30 replies to this topic

#1 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

Since it seemed to work so well before and there are probably new folks coming to the R4, I thought I would republish the the famous Tech Tips I wrote for all the big races with some new ones thrown in.

I thought I would pass on some somewhat humorous tips on how to get through tech the first time. The busy schedule and format will need everyone's help to make things go smooth. Take no offense to these (unless you thought you were going to really try and get away with them) because they are just really helpful reminders.

First be nice to Mr. McMasters and his lovely wife Cindy. Get them ticked at ya and you won't even make the tech line.

The Tech Meister has heard all the hair jokes before. If you feel you need to repeat them during your turn on line, that's OK. While listening I'll just pay extra special attention to your car. Heh heh.

Soooo, with that said, here are the Tech Meister's "Top 10 Reasons Why Guys Fail Tech".

1. Rear Clearance: It all the way from the rear of the car to the motor bracket. Go ahead and run that 29 tooth crown with minimum diameter rears... it doesn't usually work. And don't try and sand the thing in the GTC or Stock Car Classes.

2. Body too thin: Yeah, it has to be .007" on the complete side especially between the wheel arches. .010 for Stockcars. The "Spirit Gauge" doesn't lie. Remember the rules also state a detriment to marshaling. If I pick the car up and the thing slops to one side I will just smile and hand your car back. Besides one good marshaling job and, trust me, the body is history.

3. Rear Spoiler: One piece. One bend and 1/2 inch from the rear edge of the body. Get all angular and Tech Meister Shears will be on hand to carve those suckers down if necessary. We aren't waiting for you to get in line again. Note the updated announcement on spoilers showing where they can be trimmed.

4. Front grill area: 1/8" on F1s and 1/16" on all others (except Ti22s).

5. Body Height: 1.375" means 1.375". Especially a concern to those running O/S and JK Ti22s and Chevron GTs. You guys raise a red flag for this measurement.

6. Front Track Width: The Cukras Slop is cool but make sure that when we push those fronts outward they still meet the required spec. And oh yeah, your stoppers are part of the width measurement so no Ben Hur Chariot Cutters.

7. Fully Cut-Out Interior Area: We didn't run planes in the '60s and the cockpits were all open. So no cutting them out so just a driver's head sticks out. While you're at it, use at least three different Sharpies on those interiors to at least make them look like a driver.

8. Windows: A tutorial was already given on Ti22 windows. They are clear. Just because JK didn't have the fancy window line doesn't mean it didn't have a window. Those bodies used in GTC that have rear windows must be painted or covered.

9. Guide Flag Showing Up Front: Yeah, so the body you decided to run doesn't cover the guide. Oh well... remount it then. Next time fit the chassis to the body. Those running Red Fox or JK Advanced guides usually have a problem in this area.

10. Tape/Lead: Topside. Topside. Topside. Not underneath. It doesn't say underside. Those with fancy stickers proclaiming their companies, their greatness, or something else should remember they better not hang below plane of the main rails.

And a 10A:
We are running Stock Cars not modifieds. The wheel arches must be trimmed to the marked line on the body and no higher. Also, remember I do look for a molded door line and not one that was painted after you slammed the body.

For those that really don't desire to have a good time, then these will get you home early:

1. Conduct unbecoming a grown adult playing with toy cars.

2. The attempted use of Speed rubber.

3. The attempted use of glue or your spit on the tires before you put your car on the track.

4. Not using the official lighter fluid during the race and being caught on the webcam using your own little bottle of something.

And some other info...

Questions have been posed that I will just answer as follows:

1. No, you will not pass tech by distracting the tech inspector with the Hooter's girl personally delivering a Blue Moon draft to the tech table.

2. Saying "Isn't it close enough" gets you nowhere.

3. Don't even think of asking for the calibration certificate on any tools used for tech. You will be asked to provide same when the car is teched with your McDonald's ruler.

4. I'm sorry your kids would not let you on the computer so you could read the rules and the updates.

5. There is no special plaque for the guy/person that fails tech the most times.

6. No, you do not have to thank the tech inspector for passing you through tech. We will thank you for passing because you get it and you want to get to the Holiday Inn as quickly as possible!

For the latest decisions on the rulings you should go here:

IRRA Decisions

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#2 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

4. Not using the official lighter fluid during the race and being caught on the webcam using your own little bottle of something.

It seems this was noticed at last weeks ORS race. :rolleyes: That camera at Tom Thumb is pretty defined and wide angle.

Seems some forgot they were on camera last week and got busted by the audience as I fielded several phone calls about the incident the past two days.

So name(s) are being with held for the time being... but remember... "Big Brother(s)" out there are and will be watching at the R4.

If we get any phone calls or texts during the R4... remember all is being recorded and can be played back if the question arises. ;)

Hopefully the person who was caught on cam will be reading this and will "get the drift". ;)

#3 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

no Ben Hur Chariot Cutters.

:shok:

Posted Image

Philippe de Lespinay

#4 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

5. There is no special plaque for the guy person that fails tech the most times.

Just ask Lou Cicconi. :laugh2: Although Mark Kitto made a run at the record, too.
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#5 Hipsticker

Hipsticker

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

Since I emailed Noose and asked about these wheel wells, I will post them for those who don't know THESE ARE ILLEGAL... they're cut too much. If you have one that looks like this, do as I am and paint another.

