• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

Well, here goes! Sometimes the hardest part is just convincing yourself to get started. Here's the rough plan...

Posted Image

I have next to zero space in my classroom for storage, so this track will have to be a unique build. I do have 9' ceilings, so I'm planning on two 4 x 8 sheets of mdf with 1" x 3" framing to keep it thin. Removable side walls are a must, so I'll design something that will allow the students to slip them on and off the track without tools.

Luff's package arrived yesterday with his cool routing fence... so "What am I waiting for?????"

A quick trip to the mega lumber store after work yields two dandy sheets of mdf. It turns out they are 49" wide, and JUST BARELY fit in my car!

See you next post!

Stan
Stan Ferris

#2 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hopefully the lessons learned on my "Student Test Track" build, detailed on another thread here, will come in handy!

First, we need to round the ends, just like on the test track...
Posted Image

Cutting the mdf with a 1/4" bit is smooth and gives a beautiful curve.

Here it is... 4' x 16' foundation...
Posted Image

Man, that 1/32 scale car on the far end looks small!

Now for some trickery. I want these two pieces to slip together and apart, but keep their alignment. So let's ad lib with some mdf scraps left over from the small test track.
At the joint, we'll have alternating tongues that slip into slots on the other side. These tongues will also protect the ends of the track when moving and storing. Here are the pieces laid out...
Posted Image

I'm going to make a sandwich of the long boards and the tongue pieces.

Here they are stacked up...
Posted Image

Let's get to gluing em up... here's hoping I don't mess up and glue one of the tongues on both sides!
Posted Image

Gluing up the bottom pieces...
Posted Image

And now the caps...
Posted Image

It's getting dark! Not bad progress for an evening. I'll wait an hour or so, and then pull it apart for the night. Eventually we'll add some screws for additional support.

If I've glued to the two sheets together by mistake... well.. that will hurt!

Stan
Stan Ferris

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

I wish I had space to build a small test track! It's looking good Stan!

Ernie
Ernie Layacan

#4 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:14 AM

After work I was able to get a few more things done on the track. I need some thin, but somewhat reliable bracing under the mdf, so I chose some poplar 1 x 3 boards. They were only slightly more costly than the pine, and being a little harder, they will hold up to the stresses better I think. Anyway, that's my hypothesis, and I'm going with it!

Posted Image

I built the framing with the mdf upside down, for obvious reasons. But I glued and screwed the framing together, and then later I glued it to the track, but more on that in a bit.

Notice across the joining area that I ripped down a piece of the poplar to ride on top of the tab boxes we made on Monday. I drilled two deep holes slightly bigger than my screw heads into this ripped piece, so that my 1 5/8's deck screws will still bite into the mdf. Note that these screws must be run down through the tabs portions, not over the slot portions. I notched the main spar that goes the whole length of the mdf to ride on the boxed area and screwed into the ripped cross piece.

Although I am gluing the framing together, I am holding it to the mdf with a few screws from the top. I am not gluing the frame to the mdf just yet.

Posted Image

I am not doing anything with the curved ends right now. On this 8' sheet, the main bracing spar goes nearly all the way, but the two side braces run 6' from the joining end.

Posted Image

With the framing complete, I flipped the whole thing right side up to see if I want to build any banking into the turn area.

After experimenting, I decided that trying to elevate the one end did not give the effect I was hoping for, and for only a slight few degrees of
smooth banking, complicated the framing and made the unit taller, so I'm cancelling that idea and going with a flat track. Hey, you don't know until you try.

Posted Image

With that out of the way, I set the unit on what I hope was a somewhat flat area of the driveway, pulled off the mdf (remember those two pocketed screws at the joint area), glued all the bracing tops, and applied the mdf with screws in a number of places. Many of these screws will come out later, once I draw in the lane locations if they are in the way. But for now, it's getting dark, and the glue has to set up so I can get my wife's car back in the driveway. Plenty of heavy stuff in the garage to apply pressure to the mdf while the glue is drying.

