• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ravajack

ravajack

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

The Dynamic ”DynaBrute” is so far, and still, the only production anglewinder slot racing car in HO.
The DynaBrute was presented nearly 40 years ago, in the beginning of 1971. (Check here and here).

But the anglewinder concept in HO was tried and proven long before the DynaBrute.
Already in June 1969 did this car from Kansas City show up in the Model Car Science magazine:

Posted Image

Another HO AW creation showed up in Car Model in August 1970, this time from Canada:

Posted Image

Tom Malone shows how to build a HO AW from scratch in the same issue of Car Model, August 1970:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next up: A HO AW victory report from Parma Raceway in Car Model, October 1970.

Posted Image

Dale Flanagan reports yet another HO AW in his column in Car Model in November 1970:

Posted Image

An entirely new concept... The DynaBrute debuts in march 1971, with ads in the Car Model and Model Car Science magazines:

Posted Image

How to convert a Boss Riggen to a HO anglewinder is shown by Ed Bianchi in Car Model, October 1972,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car Model's Jose Rodriguez reveals in December 1972 that also Tyco had an early production HO AW car in the works:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Bertil Berggren
Overseas Observer

#2 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

I am studying this like its the Dead Sea Scrolls. :D
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#3 Foamy

Foamy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:55 PM

re: 1970 CM articles. I was racing these type cars months before the magazine came out. About a month after the TycoPig ahhh. . .I mean TycoPro came out, I had anglewinders running in HOUROC races. Ran them until the AFX came out.
  • pmodwrks likes this

Dennis Hill

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie,
preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason."

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,272 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:14 AM

Bertil,
After designing the Riggen HO car for Al Riggen and after I left the company after a dispute, I was asked by Hiram Johnson at Dynamic to design an HO car for them. I built the prototype that you can see in this ad:

Posted Image

The car as you can see has... Riggen front wheels and guide!
Once completed, it ran great. Then I left.
By the time Dynamic was done with the tooling, the thing had become a horrid, bloated pile...
Here is one I built for MAR that still exists, and that ran REALLY nicely:

cropped mar-71-ho dynabrute.jpg

ho-aw-1pdl1.jpg

ho-aw-2.jpg

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#5 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

Hi

I lost mine somewhere. I only have a few remains of the tyco pro cobra I had that was just because it was a Cobra, but not the serious chassis. No real racing locally, I was doing it just because I could.

But we have had that conversation, Philippe.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#6 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

PDL,

I built a pan anglewinder for Tom "Pumpkin Man" Lowden back when we were running at Buzzy's. The bottom pan held the motor and guide and the top was held to the bottom with 2 champion motor screws which was set to rattle around. The body and fronts on a dropped front axle were attached to it. It was actually quite good but never could get brakes because of the gears. I wish I had a picture. But unless Fred Strauss took one none would exist as I was too poor to have camera never mind pay for developing pictures. LOL....

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#7 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

Fred may well have a pic... I was lucky, I had a Soviet built Zenith camera and took a lot of pictures before the thing began losing bits... :)

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#8 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

Here's one from back in the day. Certus made a few of these, just the bare chassis. I don't recall how I came up with the friction drive. It was simply a short bit of surgical tubing sold as model airplane fuel line stretched out over a Tyco pinion gear, against AJs silicon tires.

certus car.jpg

On many tracks it was no good but on the Aurora tub track this car was king, and dominated the weekly races at G&G in the spring of 1972, I think. A tub is only nine or ten feet long and the start line was at the beginning of the straight. I would always be last going into the first corner and first by the the end of the first lap. Then it was set sail - see ya, boys! It was so smooth and easy to drive, plus it just hustled through the esses compared to all the rest.

Then came the summer break and upon return for the fall race season to find a new 16 foot long speedway with big long straights. Plus I think the AFX came out about then, and the Certus anglewinder was done. An old friend who is an avid collector has been hanging on to some of my old junk, and has offered to send me the Faller car that I raced with some success back then plus some "other stuff" I hope, hope, hope that other stuff is the remains of this car. :)
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
My link

#9 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

Here it is with the body, a Lancer BRM. Not all bodies fit on anglewinders, then and now.

certus 2.jpg

And what I play with now.

anglewinder 002 (600 x 450).jpg
Al Thurman
My link

#10 Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

The first two prototype of the Tyco Mk II were built & running in 1969.

Pat Dennis

#11 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

Boy, there's a lot of crazy-cool cars in the above...but it got me to wondering. It doesn't seem like it should be all that hard to make a screamer of a motor for these things (with the right parts)...but how in god's name do you keep the things on the track without the crutch, er...I mean "aid" of other devices like magnets and such????

-john
John Havlicek

#12 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Pat Dennis MK2 Build

John,

Look what Pat "Mister Tyco Pro" is making today. I know you're into motors.
John Falzarano

#13 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

I got to see one of the Dynamic Dyna-Brutes today what a nice pice, I wanted to buy it after taking a close look at it.

The $300 price made me pass on it but I sure liked it.
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#14 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:17 AM

Hey, thanks for the link, John... VERY cool!

-john
John Havlicek

#15 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

Boy, there's a lot of crazy-cool cars in the above...but it got me to wondering. It doesn't seem like it should be all that hard to make a screamer of a motor for these things (with the right parts)...but how in god's name do you keep the things on the track without the crutch, er...I mean "aid" of other devices like magnets and such????

-john

John,

Per the rules of the class and the technology of the time, the same things that keep Retro cars on the track...a chassis with the proper main rail spring connecting the back (motor/rear axle bracket) to the front (guide pin/front axle bracket) with side pans allowed a certain motion (bat pans or shaker). I used bat pans on a plumber hinge back in the day.

Once you have the proportions right for the track (guide pin lead from the rear axle, etc.) and the fore-to-aft weight distribution right, these things really do move out on even the older "clickety-clack" T-jet sectional tracks and even better on today's routed large section tracks. I copied those proportions from other people who were successful and made a few lucky guesses on the lead placement and found my cars were competitive, even as a teenager, in the old HOPRA series races.

With today's pinion and crown availability along with the awesome quality of today's silicone skinned sponge tires (in almost any diameter desired), these older cars are a hoot to drive on today's tracks! I think they would work with a lot less bat pan (or shaker) motion than we needed for the old bumpy tracks.

In fact, I was able to use arms that were simply too fast for any track we ran (back in the day) on some of today's tracks when we started a Riggen / Brass Wars class here locally in CO some years back. The Riggens ran pretty well and I discovered that the old .003 phosphorus bronze wiper material that we used was not necessary. I made some pickups out of .0025 brass shim stock and they worked really well (again, on today's nice "rounted" tracks) surviving through practice and a six lane race without wearing through. The thinner material provided great contact and driveability without the pickups trying to bounce the car out of the slot.

The new motors that Pat Dennis has been working on are really cool but I have to believe it is a pretty limited market...which means they will likely be pretty expensive. They do offer a nice, tidy package and the sidewinder concept is intriguing. But I doubt that it will be faster than the motors currently available just because there have been decades of ongoing development.

I heard a story from my good friend, Nelson Swanberg (a Doug Morris "hired gun" driver for the latest MI gravity race) that one fellow is making HO cars powered by a digital camera lens focus motor and it ran quite well.

These old "gravity" cars maintain the things that I enjoyed about racing - scratch building and the challenge of driving them fast. The magnet cars just don't do it for me and never have.

Keep it in the slot,

AJ

During my six years of Retro racing, my aspiration to be a mediocre racer has come and gone; my peers now assure me I have peaked (some time ago)!

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Home of the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#16 Charlie Benson

Charlie Benson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

Does anyone have a copy of the "original" HOPRA rules from the '70s?

I've tried briefly to look through my Car Model magazine collections, but didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Charlie Benson - Central Ohio

#17 Pat McGee

Pat McGee

Representative for the Guild of Calamitous Intent

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:52 AM

Charlie, the earliest HOPRA rules I've seen archived are from the late '70's when it was already all about the magnets, should be posted here on slotblog somewhere. The BRASCAR rules (still a bit of a work in progress, and in the spirit of HO racing 1970-73) are at www.brascar.org . Additions and improvements coming to that site soon!
What's all this brouhaha?

I'm told I have a face for radio and a voice that belongs in the newspaper...

Follow me for fun! Go slot car racing!

#18 Charlie Benson

Charlie Benson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Pat,

I checked out the BrasCar site and looked at the rules. Seems the other "features" aren't active at this time, so I'll check back later.

I never had/raced a brass car, other than an TycoPro, but they have always picked my interest since reading about them online. I would like to build and have a race with these cars, so that why I'm researching them. I race with the Central ohio HO Racing Association and our two main classes are T-jet based - stock and superstock ECCHOR rule cars. here's a link to my latest track - a 6-lane TKO.

http://web.me.com/ho...Racer/Home.html

I'll do some more searching for the HOPRA rules and keep checking back here.

Thanks again, Charlie

Charlie, the earliest HOPRA rules I've seen archived are from the late '70's when it was already all about the magnets, should be posted here on slotblog somewhere. The BRASCAR rules (still a bit of a work in progress, and in the spirit of HO racing 1970-73) are at www.brascar.org . Additions and improvements coming to that site soon!

#19 Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:17 AM

I made a small motor by cutting down a FF can for a stock tyco arm and a slottech panther endbell .I did it this way to use the

wide variety of armature winds . Just cut the magnets to .400 long and cut the can length to match the endbell for correct brush

contact and attach .Goes like stink in a 1/32 formula 1 car with a 2.6 ohm arm .

#20 Slot Car Mods Magazine

Slot Car Mods Magazine

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

Makes me want to dig out the old Dremel and start building...

Ron Todhunter
-----------------------------------------
SLOT CAR MODS MAGAZINE
"Everybody's Slot Car Magazine"
info@slotcarmods.com
-----------------------------------------
signature175_zps5czapfuq.gif

Electric Dreams Online Shop