• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

My memories of Kemtron X503 Wasp motors from back in the '60s is one of raw power on the banked track in the back room of Pasadena Speedway. It is also one of fragility... speed at a price I guess.

I'm not yet in the mood to paint up the bodies of the other builds I've started :unsure: . So, I'm building up a Kemtron. Here she is in stock form, a NOS (new old stock) motor from the Oakland Speedway collection. Thanks, Rodney ;) :

Posted Image

When I tear into one of these 40+ year old motors something usually goes wrong. This time I have spare parts! They came as a seller's afterthought in an eBay auction. I think they are pretty cool:

Posted Image

This motor looks like a beast. So, I wanted to put into a model of a real beast. I've been saving this beauty, I think it's time to build it up:

Posted Image

I've searched the internet for pictures of this "1957 4.9L Maserati". Here's what I've found for pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can any of you guys help with a photo that more closely matches this Shark body?

• hiline2 likes this

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#2 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:01 PM

Great idea, Rick! I have a couple of Kemtrons both new and used. I just may have to get one running, too! Now for a cool old bod to put over it like yours!

Thanks! Keep us posted. I'm sure Dokk can add to this...

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 club track racing! Dang!

"Even if you're on the Right Track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

Enjoy life! Race Slot Cars and read SlotBlog!

#3 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:17 PM

Hey Barney,

Let's get some Kemtrons on the track! :)

Rick Thigpen

#4 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:50 AM

Here is a Kemtron X503-powered Dragmaster chassis by K&B. The bearing supports look to be cast instead of pressed, not sure why? You can see a bit of the side of the motor.

The blue dragster in back is Russkit.

K&Bruskit2.JPG

• hiline2 and McAllister like this

#5 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:39 AM

Great idea, Rick! Some of my Kemtron/KTM motors have a lot more kick than the Pittman equivalents, but not all... I even have a 4v version of the KTM that I'm saving for a special occasion...

Interesting that you should put up pix of that bod and the real cars: I have the same body and have also had trouble finding the real equivalent! I wonder if they just didn't make it a bit/lot overscale? I had been planning a Pittman DC70X-Kemtron frame combo, but might have to rethink that now.

Anyway, if anybody finds the real car corresponding to the Shark body, all info is welcome!

Don

#6 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

The Maserati is begging for a set of those expensive Russkit wire wheels! :)
Don Hollingsworth

#7 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

My slot car career started the day I put my Kemtron X501 motor into a Kemtron sidewinder kit chassis that I assembled in our oven. I took it to Polks Hobbies in NY and entered the Thursday night race and began a winning streak that night that lasted years. That car made Lou Del Rosario quit racing at Polks and start his own raceway in Elmsford.
  • Gator Bob likes this
Howie Ursaner

#8 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:05 AM

I've searched the internet for pictures of this "1957 4.9L Maserati".

Rick,

Looking at the Shark body modeled by Ron Klein, it looks to me more like a Lister-Maserati that was running in SCCA events in the mid 1950s. I will try finding pictures of it. I seem to remember that it was a British Lister chassis originally designed for a Jaguar XK120 engine, mated to a 2-liter four-banger A6GCS engine lifted from a crashed road car.

Kemtron electric motors were of course imported from Japan.

A sentence from my new book:

By 1963, they marketed a line of Japanese motors under the KTM name, using stacked pole pieces, the different versions available, 501 to 503, Mustang , Bronco, and Wasp, were largely defined by the thickness of the pole stacks as well as armature windings. Several of these motors were also used in Kemtron model trains.

Thing is, I was never able to pinpoint the actual Japanese motor maker.

#9 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

Hi,

Actually, I think that body is the 300 not the one listed. I have one of those "from the day" with a Pittman 704/5/6 in it.

My Kemtron story is that I did not own one in the day!