I try to be very careful keeping track of the screws... a couple new tires will really blow the budget on this track build! I countersink the screw holes fairly deep, to leave an area for the wood filler or bondo later.

Here they are stacked together... a pretty slim profile!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still standing this morning, and not too twisted or bent! Next chance for progress will be this weekend.
I'll keep you posted, of course.

Tonight I get to race 1/32 scale on one of Bob Scott's 4-lane road course tracks with the AZGR boys.

Stan
Stan Ferris

#5 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:33 PM

And so the day begins early today... where I left off earlier in the week.

Posted Image

Here's how real men stir their coffee in the morning...
Posted Image

I need to get started by laying out the lanes. To help, I'm going to modify my jig to draw the initial circle 5" from the outside edge.
Posted Image

A little piece of sanding foam holds the pencil.
Posted Image

Makes for a straight line.
Posted Image

I get an offer for help I can't refuse...
Posted Image

I'll use Luf's router plate as a guide to free-hand the rest of the lanes. I need to know where to stop the standard spaced 4" lanes, and start using Luf's jig. I'll space off my first outer lane by sighting it through the center hole in the router plate.
Posted Image

Better consult my plans. See you next post.
Posted Image

Stan
Stan Ferris

#6 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:48 PM

I'm going to free-hand draw the swerve section. My plan is to introduce a right-hand turn into the layout, and also to add a squeeze. Looks like it's designed to miss my coffee cup!
Posted Image

I'll have a barrier down the center line of the table to prevent head-on collisions, but I'm going to offset it toward the back lanes, to give more room for the swerve section. I'll have 4" from the inside lane to the barrier on the back stretch, and 5" to the wall on the front.
Posted Image

The lines look a little crooked right now, but I'll smooth them out with the jig. I don't want sudden transitions.

I mark where to stop routing from the outside edge and begin with Luf's jig.
Posted Image

I grab my trusty plywood jig with the newly added rollers, and make a smooth outer lane guided from the perimeter of the mdf.
Then, using two pins instead of rollers, I finish the other 3 lanes and center barrier slot, all with 4" spacing at the straights.
Posted Image

The pins capture the router well, so these inner lanes are stress-free easy-going!
Posted Image

A piece of scrap shows where the inner barrier wall will be.
Posted Image

Now for the tricky parts. See you next post.
Stan
Stan Ferris

#7 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:59 PM

You have to drill and fit the router plate from Luf to your exact machine. I marked the 4" side...
Posted Image

Posted Image

When his instructions say "use all the nail holes" in the fence jig, Luf means ALL the holes! If the jig gets too close to an existing slot, I'll put the nail behind the strip instead of in the hole.
Posted Image

I start on the inside lane. Be careful with the small radius turn. Use your router placed in the slot in position at the beginning and ending points of your planned lane to help place the fence and ensure a smooth transition into the existing slots.
Posted Image

To remove the strip, a little wood block helps.
Posted Image

Well, I'm going to keep working. See you in a bit.

Stan
Stan Ferris

#8 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:14 AM

Routing is done! Let's dress the slots a tiny bit with some sandpaper.
Posted Image

This thing could actually turn into a real track. I can see it now!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Time to bondo the screws and jig holes.
Posted Image

While that's setting up, I'll add a couple support pieces here and there.
Posted Image

And flush fit the ends.
Posted Image

Also, the long tabs joining the two sections, turned out to be way over engineered. So I shortened them considerably for ease of assembly.
Posted Image

Let's sand 'er up and get a coat of paint on.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Getting dark. But here's the first coat.
Posted Image

And since NASCAR cup cars are racing under the lights at Darlington tonight, I'll add a second coat under the lights, too.
Posted Image

Stan
Stan Ferris

#9 RickBac

RickBac

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

Stan I love It!!!

Where did you get the jigs?
Rick Bachman
Anthem, AZ

#10 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

The plywood jigs I made. The lexan stuff is from Luf:

http://www.oldslotracer.com/

Stan
Stan Ferris

#11 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

Got up early today to beat the noon heat. I need to rip some hardboard walls. This stuff has worked well for me, being strong, flexible, and inexpensive.
Posted Image

Taller ones are for the two ends.

