• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

Slot car racing is set to return to the Springfield, MA, area after a ten+ year absence! After a few near misses we believe we've finally found a great location for our tracks (Ogilvie-made King and Hillclimb). We are going to set up in Chicopee, MA, where we'll have 3,000 sq ft of enclosed space on the ground floor in the Cabotville Industrial Park, complete with plenty of parking. The two million+ square foot complex was named a Historic Site, and is conveniently located near the center of Chicopee with quick and easy access to Rt. 391/Rt 91.

The lease is set to be signed tomorrow and we tentatively expect to be up and running by 12/1. The name of the raceway is the Pioneer Valley Slot Club, a member's club that will occasionally be open to the public (e.g. race days, recruitment). Members will be encouraged to bring friends, who will pay a small track fee to play, applicable towards an annual membership. We want to be active in the slot car community, bring more people back into the hobby, and hope to become a host in the NECC series.

Why have a membership-based raceway? Many track owners have a common complaint: racers don't support their local track. The underlying reason seems to be operating costs for an accessible, visible, and safe location are generally too high to support anentity that earns low $ per square - compared to retail stores that produce far more $/sq' than any track.. For many track owners, track time, parties, and counter sales don't provide sufficient revenue to cover costs. One of the key points in our plan to keep this raceway viable over a longer term (to have place to play with our toy cars) was to secure a space that fit our budget. It has taken some time, but we are finally happy. PVSC members support the raceway by joining; low overhead greatly reduces the reliance on the sale of part/supplies; raceway sticks around long term!

Area raceways have come and gone over the years leaving racers with pix boxes full of stuff, the desire to race, but nowhere local to race. In our case, area racers have to drive over an hour to the nearest raceway. This is fine for events, but for many it ends up being a lot of driving for practice/tuning, and many racers eventually drop out. Once again, local racers will have a place to resume their hobby. Going through this process, one of the most common comments we hear is, "I've got to see that! Let me know when it's up and running." That tells us there are lots of people out there who've never seen a large commercial slot car track just waiting to be hooked. Posted Image

We'll post pics of our progress, as we get started painting/cleaning the space (this week).

Feel free to write/PM for more details.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#2 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Lease is signed, so we're ready to get going. Will take pics from beginning to end and post them as we make progress. More to come!

Change to previous post: We are shooting for 11/1 opening day!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#3 Dominator

Dominator

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

That's awesome news!

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo

Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#4 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:49 PM

Thanks, Dominic!

Spent a long day scraping paint, vacuuming dust, and clearing cobwebs. We've made enemies of a few spiders, that's for sure. These old factories were made to last forever, the sub-flooring (ceiling) is 4" thick hardwood. Another week of removing flaking paint and we'll be ready to spray our hearts out. Will post pix tomorrow...

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#5 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

Finally got some time to get some pix to post, so here goes!

View from the main door looking in:

Day-1-01.jpg

And a panoramic view of the room, made from two pictures. Next time will setup on a tripod...

panorama.jpg

The room is 40' wide x 75' long, which is 3,000 sq'. The King will go on the right side and the Hillclimb on the left. There's plenty of room for driver's pits, and we'll drop lots of AC so people can plug in soldering irons, etc. We're aiming to be finished by next Sunday with removing loose paint from the ceiling, removing long unused screws and nails, cleaning up the drywall, and masking all sorts of stuff so we can start painting on Monday. We'll be using a HVLP sprayer so it should only take 1 day to finish the ceiling and walls. Once that is done, the floor gets a freshly rolled on coat of paint. When all is sufficiently dry, we'll cart the tracks in and start making them ready for racing. The King will need the most work, and since the Hillclimb needs almost nothing it will go up first.

More to come!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#6 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

In the morning, we exfoliated another span of the ceilng and took down all sorts of things hanging from it. After lunch, we cut out five of the six pipes that ran along the right side (75'). Good thing we had a Sawzall. The pipes were solid steel and were used for the old steam heating system, so they were not needed. When they were cut open, they'd release. either clear or black, sooty water that we collected in buckets. One pipe that runs below the windows was left so we could secure various cables (including one Romex) that were mixed in amongst the pipes. Now that the pipes are down it's a lot brighter, and we can open the windows as well as clean them. I'll take another picture tomorrow and post it after we finish for the day.

