• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#101 Larry Labounty

Larry Labounty

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

Henery, My first time I enter that way, was on the side facing Red Fez. I did ask acouple guys if they knew anything about the track coming. No one did. Is dock 1 on that side or the back side closer to the river. Looking forward to meeting you.
Regards Larry

#102 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Larry,

Dock 1 is on the back side, closer to the river and the bridge (which will be closed for 2-1/2 yrs). Another way to go is to stay on Center St. until you hit Front St. (in front of the river), which bears left before the bridge. Stay on Front St. until Depot. St (there's a stop sign). Turn right and follow the same route under 391 to the rear entrance (sharp right turn).

Will see you there soon, no doubt! I have only the high bank left to tape before I start washing & cutting braid. My goal is to finish the last section tomorrow so I can start fresh on Monday with the braid. From doing my home track (the figure 8), I remember it taking a very long time to tape and a whole lot less time to actually install the braid. Should be setting the track in place by Wednesday and working on connecting power and testing the hardware interface. The interface connects to the computer via parallel port and the software that came with the is Auto Trak, which runs in DOS. Not sure it would run properly in Windows, but since I don't have an installation disk and the my only copy is on an IBM AT running DOS - I'll never know. :) I'll try a parallel to serial adapter to see if TrackMate recognizes the interface. If not, I'll get a TrackMate adapter.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#103 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

Bummer Larry, I did stop by Friday about 11 to check on Henry's progress track is looking really nice.. and i'd have to agree the entrance by the river is very tight also not to easy to see when you pull out..
giggty giggty Let's Go Racing

#104 BigDog

BigDog

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hi Henry,

I'm just stopping by to congratulate you for your efforts: I know what it means to clean up a space and then install a slot car track - although our track was built and surely we weren't as thorough and careful as you've been with the Hillclimb and the "Red" King - both beautiful tracks, BTW!

So as not to hijack your most awesome Thread, I'm just gonna attach two pics of our facility - at the beginning and today. It only goes to show what a little money and a lotta elbow grease can achieve! Keep up the amazing job your doing on your tracks and space: most slotters only dream of a place like the Pioneer Valley Slot Club!

Cheers!
Fernao

Attached Images

• DSC00629.JPG
  • cig_vista sul 1_rzd.JPG

Fernão Carbonar
"Sometimes slow is fast..."

#105 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

Fernao,

That's quite the transformation there! I especially like the window and how the lovely Brazilian outdoor landscape looks like a beautiful picture. That's a sweet looking flat track, too! Originally had hoped to put up a flat track, but I could not find one within our price range. Who knows? If things go well and the club grows there may well be a flat track in our future. :)

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#106 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

Finished the 3M tape application. It goes down incredibly quickly in the straights, but takes quite a while on the curves - especially the inside curves. There, you really need to take your time and lay it down an inch at a time to avoid wrinkles in the tape. It is very important to clean the surface thoroughly with alcohol for proper bonding. Also, resist the impulse to pull on the tape. The pointer finger on the roll or tape hand lines up the tape. In tight curves, line up the tape and with the other hand press down close to the tape finger and press back towards the line of adhered tape. The tape will lay smooth and avoid stretching the tape.

It's better to measure twice and cut once, so I measured each lane again using a vinyl sewing tape dropped into the slot. On the way home today, I stopped into Home Depot for a gallon of acetone to be used for degreasing the braid, which will sit until it is dry. I'll set the braid spool up with a rod through the center and run the braid through an acetone bath, then cut and set to dry. I've laid out a canvas tarp for the braid pieces to dry. Figuring in a foot extra at each section for the drops, the driver station connection, and the dead strip, we'll use almost exactly 2,000' of braid. I have another few hundred feet in case anything goes wrong.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#107 BigDog

BigDog

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Wow Henri,
That surely is a lotta work: makes me very happy to have chosen copper tape for our track! B) But your tracks are very different from our's specially as to the cars that'll race on them - we race mostly replicas with no mags on.

Doing all that work alone is another thing that impresses me: we had at least 5 to 10 persons working together each time we rallyed to the warehouse, which made things easier and more fun. Kudos to you, again! :good:

I'll be keeping a close watch on this very cool Thread!!! :popcorm1:

Cheers!
Fernao
Fernão Carbonar
"Sometimes slow is fast..."

#108 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

Spent today cutting braid. Things would have gone faster if one side of the spool hadn't fallen off after I'd cut braid for turn #1 and part of another (about 100' in of a 1,000' roll). I ended up holding the spool in one hand and spooling the braid off with the other, one rotation at a time, walking down the room. I figured it would be easiest to burn the rest of the way through the nasty spool by cutting braid for all the straights. Tedious and repetitious. :) But, finished that and managed to get part way into the 2nd spool when there was no staging room left. So, I rinsed a few sections worth of braid in acetone and laid it out to dry. The stuff evaporates pretty quickly, but I let it dry for an hour, just to be safe. Running late, I still managed to braid one section, the lead-in to the overhead return straight. The braid roller was well worth the investment as it smoothed the braid out as it pressed it into the adhesive. The braid ends were wrapped around the section ends (following the channels) and then stapled to bottom of the section joint.

Pictures tomorrow...

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#109 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

As promised, I've got new pictures of the progress on the braiding. Somehow, I worked on the website into the wee hours of the morning and needed to get some sleep before venturing off to the track. I cut a few more sections worth of braid, braided another section, and set up a larger staging area for the braid.

In anticipation of this project, I bought a braid roller. I wanted one when I did the home track, but couldn't justify the expense. It does make it easier to press the braid into the 3M adhesive, which is a daily chore for several days. In the process, the braid gets smoothed out pretty well.
01-12-2012-d.jpg

Here's the lead-in to the freshly braided overhead straightaway:
01-12-2012-a.jpg

A view from the end, where the braid wraps around and is stapled underneath. Note the extra length, which will either be trimmed, connected to the adjacent section w/wire nuts, or connected to a tap.
01-12-2102-c.jpg

Here's the staging area, with six sections of braid awaiting their acetone bath:
01-12-2012-b.jpg

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#110 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Things going more slowly than I'd hoped, but still making decent progress. I have five more sections to install braid: the donut (2 pieces), the high bank, the lead-in with 3 driver's stations, and the main driver station section. All the braid is cut, and will rinse it in acetone tomorrow morning before installing in the afternoon. Planning on bringing my son to be a helper, so maybe I can finish up late Monday. However, based on past experience, it will probably take until Tuesday morning. Still, I'd rather go slowly and do it right, than hurry and make mistakes.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#111 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

Slow is fast or at least that's what I've heard Herny , sound and looks like your making progress.. I've been remodeling my hobby room so been busy here new sheetrock and ceiling almost done. Cant wait to put down some laps..

#112 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

Had my son with me today, who was a great help. In the morning we washed braid for another three sections, which went much faster with two people. While I applied the braid, he touched up painting misses on the inner and outer walls, painted the support legs for the overhead sections, and also put a second coat on the driver's deck. I'm going to have to glue rubber mats on to not only help protect the deck, but also to cover up an old mug ring (coffee?) that kept reappearing after every coat. I sanded that ring off during prep, but it must have bled through the paint and into the MDF.

Anyway, there are now only two sections left to braid: the lead-out from the high bank (3 driver stations), and Main St. (5 driver stations and dead strip). The braid is all cut and awaiting the acetone bath tomorrow morning. We'll clean the scuffed cove molding on the turns while the braid dries. Each section takes nearly an hour to braid and staple underneath, which means we stand a good chance of setting the track in place and assembling it all together tomorrow afternoon. Good times!

Here is a photo of some freshly braided track:
01-16-2012-a.jpg

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#113 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

Spent an hour or so working on the braid slots in the joints. The holes for the braid are drilled out, but there's no guarantee the hole will be evenly centered between the two sections. Sometimes, the vertical slots were nearly enclosed in one section end. To make it easy to set up the Hillclimb with the back straights against the wall, it was necessary to trim the vertical slots to accept mating with the next section of track. Otherwise, the braid from a lane (or more) from one section would either be crushed - or, more likely prevent the sections from seating properly.

Despite that diversion, progress was made. My son finished painting the overhead supports and assisted me as I braided the lead-out and two lanes of Main St. That section is a little more time consuming than the others because of the dead strip and driver hookups. However, I'm confident the track will be moved into place and assembly will commence tomorrow. Notice I didn't say completed. One thing I have learned from all this is to realize what every project manager knows, it takes longer than you think to achieve complex goals.

:)

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#114 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

While things continue to progress more slowly than anticipated, there has been noticeable movement. It took several hours to braid Section 13 because there was a lot of stapling required underneath to neatly bypass the dead strip. I'm happy to say, except for the dead strips, braiding is completed! By 3:30pm, we were starting to bolt sections together. All the prep work on the end braid channels really paid off as sections were meshing smoothly. I wanted to finish putting the track together, but it was already past 6pm and time to go eat dinner. Below are a few pictures of today's progress:

01-18-2012-a.jpg

01-18-2012-b.jpg

01-18-2012-c.jpg

01-18-2012-d.jpg

Tomorrow morning we'll bolt the remaining four sections together. In addition to pictures of that progress, I'll also take some of the underside wiring. There's plenty of braid hanging from the joints, which will make it easy to trim and pigtail with wirenuts. I believe there was a tap on the lower straight, and maybe another one somewhere. In the afternoon the driver's stations will be wired up and connected to the track. By end of day I should have a good idea how I'm going to wire power and the computer interface. There are two brand new Iota 75A supplies, and a 75A supply that came with the track - 225A in total, which works out to 28A+ per lane. The 1 farad capacitor will help filter any stray AC ripple and, if needed, provide extra power at startup. Among the goodies that came with this track was a voltage adjusting setup - heat sink loaded with TO-3 devices, a switch, and a potentiometer. Not sure I will use it, but who knows?

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#115 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Here's the Hillclimb, all sections assembled!

01-19-2012.jpg

Forgot to take underside pictures today. I had to run out to tend to other business and was in a hurry to get going.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#116 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Congrats Henry, for all your hard work setting the Hillclimb looks Fantastic looks like we will be turning some laps real soon..

#117 Dominator

Dominator

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Looks great, nicely done.

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo

Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#118 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Thanks, Bob & Dom!

It sure is nice seeing it all come together after all this time! Here are a few more pictures of the progress:
01-20-2012-a.jpg

01-20-2012-c.jpg

Haven't pigtailed the sections together, but here's what the drops look like. Plenty of length to work with!
01-20-2012-d.jpg

View of the dead strip section before connections are made:
01-20-2012-b.jpg

Have my work cut out for me this weekend, between wirenutting the sections together, setting up the power, and connecting/testing the lap counter. If all goes well, cars will be making a few laps by Sunday!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#119 Larry Labounty

Larry Labounty

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Henery,All I can say is all the time you have taken to do it right an not rush it . Is surly paying off . They will be great tracks to run on. My hat is off to you an your family .

#120 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Henery,All I can say is all the time you have taken to do it right an not rush it . Is surly paying off . They will be great tracks to run on. My hat is off to you an your family .

I'd have to second that Larry.. it's a lot of dedicated work..

#121 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

All the sections are trimmed and pigtailed as shown below:

01-25-2012-a.jpg

Here's how it looks beneath the overhead straights:

01-25-2012-b.jpg

The driver stations are nearly assembled, waiting on black/red/white washers.

01-25-2012-c.jpg

Using some cool rubber mat I found at Home Depot, I made protectors for the top surface of the driver stations. I'll either use carpet tape or 3M tape leftovers to secure them. Each driver station was outfitted with an electrical outlet for rental controllers. The cover plates were painted the lane color, but not sure I'm going to do that - though it would be cheap and easy. :) The controller holders (not installed yet) were also painted the corresponding lane color, but the paint didn't wear well. Perhaps I'll sand them down to bare aluminum and paint the lower halves, where the controllers are less likely to scrape the paint.

01-25-2012-d.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll make the connections from the driver panels to their respective drops from the surface. I should also have time to complete the lap timer hookup. If things go well, I can get started on track power, otherwise will start that on Friday. Last step after power is testing the lap timer and software. Then, it's time to run a few hundred test laps!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#122 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

Henry, your track and workmanship look great!!!

I have one suggestion though - the plugs are a good idea for the rental controllers but you should use a non-standard plug to prevent them from being put into a real outlet by the young kids that usually use the rentals.

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#123 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:39 AM

Thanks, Mike! It's decidedly been a labor of love, which probably explains the (obsessive?) attention to details.

I do understand your concern about using standard AC plugs on the controllers. As a club, there really won't be any rentals. I would like to see kids in our place, but the Fire Marshall is not keen on kids wandering a 2 million sq ft industrial complex.

The only reason the outlets are there is because the track came with them. I really don't expect to see any rental business as we are members-only club. I have a few Parma Turbo controllers wired for the outlets that a friend of a member could use if they didn't have a controller.

That being said, I'm still thinking of removing them altogether and replacing them with blank plates painted with the lane color.

More to come...

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#124 flem1959

flem1959

Race Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

You`ve done an amazing job on this track.
Thanks for all the posts and pictures.
Hope to make it out there sometime.

Good luck.
Mike Fleming

#125 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

Regarding plugs.

The potential problem is this:

For convenience, one of your customers modifies their own controller to use the standard AC plug.
At home, someone not old enough to know better plugs it into a wall socket.

Better not to have that happen...

The IEC plug is kinda the accepted standard for plugs, I use it for my rentals.

If someone uses it on their controller and it gets plugged into the back of a computer instead of the power cord, not much harm done.

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#126 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Jim,

That makes good sense! Good thing those outlets are cheap, eh? As long as the outlets are changing, I may as well get a single outlet and plate vs. double (since only one controller is allowed at a time). Gotta love the details. :)

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#127 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Only had a few hours today, but managed some progress as the dead strip is hooked into the buss. The original connections were stapled together and then soldered, which made for a few scorch marks. The wire nuts should work just fine...
01-26-2012-a.jpg

The picture below shows where the snake to the computer connects. The previous owner snipped all the wires to the terminal boards, but left enough to easily identify which wires go where. A few minutes with a wire stripper and a screwdriver is all that's needed to make those connections. But first, I wanted to sort out the power connections.
01-26-2012-b.jpg

The image above is a little out of focus, but shows the relays for each lane. At the far end of the row of relays are two power relays labeled "Hi Power" and "Low Power". Since we won't use the voltage adjusting stuff, all the Low Power circuitry was stripped out. The Hi Power relay looks like it had an "event" of some kind (see below) and was tossed. However, the Low Power relay that was deleted looked good to use as a replacement (we'll see).
01-26-2012-c.jpg

No, don't think we'll use that relay! I'll sort out the power tomorrow morning, armed with schematics. Could be testing tomorrow afternoon!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#128 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

Henry , really nice.. I know that i will be renting a controller as it's not in my budget just yet... cant wait to try it out Look Fantastic..

Ah i am free tomorrow if you want to put another car on track to give it a few more cars on at a time..

#129 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

Hi Henry, I 've got a question for you.. CAn we run hard bodies on FCR or just lexan.. been trying to get my FCR ready doing some tech I saw on one thread about moving the front wheels up so that it would fit a hard body.. or should I stick with leaving it in stock set up?? Thanks Bob
Posted Image here's a Pic

#130 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

Here's a Pic of Chassis.. I think you saw the same thread
Posted Image
or just go with lexan
Posted Image

#131 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

Unless we have a group of people interested in also running hardbodies, we will run the program outlined by Parma. There's a thread on this forum located here: http://slotblog.net/...eference-guide/ which outlines the general rules. They are pretty straightforward and simple, which makes it easy to know what parts to have on hand for racers. ;)

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#132 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

SWEET looking hill climb track!! Nice renovation--wish it was closer to SoCal so I could play on it!!! Nice job!
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#133 flem1959

flem1959

Race Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

That`s a nice smooth looking Hillclimb, and you have a King also?

Just wondered what classes you plan on racing there.

Best Wishes.
Mike Fleming

#134 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

SWEET looking hill climb track!! Nice renovation--wish it was closer to SoCal so I could play on it!!! Nice job!

Thanks, Tim. I wish I lived in SoCal. :) Then, it would be a no brainer!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#135 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

That`s a nice smooth looking Hillclimb, and you have a King also? Just wondered what classes you plan on racing there. Best Wishes.

Hi Mike,

Thanks! I've been working on the Hillclimb by myself, so I can take credit for everything that went well as well as anything that didn't. :)
Yes, we also have a King, an older Ogilvie, that will go through the same rehab procedure. If we're lucky, recent experience should help make the process go a little more quickly. As for race classes, I'd like to see $100 wing cars, NECC series, Parma FCR, Retro; if there's enough interest ISRA/USRA would be great fun.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#136 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

Started on the timing system and came to the conclusion the AutoTrack stuff was just not going to work out. Since we're not going to be selling time, I decided to go with TrackMate. Installing a master relay lets me keep the individual lane relays, in case somewhere down the road the track was to be used in a commercial setup. The main relay never sees track power, so it doesn't need to be super heavy duty, all it has to do is pass along enough current to trip eight relays. The relays in the commercial relay panel are rated at 30A or 40A, which is more than they will likely ever see. I'm going to install 30A breakers in the driver's stations, along with an IEC jack, White/Black/Red power terminals, and an indicator light. The station plates will be made from .093" Lexan (Home Depot) x 8"w x 5"d, and each will be painted the lane color from the rear, then screwed to the deck. The rubber matting will make up the distance between station plates.

I'm using 1" I.D. PVC pipes for the power tap conduit, one for negative and one for positive. The power supply negative terminal connects to a main point on the relay board, which is then connected by eight #12AWG wires to an eight position terminal board. Eight identical lengths are bundled and connected at turn #1; another set of eight will connect at the donut (1/2 way around the track). Positive is distributed by #16AWG(?) wire from the relay panel to each driver station and also to the tap at the donut.

Pictures coming soon...

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#137 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Regarding plugs.

The potential problem is this:

For convenience, one of your customers modifies their own controller to use the standard AC plug.
At home, someone not old enough to know better plugs it into a wall socket.

Better not to have that happen...

The IEC plug is kinda the accepted standard for plugs, I use it for my rentals.

If someone uses it on their controller and it gets plugged into the back of a computer instead of the power cord, not much harm done.

Jim,

I have the IEC jacks coming tomorrow, but have one question (the big one): How are the jacks wired in relation to the White/Black/Red wiring convention?

Thanks,
Henry

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#138 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

How are the jacks wired in relation to the White/Black/Red wiring convention?

There are several threads on OWH dealing with the iec plug, etc but I don't see any standard.
Looking down into the recessed male plug (on the track with the center pin at the top), I put black on the center pin, red on the left and white on the right.

If you do yours that way that makes 2 of us...enough to call it the standard... :good:

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#139 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

There are several threads on OWH dealing with the iec plug, etc but I don't see any standard.
Looking down into the recessed male plug (on the track with the center pin at the top), I put black on the center pin, red on the left and white on the right.

If you do yours that way that makes 2 of us...enough to call it the standard... :good:

So looking down into the panel jack, with the center pin towards the track, the colors would be Red / Black / White? That would be the same thing, yes?

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#140 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

Hi Henry, you gonna be at the track tomorrow would like to stop by to pick up some parts if that's possible ..? I'll try your cell in the morning.. Thanks

#141 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

It was nice to see both you and Larry stop in last Friday. As you could see, the track is perilously close to completion. Yesterday, I completed the relay panel rebuild, which was a lot of fun because it reminded me of my days wiring high power television transmitters. I got a little cute with the positive hub wiring...
02-05-2012-a.jpg

Below shows the relay panel mounted to the underside of the section 13. The near lower left shows the terminal board for the DC+, which comes from the relays and on out to two separate locations on the track.
02-05-2012-b.jpg

Today I wired the dead strip and sensor cable to the far terminal board. Next up was wrapping the eight #12AWG "+" wires for the tap into a bundle and, then fishing it through the "+" PVC conduit. (The taps are run in separate "+" and "-" conduits.) The red and white driver station fender washers were swapped, so I fixed that and double checked the terminal wiring just for peace of mind.

Tomorrow, I'll connect the positive taps to the terminal board above, connect the + and - taps to the section drops, and secure the conduits. Then I'll determine where the power supplies, capacitor, timing board, computer, and monitor(s) will be located. My brother will have the driver panels mostly done by tomorrow, less the circular holes for the circuit breaker and power indicator lamp. Once those holes are drilled, the back of the panels will be painted with their respective lane color. I'll use an airbrush to spray them with Parma Faskolor colors, then let them dry overnight before mounting components and affixing them to the driver's deck.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#142 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Ok... The conduit is set in place and each end is 1/2 connected. As I was attaching the positive tap to the drop I realized I needed to change the source. Since the black terminal connecting to the braid is the source for the tap, I ran wire from the furthest station to a terminal board. I cut seven more the same length and will fold back the leads from the closer stations, so the lengths are identical. They will connect to a new terminal board that links up with the existing tap wires.

After that, I'll finish the driver panels then locate and install the Trackmate interface, the computer, monitor(s), power supplies, and voltage stiffening capacitor. The list is getting smaller!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#143 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

Henry you got some mad wiring skills.. This thread has been great on seeing each step that you have under taken re-doing every inch of the track. Thanks

#144 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

Thanks, Bob. I think it's latent ADD, but it seems to be working for me. :crazy: I've been going to the track every day, steadily getting things closer to opening day.

