• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy Thompson

Tommy Thompson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:46 PM

Hey, can you run a four lane 1/32-1/24 track off of deepcycle batteries? If so, how many would batteries would you need? Thanks

#2 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:23 AM

Depending on the cars being run, the capacity of the battery, and the type of charger, I'd say a bank of 1 to 4 batteries would be fine.

Rotor

Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#3 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:24 AM

Sure
I have 3 golf cart batteries under my 4 lane HO track. We race NEO cars with 34 wire and 52 level downforce mags.
I think 2 golf cart batteries will be fine for you with 31 guage wire motors
Or maybe a yellow top Ultima? Or check the boat supply store for something on sale.
Good Luck
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#4 JBriggsK9

JBriggsK9

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

Tommy

For years I ran my 60 foot 4 lane routed track on 1 deep cycle battery with no problems, and we ran anything from 16d motors to the S-can motors that come in todays cars..
But with the cost of the batteries and having to replace them every 4 years, it would be cheaper in the long run to got with a Variable power supply. And if you have kids or grand children the variable supply is the way to go..

The only other down side to the batteries is you will run at 13 to 14 volts.. And that is way to high for the RTR cars, they should be run at 10 volts to be able to have good control of the cars... (that is for non magnet racing) for magnet cars the batteries work fine..

Chris
Chris Briggs

#5 Jeff Buyer

Jeff Buyer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

I also used a single deep cycle battery to power my three lane home track. It worked well for most motors, but was a pain to keep charged; plus there was always a concern about the danger of over-charging. I now use a variable power supply for my four lane track and find it is much more enjoyable. We can turn the power down to 10 volts and have more control over the cars, plus I can crank it down to 6 volts when my grand daughter want to race with her friends.

#6 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

I,ve had both in the past and agree with the guys above. Years ago I had a 70ft 4 lane flat track that I used 2 deep cycle batterys on.
It worked ok, but it can also be a pain keeping a good charge. Also as mentioned above, you have to run all out all the time power wise. A good power supply is the way to go, and there are many good ones out there that you can buy for not much more than it would cost you for good deep cycle batterys. Plus you'll be able to control the voltage as needed. ;)
Alright, who cut the cheese?

#7 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:06 PM

Try this: http://www.web-troni...dhedudcrep.html
"Whatever..."

#8 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

Try this: http://www.web-troni...dhedudcrep.html

There ya go !! Pretty hard to beat that for the money ;) Heck, you'll pay close to that for one good deep cycle battery.
Another thing that we didn't mention is that if you use battery power, you would also need a good charger, and thats also more money spent.

If your smart, stick with an adjustable power supply like this one. You wont be sorry trust me :)

Pyrimid [ not sure if I spelled that right ] also makes a good power supply that alot of track owners use. Not sure on the exact pricing, but I had looked at them awhile back, and they were reasonable.

Vic
Alright, who cut the cheese?

#9 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

in today's world i do not see any reason for a slot track to use batteries.The only way to have consistent performance is with a power supply.You need a good one with all ac removed but batteries need charging and chargers on while racing which is bad.
Howie Ursaner

#10 Tommy Thompson

Tommy Thompson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

Wow, that power supply is alot more affordable than the ones I was finding. I was just asking about batteries because I have a big deepcycle that I use for a trolling motor on my boat. The battery does not get used enough and I figured I could cycle it on the slot car track! But that supply looks sweet! Thanks for all the help guys!

Electric Dreams Online Shop