• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy Thompson

Tommy Thompson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:43 PM

Hey, anybody got good info on how to build a custom controller? With resistors and brake potentiometer?Maybe from a low budget Parma or something? Thanks

#2 Johnny

Johnny

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:21 AM

Take a look at this:
http://www.abslotsport.com/page64.html
Best Regards,

Johnny Andersen
Oslo - Norway
Asker Mini Racing Club

#3 split

split

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:39 AM

Hiya
I come from New Zealand.we all used to build our own controllers as getting parts way down here was difficult and expensive.After years of building them (usually worked really well) we found it was just easier and cheaper in the long run to buy one.I think the best value for money is the carsteen as you can race most types of car with these.

Regards Split
Paul Heath

#4 Johnny

Johnny

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:06 AM

Hiya
After years of building them (usually worked really well) we found it was just easier and cheaper in the long run to buy one.

Regards Split

Hi Split,
I'll agree with You up to a certain point. I'm left handed, and as far as I know there is only one Controller that You can get
ready made. All others that I know of, need modifications. I did use a custom made Carsteen, but that's sadly broken at this moment. I will this summer, order me a new one, ready made for left hand use.

I have build a couple over the years (modified for left hand) ,and for the most part they worked very well.
Best Regards,

Johnny Andersen
Oslo - Norway
Asker Mini Racing Club

#5 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:04 AM

I have a diagram from about 20 years ago for building a controller box for HO cars, if that might be of interest. No electronics, gives variable brake or coast, adustable ohmage, and choke for limiting top end power. If intereted I can send you a copy. This is for HO cars only and it's old school technology.

#6 Marty Stanley

Marty Stanley

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:15 AM

Tommy,

If I were going to do this - oh wait, I've already done this - the solution is simple.

Just click on this link and then select the "1/24 conversion modules" option on the left side of the screen. It will take you to the DiFalco engineering page that has a list of all their conversion parts to take a basic Parma Turbo controller up to any level you want.

I built one almost 5 years ago and still have it as backup today.
Marty Stanley aka Florida Slotter
"A Double '60s Slot Racer"
I raced then and am 60 now!
The Raceway - Team Racer

#7 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

Tommy,

If I were going to do this - oh wait, I've already done this - the solution is simple.

Just click on this link and then select the "1/24 conversion modules" option on the left side of the screen. It will take you to the DiFalco engineering page that has a list of all their conversion parts to take a basic Parma Turbo controller up to any level you want.

I built one almost 5 years ago and still have it as backup today.

I wonder how easy it is to mount the pots on the other side of the board? Or if Jim will build a board with the pots on the other side?

Rotor

Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#8 Marty Stanley

Marty Stanley

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

I wonder how easy it is to mount the pots on the other side of the board? Or if Jim will build a board with the pots on the other side?

Rotor

Jeff,

The brake is a snap to do. It is wired to the brake circuit. Just unsolder the wires and flip the brake pot around.

The sensitivity pot would present more of a challenge, but not one that is impossible. You would have to run wires from two 'pads' on the board to the pot as the wires would have to go around the board.
Marty Stanley aka Florida Slotter
"A Double '60s Slot Racer"
I raced then and am 60 now!
The Raceway - Team Racer

#9 Jeff Buyer

Jeff Buyer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

Hey, anybody got good info on how to build a custom controller? With resistors and brake potentiometer?Maybe from a low budget Parma or something? Thanks

JayGee Racing offers a free download of a simple schematic for building your own electronic controller. It works well for Falcons and 16D motors and is a decent controller for home track racing. I built several for my home track. The parts were less than $30 plus the doner controller.

Click Here
Jeff Buyer
Zombie Speedway East

#10 Johnny

Johnny

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Rotor,
Here's a picture of mine. I drilled two small holes for the pot contact and a small bit of cable (from the sense pot) to go through the pcb. (the third pot/switch is for a choke I'm working on...)
Posted Image
Best Regards,

Johnny Andersen
Oslo - Norway
Asker Mini Racing Club

#11 Tommy Thompson

Tommy Thompson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I searched all over the internet but one guy can only find so many websites! I like the DIY stuff. I think thats what attracts me to slot cars.Thanks a bunch........Tom

#12 James Robertson

James Robertson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:16 AM

Here is one of my controller build thread - and links to the original post that includes the wiring diagrams.

Hope its of use!

My link

#13 ropon

ropon

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:20 PM

I have a diagram from about 20 years ago for building a controller box for HO cars, if that might be of interest. No electronics, gives variable brake or coast, adustable ohmage, and choke for limiting top end power. If intereted I can send you a copy. This is for HO cars only and it's old school technology.

Was this the Black Box that Jim Sharf submitted to the old Car Model Magazine? I had one but have since stripped it apart. I'd like to rebuild it to see if it would still be something of use.
Ron Vincek

#14 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

I don't know what the original origins were, I think I got the info from one of the magazines that BSRT used to put out many years ago.

Electric Dreams Online Shop