PM'd and traded slot stuff with for the first time. I'll get hassle Ron in person about sealed motors and gernerally BS with all the participants. Somwhere in there I'll race and hope to have a good finish, but if I don't I really don't care because I'll be having fun and seeing people that I only see at big races.

I don't think you get it?

Rob Hanson

Rob was right!

#11 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

I guess the question here is: What should a set of State (or regional) series races provide for the racer?

Now, I can only speak for myself. So this is what I think:
#1 They should offer something above and beyond your typical weekly races.
#2 They should provided an incentive or encouragement to compete in all of the races.
#3 They should provide an avenue for the racers to compete against each other at various race venues.
#4 They should provide a mechanism by which racers of similar talent can compete against each other on an equal footing.

Having a series champion in each car class whereby total points added up from all of the races takes care of #1 and #2.

Having multiple race track owners involved in the series takes care of #3.

Having more than one driver class takes care of #4.

Rob: you and I compete for different reasons. I race because I like the competition. I am not a completely unfriendly guy, I do talk to my fellow racers at these races. In addition, the faster guys have been very helpful to me concerning car setup. If my prime driver (no pun intended) was to shot the breeze with friends, I could join the Moose or Elks club; but I am racing for the competition. If I am racing against those of simlar talent and I step up and get more competitive to the point that I became a class champion, I would be looking forward to stepping up to the next driver level. And the cycle continues. We had only two driver classes last year. I thought that worked out pretty good. Contrary to what you said, I am not looking forward to racing only against those other drivers that I can beat every time. I want competition. That is why back in the 60's when I become the fastest guy in Canton Ohio, I branched out to Akron (a city about 4 times the size of Canton). When I did not have good competition there, I branch out to the greater Cleveland area. I found plenty of competition there that kept me slot racing for several more years.

As the Florida state series stands now, the various races amount to glorified weekly races. They have no cohesiveness with each other; no incentive to compete in all of the races.
Doc Dougherty

#12 Mopar Rob

Mopar Rob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

I also like to race for the competition. If I didn't I would join some group like you suggested. I also wouldn't be taking 10 cars to the Sano. I guess it's all perspective. I would prefer to race against the best and come in 7th than to be put into a semi-pro group or whatever you want to call it and podium. I try to build a better car, learn to tune it better, practice or do whatever it might take to get better. If that's the best I'll ever do, than so beit since I had a good time BSing with friends at the race.

Based on your description from the 60's you should be running in the pro group anyway. You figured out how to get faster back then so do it now. Don't whine about needing to be put in a lower class that you probably don't belong in anyway.

As far as a series with an overall championship goes it has its pro's and con's. Running the series you have to worry about having enough entrants to pay for then end of year trophy / plaques or whatever is handed out. It's even worse if your spitting the field into groups. Not knowing participation I can see it as an issue in today's economy.

People are busier than ever and even if you have drops it's hard to have participation in every race. I've seen people drop out of the series I participated in because they had a bad race and they know they were going to need their drop for some prior commitment that conflicted with another race date. I've also seen people who weren't that great of a racer take home 3rd place plaques because they happend to do ALL the races in that class.

A series should provide classes that aren't run on a weekly basis at most of the tracks that are hosting events. Whether it be Open Group 12 or some other class that is more labor intensive or too expensive to run weekly. That will even the playing field and take care of 1-4 and gather some interest from non-series regulars.

Rob Hanson

Rob was right!

#13 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

Rollin,

In other words, they did away with the separation of the Amateur Division and the Expert Division?? What on earth for??

No My Series GT-1 Amateur Champion for 2011??? No My Series NASCAR Expert Class champion?? I am very much with DOC here on this. If there is not going to be a series Champion then why should a racer bother to go race in the My Series? They would be better off just racing in the races at their local track. I hope I am reading this wrong, but this is not the way to get people out to race in a series. Granted I didn't get to race but at one venue this past year because of my Saturday work schedule, but I would have loved to have made more races than what I did.

Boy, things have sure changed since I ran my very first My Series in 2008. Even though there should have been a separation of Expert/Amateur in GTP racing that year, it was a lot of fun racing in all the events, and the participation level was much higher. Lots of racers, lots of cars, multiple heats to make the main. Now where are we?