Here's the first draft of the club logo:

pvsc-logo.png

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#7 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

Picture showing yesterday's progress:

Day-2.jpg

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#8 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:00 PM

Progress today included cleaning up the filth on the floor from the steam pipes, stringing the communication and power wires to the remaining steam pipe, painting the walls with Killz, and also started masking the yellow gas pipes:

Day-3.jpg

Tomorrow we paint the columns, i-beams, windows, exposed brick, and the office walls with Killz, complete the masking of the yellow gas pipes, tie up the remaining wires & cable, and then continue exfoliating the ceiling. A friend has offered their compressor, so by Thursday we'll have two of them for blasting the loose paint from the ceiling.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#9 hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

Nice to see a new track going up in this area.
Larry Swift

#10 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:46 PM

Nice to see a new track going up in this area.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing racers on the tracks, too, It will be the first time in a long while this area has had slot racing. :)

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#11 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

Started the day by sweeping the floor, picking up stray paint chips and dirt/dust that has lain there for quite some time. Primed the columns and the bases, primed 3 of the 4 windows and surrounding brickwork; finished priming the office area and took up the stinky, nasty indoor/outdoor carpet. Tomorrow we'll finish priming the windows, prime the walls all the way down to the floor, and scale/paint the i-bars. By then the improvement in appearance will be noticeable. Unfortunately, our landlord is away for a few days and doesn't want us doing anything with the ceiling for fear of disturbing a sprinkler head (major hassle with the fire department if that happens). So, we'll finish paint the office if we run out of things to do. Pix tomorrow!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#12 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

Yesterday, we finished priming the walls, including the brickwork, and got the windows cleaned off and primed. It's amazing how much brighter the room got! We didn't get to the i-beams, but that is next up on the list. Here's another composite picture showing the progress to date:

Day-5.jpg

Once the beams are painted, we can continue prepping the ceiling. Still on track to blast the room for Tuesday!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#13 Pete13

Pete13

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:56 PM

In the morning, we exfoliated another span of the ceilng and took down all sorts of things hanging from it. After lunch, we cut out five of the six pipes that ran along the right side (75'). Good thing we had a Sawzall. The pipes were solid steel and were used for the old steam heating system, so they were not needed. When they were cut open, they'd release. either clear or black, sooty water that we collected in buckets. One pipe that runs below the windows was left so we could secure various cables (including one Romex) that were mixed in amongst the pipes. Now that the pipes are down it's a lot brighter, and we can open the windows as well as clean them. I'll take another picture tomorrow and post it after we finish for the day.

Here's the first draft of the club logo:

pvsc-logo.png

I personally like the logo, it's brite but not over the top, and I can not wait till you get everything up and running, thank you for bringing slot car racing back to this area!
Peter Fontaine

#14 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

I personally like the logo, it's brite but not over the top, and I can not wait till you get everything up and running, thank you for bringing slot car racing back to this area!

Thanks, Pete! I'm thinking of changing the oval in the background to the silhouette of a race car; overall, not much different. :) We're excited to see slot racing back in this area again - everyone we've talked to is psyched!

Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#15 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

Today we finished priming the beams, final coats of drywall repairs, and masked the remaining gas pipes and a few other things. Below is progress to date:

10-05-2011.jpg

First thing tomorrow the sprinkler heads will be wrapped, the lights will be covered and we'll let loose on the ceiling with the HVLP sprayer.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#16 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

We got the ceiling done, and it only took ~25 gallons of paint. Didn't have time to take pix as I'm headed off on vacation tomorrow until 10/16. However, I will have access to a computer, and my brother (& partner) promised to send phone pix to me. So, I will no doubt be posting progress even while away. I have to say, it looks quite a bit brighter and cleaner in there. While I'm gone, the drywall repairs will be completed, the walls will be painted an off-white, and the floor will be whatever color the landlord (and good guy) gives us. The office should also be completed, with new lock sets put on the doors and maybe some solid core doors, too.

By the time I'm back, we'll be bringing track in and getting it all set up for turning some laps!

Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#17 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

Taking those old pipes off the wall really makes the place look better. You guys do good work..........
Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#18 Alchemist

Alchemist

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

That's awesome Henry! I'm excited for you and excited to see another track being put up for racing instead of being taken down!

Can't wait for more pix!

Thank you.

Ernie
Ernie Layacan

#19 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

Taking those old pipes off the wall really makes the place look better. You guys do good work..........