In my local stuff, we had a lot with 704 type motors on very short tracks. When we got a bigger track, we also saw our first 36Ds. Mechanically, it was clear to me that the can was superior, so I immediately did a rewind and "owned" the racing on the bigger tracks! Segue to '65 when my dad retired and we spent the summer driving around the country doing the sort of tourist stuff we could not do when we had orders to reach the new station in 24 hours!

So, I hit dozens of tracks all across the country before my dad retired to his home town of Salt Lake.

I was surprised to find them, here, "behind" everyone else I had seen around the country as their racing was still dominated by the "padlock" motors. That was August '65. There was an area-wide race series going on where they were tracking all the results on all the tracks with the intent of awarding "number/plate" to the top ten racers in the intermountain west. Despite my late start, my 36Ds gave me a huge advantage and I ended up with the number 4 plate.

By the end of the year, there were no padlock motors in the field.

Anyway, in '94, I was at MRS in Sandy Utah running Flexis with my friend Kelly when this guy walks in and says, "Hay, I know you... you are the guy who ruined my life!" His story was that he had done well with the padlock motors and could never get a 36D to win for him. He asked me when I stopped using them. And I indicated I had never actually had one! Told him the can story.

He left, came back a half hour later, and handed me a Kemtron/Dynamic car. "You should at least have ONE".

On the BP King, the car runs solid 10 second laps!

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#10 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:00 PM

He left, came back a half hour later, and handed me a Kemtron/Dynamic car. "You should at least have ONE".

On the BP King, the car runs solid 10 second laps.

Cool story, Rocky. 10's on the BP King, now I have a baseline to shoot for. Although Eddie's King isn't as fast as BP. The track difference might not matter in 10 second lap car though....

Anywho, thanks for all the input, guys :) . And Howie, what a cool story! Mighty Kemtron’s indeed.

Dokk and Don, on the KTMs, Rodney told me that back in the '60s the KTMs were said to be faster than the Kemtrons. I always assumed they were the same motor sold under different names. I kept my eye out for a KTM and a couple of months ago found a new 3 volt for sale on ePay. I buzzed the KTM and Kemtron 6 volt motors up on my power supply and the KTM sounded MUCH faster :shok: .

I also found a “Hop-Up” article on the KTM in an old 1965 newsletter published for a short time in the Bay Area. The author spoke of the differences between the KTM and the Kemtron. One I remember off the top of my head is the heavier wire on the KTM’s armature and the different commutator with tabs to solder the wires to. The Kemtron has the wires solder directly to the comm’s surface :blink: !

After a quick visual inspection the rest of the motors look the same. When I build up the KTM I’ll post the newsletter article and closely inspect and measure the components of the two motors.

But firsts, time to “Hop-Up” my Mighty Kemtron ;) :

Posted Image

• hiline2 and Gator Bob like this

Rick Thigpen

#11 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

I always assumed they were the same motor sold under different names.

Hey, Rick, I thought the same thing, too.

I have two KTMs... one used and one new.

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 club track racing! Dang!

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

A bit more:

KEMTRON (USA)

The Kemtron Corporation, founded and owned by Levon J. Kemalyan in 1949 in Fresno, California, manufactured model railway cars, locomotives, parts, and accessories. Kemalyan was born February 24, 1907, grew up in Fresno and attended Fresno public schools. He was active in the First Presbyterian Church, having served as an Elder to the Session and on the Board of Trustees. Kemtron employed legendary design engineers in the model-train field. As the new slot car hobby grew and commercial raceways began to appear like mushrooms, Kemtron became one of the pioneers of the 1/24 scale commercial racing in the United States, and by 1962, aided by engineer John Schow Anderson, were producing an array of stamped sheet brass and soldered brass tubing in kit form that made much of the available components for the quickly increasing market. By 1963, they marketed a line of Japanese motors under the KTM name. Using stacked pole pieces, the different versions available, 501 to 503, Mustang , Bronco, and Wasp, were largely defined by the thickness of the pole stacks as well as armature windings. Several of these motors were also used in Kemtron model trains.

KTM stands for Kemtron Train Models. The various KTM/Kemtron motors have differences, but all come from the same manufacturer in Japan, suspected to have some commonality with Igarashi, since the mysterious "Pi" aluminum chassis that also came at one time with this motor has ties with both Igarashi and Strombecker. But I cannot be absolutely sure and the people at Igarashi were unable to provide me with suitable information.

#13 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Thanks, Dokk. I'm looking forward to building up that 3v KTM. It screams pretty good for an old padlock motor.

Here are the modified parts of the Mighty Kemtron:

1. The stack of laminations (padlock) is drilled out to lose the brass metric screws and replace them with stainless steel 2-56 machine screws.

2. If you look closely at the padlock you can see where two laminations on each side were cut off. This was supposed to increase RPM. I think it just looks cool.

3. The bronze bearings were replaced with ball bearings.

4. The armature was epoxied and static balanced.

Posted Image

The finished motor:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next up is a rear axle carrier I’ve seen used many times but never tried...

• hiline2, Gator Bob and McAllister like this

Rick Thigpen

#14 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

Rick, a real beauty! :)

#15 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

Those pictures of the complete motor remind me of the colorized and airbrushed photos I would see in old engineering brochures. Like they were "better than life", you know?

I agree with Philippe, a real beauty!

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#16 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

Rick, are you sure that is a 3 volt motor? I've never heard of a 3 volt KTM or Kemtron, although I do have a 4 volt version and read some years back that 4 volts is the lowest it can be wound due to the multiple poles (5 instead of Mabuchi 3 poles). :unsure: There was a technical explanation but it was a while ago and I can't remember it. :( Something about the 5 poles resistance limits. Whatever the case, it's another masterpiece of a motor job! :D :dance4:
One other thing-there is a slight size difference that is almost unnoticeable. The KTM fits in the Dynamic cast chassis perfect whereas the Kemtron will take a little modification and wiggle.
Gary Stelter

#17 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

Beautiful job, Rick! Hey does anybody have a rewind number for this motor... I have two of them... :rolleyes:

Hey, I have an extra Dynamic motor pod for it...

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

If you remember

#18 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

Thanks, guys, the motor did "clean up" pretty nice.

Don, yup the KTM is a 4 volt, I checked the box label to confirm.

Beautiful job, Rick! Hey does anybody have a rewind mnumber for this motor... I have two of them... :rolleyes:

Hey, I have an extra Dynamic motor pod for it...

Barney, I found a 1/'66 Car Model Magazine article on rewinding five pole motors. It has a chart of "Minimum Recommended Rewinds For Five-Pole Motors". For the Kemtron the hottest wind is 68 turns (approx 10.4 ft.) of #30 wire for approx. 1.25 ohms :unsure: ... That sounds like a Girlyman wind to me :laugh2: . I just checked a NOS 6 volt Kemtron arm and it measured .8 ohms. I'd be happy to send you one, Barney :) .

For a chassis I decided to make a more, I don't know, classic or production oriented design. I'm using a "store bought" rear axle carrier I've seen on lots of vintage cars on eBay:

Posted Image

I replaced the plastic bushings will ball bearings and the steel nuts with stainless steel. It was kind of painful to set up and get everything as square or lined up as possible. I'm happy with the way it turned out and period "Korrect" it surely is ;) :

Posted Image

Posted Image

I want to show some "gear sypher'n". The rear axle carrier can be kept in the same place and the gear ratio changed... onward! :)

• hiline2, Gator Bob and McAllister like this

Rick Thigpen

#19 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,836 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:03 PM

Jeez Louise, Rick! :wub:
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#20 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

Great build, really brought back memories... they are/were more than competitive with the Pittmans, as I remember it, and the chassis kits were beautiful.

We drove to Fresno in the '60s and visited Kemtron and a track called Telco if I recall correctly. Quite a place.

I still have some Kemtrons and the Kemtron/Ram versions running in road cars and dragsters.
David Cummerow

#21 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

Hey, Rick, that's a nice old axle carrier... I had forgot about that type. Most all the guys at our track just did some pretty strange scratch brass chassis. Do you think the arm would be faster than the KTM marked motor I have?

Ya, that wind sounds wimpy to me, too. What was the fuse on these? I mean what failed first when rewound? I never ran anything but hand-me-down Pitts, then the can motors took hold and 36D ruled for a short time. Our local track then closed. So I was out of it except for travels with the parents and stuff I could get at the tracks for a couple hrs..

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

If you remember

#22 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:20 AM

This is a copy of some very tatty packaging from Kemtron, showing chassis.

scan0005.jpg

#23 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

... and here is that same chassis:

chassisa.jpg
  • hiline2 likes this
David Cummerow

#24 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

And the car. Sorry if I hijacked, Rick.

I think the Kemtron chassis stuff was maybe even more remarkable than the motors, given the technology of the time. The "fuse" in the motors is probably the brushes and springs?? I don't think anyone had much luck with the round ones, but I could be wrong.

tbirda.jpg
David Cummerow

#25 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

No hijacking, Dave :) .

Everyone, please show us your Kemtrons/KTMs here in the "The Mighty Kemtron" thread ;) .

Rick Thigpen

#26 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

Well, if that's the fuse, lets rewind boys! I have a bunch of experience with round brushes running rewound G+ arms in HO for drags.

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

If you remember

#27 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hi,

A follow-on story: Another local "Jim Young" back in the '60s had a small custom slot car company called "24th Creations" making pro cars for the area. These days, he keeps his hand in by racing some 1/32 and managing the local Kingleman on Saturdays so that the owner has a day off!

When I got the Kemtron cleaned up, I took it by the track for Jim to play with. So, there he is out trundling around the track (at that time a Hillclimb) and he had a big tear running down his face. "See how nice these things were? It is sort of sad that the cars got smaller and faster, because these were just neat!"

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#28 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

So, Barney, talk to us about round brushes and flimsy coil springs, please! I can't see those things carrying much current in their present form.
David Cummerow

#29 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

The short story... Our HO club were using the stiffest springs BSRT made at the time for drag racing G+ cars. I talked to Gary Beadle and those were as stout as he made because they were made for road racing with milder arms.

I taught the guys how to rewind and we started rewinds with 34 ga. then 32 ga. wire and they were fast but we wanted more. Our club did drag and road racing once a month as the local hobby shop owner rented the Grange Hall for us.

I had a larger range of wire but the springs would just collapse (like a "fuse", remember the fuse statement). We could not get 31/30 and 29 wire to work at all. One of the guy's dad owned a junkyard and he had seen small springs in lock tumblers from glove boxes and doors, etc. So he and I went through everything we could take apart until we found springs that would fit the diameter of the brush tubes. We then had springs that would not act like a fuse... all we did is cut them down to get enough spring pressure to run big wire arms....without pushing the tubes out of the chassis. Then something else became the "fuse" like gears, tires, and wheels! We would show up with a handful of rewinds and blow through the comms racing. :laugh2: The guy at the hobby shop loved us because we would buy more arms and keep the best for road racing and rewind the new arms that did not make the cut.

I have not got into these Kentron/KTM springs yet but if the springs are that weak you just have to find a coil spring made from larger wire. I do have a listing for springs now days and think we could find what's needed.

Oh and our 29 wire G+ arms looked like they were wound with coat hanger :shok: and we put as many coils as we could on them to try to mild them out a little.
Yes, they wore out the comms fast as 2-3 runs but they were stinkin' fast! ;) We even raced MagnaTraction cars with the PC comms and they would trash the comms in 1-2 passes. If I remember right the largest wire we could get to run on them was 31 wire???

I would think that if these Kemtrons were too hot they would suffer from not enough magnet and not have much brakes. You don't get something for nuttin' so I will not go too wild at first as we want to run them on a road track. It was at this time Team CORT started as I lived on Orange St. and called my HO track California Orange Raceway.

SMILECORT.gif
  • Jocke P likes this

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

If you remember

#30 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:03 AM

The 1/24 motor builders might have been and are taking a short cut on motor brushes. The faster 1/64 cars have used very nice externally-adjustable brush tubes for years. Very simple to adjust brush pressure with an allen wrench.
Don Hollingsworth

#31 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

When the G+ came out it had just brush tubes. With the rewinds we used, even an adjustable brush would still not be enough to run #29 ga. arms without starting with stiffer springs but it sure would have made it easier if we would have had them in the '70s.

What we really needed was shunted brushes! We will not be shoving anything near high current on these old Kemtrons for road racing. We will just need a little stronger spring and that will be easy enough to do.

I think the brushes will be the next fuse. If they will take just a little more pressure without crumbling we will be able to use them.

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

If you remember

#32 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,027 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

That motor looks wonderful. :)

Well, it is not a KTM/Kemtron but Barney and all the Legends got my dead stock DC-706 Pittman - Dynamic chassis Proxy car going 8.80s with 45 year old tires on the King at BP. :laugh2:

Building an all NOS KTM-powered Kemtron SW Chassis car now just for fun!!!

Never ran the padlocks back in the day. I started out with inline Atlas open frame factory green wire rewinds with the ball bearings on the home set and went straight to 36Ds when the local commercial tracks opened. :unsure:

I love train motor slot cars. :wub:

- WDzqYLKlZcbyIJAbLTxE.png

Bob Israelite

#33 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

Starting with the Atlas, then the Hemi, what I did was take two or three springs and wind them together to fit inside the tube to up the pressure and reduce the "fuse" effect.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#34 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

For the front half of the chassis I'm going old school. Kemtron offered these pieces to make a chassis and drop arm:

Posted Image

The tubes are 5/32" in diameter and look a bit big on a Kemtron. They look fine on a Pittman 85 but I decided to make my own form 1/8" tube. First, mark the tube where you're going to squish it and get it straight in the vise with a square if you want to be neat....Pete:

Posted Image

A little center punch and pistol drill action is next...

Posted Image

... followed by some chassis building bits from Kemtron and Speedway:

Posted Image

Here the pieces are all laid out to show what's what:

Posted Image

Everything jigged up in my Rick's Jig:

Posted Image

Here's my Rick's Jig with the chassis parts and motor removed showing all the alignment pins in place. This jig really makes scratch building FUN!

Posted Image

The finished chassis all cleaned up. Top view:

Posted Image

Bottom view:

Posted Image

Wheels and tires next...

• hiline2 likes this

Rick Thigpen

#35 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:52 PM

Is there a drop arm limiter? :unsure:
Gary Stelter

#36 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,027 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

My slot car career started the day I put my Kemtron X501 motor into a Kemtron sidewinder kit chassis that I assembled in our oven. I took it to Polks Hobbies in NY and entered the Thursday night race and began a winning streak that night that lasted years. That car made Lou Del Rosario quit racing at Polks and start his own raceway in Elmsford.

Howie,

Good thing you built that car and drove Lou to open Elmsford. Could you imaging the state of the hobby; Lou held it together thru the dark ages.

Bob Israelite

#37 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Beautiful, Rick! (Even yer dang chassis jig is clean enough to eat on!)

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

If you remember

#38 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

Is there a drop arm limiter? :unsure:

Hi Gary,

Yes, I installed one after I polished the chassis. That way I could pivot the arm out of the way. But, you got me thinking... that hurt a bit but I did it anyway :blink: . I'm going to look through the old magazines and see how often drop arm down stops were used in the "pre-Mabuchi" days :unsure: .

Hey Barney, I'm going to give my Rick's Jig a good cleaning and see if she can be even more purdy ;) . A clean chassis jig is a happy chassis jig :) .