Michael Rigsby

Mike,

Here was the gist of why we're considering doing away with driver classifications .... the last two years at a few events there were only three or four "experienced" racers present but that meant that we spent 45 minutes running a race for three or four guys. Three guys who were racing cars exactly like the ones the "amateurs" just raced. If you do away with the classification and qualify, then the racers present that day are split by their ability on that track, that day. I think everyone has more fun when it's a full field.

Let's go back to the 2008 GTP example you cited ... if we had qualified to set the Mains - instead of random draws for heat races - everyone would have raced against similarly talented racers. Then we could have awarded payouts for each group instead of allowing experienced racers steal candy from babies. (Although we might need to stagger the percentages to fit the A, B and C.)

In practice, qualifying establishes the driver's classification every month. A guy who is an A-Main driver at his local track is not necessarily an A-Main driver on the road course in Holly Hill. And a guy who is an A-Main driver on the road course in Holly Hill is not necessarily an A-Main driver on the Hillclimb in Jacksonville or Cocoa or the King in Longwood. But every month he's racing against racers with a similar skill set.

If y'all want a points system, tell your track owner (you just did) and I'm sure we can come up with a fair system. I have to track where the entries come from any how.

A problem of the old system is the number of drivers that choose not to race all of the races because doing so would cause them to move up in classification. Plus drivers that quit racing after being forced to move up in every class because they won one class.

Rollin Isbell

#14 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

"....... I've also seen people who weren't that great of a racer take home 3rd place plaques because they happend to do ALL the races in that class. ...."

Back in 1998 or 1999 I won a trophy t-shirt that I've always been too embarassed to wear. It says "2nd Place, Novice Division." That was the Amateur Division at the time and I only finished 2nd place because I made every race and most of the other guys didn't. I think my highest finish that year was a fourth or fifth. I had no local track and only raced those six or seven times all year. I raced simply because I wanted to play with my toy cars. I certainly didn't earn a 2nd Place finish.

"..... A series should provide classes that aren't run on a weekly basis at most of the tracks that are hosting events. Whether it be Open Group 12 or some other class that is more labor intensive or too expensive to run weekly. That will even the playing field and take care of 1-4 and gather some interest from non-series regulars.

The economy has made this part tougher. Guys are reluctant to have a "local race program" and a "state race program."

Rollin Isbell

#15 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

Doc,

As far as the system of moving the top three up to expert, that is pretty much accepted, and I agree that it should be that way. When I won the Amateur NASCAR division in 2008, I automatically went up to Expert in 2009, not just in NASCAR, but in all divisions. I thought at first that was unfair, but in reality I was the top placing amateur in GTP also (5th place overall), and I had no business being in the Amateur class after that with what I picked up in that first year back racing after a 20+ year layoff. There were actually more that should have been running Expert division the following year, but that's another story because they sandbagged so as not to finish 2nd or 3rd behind me that year.

I'm not going to say that if I went to the AMSRA nats that I would want to run the Expert division there, more like Advanced Amateur, but if I got put in the Expert division, I would do my best, and having run a USRA Nats before a long time ago in the Amateur division, I wouldn't be disappointed in any effort I put out. It's all a mindset Doc. I know some of the guys you run against in Cocoa. They are tough to beat on Bill's track, just like I can be tough to get around on my home track in Jacksonville. Heck I have a hard time beating some of the very excellent racers here in Jax. Rollin, Buddy Houser, J.T. Thompson, and Tom Marlowe are just a few and very well known around the state racing circuit. But just because they are tough to beat, doesn't mean it can't be done, and on those very rare occaisions I have proved that (usually when Jupiter aligns with Mars or something like that.....or they break). So finishing off podium with the caliber of racers we have in this state isn't really a bad thing....being able to hang with them and making them work for the win with clean driving and having fun in the process is what it's all about.

Having said that, I do hope they make some tweaks to the My Series and take it back to an overall points series, and not just a special local race. Only time will tell, so we will just have to see what happens. In the mean time, Doc, happy racing.