Yes, it really made a difference! The complex manager commented on how good it looked now with the sun coming in through visible, clean windows. He said he was thinking of having everyone on the south facing side do the same thing. Oh boy... One time he dropped in after I had painstakingly wrapped the gas pipes in blue tape, and asked "who wrapped the pipes?" I thought he was chiding me for being a perfectionist, but he smilingly said "I want to hire you!" We all had a good laugh over it... Seriously tho, my brother is the one with a degree in light construction and has worked in the trade for years, accumulating the tools and learning numerous trade "secrets" along the way. Those pipes would have been brutal without a sawzall and special steel cutting blades. We had to cut them out in sections, but it only took us about three hours. That being said, it was filthy, nasty work that I am not particularly anxious to repeat.

Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#20 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

That's awesome Henry! I'm excited for you and excited to see another track being put up for racing instead of being taken down!

Can't wait for more pix!

Thank you.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie!

The space next to us is a courier service, and the owner was walking by as I was masking something. After some chatting about the rehab, he asked what we doing. When I told him slot cars he had a BIG smile on his face and started asking how much, etc. Once he sees cars buzzing around the tracks... I think the time is right around here for a quality raceway!

Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#21 spudboy

spudboy

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Good luck with your renovations. It is good news to learn another raceway is coming to New England. I hope your buiness model is right and I wish you much success.
Nate "spudboy" Bemis

#22 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Good luck with your renovations. It is good news to learn another raceway is coming to New England. I hope your buiness model is right and I wish you much success.

Thanks! Things are going well so far. Below is a picture from this morning, before we removed more masking tape and painted the floor around the perimeter:

10-18-2011.jpg

Tomorrow morning we'll roll the floor with paint. We're using an oil based paint, which will take a few days of drying before we can walk on it. As a result, I don't expect to move stuff in over this weekend. Most likely it will be the following weekend before we start moving track over. It's going to take two trips with a 28' truck to get everything moved. The space is about six miles from where the track has been stored, which means we won't be racking up a lot of miles. Luckily, my brother-in-law drives for a local company and has access to such a truck so our expenses will be low (fuel and food). Will take another pic just before the floor is finished and hopefully post it tomorrow night!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#23 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

Well, we started rolling paint on the floor this morning. The complex manager had given us four 5 gallon metal buckets of oil-based paint to do the floor. One bucket was pretty smooshed up so he asked that we use that one first. It was a lovely shade of Battleship Grey. We ran out of that bucket about 2/3 of the way through the floor. When we opened up another bucket we found it was Olive Drab, not Battleship Grey. All three remaining buckets were Olive Drab. We had no choice but to finish the floor in green. If it's sufficiently dry tomorrow morning we'll roll another coat of green over the entire floor, which will at least leave the floor all one color. If we do paint tomorrow I'll take a pic and post it. It's always something, eh?

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#24 Dominator

Dominator

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

Sounds like your making great progress Henry! Can't wait till your up and running.

Dominic Luongo

#25 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

Sounds like your making great progress Henry! Can't wait till you're up and running.

Hi Dominic,

Yes indeed, we are making progress. The Battleship Gray didn't dry as quickly as the lovely Olive Drab, which means we won't get the second coat of paint on the floor until Monday. So, here's a pic of the two tone floor:

10-22-2011.jpg

Have to say it looks tons better than it did when we started and it will look just a little better once we get the floor painted in a single color. We are planning on moving track in next weekend!

Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#26 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

Good news! The floor is all one color now, but it will take a few days to cure. We'll start moving things that won't take a big truck on Wednesday. The track will be moved over this weekend and then the fun begins.
Posted Image

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#27 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

Checked the floor this afternoon and it looks dry. We decided to wait until tomorrow to start moving the little stuff. My brother in law said he's 99.9% sure the truck will be available for Saturday, which is when the tracks will be transported over. Really looking forward to putting things together.
Posted Image

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#28 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

We first started moving the King track into the truck at 10:30am and unloaded the last section of the Hillclimb at 2:00pm. By then, the snow was coming down pretty well. My brother and I did the labor moving the King into it's new home, but we had two helpers for the Hillclimb. Overall, four and a half hours to move two good sized tracks (7-8 miles) is not so bad. I was too tired to take pix, so they'll have to wait until tomorrow. Progress is being made.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#29 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

Having moved a coouple tracks years ago I woould say that was record time!

#30 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

Internet, directv, and phone are out here - though we do have power! Leeching internet from a neighbor to write this :) Started to setup the Hillclimb and realized it's best that we rebraid it. I have plenty of braid to get started with and will have another spool on the way shortly. Will post pix tomorrow!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#31 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

Here is picture of room the with tracks in various stages of assembly:
11-05-2011.jpg
The Hillclimb will be pushed up against the wall to the left, leaving plenty of room for drivers; the King will fit nicely on the right side of the room.

Here's a look at the Hillclimb hairpin turn after the driver stations:
Hillclimb-hairpin.jpg
There was a fair amount of braid that pulled up with no effort, exposing old, crusty adhesive tape - not contact cement. The tape flaked off easily and I could see the gains had been painted; it was obvious this track was living on it's original braid (circa 1996). Gotta love Ogilvie tracks, eh? There will be no need to mess with the gains other than to clear off the old tape. Once we install new braid and put a fresh coat of paint on the outer walls, it'll be almost as good as new.

Last pic for today is a look at the Hillclimb roughly laid out (less the overhead sections):
Hillclimb.jpg
By the time I took this one, I had cleaned off a few sections using a naptha dampened rag. Well, several rags... Needless to say, they looked a lot better afterwards!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#32 Alchemist

Alchemist

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

HI Henry,

I'm very excited for you and the progress you're making!! Hope the weather gets better for you!

Thanks for posting the pix!

Ernie
Ernie Layacan

#33 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

HI Henry,

I'm very excited for you and the progress you're making!! Hope the weather gets better for you!

Thanks for posting the pix!

Ernie

Hey Ernie, thanks for the kind wishes. We've had the most unusual weather this year - tornado, hurricane, earthquake, freak snowstorm. What's next, locusts?

Today I removed more than 1/2 the old braid on the Hillclimb. I'll finish up tomorrow and set to work carefully peeling off the old tape. Once done, I'll start laying new braid - until I run out of what I have. I've got 2000' more coming sometime next week, which should be plenty to finish the job. I had thought about using naptha thinned contact cement to attach the new braid (it seems like it would stand up better to cleaning solvents), but after seeing how long the old braid lasted and how cleanly it came off (no damage to the gains) I decided to go the 3M tape route. Should be all done with that chore by the end of next week, depending on when the tape & braid arrive.

In the likely downtime, I'll work on setting up the computer interface, however I don't think I'll use the original software that came with the track, which has race management and time sell module, because I never got the password for the time sell module *AND* I think it only runs in DOS. TrackMate works well on my home track and I read somewhere the board should interface with it, so I guess I'll find out!

Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#34 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

All the braid has been stripped from the Hillclimb. It took longer to finish than I expected. Part of the delay was because the previous owner used contact cement on the long overhead straight. I've been looking for the Klean Strip adhesive remover, but in MA my only choice is to mail order it. The Xylene does a decent job of softening the adhesive, but I don't know if it will soften it enough for me to scrape it out. The majority of the track used the 3M tape to secure the braid, and some of it was dry so it flaked off easily. The remaining tape is dry on top, but sticky enough on the other side so it holds tightly to the painted gains. It takes a lot of time to carefully remove the sticky tape without taking up the paint beneath. That means either I've got another week of tape removal - or - I find the right solvent to lift it off.

Has anyone encountered - and solved this one? Maybe Slot Car Corner might know, as they sell it. Hmmm.... This track is assembled from 13 sections.

Anyway, I'm almost done with the main driver's panel straight, and have started on the hairpin and following straight. When those three are clear, I'll touch up the gains, wait a day, lay tape, then braid. I don't think I'll finish tomorrow (maybe not even start), but I'll post pictures of the progress late this weekend. :)

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#35 Dominator

Dominator

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

If you have good ventilation use some goof-off. Let it set for about 10-15 minutes then it should peel up easily.

Dominic Luongo

#36 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

If you have good ventilation use some goof-off. Let it set for about 10-15 minutes then it should peel up easily.

Well, I tried professional strength Goof-Off and while it makes it easier it doesn't make it easy. I made it through two straight sections yesterday and expect to finish up at least another section today. I think I'll head to Home Depot to see if they have an assortment of adhesive removers.

Here's a shot of clean gains:
11-13-2011-2.jpg

And here's how I have things arranged to work on the track:
11-13-2011-1.jpg

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#37 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

The Zylene and Goof-Off gave off noxious fumes and really didn't do a great job of dissolving the adhesive tape or contact cement. Removal was slow and left me looking at the remaining sections of track and thinking my future had many boring weeks ahead of me. In a previous trip, the Home Depot guy had no idea what would work (like counter guys never have to remove contact cement goobers). On the off chance the Home Depot guy didn't know what he was talking about, I scoured the aisles and found this:

11-16-2011-01.jpg

Citristrip. It was $33+ for a gallon, but if it worked it was worth the price. The first thing I noticed was that there were virtually no noxious fumes, so there was no need to wear a respirator, just a face mask. Plus, it cleans up with soap and water. Since it was a gel I started applying it with a brush, but it wasn't a very thick gel and brushing was an excruciating slow ordeal. In the end that method didn't leave a heavy or consistent enough deposit to fully lift up the tape, requiring a second application. There had to be an easier way! After trying a few different applicators I settled on a hair dye applicator. I nipped a bit off the end to make a larger opening so the remover could flow freely, but not too freely. While the instructions say to wait 1-3 hours before trying to remove the adhesive, overnight works best. Here's the hairpin after the driver's stations, all cleaned up:

11-16-2011-02.jpg

Here's a closer look of the adhesive free gains:

11-16-2011-03.jpg

There are now three sections completely free of glue, and another 4-1/2 sitting overnight. In the morning I'll strip the loose tape off, apply more on stubborn spots, and apply remover to at least 3 more sections. Here's a closeup look at the tape lifting:

11-16-2011-04.jpg

When I got home, there were two packages waiting. One box contained 2,000' of braid; in the other were two brand new 75A Rivergate/Iota power supplies. Still looking good for a 12/1 opening!

Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#38 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

Things are going quite well with the Citristrip. After pulling up the softened tape, gently scrape up the dirt and gel. Using a damp rag, rinse off the surface (including gains); go over again with a clean rag; rinse once with a naptha dampened rag; let dry. Tomorrow, I'll pull the tape from 1) the long overhead straight and, (2) the turn coming out of the high bank, with three driver panels. The last piece is the lead in to the overhead straight. By Sunday, there won't be any tape left on the track! Then on to touching up the gains and the surface...

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#39 Dominator

Dominator

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

Sounds like your making some great progress Henry.

Dominic Luongo

#40 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

Sounds like your making some great progress Henry.

Thanks, Dominic. Once I found the right solvent and application method it was much easier. I ended up ditching the hair dye applicator as the Citristrip slowy ate away at the applicator tip. A trip to Michael's netted a 2 pack of candy making applicators for around $5. I also learned that tilting the bottle in the direction you are trying to cover does not work as well as tilting the bottle behind the direction of travel. With the tip forward and gently squeezing the bottle you can build up a nice bit of solvent in front as you move forward. The result is an even layer of solvent, and less solvent used.

Tomorrow I'll be done with the adhesive stripping. I figure one person could strip adhesive from a track like this (105') in 3-4 days, assuming they used this method. So long as the gains were painted the process results in a perfectly clean surface to lay new tape on.

My back has been complaining with all this bending over, and I learned to arch my back to make my legs shoulder most of the burden. Much easier.

Next week will be a braid fest. :)

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#41 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Henry,
Are you doing this all by yourself or do you have friends helping?
That's a lot of work my friend! I've been following this thread since you started,
and can't get over the amount of work you've gotten done!

The place is going to be great once you get it set up the way you want it!

Vic
Alright, who cut the cheese?

#42 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

Vic,

I've had expert help with the room rehab (my brother/partner). But, since he's been out of town since work started on the Hillclimb, stripping the old braid and the adhesive has fallen to me. He'll be back on Tuesday, so I'll have help for taping and braiding. I expect to be done with that task by the end of this week and moving on to assembly and power wiring. That is, unless we don't decidoloe to repaint the track surface. Speaking of paint, I read a thread where Gary Gerding named his top two favorite paints to use: Rust-Oleum 5300 epoxy paint & activator (readily available from Grainger $79/gallon); and Sherwin Williams Tile-Clad epoxy paint system (we have many local stores). The Rust-Oleum doesn't offer gray, so I would likely use black or see if someone local can/will tint gloss white. While I'm at it will also call one of the SW stores to find one that carries the commercial line, and then get price, availability, and color options.

It's been a lot of work so far, but the fun will start when it's up and running!

Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#43 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

I think Gary used an epoxy on our track, but I can't remember if it was Sherwin Williams or not. Whatever one he did use has good bite, and is very durable.

It's all going to be worth it when your finished Henry, and you'll take a lot of pride in it knowing the amount of work that it took.
Best of luck to you, and thanks for posting your progress .

Vic

#44 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

I think Gary used an epoxy on our track, but I can't remember if it was Sherwin Williams or not. Whatever one he did use has good bite, and is very durable.

It's all going to be worth it when your finished Henry, and you'll take a lot of pride in it knowing the amount of work that it took.
Best of luck to you, and thanks for posting your progress .

Vic

I read some of the threads about paint. Gary's top two choices were:
  • Sherwin Williams Tile-Clad (for Kings and banked tracks)
  • Rust-Oleum 5300(for flat or smaller scale tracks)
The Rust-Oleum 5300 is less expensive (~$79/gallon), but the color palette is limited. Black, white, blue, tan, etc., but no gray. The special NavyGray is $162/gallon (ouch).
The Sherwin Williams Tile-Clad has been discontinued and replaced with the Pro Industrial product High Performance Epoxy (~$100 w/activator and reducer). Plus, they have plenty of nice color options.

Both products are readily available, but the SW product is on the shelf at the store and will be color mixed on the spot. It's in stock at WW Grainger's web site and I haven't gone to a local store, so while the website said it would ship within 1 day, it might be in stock. The color choices available with the Sherwin Williams make it a winner for me. They have a shade called Graphite that is a near identical match to the OEM color. If I could get someone to tint the white Rust-Oleum for me, that could work...

Here's the quandary: Do I paint it now while there's no braid on it, or do I wait until the new braid I'm about to install wears out? Seems to me it would make mountains of sense to paint it now. It's in the perfect state for painting, save for sanding the surface to give the paint something to adhere to.

Thing is, we'd like to open for 12/1, but the epoxy paint takes 14 days at 50F-77F to fully cure - or 3 days at 100F (not going to happen). That would set us back about a week, but might be worth it in the long run...

Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#45 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

Henry, unless your existing racing surface is in excellent shape, I'd sand & paint it now before laying any new braid. An additional week or two in opening will seem nothing, especially after you've been open for 2 or 3 years. :)

Bill Fernald

You have to be odd to be #1. :laugh2: 

#46 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Henry, unless your existing racing surface is in excellent shape, I'd sand & paint it now before laying any new braid. An additional week or two in opening will seem nothing, especially after you've been open for 2 or 3 years. :)

Bill,

I think I've talked myself into repainting the surface. The sacrifice in time to open looks to be well worth it!

Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#47 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

Henry,
I agree with Bill, now's the time to paint it. Also, you might want to send Gary G a PM about the paint.
Just to double check. He usually keep an eye on whats going on here, and is very good at getting back to you.

14 days cure time seems a bit excessive to me?

Vic

#48 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Henry,
I agree with Bill, now's the time to paint it. Also, you might want to send Gary G a PM about the paint.
Just to double check. He usually keep an eye on whats going on here, and is very good at getting back to you.

14 days cure time seems a bit excessive to me?

Vic

The track is going to be repainted! The SW epoxy color "graphite" is a perfect match to the OEM color, so I'll go get it tomorrow. My brother is back, so I'll have help scuffing the surface, painting, laying tape, and laying braid. The cure time is for full hardness, where it can take the abuse of every day racing. The usage chart and times are supposed to be the same as the SW Tile-Clad. I'm willing to take the extra time if it needs it. It's going to be sweet when it's all done!

Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#49 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

Another delay... The SW epoxy paint won't be here until Tuesday, so we'll use the time to prep the track surface. Brian at Ogilvie recommended orbital sanding with 200 grit should be used to scuff the surface, including the lane stripes. When we're done with that, each section will be wiped with alcohol soaked rags and then wiped dry. There might even be time to paint the exterior walls (flat black) before we get to the track surface.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#50 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Spent a few hours vacuuming the fine dust from the track surface. Also wiped the track with a naptha dampened rag to clean the gains, removing any particles or traces of goo from races past. Next step is an alcohol bath to get things squeaky clean and ready for paint. Here are a few shots of the sanded and cleaned track:

11-26-2011-01.jpg

11-26-2011-03.jpg

11-26-2011-02.jpg

At the same time, my brother removed the hardware from the driver station deck so it can be repainted.

He also started working on the King track. First thing was to remove the boxes that served as driver stations. A while back we discovered that the previous owner had done a terrible thing, with good intentions - he routed the gains smooth, but in so doing they became hideously deep. Like almost 1/8" deep. I did some research on thicker braid, found a supplier - even got a few samples - but even so, not enough to come close to spec. This is an old Ogilvie, made before they began rubber stamped the bottoms with their name instead of using magic marker. It will be a shame if this King track can't be restored to reasonable racing specs. We're considering a variety of ways to shim the gains, but haven't settled on anything yet. Any thoughts from anyone out there?

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

Electric Dreams Online Shop