Below is a picture of the negative send buss. Eight wires connect to the negative terminal on the relay panel that run to a terminal board (upper middle); from there, two bundles of wire were routed to two sections approximately 1/2 way around the track from each other. One bundle was fed through the conduit, the other bundle was strung under the track to a nearby section drop.
02-08-2012-a.jpg

Here's the relay panel, with the positive feed to the stations (upper right). The negative and positive feeds are in the upper left, where track power will be attached. The dead strip sensors run from the terminal board (upper middle) to the Trackmate interface mounted on a track leg.
02-08-2012-b.jpg

The Trackmate interface with the sensor cables and serial cable plugged in. To do: connect interface to main relay, connect track call button(s), plug in the wall wart power.
02-08-2012-c.jpg

A driver station with the correct color coding/wiring. To do: finish fabricating the lexan driver panels. install and wire panel components, mount panel to deck, trim rubber deck mats to fit, tidy up positive tap wiring (fold back, tie wrap).
02-08-2012-d.jpg

Two brand new Iota DLS-75 power supplies and 1 farad capacitor. To do: fabricate power panel, with buss bars.
02-08-2012-e.jpg

My brother is going to finish the driver panels tomorrow morning, and we'll drill/route the deck as required - the track didn't have circuit breakers or indicator lights. There should be power applied very, very soon!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#145 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

Brought some of the work home with me this weekend. I drilled the mounting holes for each panel (5 ea.) and de-burred the other holes with a countersink. The back of the panels were cleaned after removing the protective film, then airbrushed:
02-11-2012-c.jpg

The panel backs will need a 2nd coat for 100% color fill. Here's the white station with a few components test fitted:
02-11-2012-b.jpg

Terminal positioning varied from station to station, which meant each panel had to be custom fit. Fortunately, the 1-1/8" washers will cover any sins. :)
The power panel is laid out, with all the main components attached and wired, except for the capacitor. I'm also going to screw in a few pieces of MDF between, and on either side of, the power terminals to keep anything or anyone from accidentally shorting out 12VDC @ 150A. Self leveling feet and a handle should complete the panel.
02-11-2012-a.jpg

The power cables for the supplies terminate in the US perpendicular plugs, so the switched outlet box will need to be outfitted with them. Once the capacitor is wired, the only thing needed to connect to the track are a pair of #6AWG wires from each output terminal.

First on the agenda tomorrow will be to mark and drill the driver deck with the driver station panel mounting holes. Second will be to prepare the connections for the IEC jacks, circuit breakers, and indicator lights; the wire bundles underneath will be tie wrapped and neatened up along the way. I'm thinking of screwing a bottom cover on the panel for safety. Actually, might want to make several panels in case any maintenance is needed down the road.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#146 flem1959

flem1959

Race Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

What an incredible amount of work you have put into this project.
Mike Fleming

#147 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

Thanks! It just goes to show you what almost every raceway owner goes through! Once the track is race worthy, the real fun begins.

Today, I was able to wire and install seven of eight driver panels (still have red to go):
02-15-2012-a.jpg

A close up view of the yellow driver station. The mounting screws closest to the track surface are too close to the sidewall to drill a pilot hole with a regular electric or cordless drill. However, a flexible shaft on the Dremel tool should let me get in close enough to the sidewall.
02-15-2012-b.jpg

The power panel is nearly wired. I installed some MDF barriers in between and on either side of the output terminals. A clear plexiglass panel on top will keep the terminals visible, yet still provide insurance against an accidental short.
02-15-2012-c.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll finish wiring the last driver panel, then trim and install the rubber mat on the rest of the deck Then, it's time to complete the power panel. However, before I can put power to the supplies I'll need to get the correct jacks for the power drop. If I get antsy, I might test the track wiring using the original 75A supply if it has a standard power plug.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#148 Larry Labounty

Larry Labounty

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

Mike, My work is right in the area of the track. I have stop by a few times. First I have to say Henery is a great person !! Next when you see his workmanship in front of you start to appreicate his talent an his attention to detail to get it done right. I'm looking forward to get some laps in soon !!!!!!

#149 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Larry, thanks so much for the kind words. I can only hope other folks will share in your enthusiasm.

Regardless, I have great news! At long last, the track is fully assembled. The driver stations are installed and correctly wired - I checked each lane with an ohm meter to be certain nothing was cross wired. Because I am anxious to power up the track, I'll use the old supply until new circuits can be run out to the power supply panel. I'll bring a few cars and controllers with me tomorrow morning to take a few test laps. But, not before vacuuming any dust from the track first. The track will get covered every night with a huge tarp so any "droppings" from the ceiling/floor above us won't make a mess of the surface.

I expect to have the new circuits, conduit, switches, and outlet box installed early next week. That means we should be ready for a grand opening next weekend!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#150 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Awesome news Henry.. you know if you would like some help testing i could easly bring a car up to offer my support.. I so cant wait for next weeend!!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop