• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

I started my Harvey project with an earlier post that shows bodies of the Lancer and Dynamic versions and period magazine articles of the real racer:

A Tale Of Two Harvey’s

Then I acquired this Lancer factory painted version. I sent it off to that Viceroy of Vacuum, John Dilworth. He made a mold from it and produces some wonderful repop bodies. Here's the original:

Posted Image

I decided to finish off the Lancer Yellow Boy and bring its journey full circle.... but what motor to use and keep it in the 1965 timeline?

Then BAM! What about this, a Pittman DC-65X:

Posted Image

It fit...INLINE! :shok: I was inspired by the old #1603 Kemtron inline frame for the X503 padlock motor. Then I thought about these rear axle brackets from the Dawn of Time:

Posted Image

The bracket was designed to solder onto an inline motor.

Posted Image

I just needed to drill a couple of holes in the axle bracket. Howard's Hobby House bearing retainers are doubled up and fit to the bracket:

Posted Image

To drill and tap holes in the motor end pieces I wanted to take the motor apart.....but I didn't want the zillion little stamped "pole pieces" falling apart :unsure: . Here's my somewhat goofy solution :blink: :

Posted Image

"Wicking grade" thread locker was brushed onto the outside of the motor being careful to keep it away from the endplate screws.

After that cured overnight I CAREFULLY dissembled the motor, clamped it up and painted another coat of thread locker all over it:

Posted Image

Here's the result:

Posted Image

It's not super strong but strong enough to hold together in one lump while I worked on the arm and endplates ;) .

To be continued.......... :)

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#2 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

DC-65X motor :D

I love it !! ;)

Paul Wolcott

#3 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

I think it's a cool idea too Pablo :) .

I used Mr. Mill to get the mounting holes in the "Korrect" place on the motor end plates:

Posted Image

I added some ball bearings to the motor endplates, epoxied and static balance the armature while the motor was apart:

Posted Image

For a front motor mount I made a Russkit 22 style bracket out of 1/8" thick brass. The part sketch doesn't have to be neat...just accurate :laugh2: :

Posted Image

Mr. Mill gets this job too:

Posted Image

Here both brackets are trial fit to the motor:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Time to start soldering :) .

Rick Thigpen

#4 4wheeldrift

4wheeldrift

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

I always liked that particular Pittman. Neat how the mass of the motor magnet will be nicely offset to the left for those counter-clockwise laps of Indy. Keep up the excellent work. Your stuff is always sweet!
David H. Brady, Jr.
The older I get, the faster I was.

#5 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

Sweet indeed :D

Rick, please refresh my memory on where one can obtain those bushing reducers ? I seem to recall somebody had some for sale ?

Paul Wolcott

#6 Duffy

Duffy

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

Rick, please refresh my memory on where one can obtain those bushing reducers ? I seem to recall somebody had some for sale ?

Watchya got in mind?...
Duffy

Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#7 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Wow that will be special when it is done. Here is a picture of mine.
100_6529.JPG
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#8 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

...........Neat how the mass of the motor magnet will be nicely offset to the left for those counter-clockwise laps of Indy........

Thanks David. I hoped to align the motors armature shaft right down the centerline of the body. That would offset the mass of the magnet to the left as you suggest. Perfect for an Indy Car turning left. But, "shes-a-no-work". The width of the motor has to be centered in the body for it to fit. More to come on that ;) .

.......please refresh my memory on where one can obtain those bushing reducers ? I seem to recall somebody had some for sale ?

Hi Pablo. I don't know who might sell them. EJ's used to have some Garvic aluminum jobs but they're not in his current catalog :unsure: .

Watchya got in mind?...
Duffy

Hi Mikey, Duffies are truly amazing and really handy! They can just make things from blocks of metal. An amazing talent ;) :D .

........Here is a picture of mine.

Hey Joe, what do you have that neat Harvey stuffed with....a 36D :shok: :D . It looks like one big motor ;) .

Rick Thigpen

#9 Duffy

Duffy

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hi Mikey, Duffies are truly amazing and really handy! They can just make things from blocks of metal. An amazing talent

Yah, riiiiight, we're like the Underwear Elves of Slots.
So, gimme some dimensions before Pablo busts a vein!
Duffy

Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#10 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hi Duffy,

Here ya go:

Posted Image

If you make these may I have some too please :)

Captain Rick

Rick Thigpen

#11 Duffy

Duffy

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

I hoped to align the motors armature shaft right down the centerline of the body. That would offset the mass of the magnet to the left as you suggest. Perfect for an Indy Car turning left. But, "shes-a-no-work". The width of the motor has to be centered in the body for it to fit. More to come on that/

I was thinking, if you offset the shaft so the crown gears on the car's centerline and the motor shaft is offset...you'd need to revamp your bracket & front faceplate, but it's doable.
OR have someone Duffy-up some Siamese Twin stack plates, and put another magnet on the other side! An "Evelyn/Evelyn" 65!!

Hi Mikey, Duffies are truly amazing and really handy! They can just make things from blocks of metal. An amazing talent

...As I was turning these up today, I suddenly tho't "Doesn't Rikky have a lathe too?" So, I wonder...

Sleeves 1.jpg

So, for those who want 'em, how many sets?
I bored the inner register flat-bottom, making ~.050" wall all over; seemed like a good idea, and it's deep enough that you might be able to trim about an eighth of an inch off the width of the car with a file if you need.
That said, this is custom work, depending on your running gear and your bracket. I'm actually thinking of making some for my Retro builds too, but each application has its own set of dimensions.

Duffy
Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#12 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,187 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

I wonder if Marty Stanley ever put the workings under this one?
5-17-10-Harvey-2.jpg

Nice project Rick!
  • MarcusPHagen likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#13 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

VERY cool project Rick...and that seems like a lot of motor to fit under the Harvey (one of my alltime favorites!). Oh yeah, Noose...that is a drop-dead-gorgeous-Sophia-Lorenesque Harvey if ever I saw one :wub: !

-john
John Havlicek

#14 Marty Stanley

Marty Stanley

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

I wonder if Marty Stanley ever put the workings under this one?

Posted Image

Nice project Rick!

Noose,

I have been sidetracked with some health issues happening.

But when I saw Rick's thread, I moved the project up to the next one to complete.

Thanks for asking.

It is really a nice paint job. Trust me it is nicely protected, waiting for me to complete the already started chassis.
Marty Stanley
1/24/48-2/18/16
Requiescat in Pace

#15 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

...As I was turning these up today, I suddenly tho't "Doesn't Rikky have a lathe too?" So, I wonder...

Hi Mikey,

Your bearing gizmos look great. Yes I have a hobby lathe and I could make a couple of those gizmos for myself. But making them in a real machine shop with a tool room lathe with a nice big spindle to feed the stock thru, digital readouts, collet stops and a plethora of tooling would be much faster. That's what I would do if my work hadn't gone on the cheap and gotten rid of our Wed. night "hobby shop". Oh well....

...and that seems like a lot of motor to fit under the Harvey (one of my all-time favorites!).

It is John but it JUST fits if the bulk of the motor is centered under the engine cover of the body. The body can sit nice and low too. A Harvey just gots ta be LOW :D . The Harvey is one of my all time favorites too ;) .

Here's why:

Posted Image

Look at how LOW it is even compared to the little Lotus. And those wheels and tires! Talk about "low profile" :shok: .

Noose and Marty, man that's one beautiful Harvey :wub: .

Anywho, here's my motor bracket all soldered up with a simple U-brace:

Posted Image

Here's how I soldered up my main rail tubes to the front motor bracket. There is only about .0005" clearance between the tubes and the hole so they would be self aligning. But with lots of acid flux and heat, applying the solder to just the back side of the bracket........

Posted Image

.....the solder still flowed all over the tube to the front of the bracket. I made the bracket 1/8" thick so there would be plenty of metal for the tubes to attach to:

Posted Image

Here's the motor centered in my Rick's Jig before the tubes are soldered to the front axle tube:

Posted Image

Now all we have to say is, "Revell Asymmetrical Chassis" three times really fast and:

Posted Image

I'll let this asymmetrical wonderment sink in for a while :) .