Michael Rigsby

"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#16 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

Michael, Your points are well taken, thank you for the reply.

Rollin, It seems that you gave this process some careful thought on how to improve the series and have it run quicker. However, your comment about having 3 or 4 experienced drivers is mis-leading. In the 5 race series in 2010, the spreadsheet shows that the participation of the experienced driver by class and in order was:
NASCAR; 10 10 6 4 3
GT1; 13 12 6 4 3
GTP; 11 9 6 6 3

It appears (to me) that those experience drivers who realized that they could not win a championship after the first 2 or 3 races, decided to drop out and not compete in the last two races. Or not, but thats the way I see it. Also, the econmy might have had a big say it this.

Also, your point of not earning that 2nd place in the series; I have to say that you did earn it by your participation. You supported the series, went to every race, so I think that you earned it. Whats wrong with that? For the 2010 My Series, we had 5 races that counted toward the championship, however, only we allowed one race to be dropped; so it was your best 4 of 5 races which I think is best. Even the Formula One series has had years whereby 14 of 16 (or whatever it was) counted toward the drivers championship. But I understand why you feel about that 2nd place overall.
Doc Dougherty

#17 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

Rollin, It seems that you gave this process some careful thought on how to improve the series and have it run quicker. However, your comment about having 3 or 4 experienced drivers is mis-leading. In the 5 race series in 2010, the spreadsheet shows that the participation of the experienced driver by class and in order was:
NASCAR; 10 10 6 4 3
GT1; 13 12 6 4 3
GTP; 11 9 6 6 3

It appears (to me) that those experience drivers who realized that they could not win a championship after the first 2 or 3 races, decided to drop out and not compete in the last two races. Or not, but thats the way I see it. Also, the econmy might have had a big say it this.

It has become a trend that we're hoping to reverse. To keep doing what we're doing and expect a different result would be ...... wait for it ..... insanity.

In 2009
Spec NASCAR - Experienced - 7,10,7,5,10,5,7,9. Note ... Race #5 was in Jacksonville and 7 of the 10 were locals and included Stuart -- who was a teenager at the time that was forced to move up to Experienced by doing well and attending all of the races in 2008. Race #8 was also in Jacksonville and 4 of the 9 were local racers
GTP - Experienced - 5,9,5,4,7,2,4,7. In Race #5, 6 out of 7 were locals. In Race #8, 5 out of 7 were locals.
Open NASCAR (it's final year) - 3,5,6,3,6,2,4,9 In Race #8, four out of the 9 ran their Spec NASCAR

The guys that were forced to move up after 2009 were Bill Stuyvenberg (1st NASCAR and 2nd GTP), Bob Rondinone (2nd NASCAR and 3rd GTP), JJ Perry (3rd NASCAR), and Kenny Holton (1st GTP). Bill's a very good driver and tough to beat in Holly Hill, but I think he would rather not be labled as an "Expert". I noticed that Bob didn't attend as many races in 2010 and JJ Perry is a teenager who I've heard is now drag racing - not sure though. And, Kenny is now a track owner and that automatically makes you an expert? Have you seen the way Johnny Banks and I drive???

One of the next finishers in NASCAR and GTP is a guy who has always had lots of racing interests, but he told me mid-season that he would skip the last few races to make sure that he didn't get promoted to Experienced.

Also, your point of not earning that 2nd place in the series; I have to say that you did earn it by your participation. You supported the series, went to every race, so I think that you earned it.

Thanks. It's a good shirt to wear when I mow the yard.

Rollin Isbell

#18 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

The guys that were forced to move up after 2009 were Bill Stuyvenberg (1st NASCAR and 2nd GTP), Bob Rondinone (2nd NASCAR and 3rd GTP), JJ Perry (3rd NASCAR), and Kenny Holton (1st GTP). Bill's a very good driver and tough to beat in Holly Hill, but I think he would rather not be labled as an "Expert". I noticed that Bob didn't attend as many races in 2010 and JJ Perry is a teenager who I've heard is now drag racing - not sure though. And, Kenny is now a track owner and that automatically makes you an expert? Have you seen the way Johnny Banks and I drive???

My comment on this: I always thought that moving up the top three in each class were too many drivers. But actually since they are typically the same set, only 3 or 4 actually move up. But I still think that only the champion should get moved up.

One of the next finishers in NASCAR and GTP is a guy who has always had lots of racing interests, but he told me mid-season that he would skip the last few races to make sure that he didn't get promoted to Experienced.

My comment on this: I think this guy should get moved up anyway.
Doc Dougherty

#19 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

Another matter has come up. My experience with 3 Hawk 7 motors is 2 have thrown windings. The first one went 1 second short a one race distance. The second motor ran slow and lasted thru one full race and 3/4 of the second race, then barely limped around for the last two heats. It was cooked. The third motor lasted 43 laps, thru windings like the first motor. I am gearing it correctly (11:35), these motors are junk. Please see my other post on this matter.

Rollin: I think that you track owners should seriously look at this situation. You have added a new class in My Series 2011; Group F, wing cars with Hawk 7 or Falcon 7 motors. I suggest you spec only Falcon 7 motors. I wont run Group F if the Hawk motors are allowed. I think that there is alot of dissatisfaction with this motor in Florida.
Doc Dougherty

#20 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

I've also experienced a "Three Heat" wonder. But I was on the lead lap when it threw the wind.

I've been told that dropping to a 10T pinion does wonders for their longevity.

I'll pass your thoughts along to the other track owners.

Rollin Isbell

#21 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

Bill gave me a new Hawk 7 motor after the 3rd one blow after 43 laps. Bill's a good guy. The reality is that if the Hawk 7 motor is allowed in, everyone will race it because its much quicker than the Falcon 7. Based on my experience, 3 motors of 8 will throw windings in the main event, and one person will be fortunate to have purchased the one fast motor that will run fast the whole race. How about a hand-out Falcon 7 motor for the state races in GroupF?
Doc Dougherty

#22 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:29 AM

:D Dan I can relate to the issues you are having. I have a suggestion although not being that familiar with Florida I don't know if it is geographically possible. I think you would have a great time racing Retro!!The qualifying seeds the mains and each main has podium winners and a chance to move up into the next main. It works for me and gives me a chance to compete with the top racers and sometimes even beat them. Check out the Retro races being run in Fla by Marty Stanley and Tony P.

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#23 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:28 AM

Mike, YES, I have been having a ball racing Retro cars here in Central Florida. I race under the GRRR group, organized by marty and Tony. You can find GRRR under the IRRA folder here on Slotblog. I have been doing this since July of this year. And Tony has beaten me every time. But I'm getting better. I like retro racing because i can build me own cars again and I get to race against racers like TonyP; so its a big challenge. The next retro race for me is on my home track in Cocoa on Nov 21st.
Doc Dougherty

#24 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:55 AM

Rollin: Have there been any changes to the My Series format? We had descussed two major issues that I have with the proposed 2011 series format. Also, it is only 4 weeks to the first race at Holly Hill. I would think that the series organizers would have the MYseries.org website updated for the 2011 series info.
Doc Dougherty

#25 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

Doc,

As of this moment, I have heard of no changes to the My Series for 2011. It is pretty much going to be a monthly championship, but that is something I have come to live with. Think of it as going to the local track and doing your best to beat the locals at their own track and having bragging rights if you podium. GT-1 bodies remain the same, NASCAR bodies are the JK COT, Parma Intrepid, Kelly Daytona, or the O/S Charger (have to look up the specific body number). Can bearings are only allowed in the S16D in GTP. THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BE ALLOWED IN THE REGULAR 16D USED IN NASCAR. I've heard two other racers say they are allowed in the 16D NASCAR, but no ruling has been made and it will be bushings only in that motor. One of the guys from Cocoa made this statement last night and Tom and I both corrected him on that. Falcon motors in NASCAR are allowed (guess which I am going to run?)

It was good to finally meet you last night Doc and it was a pleasure racing with you. The chassis that you showed to me shows a keen amount of craftsmanship and the soldering was flawless. I am not quite at that level but hopefully we can race against each other again whether it be in flexi or retro racing.

Michael Rigsby

Electric Dreams Online Shop