Noose did lend a tip... the nose should have 3/16" of grill and trim right side first, this helped and mine are good now... can't go much above that body line or the back will be too high also.

Maybe this will save anguish in Columbus when he says: "TECH NAZI SAYS NO RACE FOR YOU... YOU CUT TOO MUCH... YOU GO NOW... LOL."

Attached Images

• to noose1.JPG
  • to noose2.JPG

Gary E. Culy

#6 Mr. Frank

Mr. Frank

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

I like # 7 ... three different sharpies... ;) Hope that means three colors of sharpies and not three thicknesses of them. :laugh2:

Frank Elavsky
5/20/60-2/9/12
Requiescat in Pace

#7 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

You have no idea how much I wanted to leave the "glass" area painted on the R4 shirt! :D

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#8 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

Good one, Mike. Hope to see you there!

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#9 Jacob Shiplet

Jacob Shiplet

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

Ron has to buy some more Sharpies.
Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

#10 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

It seems this was noticed at last weeks ORS race. That camera at Tom Thumb is pretty defined and wide angle.

Seems some forgot they were on camera last week and got busted by the audience as I fielded several phone calls about the incident the past two days.

So name(s) are being with held for the time being... but remember... "Big Brother(s)" out there are and will be watching at the R4.

If we get any phone calls or texts during the R4... remember all is being recorded and can be played back if the question arises.

Hopefully the person who was caught on cam will be reading this and will "get the drift".

LOL. Anyone care to confess? Hopefully it was one of my tire tractions... Any publicity is good publicity.

"Zip grip, works so good not even 20,000 people watching me on the internet could deter me from using it." LOL...

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#11 One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Remember all is being recorded and can be played back.

1 hour 40 minutes and 20 seconds.

Sorry, Tony P. it wasn't Zip Grip! ;)

Slots-4-Ever
Brian McPherson

REM Raceway

"We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having FUN!"

#12 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

And it wasn't "approved" tire cleaner, was it??? ;) :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

#13 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

Just another friendly public service reminder.;)

Bodies must be presentably-painted etc.

Please make an attempt to paint the body without making it look like you used the body as a Kleenex.

Stock Cars have numbers on both sides and the roof. Not the hood or the rear deck.

Opaque means that. The test will be to see if I can read this rule through the paint job.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#14 One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

And it wasn't "approved" tire cleaner, was it??? ;) :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

It was in a yellow bottle, but the red rag is not approved for Penn/Ohio; we use Dan's old tighty whities! :laugh2: :laugh2:

Slots-4-Ever
Brian McPherson

REM Raceway

"We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having FUN!"

#15 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

NO red rags in ORS either... if the yellow bottle was not used by the controller panel or race directors stand (where the "offical" yellow bottles live) then it wasn't "approved" cleaner. ;)

#16 Lucky Me

Lucky Me

Rick Maynard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

Just another friendly public service reminder.;)

Bodies must be presentably-painted etc.

Please make an attempt to paint the body without making it look like you used the body as a Kleenex.

Stockcars have numbers on both sides and the roof. Not the hood or the rear deck.

Opaque means that. The test will be to see if I can read this rule through the paint job.

Crap! There goes my Kleenex idea. :laugh2:
Rick Maynard
Build it, Race it, Break it, Fix it !

Don't Outsmart Common Sense !

#17 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

Are "snot" jobs allowed? :laugh2: :laugh2:

#18 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

For Penn/Ohio, we use Dan's old tighty whities! :laugh2: :laugh2:

Yeah but one chili dinner and they are baggie brownies! :o
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#19 MantaRay

MantaRay

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

Yo, Ron...

Any tips for trimming your New Ferrari 712? (I think that is what it is.) The one with the little kicker in the back... I can see a cut line in the front. Do you mark about 1.325" in the rear and cut to that?
Ray Price
11/4/49-1/23/15
Requiescat in Pace

#20 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

Ray Ray, sorry to break up the flow, but I must say, Noose is the tech master of the best racing association, and some of us out here in cyberland are very serious about this.

Ron, it's easy for you to fun around, you have a "Rande" working for you. Others don't.
Good rules make for good racing, and good enforcement makes it all happen.

Let's not cheapen the basis of success for IRRA™. Noose sets the example for every mom and pop slot raceway in the world. To be treated fairly is all a slot racer wants.

So many people ask so many questions that are answered in the rules. If we had more tech guys like Noose, racers would be more self-sufficient.

Thank you.

PS: As far as humor goes, I really like Hershman's R4 warm-up race F1 Sharpie driver. :D

Paul Wolcott

#21 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

At least he was smiling. ;) :) He must have been humored, too. LOL.

#22 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

Any tips for trimming your New Ferrari 712? (I think that is what it is.) The one with the little kicker in the back... I can see a cut line in the front. Do you mark about 1.325" in the rear and cut to that?

Not if you are using a body mounting block. That would cause it to be higher when it was mounted.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#23 MantaRay

MantaRay

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

Noose, I was figuring in the .050" clearance to get the total 1.375".
Ray Price
11/4/49-1/23/15
Requiescat in Pace

#24 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

I don't get it, the kid in CO went to jail for this, now Ron H. does it and wins a race? :laugh2:

Stick figures: are they cool, or a speed secret? :crazy:

hershman concours feb 2011.jpg

Paul Wolcott

#25 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

Pablo, some people never learn. LOL. He gives all us one color rattle can body painters a bad name... Wait till Ron tries to tech that body in.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop