• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Myers

Dan Myers

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:16 AM

Time for exciting race #7 and the Stock Car classes final run on a roadcourse for 2010-11.
Dan "Cable Guy" Myers II

Some day this will be fun again. Right???

#2 Dan Myers

Dan Myers

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

I think there was one word to describe yesterday. "WOW"!

A huge thank you Ray first off, then to Renee's stand in at the sign in desk Brian McPherson, who sacrificed all his practice time to allow me to get a little before the tech bench opened up.

Only one small hiccup in the first race where "YO" setup the Stockcars for 3 minute heats. But we quickly rebounded from that and got the show rolling seamlessly.

A big thanks to Rick Bennardo for the new Stockcar he sent up for testing and it drove well.

87 entries that broke down as follows:

14 Stockcars
28 Can-Ams
24 Penn-Ohio F-1's
21 Flexi GT's

The info and results are being sent to Larry Mattingly(who unfortunately had something come up last minute) for a full race report to follow, many surprises so stay tuned.

Again, thank you to the racers and the raceways for all that you do to make this series so much fun.
Dan "Cable Guy" Myers II

#3 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,051 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

who sacrificed all his practice time to allow me to get a little before the tech bench opened up.

Good job.... but what was you allowed to get???? A little "track practice" or a little "something else" before tech? ;) LOL

#4 Dan Myers

Dan Myers

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

I had that brand new Stockcar to try and tune. A little difficult when you haven't driven one at all. Posted Image

And no my worthless normal assistant had some BS excuse why shouldn't couldn't be there.
Dan "Cable Guy" Myers II

#5 Dennis Krivacek

Dennis Krivacek

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

Good job.... but what was you allowed to get???? A little "track practice" or a little "something else" before tech? ;) LOL

LOL Ron you were all over that post. Dan should be so lucky.

#6 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

Quick Results from Race #7 3/26/11... REM Raceway. Mentor, OH (155' Ogilvie Hillclimb)

Full story by the middle of the week.

28-racers ... 87 entries over four classes

STOCK CAR

1. Tom Lauterbach
2. Jeff Lauterbach
3. Jim Torre
4. Frank Elavsky
5. Dan Swalius

CAN-AM

1. Tom Lauterbach
2. Jeff Lauterbach
3. Brian McPherson
4. Frank Elavsky
5. Jim Torre

PENN-OHIO FORMULA ONE

1. Steve Koepp
2. Cap Henry
3. Tom Lauterbach
4. Steve Ploskunak
5. Jeff Lauterbach

FLEXI-GT

1. Tom Lauterbach
2. Jeff Lauterbach
3. Steve Koepp
4. Brian McPherson
5. Frank Elavsky

#7 Mr. Frank

Mr. Frank

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:31 AM

HAD A BLAST....:unsure: Some very good racen at R E M... Big thanks go out to RAY & BRIAN......:thank_you2: THANKS GUYS...
Stock cars on the roadcourse was fun, lots of crashen, but FUN. Food was GREAT....MMMMMM....Cchicken was fan- tas- tic..
See you all at the last race at B C R... Can't wait to get on that oval...

YO... Don't forget the CUC ENDURO this sunday...
Doors open at 10 am sharp..

Mr. Frank

Frank Elavsky
5/20/60-2/9/12
Requiescat in Pace

#8 One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

Thank You, so much everyone for making the trip to REM Raceway.

major FUN was had by all! the Fun meter was surely pegged through out the day.

Congrats to all the winners! and display the box plaques well in your slotbox.

Also, want to Thank Parma Interntional's Mike McDowel and Steve Koepp for the turn marshalling pads,and stickers.
Steve done very well for his first time racing retro cars, I think we have him hooked ;)

AND, I Finally got my picture with Tom and Jeff!! :yahoo:

Slots-4-Ever
Brian McPherson

REM Raceway

"We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having FUN!"

#9 Captain

Captain

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

Just want to thank Brian and Ray. You guys did a GREAT job throughout the day. Had tons of fun as usual. Ray may have found a new bff in Aaron. He kept saying how nice he was...... thanks.

Congrats Brian on your podium in the can am race. I was only able to beat you in 1 class so I will retreat back to my corner and hang my head in shame until the next race... Posted Image

It was nice to see and meet some new faces.... seems everyone was named Steve or Dan. Hope to see you all at Bristolville next month.

Later................... STEVE
Steve Ploskunak

#10 One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

I was only able to beat you in 1 class

Yea, but that loaner car program car beat ya! and me too! :laugh2:

Slots-4-Ever
Brian McPherson

REM Raceway

#11 Mad Mexican

Mad Mexican

Safer Barrier Tester!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

Amigos,

Had a great time at Rem Raceway. Again Brian and Ray I thank you for bringing a track back up in N.E. Ohio.
Yes the loaner Bug got me too!. But I was very proud to see a Mad Mexican Racing Machine in 5th place in Can Am Driven by OCC Racer Jim Torre. ( I think we got him HOOK!). Heat Two of Cam Am everyone was commenting on how quiet the Racers were compare to Heat one. It was a tight one between Denny Krivacek, Steve Koepp and myself only three laps separated us! It was intense! Also I was proud to lend Steve Koepp a retro body for retro flexi he did it proud finishing third in that class. Again I would like to thank everyone involved it was a great of racing, great food, and hanging out among friends.

Adios Amigos
Javier Zavala
In loving memory of my mother Francisca Escalante Zavala
March 24, 1927 - April 5, 2011
Vaya Con Dios

#12 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

Was great racing with the Penn-Ohio Gang again, wish I could have made more races.

#13 cheeseman

cheeseman

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

Thank you Ray and Brian for a great day of racing and all the good food. I really enjoyed the day and how smooth the racing program went . Great job guys. Dave (cheeseman) Bille
Dave Bille

#14 Dan Myers

Dan Myers

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

PENN-OHIO RETRO SERIES … RACE REPORT #7

SOMETHING OLD… SOMETHING NEW… AND, A FEW SURPRISES ATREM RACEWAY

The penultimate race number seven of the 2010-11 PENN-OHIORETRO SERIES

(P-O) Race on the schedule took place Sat. March 26 at Brian McPherson and Ray E. McGlone's REM Raceway, located in Mentor, Ohio. The event featured an 'old friend' in a new venue… the super smooth and fast 155' Ogilvie Hill Climb that was formerly located at Brian Cox's Fatboy's Raceway in Mansfield, Ohio, and drew another outstanding field… 28-racers, and 87 total entries over the four P-O classes.

STOCK CAR

For only the second time in P-O history the Stock Car class race was conducted on a road course, and a strong 14-driver entry list necessitated two features. Tom Lauterbach had the hot hand in the first heat, easily pulling away from his son, Jeff, by a seven-lap margin to garner the top spot. Local racer Jim (J.T.) Torre raised some eyebrows when he cruised to a solid third place finish over fellow REM regular Dan Swalius. Dan Forbush, Dan Ebert and Aaron Ploskunak trailed. T. Lauterbach also set fast time honors as he was the only competitor to crack the six second barrier with a lap of 5.976.

Frank Elavsky was the story in the second heat winning easily over Brian McPherson , who edged Steve Ploskunak by five track sections for second. Dan Myers made his Stock Car debut, registering a competitive fourth place finish in front of Greg Kurnal, Lester Lucas, and Jeff Little, who was forced to retire early.

T. Lauterbach took the overall victory, holding off J. Lauterbach, Torre, Elavsky, Swalius, McPherson, Ploskunak, Forbush, Myers and Ebert.

The top-three in Stock Car Concours were Torre, Kurnal and Little.

CAN-AM

With 28 Can-Am racers in the building, three round-robin heats were necessary to determine the winners. In heat one Brian McPherson used the knowledge of his home track to good advantage, pulling out a two-lap win over the always strong Frank Elavsky. 'Farmer' Dan Forbush and 'Captain' Steve Ploskunak had their own battle for third, with Farmer Dan holding on for the position. Dan Myers was fifth, followed by newcomer Steve Merker, Rob Garner, Dave Bille, Bryan Gum and Greg Kurnal..

The second heat found Pa Posse member Dennis Krivacek holding off Jay Sabala and veteran Parma factory team racer Steve Koepp for the win. Leroy Moyer had a great run for fourth, finishing in front of Ron Culp, Dan Swalius, Matt Nulph, Tony Rickard and Jeff Little.

Heat three found Tom Lauterbach again out distancing son, Jeff, who in turn out raced Jim Torre, Cap Henry, who fell back due to a broken wire in his controller, Dan Ebert, Lester Lucas, Jim Applequist, Aaron Ploskunak, and Any Buczko. Jeff Lauterbach did manage to set fast time in the race with a mark of 5.209.

In the overall run down it was T. Lauterbach, J. Lauterbach,McPherson, Elavsky, Torre, Krivacek, Sabala, Forbush, Henry and Koepp.

Concours awards went to Koepp, Elavsky, and Little.

PENN-OHIO FORMULA ONE

Another three-heat main was required in the P-O F1 clash, when 24 entries answered the bell. The first heat produced the first 'surprise' aka 'upset' of the day when Michigan Retro regular Cap Henry defeated P-O kingpin Tom Lauterbach by two laps for the win. Steve Ploskunak prevailed for third, besting Jay Sabala, Dennis Krivacek, Bryan Gum, Greg Kurnal and Jim Applequist. Lauterbach did manage to salvage fastest race lap honors with a clocking of 5.269.

The second surprise of the afternoon came in the second heat when Steve Koepp blazed to a big win over Jeff Lauterbach and Brian McPherson driving a car powered by a Falcon 7 motor. Dan Myers was fourth, ahead of Dave Bille, Rob Garner, Matt Nulph and Steve Merker.

Heat three found Frank Elavsky holding off Leroy Moyer, who registered another great finish and Dan Ebert. Rounding out the pack was: Lester Lucas, Ron Culp, Aaron Ploskunak, Tony Rickard and Jeff Little, who had another disappointing DNF.

Koepp nipped Henry for the overall victory by only six track sections. T. Lauterbach grabbed the other podium spot, while S. Ploskunak, J. Lauterbach, McPherson, Elavsky, Myers, Moyer and Ebert rounded out the top-10.

Steve Ploskunak took F1 concourse over Dan Myers and Dave Bille.

FLEXI-GT

A 21-car field and two round-robin heats set the Flexi-GT nightcap. Jeff Lauterbach was the man to beat in the first heat, as he drove away from Steve Koepp by four laps, and set fast time of 5.048 for good measure. Dan Ebert nailed down third, in front of: Rob Garner, Ron Culp, Dave Bille, Lester Lucas, Aaron Ploskunak, Dan Swalius, Matt Nulph and Leroy Moyer who exited early.

Tom Lauterbach was the winner of heat two, however, there was a real dog fight going on behind him, as Brian McPherson claimed second by lap sections over Frank Elavsky, while Steve Ploskunak nipped Dan Myers and Dennis Krivacek for fourth in another close finish. Tony Rickard was awarded seventh, only three laps back, while Steve Merker, Jim Applequist and Andy Buczko took the final three slots.

The final results saw T. Lauterbach picking off his third win of the day over J. Lauterbach, Koepp, McPherson, Elavsky, Ebert, S.Ploskunak, Myers, Krivacek, and Rickard.

Flexi-GT concourse awards were taken by Krivacek, A.Ploskunak and Moyer.

REM RACEWAY… RACE # 7… RACE RESULTS

STOCK CAR

1. Tom Lauterbach 152

2. Jeff Lauterbach 145

3. JimTorre 140.13

4, Frank Elavsky 140.8

5. Dan Swalius 134

6. Brian McPherson 132.11

7. Steve Ploskunak 132.8

8. Dan Forbush 130

9. Dan Myers 129

10. Dan Ebert 125

11. Aaron Ploskunak 118

12. Greg Kurnal 101.12

13. Lester Lucas 101.10

14. Jeff Little 62

CAN-AM

1. Tom Lauterbach 254

2, JeffLauterbach 252

3. Brian McPherson 247

4. Frank Elavsky 245

5. Jim Torre 244

6. Dennis Krivacek 243

7. Jay Sabala 241

8. Dan Forbush 239.17

9. Cap Henry 239.12

10. Steve Koepp 239.11

11. Steve Ploskunak 237

12. Dan Myers 233

13. Steve Merker 232

14. Rob Garner 228

15. Leroy Moyer 225

16. Dave Bille 220

17. Dan Ebert 219

18. Ron Culp 218

19. Dan Swalius 215

20. Lester Lucas 209

21. Bryan Gum 205

22. Jim Applequist 204

23. Matt Nulph 203.13

24. Aaron Ploskunak 203.12

25. Tony Rickard 194

26. Greg Kurnal 190

27. Jeff Little 179

28. Andy Buczko 124

PENN-OHIO FORMULA ONE

1. Steve Koepp 253.12

2. Cap Henry 253.6

3. Tom Lauterbach 251

4. Steve Ploskunak 239

5. Jeff Lauterbach 238

6. Brian McPherson 233.5

7. Frank Elavsky 233.2

8. Dan Myers 227

9. Leroy Moyer 226

10. Dan Ebert 223

11. Jay Sabala 221

12. Dennis Krivacek 220

13. Bryan Gum 216.15

14. Lester Lucas 216.11

15. Dave Bille 213

16. Greg Kurnal 211

17. Ron Culp 209

18. Aaron Ploskunak 208

19. Rob Garner 199

20. Tony Rickard 197

21. Matt Nulph 191

22. Jim Applequest 113

23. Steve Merker 63

24. Jeff Little 26

FLEXI-GT

1. Tom Lauterbach 178

2. Jeff Lauterbach 176

3. Steve Koepp 172

4. Brian McPherson 167.18

5. Frank Elavsky 167.14

6. Dan Ebert 166.13

7. Steve Ploskunak 166.11

8. Dan Myers 165.24

9. Dennis Krivacek 165.15

10. Tony Rickard 162

11. Rob Garner 160

12. Ron Culp 158

13. Dave Bille 154

14. Lester Lucas 151

15. Aaron Ploskunak 150.23

16. Dan Swalius 150.14

17. Steve Merker 148

18. Matt Nulph 136

19. Jim Applequist 134

20. Andy Buczko 121

21. Leroy Moyer 88

REM RACE NOTES…

Apology… A bad cold prevented me from attending the REM event, and delayed the posting of the results story and newsletter. Since I wasn't at the race the 'notes' section is also on the light side.

…Congrats to REM's Brian McPherson and Ray McGlone for hosting a successful race in their P-O debut. Despite some pre-race worries concerning pit space requirements, Brian and Ray did some rearranging and can now accommodate 40 plus racers.

… While we weren't there, all reports indicate that lunch was great, with pizza and chicken tenders on the menu. No mention of any pork, but Brian McPherson reported that Frank Elavsky 'ate the pig'. Inside joke?

… Several new racers made their Retro debut at REM, including track regulars Steve Merker, Dan Swalius and Jim (J.T.) Torre, who nailed down a third and fifth in his first outing.

… The performance of Steve Koepp was the story of the day. The long time Parma team driver has been absent from the slot racing scene the past two years, but made a triumphant return in his first Retro race by winning the P-O F1 contest and making the podium in Flexi-GT. Steve had contacted Rande Marshall about building him some cars, but ended up running his own creations at REM. His winning F1 mount utilized an R-Geo nose piece, along with a Falcon 7 motor.

… Rain and snow canceled the sprint car action at the Attica(OH) Raceway over the weekend, permitting Cap Henry to make his first P-O race of the year. Cap is an accomplished 1:1 open wheel competitor, and was rookie-of-the-year last season on the All Star Circuit of Champions tour. Cap also brought along HMS Speedway racer Bryan Gum.

… Ron Culp graciously filled-in as race director permitting Brian McPherson to race in all four classes.

… Parma Int. President Mike McDowell was an interested spectator and passed out some 'kneelers' for the P-O track owners to take back home.

… If you think that Dan 'Cable Guy' Myers confuses folks now, just wait until next year. Dan tips that his father and son may well start to race in the P-O Series. Why is that confusing you ask? The elder Myers is Dan I, Cable Guy is Dan II, and his son is Dan III.

… It has been decided that the REM race will become the automatic track records for the 155' Ogilvie layout, supper ceding any previous marks established when the track was located at the former Fat Boy's Raceway.

STOCK CAR

One Lap… 5.97 (TomLauterbach)

Total … 152 (TomLauterbach)

CAN-AM

One Lap … 5.20 (JeffLauterbach)

Total … 254 (Tom Lauterbach

P-O FORMULA ONE

One Lap … 5.26 (TomLauterbach)

Total … 253.12 (SteveKoepp)

FLEXI-GT

One Lap … 5.04 (JeffLauterbach)

Total … 178 (TomLauterbach)

… Congratulations to all of the P-O regulars who participated in the recent R4 event at Tom Thumb Hobbies in Columbus, Ohio. Representing the P-O were: Tom and Jeff Lauterbach, Brian McPherson, Steve Ploskunak, Dan Myers, Rick Bennardo and Larry Mattingly. And a big tip of the hat to Tom Lauterbach, who won the Retro GT hand out motor race, and captured podium finishes in F1 and Can-Am.