Rick Thigpen

#39 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,027 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

The Kemtron Dealer Parts kit is wonderful!

Bob Israelite

#40 bradblohm

bradblohm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Hey Rick,

Look on this link. It contains a picture of Shelby's Maserati 450S and looks like your body to me.

Hope this helps,

Brad
Brad Blohm

#41 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

Excellent, Brad - I had a little trouble making it past that second photo (Carroll, too), but once I saw that 450S I think you found the right body, well... the other right body!

Don

#42 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:41 AM

[size="4"]
Hi Gary,

Yes, I installed one after I polished the chassis. That way I could pivot the arm out of the way. But, you got me thinking... that hurt a bit but I did it anyway :blink: . I'm going to look through the old magazines and see how often drop arm down stops were used in the "pre-Mabuchi" days :unsure: .

I think the limiter is a good idea but in the days of the Kemtron, all I ever remember seeing was guys using the guide shoe wires to limit drop. Not really the greatest solution but at the time, that's all there was.
Gary Stelter

#43 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:42 AM

lead wires made the best drop arm down stops and were the most used style.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#44 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

That's what I thought Rick was doing when he showed that first chassis pic. But after post #38, I am not not so sure... :unsure: ;)

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#45 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

Never argue with the best because you will always come out second. :D
Gary Stelter

#46 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

BAZOOKA! :shok: :shok:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

LOOK AT THEM PIPES! Bazookas indeed! Whatever livery this car ends up with it's going to get a pair of Bazookas for sure :D .

Speaking of the livery, thanks for all the posts and PM's with help :thank_you2:

But first wheels and tires. The article above says to use 16" front wheels and 17" rears. The 16" and 17" are tire sizes, or the diameter of the tires bead. The actual wheel diameter is about 1 1/2" bigger than that.

I needed 18 1/2" rear and 17 1/2" front wheels or a scale .770" rear and 730" front. I ended up with these:

Posted Image

Those are some giant Riggen threaded rears with 40mm "German" tires and Revell threaded front wheels and tires. The axle nuts are Cox flanged and the gears are Weldun 64P.

To true these threaded wheels and tires I made another mod to my Hudy tire grinder. It's now a dedicated 1/8" axle machine. The modified threaded axle I bought for the metric Hudy bearings just didn't run true enough. Here are the modified Hudy parts:

Posted Image

The pulley was reamed out to 1/8", the straightest vintage threaded axle I could find modified and some vintage Hobby House bearing cups with 1/4" X 1/8" ball bearings fit the Hudy perfectly:

Posted Image

Time to screw the whole car together.......and make some BAZOOKAS!

• hiline2 likes this

Rick Thigpen

#47 Edo

Edo

The Kinkie Thingie Kingie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:45 AM

.....and make some BAZOOKAS!

BAZOOKAS?
Plural?
You mean you're making more than one car?
;)
EdoTBertoglio - Maverick assembler (formerly troubled)

Finish Line: the movie

#48 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hi Edo,

The race fans of 1957 named the 450S "Bazooka" because of them pipes!. WWII was only 12 years in the past and they remembered the Allies tank killer and bunker buster, the Bazooka:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They don't look exactly like a real Bazooka but you get the idea ;) .I'm working on making them pipes! now :) .

But first, here's the finished roller:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The bottom view shows the drop arm stops:

Posted Image

For a pickup I'm using the OLD Dynamic guide. It's big, ugly and was used quite a bit. I'm using "hairy braid" on mine:

Posted Image

K&B wire wheel inserts. Big ones in the back......

Posted Image

.....and smaller in front:

Posted Image

Onward to Bazooka Land........

• hiline2 likes this

Rick Thigpen

#49 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:22 AM

Damn' I thought we were talking about bazooms.... Beautiful job as always Rick.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#50 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Damn' I thought we were talking about bazooms....

Posted Image

:D

Rick Thigpen

Electric Dreams Online Shop