Did I mention how real men stir their coffee in the morning?
Posted Image

Obviously, it takes toughness to play with toy cars and race for plastic bowling trophies!

Mounting the walls on the outside will require some hardwood tabs, which I ripped and cut on the table saw.
See how the back will receive the wallboard?
Posted Image

Another shot of it...
Posted Image

I love this sanding attachment for my drill press! Man does it save time! I'll hit all the rough edges.

Posted Image

Here's how it looks on the track...
Posted Image

I'm leaving these plain wood. They'll act as bumpers as well as wall holders as the students move the track pieces around.

While I'm at it, better install some bolts to hold the two track sections together.
Posted Image

Unpainted walls in position. They simply lift on and off.
Posted Image

Hey... what's going on there?

Posted Image

Four cars into the squeeze!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can now treat each section separately in the shade of the garage. Some hand sanding, and one last coat of paint before taping and wiring begin!

Posted Image

But I'm done for today.

Stan
Stan Ferris

#12 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

Looks great Stan!

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 club track racing! Dang!

"Even if you're on the Right Track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

Enjoy life! Race Slot Cars and read SlotBlog!

#13 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

Made a little progress since my last post.

Posted Image
Time to get taping! My jig works great... even though it fell off the workbench at some point and broke off part of the clear base. :shok:

Done. (Er, half done.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now for the ends... my hypothesis is that if I add just a tiny bit of copper thickness, then the compression of the two track halves will ensure electrical conductivity.

So I'm going to try copper tacks, and I think I'll only put them on one of the track halves to start.

Posted Image

I am pre-drilling with a 1/16" bit.

Posted Image

And now for some paint before I start on the other half.

Posted Image

Now the swerves won't look so out of place.

Posted Image

To be honest, I wasn't all that careful or exacting on the colors, just enough for effect. After all, I don't expect this track to be treated with gentleness.

Posted Image

Looking more and more like a track! Now to start on the other half. Cheers!

Stan
Stan Ferris

#14 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

Let's get started on the second half of our track!

Posted Image

Here is the section for the Trackmate dead-strip. I taped it off and laid down some copper to get the spacing. Then drilled out some tiny slots.

Posted Image

Some clean up...
Posted Image

And paint touch up...
Posted Image

Then some copper.
Posted Image

When I painted the top, I also hit the bottom with some patches under this area for the copper tape to grip on...
Posted Image

And here's the pick-up area...
Posted Image

I finished up with some paint. This section will be all business.... a pit area, and all the control stations. Not much grass for bystanders to have a picnic!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope to get to the wiring this weekend!

Stan
Stan Ferris

#15 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,421 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:32 AM

Looking really good Stan---you're becoming a craftsman!! Should be fun and FAST!! I"d recommend a top coat of Varathane for traction!!! You can't beat it--and it seals in all your other painting well too!!

T
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#16 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

Yes Stan this is coming out great! I should have painted the bottom of mine for the tape to stick better .... oh well next track.

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 club track racing! Dang!

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

#17 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:47 AM

Yawn. Well this is my 3rd weekend and a couple evenings thrown in... and it looks like I'll have a track for the kids to race on finally this week!
Big day yesterday, and so today will be easy street with just some fine tweeks and adjustments.

But here we go...

The day started with the drill, making some holes for the controller stations.
Posted Image

I'm adding two track call buttons, one between red and white, and another between blue and yellow.

It's still early in the morning, so I'll touch up the holes with some paint...
Posted Image

...and while it dries, grab a tiny cup of coffee...
Posted Image

...and CLEAN UP THE MESS!!! This place is a disaster zone.
Posted Image

I guess real men make messes like this. Hey, did I ever tell you how REAL MEN stir their coffee in the morning?
Posted Image

OK. One more sawdusty task... drilling a few access holes in the framework.
Posted Image

Try to remember where you put the screws into the framing from the mdf. I caught myself here almost wanting to drill in the wrong place.