Rick Thigpen

#16 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

Hey Joe, what do you have that neat Harvey stuffed with....a 36D :shok: :D . It looks like one big motor ;) .

Take a looksee for your self. 100_6528.JPG
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#17 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

Yup, the "big dog", a 36D...nice :) . I like the Testors front and rear wheels too ;) . Thanks for the pic Joe....cool car!

Rick Thigpen

#18 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

I would like 3 sets of duffies. :D

Paul Wolcott

#19 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:26 AM

Another fascinating project Rick, thanks for sharing. Of course an Indy car should be asymmetrical, but in fact was the Harvey offset like the roadsters? I don't seem to remember it being so...

Also, that's a great comparison shot of the Harvey with the Lotus-Ford and a Roadster! No wonder all the GP races in the Midwest were dominated by Harvey bodies (and the Lancia-Ferrari too, but lowering that one was cheating a bit...).

Don

#20 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

Interestng build. I don't think I ever saw a 65A installed in an inline format before. With those Harvey Aluminium bodies they are so roomy you could alsomt build an ice skating rink! Thanks for posting it.

#21 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

Of course an Indy car should be asymmetrical, but in fact was the Harvey offset like the roadsters? I don't seem to remember it being so...

Hi Don. The body will be centered between the tires like the real car. The chassis is asymmetrical so I can center the motor within the body....if that makes sense :blink: :D .

....that's a great comparison shot of the Harvey with the Lotus-Ford and a Roadster!

Here are some other shots of just how low the Harvey was:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interestng build. I don't think I ever saw a 65A installed in an inline format before.

I’m not sure I have either Steve. I think I may have seen one in a 4WD 1/32 scale setup. I know that building one of those is on my “to do list”.

I have seen inline rail dragster frames for padlock motors by K&B. I’ve also got a Kemtron chassis kit to mount their X503 inline.

Here’s progress on the project:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The drop arm components....

Posted Image

......and installed (no down stop):

Posted Image

The body mounts:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Assembly time :)

Rick Thigpen

#22 endbelldrive

endbelldrive

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:42 PM

Interestng build. I don't think I ever saw a 65A installed in an inline format before. With those Harvey Aluminium bodies they are so roomy you could alsomt build an ice skating rink! Thanks for posting it.

A couple of us were going through our old mags looking for pics of the earliest drop arm frames and ran into a few inline padlock configurations. (...a few minutes later...) Here ya go, it's from Steve Okeefe's Independent Scratchbuilder website: Drop Arm - First seen: 196? General use: 1964 Obsolete: ~ 1970 Gone: 1973

"Here's a scan (click to enlarge) from the first edition of Model Car & Track, published in the winter of 1963, showing two drag cars, both with drop arms."

Ahoy, full speed ahead Cap'n Rick! :clapping:
Bob Suzuki
8/19/54-8/?/21
Requiescat in Pace

#23 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

I talked with Steve about this, and the first mention of the drop arm - giving its inventors! - was in a Car Craft from about 61. It was already old hat by 1963. Slot or rail drags started early, and I'm sure the drop arm came very early in the drag game...

I've got a bunch of inline chassis with laminated field motors (padlocks if you will), but not sure there are any DC65s in there - the advantage of the DC65 was that it could be used as a sidewinder, even in 1/32!

Very interested to see how this one runs Rick...

Don

PS: Car Craft February 1962, A swinging-arm pickup system for your model road racing machine, by Bob Rolofson, who says he invented it, along with Bill Sippel, Bert Wagner and Voytek Dolinski... But I think the earlier reports of the first R&C drag meet already shows swing pickups. I'm pretty sure I posted a scan of this article somewhere - search for "Voytek"...

#24 Duffy

Duffy

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

I'd post this in "Parts Counter" if I was actually making money at any of it--but:

Pablo & Rikky, your reducers will go out Monday; and I received the Dynamic weight to clone, does it really need the setscrew for what we're doing or are you gonna insist on Peryod-Korrektness?

Duffy
Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#25 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

I need the setscrew because I often use them as "flag nuts"....they work really nice because of the large flat surface.
A normal size axle setscrew instead of the big ones used originally would be fine.

Paul Wolcott

Electric Dreams Online Shop