… P-O photographer Renee' Myers was MIA again, as she was busy moving her grand-mother back to Ohio from Florida. Dan, ahem, attempted to fill-in for her.

… NEXT RACE … Sat. April 23, Bristolville Center Raceway, Bristolville, Ohio. Don't miss the season finale and awards celebration. Leroy Moyer is promising a veritable feast.

Dan "Cable Guy" Myers II

#15 One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

No mention of any pork, but Brian McPherson reported that Frank Elavsky 'ate the pig'.

:shok: Momma would have his BUTT If he ATE the pig~! :laugh2:

I'll let you guys in on it(inside joke) Momma aka Debbie (Frank's wife) has a tame, pet pot bellied pig.
When it first arrived at it's new home, apperantly Frank decided to use his foot one day to move the pig out of the way. (Not too harm the Pig) AND! from then on every time the little pig sees any black shoes or boots,it squeels and runs away and Momma says to Frank "YOU better not be kicking the pig"
So,as it stands between Momma and Frank whenever Frank does something wrong while racing slots, Momma deducts Frank laps for 'kicking the pig' :D

On April fools day,I heard they were going to create a crimes scene in the driveway,and hide the pig,so at supper time pork chops and ham were to be served for dinner! :laugh2:

Not sure if they wanted to mess with Momma like that or not? She would have had them!

Thanks, Larry for the report. Hope your over that nasty cold and not feeling well? I've been told the best cure for something like this is to go out and play with little toy cars with your Friends and you forget all about feeling bad. ;)

Slots-4-Ever
Brian McPherson

REM Raceway

#16 Mr. Frank

Mr. Frank

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

I SWARE !!!! :laugh2: I never kicked the pig or ate it......;) It just don't like me...:wacko:

DAMN PIG !!!!:mad:

Mr. Frank

Frank Elavsky
5/20/60-2/9/12
Requiescat in Pace

#17 One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

Yo' your starting to squeel like a pig defending what you've done! :laugh2:

Slots-4-Ever
Brian McPherson

REM Raceway

#18 Mr. Frank

Mr. Frank

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:47 AM

O K .... But, I SWARE.... :angry: I never kicked the pig.... HONEST ..

Mr. Frank

Frank Elavsky
5/20/60-2/9/12
Requiescat in Pace

#19 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

I know I wouldn't mess with 'Momma' over no damn pig... :blink:

Surely, 'Yo' Frank is smater than that... :unsure: ;)

The pig doesn't like Frank? Did Momma get the pig from Brian?

And you wonder why this group has sooo much fun... :laugh2:

Feeling better... finally.

LM

#20 Mr. Frank

Mr. Frank

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

NO Larry... Did'nt get the pig from brian , but from that justin kid..:angry:

Mr. Frank

Frank Elavsky
5/20/60-2/9/12
Requiescat in Pace

#21 WSCC

WSCC

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

YO!!!!I'm just going to let it go.

Ron

Ron Culp

psraracing2009

#22 Mr. Frank

Mr. Frank

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

THANK YOU..... Me too..:laugh2:

Frank Elavsky
5/20/60-2/9/12
Requiescat in Pace

#23 One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

Frank,
your kicking the pig out the door to let it go?

I'm telling! :laugh2:

word on the street also is Frank smacked the bird! :laugh2:

Slots-4-Ever
Brian McPherson

REM Raceway

#24 willy wonka

willy wonka

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

wow momma is gonna be deducting laps im sure of it :laugh2: :laugh2: good thing for me and frank she didnt during the enduro
William Custer
To finish First you must first Finish

#25 momma

momma

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:38 AM

The famous Penny !!! :D :D and correction it was from Christina :)

Attached Images

• Penny the potbelly pig.jpg
  • Penny 2011 (2).jpg
  • Penny 2011.jpg
  • Tony with Penny 1.jpg

Debbie Baldwin-Elavsky
"momma"
Route 93 Raceway & Hobbies

Electric Dreams Online Shop