• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GreyFox

GreyFox

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

I have to admit that I've been lurking on this forum (and others) looking at the various scales available. As a current HO "enthusiast," I'm starting to realize that I can't see the small bits and pieces like I used to, so it's sent me searching for alternatives. 1/43 seems like a good choice (price, size, etc. and should be saved for a different post).

That being said I've also read that the offerings in the scale are increasing but not near what 1/32 or HO currently have. That got me thinking that perhaps the scale is ripe for a few brave souls to scratchbuild their way into the scale, as I think was done back in the early days (I myself wasn't born until '69 so I missed all of the golden era) for 1/32 and 1/24 (I'm still reading about the history).

Now my question: How difficult would it be for some of the legendary scratchbuilders to scale down their designs for 1/43? Or possibly scale any design? It appears that the necessary parts (wheels, axles, motors, etc.) are available and local hobby/hardware stores carry brass and piano wire. I just don't know where to start: wheelbase, width, etc.

BTW, thanks to all the forum participants because without you all I would not have learned as much as I have.

~Greg
Kingston, WA
Greg "the Grey" Fox | Kingston, WA

#2 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hi Greg,

I've been playing around with 1/32 drag cars the past few months and it's fun trying to work out all the problems/details that come from a scale that hasn't seen a lot of attention.

For the wheelbase, track, etc. you would need to start with a 1/43rd body and use it for your measurements. Probably would want to use a 3/4" inline bracket from R-GEO or another source although I'm not sure if the hypoid R-GEO bracket would make chassis clearance a problem with 1/43rd size tires. At this size a "homeset" Falcon or TSR FK-type motor would probably be all that you would want. Good luck!

Don Weaver

Don Weaver
The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

How do you spell "leverage"?

........R-A-N-S-O-M

#3 Superbird

Superbird

Cast your magic spell my way. I promise to go under it.

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hi Greg,

Of course you can scratch build anything in 1/43 if you want. It could be very interesting.

There is a technical difference between most plastic track car designs and 'wood track' 1/24th and 1/32 slot car designs. The wood track cars depend on sponge tires with goop as well as chassis weight and aero devices or wings to create traction. They use car batteries so there is no real limit to power. The plastic track cars depend on magnets to create traction with the scale rubber wheels rather than chassis weight or aerodynamics. Their lightness helps keep them quick. They are limited to transformer power and aren't wired to handle the amperes of a wood track.

In short, the wood track cars aim for the highest possible speed. The plastic track designs balance speed and power to provide a scale like driving experience. Personally I'd like to build an HO or 1/32 wing car with spongy tires and magnets to see how fast I can blow around the little track. It would be fun but I doubt anybody would care.

Superbird

Superbird.

Pete Shreeves

#4 munter

munter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

For a rear bracket I would recommend the BWA rear mini bracket. Failing that AB slotsport in the UK have some small brackets that would work....or make your own.

From what I see on various fora 1/43 scale is on the rise but for the life of me I cannot figure out why....maybe it is the strong link to the diecast scene.

John Warren
Slot cars are my preferred reality

#5 gonzo

gonzo

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

i myself am excited about the growing popularity of 1/43. there a nice size compromise and work great on 1/32 track.the static models in 1/43 are pretty well detailed.maybe that will carry over to slot cars

Hector Gonzalez

#6 Superbird

Superbird

Cast your magic spell my way. I promise to go under it.

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

I've really enjoyed the Carerra "GO" series tracks I've built. I have been enjoying the quality of the tracks, the fun loops and stuff as well as the interesting engineering they put into the tracks to be suited for kids.

A Spiderman set I got (Manhattan Madness) has a new power setup. It has a three-level controller with plunger, plunger limit ring and trigger. A kid can start with a limited travel plunger and stay on the track. Once he can do that, his parents can remove the limit-ring to let him learn breaking around turns. The plunger only provides about half power. The trigger gives full power. In this case the transformer provides 14 volts and the cars really come to life compared to the six volt battery pack. The transformer seems to have an ampere limiter which will stop the current (actually it vibrates)  if it senses a short across the track. Good safety feature but I keeps me from putting 1/32 scale cars on the track. It thinks they are shorting the track and just vibrates. Even so, it is a wonderful design for kids to learn on.

I've seen you-tube videos of little kids learning digital "GO" racing and having a blast!  It is a good lesson to us older folks who think digital is too weird or hard to learn.

I have also noted that the cheap 1/43 sets I used to see in all toy stores are vanishing. The flip side of "GO" is that many parents buy the sets only to return them. Either the kids are fickle about comic book characters or the parents open the box and freak over the complexity of a quality race set. I don't mind too much since I can buy the sets cheap on the clearance isle.

Since the cars are light and have strong magnets they are very fast. I'm modifying tracks now to create roller coaster style 'stadium tracks' like in the Speed Racer movie. I think it is the future of slot racing as well as, maybe someday, real racing.

Superbird

Pete Shreeves

#7 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

[font=Arial]I have to admit that I've been lurking on this forum (and others) looking at the various scales available. As a current HO "enthusiast," I'm starting to realize that I can't see the small bits and pieces like I used to,

I would not let that hold me back ,if I were you I'd get a new pair of reading glasses and not give up on the H.O..
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#8 Lloyd Lewis

Lloyd Lewis

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

Not one of mine I am sorry to say, but a fine 1/43 chassis by Yves Duval

10523312_1566841340205213_79905221085120

10653354_1566841540205193_54823323175902

Here are some of mine from recent years:

001-4_zps4dfb1d1f.jpg

023_zpsc7cb0301.jpg