Ahhh, that's better! A tidy workbench again. Now I can think clearly for the brainy part of this mission... electron flow!
Posted Image

Time to consult the plans...
Posted Image

...and call in an expert for some advice.
Posted Image

I am not ashamed to label everything. It cuts down on mistakes.
Posted Image

In fact, why not put everything you need right in front of your face!
Posted Image

Our AZGR club uses Trackmate on all our tracks, and I think a relay override is so convenient that I will always put one in from now on.
Here I'm just using a standard wall switch in the blue shallow box.
Posted Image

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, when running practice laps, you lose power to the rails in Trackmate when you set up a race in the software. So the switch will bypass the relay, and allow for cars to be run while you mess with entering drivers, etc. Very handy... especially with impatient students!

Now, if you haven't done a multi-lane track like this, don't let this picture scare you...
Posted Image

Just complete one part of your circuit at a time, and it will make sense as you go. Take a multi-meter (I like the cheap analog ones with a "beep" function) and test yourself as you go.

My biggest fear is put to rest for at least now...
Posted Image

Good transfer of current from one half to the other!!!!! We're gettin' a track!

Time for me to run some test laps and check everything out!

Stan
Stan Ferris

#18 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

Beautiful Pro job Stan!

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

If you remember

#19 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

I guess I'd better let my helper drive some laps, too.
Posted Image

Time for some final touches to make it a racing track. Here's what the driver stations look like...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Add a bright start/finish line and some lane colors. I'm going minimal on the lane marking... after all-- it's an oval, right? Not that hard to keep track of the lanes.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I also added some signage to liven things up a bit. Here are some race-ready cars waiting for their turn on the track...
Posted Image

An overview...
http://s677.photobucket.com/albums/vv139/stanfm/Student%20Slot%20Car%20Club/?action=viewĄt=MOV08616.mp4

Sorry, the lighting isn't too good in my living room. And now for some test laps... in the next post

Stan
Stan Ferris

#20 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

Some quick test laps:

NASCAR, no magnet with sili's on the rear and a few ounces of weight where the magnet was. 10v...
http://s677.photobuc...Ąt=MOV08605.mp4

FLY non-magnet with sili's on the rear...
http://s677.photobuc...Ąt=MOV08606.mp4
Stan Ferris

#21 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

By the way, I didn't know at first what the clicking sound was on these videos, but it's my controller which was right next to the mic on the camera.

Finally, the sprint car with slick-7 motor. Foams on the rear, cleaned with lighter fluid...
http://s677.photobuc...Ąt=MOV08607.mp4

You never finish these projects, you just decide at some point to stop working on them. This is done!

Now to break it apart and get it over to the school!

Stan
Stan Ferris

#22 CruzinBob

CruzinBob

Track Owner, Builder, Mobile Track Master

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

You know I can be real lame sometimes, I replied to the other post on this but only saw this when you emailed saying there was a video!

Better than nicely done Stan. This should really be on DIY. Really, you're amazing. And then when you have some clips of the kids and their progress, time for the Disney Channel...S-L-O-T C-A-R...well, ya never know.
Bob Scott
Cruzin' Mobile Slot Car Racing

Men can heal the lustful. Angels can heal the malicious. Only God can heal the proud. - St. John Climacus

#23 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:06 AM

Beautiful job on this whole build Stan!

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

If you remember

#24 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,421 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

Your track came out very nice Stan!!! I like the way you did the driver's station and hookups too. The kids should be very impressed!! Have FUN!!!
T

#25 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

You guys are too kind. Thanks for the encouragement! Let's see how it holds up to some 13-year-old wear and tear!

Stan
Stan Ferris

#26 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

Here's a shot of the track pieces stored in my classroom.
Posted Image

I put cardboard between the two track surfaces for protection.

Here it is set up, just about wall-to-wall in my small room...
Posted Image

Part of the large general crowd that gathered before classes this morning... many had never slot car raced before.
I put out 4 of my Scalextric COT's no mag (but a little weight in the mag slot) and indy grip rears. Fun cars to race and a good introduction for most.
Posted Image
Posted Image

No official club races yet. I have two field trips this week, so it may not happen until next week. Huge crowd after school today. We stayed until 5pm then put the track away. It took about 10 minutes to break it down and put everything back up on the shelves.

Stan
Stan Ferris

#27 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

So, obviously, young kids are going to be much harder on the track than adults would be. Anticipating problems, I decided to do a small test block where I repaired the copper tape.

Here's a simulated break or gap in the copper tape...
Posted Image

If my tape gets mangled, I'd want to trim it back to get two straight edges.

Next, take a new piece that is wider than the gap, and lay it down...
Posted Image

Notice the valley between the two original pieces...
Posted Image

My plan is to not have a double thickness of copper after my fix. I carefully took a razor blade, and positioned it right on the rims of the valley.
Posted Image

Then just tear up and off the extra copper.
Posted Image

The patching piece must exactly touch the two original ends. No gaps, no overlaps...
Posted Image

Let's heat up a standard electronic soldering iron. See you next post.

Stan
Stan Ferris

#28 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

I'll wipe the iron tip clean on my damp sponge. Don't want any extra crud on my patch, and I don't want to hold the iron for very long on the copper.
Melting no more than 1/8" or 1/4" in length of very small solder, I gently heated the copper and added the small quantity of solder to the two joints.
Posted Image

Then taking more of the side of the iron tip, I "painted" and smoothed the solder back and forth to lower the profile and smooth things out.
Posted Image

Here I am checking continuity of the finished patch with a multi-meter...
Posted Image

Electron flow!

Checking the profile...
Posted Image

OK. But we're not done with our test. Let's see if the patch holds mechanically as well. I say we peel off the whole strip and check it out!

Posted Image

All in one piece! After tugging on it a bit, I stuck it back down on the board...
Might as well keep playing around with it! I"ll sweep the soldering iron over it again a couple times, and stick it back down on the board...
Posted Image

...And pulled off one more time to check strength...
Posted Image

Dude... this might work! For now, this will be my technique of choice for doing any patching on the track's copper.

Stan
Stan Ferris

#29 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

Here's a quick video of some of the students trying to get used to their sprint cars on the new track... taking some practice laps...
http://s677.photobuc...Ąt=MOV08625.mp4

Short footage of what happens when the sprint cars touch wheels. They go crazy even at slow speeds!
http://s677.photobuc...Ąt=MOV08630.mp4

I must say I am quite impressed with the copper so far. It seems to have much more conductivity or less resistance than the rails on my Carrera track. With only one power connection to the track, the cars accelerate with torque anywhere on the track. And these sprint cars seem to have very little braking on my Carrera, where as on this track they brake strong!

My ears are still ringing from all the excited yelling today!

Stan
Stan Ferris

#30 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

I wish I had a teacher like you when I was in school! Great Job Stan!

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

If you remember

#31 Jacob Shiplet

Jacob Shiplet

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

Definitely awesome Stan.
Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

#32 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,421 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Gee- I think I want to go BACK to school!!!! Nice Stan!!!
T

#33 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:17 AM

The track has been assembled and disassembled 3 or 4 times by now. And the expected dings here and there are showing up. But the students are learning to do the set up on their own. Usually two or three of them are required to move the actual track pieces. The method seems to be standing the pieces on end, and sliding them across the carpet floor on the tabs that join the two pieces. Let's see how long the tabs can hold up!

But I am pleased so far that the electrical continuity is holding up strong. Remember I only have one power tap, and used copper tacks on one piece to help bridge between the copper tape on the sections. I showed the students how to use just the right amount of tightening on the bolts holding the sections together. Tight enough for good electrical contact, but not so tight as to completely mash the copper tape with the tack heads.

As an aside, my dad showed me many years ago now, that when using finish nails (which many no longer use with the advent of nailing guns), it's best to clip off the pointed tip of the nail. I did this with the copper tacks I used...
Posted Image

This keeps the nails or tacks from acting as much like wedges and easily splitting out the wood or mdf, especially when used near an edge. They tend to mash a hole in the wood, rather than split open a crack that way. On my student track, I pre-drilled the holes, shot in a bit of super glue, and used the tacks with the tips cut off.

It doesn't take these kids long to figure some things out! On some practice rounds, I've seen them secretly remove the red brake clip on their friend's controller, only to see him fly into the wall with a look of confusion. :blink:
One more reason, I insist that if they want to race, they need to buy their own car, so it's their $30 hitting the wall, not mine. :laugh2:

Stan
Stan Ferris

#34 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

KIDS!.... I remember ...... I think?:laugh2:

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

If you remember

#35 dan49

dan49

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

KIDS!.... I remember ...... I think?:laugh2:

Dan Thorlton

#36 dan49

dan49

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

Stan,
Your photo journal is exceptional and very well done. I am a fifth grade teacher and have a slot car racing club that I started in December of 2010. We are getting ready to construct a portable 4 lane oval very similar to what you have done. I wasn't sure how to attach the side walls but your method is ideal for my needs. I am using copper braid in place of copper tape because I am afraid the tape might get damaged during storage or setup. Please become a member of our club site at www.racingtosuccess.com. I would enjoy sharing ideas and possibly a proxy race at some time.
Dan
Dan Thorlton

#37 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

Stan,
Your photo journal is exceptional and very well done. I am a fifth grade teacher and have a slot car racing club that I started in December of 2010. We are getting ready to construct a portable 4 lane oval very similar to what you have done. I wasn't sure how to attach the side walls but your method is ideal for my needs. I am using copper braid in place of copper tape because I am afraid the tape might get damaged during storage or setup. Please become a member of our club site at www.racingtosuccess.com. I would enjoy sharing ideas and possibly a proxy race at some time.
Dan

Sounds very cool, Dan! What type of cars do you plan on using?

Stan
Stan Ferris

#38 dan49

dan49

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:36 AM

Stan,
I purchased a quantity of SCX NASCAR units and they are bullet proof. The only thing we did was true up the wheels, play with the gear lash just a tiny amount, installed Slot it F1 tires, lubed them up and put them on the track. I reduced the voltage to 10 volts and they seem to be plenty quick for my 11 year old members. So far we have had zero failures with them so I am more than pleased.
Dan Thorlton

#39 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

Hey Cruzin' Bob--- Check out Dan's site. Great info for your file on student programs!

Stan
Stan Ferris

#40 CruzinBob

CruzinBob

Track Owner, Builder, Mobile Track Master

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

Hey Cruzin' Bob--- Check out Dan's site. Great info for your file on student programs!

Stan

Yes, I did just as soon as I saw the post. Also sent him a note.

FYI, you may have heard about Wayne Halabourda, the teacher in Canada who started a very comprehensive slot car program in Canada in 1999. For some of the story see
http://www.slotside....er/school1.html and http://www.oldweirdh...res/skooltrack/ . I tried several times to speak to Wayne about the program but rec'd no response.

In 2002 a fellow slot racer, Rich Vecchio who lived in Prescott, AZ (now in Roseburg, OR) had heard of Waynes program and thought he'd see if there was any interest at Prescott High. The tech teacher was interested although he was retiring in several years. Rich knew the mgr of the Prescott Home Depot and after some discussion, Home Depot donated the wood to build their own track. I attended a few of the meets and even held a local series race there one time. The program was attended by a handful of students but a bit of lack of enthusiasm on the teachers part due to his retiring status made it difficult to grow the program.

Sad thing is, I believe both programs are now gone. You 2 have first hand knowledge of what it takes. I know very well the difficulties and rewards of running a program for kids. It is something that could be done at many levels and many age groups. It can be a self sustaining program if you were to develop a mobile track setup. My visions are many and one is this -

At some time in your life I am sure everyone has stopped at a stoplight and on the corner a bunch of kids are yelling, jumping up and down for you to come over to their car wash where they are trying to raise money for their uniforms, etc. Well, in addition to the wash, why not have a small slot car track there as well to entertain those waiting or to entertain other passersby and raise some $ for the school slot car club? Use the mobile track as a fundraiser for local school functions which are usually many.

I am so very happy to see you 2 step up and take the initiative to take this to your school and make it happen. It would be great to hear the red tape and concern for liabilities that hinder widespred installation of this type program in schools. You are helping make this possible for others, thank you :)

On another note, in July I plan to incorporate WHEELS as a non profit organization for the promotion and recognition of model slot car racing and related model building for all scales. Anyone interested please email me @ cruisinbob@juno.com .

Keep up the great work fellas, this is exciting and so very well done, both of you!

Bob Scott
Cruzin' Mobile Slot Car Racing

Men can heal the lustful. Angels can heal the malicious. Only God can heal the proud. - St. John Climacus

#41 Stan

Stan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

Been a while... time for an update!
Our "Madison Motorheads" are still going strong. In fact, I was able to figure a way to leave the track set up in my classroom along one wall. It just fits, and creates a bunch of storage space underneath.
Posted Image
Everyone says they think my room looks bigger now that the track is set up-- go figure. I think it's because all the stuff we normally would trip over (telescopes, tools, boxes of books, lumber, junk, etc.), is now under the track and out of sight.
Posted Image

Now that there is no set up/tear down time, students can access the track much more often.
Here's a typical lunch hour or before school crowd:
Posted Image

The AZGR slot car club has donated money to the school so we now have 4 Professor Motor controllers with variable throttle and brake controls!
We have three classes: IROC NASCARs (Scalextric), Sprints Plus (with S-7 motors), and H&R hard bodies. We're going to try something new when school is back in session next week. On Thursdays during study hall, we can run a race with students who do not have anything below "Cs" in any of their classes.

Teaching science at our school is so much funl-- you get to set stuff on fire and race slot cars-- and they pay you for it!!! :dance3: :victory: :laugh2:

Stan
Stan Ferris

#42 dan49

dan49

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

Stan,
I would say you have hit a home run with your club. Being able to have the track set up full time is a huge advantage and will definately help the club grow. My fifth grade club is doing well with more than 50%(62) students racing on a weekly basis. The 16X8 four lane portable oval has been completed and we are now in the process of constructing a six foot extension for the straights. I opted for braid as opposed to tape which will add to the longevity of the track. The next big club project will be to replace the tape on the roadcourse(The Beast) with braid. The big news for us centered around financing our needs to sustain the club. I met the owner of A.R.T. which is a skunkworks for Dodge Vipers that compete in the Viper Cup Challenge series. These cars compete on a variety of roadcourses and owner/driver Todd Nelson was impressed with our slot car program. To my surprise, Todd has turned over all of his race earnings from this past season to Racing to Success. His contribution of $7000.00 will allow the club to grow and offer numerous possibilities to our members. Who would have thunk, slot cars could have a place in the world of educaton! Keep up the good work and tell your members there are several Hotrod Hoosiers keeping an eye on them just waiting for a proxy race.

Dan
Dan Thorlton

#43 parocket

parocket

ASSCC

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

Stan, Dan,

Great job getting our youths involved with slot cars instead of video games all the time.

Rodney

#44 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,421 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

It's great that you can leave the track up and use it for storage too!! Now your club has a real chance to continue to grow through the whole school getting involved!! Congratulations on a very successful program --what a great way to introduce slots to the next generation-and use them to encourage building skill and interpersonal skills through competition! Great job!!! We need MORE teachers like you!!
T

#45 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,835 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

Good job, Stan!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#46 Roger U

Roger U

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

This is great for the students and for slot racing, Thanks Stan.
Roger Uusitalo

Electric Dreams Online Shop