• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#151 smigiel

smigiel

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Can't wait to turn a few laps on your track. Any idea on hours if you are running next weekend?
Robert Smigiel

#152 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Since the new power panel is not yet finished (tomorrow), today I wired the original power supply to the track. I'm happy to report that all went well! The Trackmate interface turns all the relays on/off as intended, and the flow of power works perfectly. However, the lap counter is not doing it's thing. Tomorrow, I'll double check the connections to the dead strip to make sure they are correct. It's a 50/50 chance they were wired backwards...

I'll know early in the week if we're on for the grand opening next weekend. We're planning for weekend hours to be 10-6 on Saturday and 12-5 on Sunday. As with everything in life, hours are subject to change. :D

We'll get an electrician to add a few circuits to the breaker box and also run conduit out to the where the new power supply panel will be. During the week, what we have in the way of decorations will be put up (always looking for cool stuff); the trash will be disposed of, and various tools/supplies will be stowed away. Calls will be made and applications will be emailed to the distributors by Monday so we can put new stuff on the shelves. I have a few specific ideas about inventory, like stocking stuff to support specific race classes, everyday need-to-have's, perhaps Retro building supplies/parts, but I also want to get the pulse of the club members before loading up on the wrong stuff...

The web site is mostly up and running at http://www.pvslotclub.com

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#153 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

The lap counter is all sorted out now! I originally connected all the common wires from the dead strip together, just as the AutoTrack system did. The TrackMate sensor runs a pair of wires to each dead strip, so that the commons are unique to the each lane. It took about an hour to make the changeover. Looks a bit neater, too. Pix tomorrow.

While the track functions quite nicely with the old power supply, the new power panel is only waiting on the plexiglass shield before it's ready for installation. Electrician is due mid-late week, but if there's any delay (say what?) we could still run with this weekend with the old 75A supply. Time to make those calls to the distributors and get that ball rolling. Going shopping for display panels, preferably 24" - 32". It looks like TV's are cheaper than monitors, so that might be the way to go.

I've got a 100w receiver and a pair of old Altec monitors , salvaged from the local Showcase Cinemas during upgrades, which could make for a decent sound system. I think my 1,000w PA system would probably be a bit of overkill, eh? :)

And to think, after all this - the King awaits the royal treatment...

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#154 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Is it Saturday yet !!! really looking forward to turning some Laps!!

and if the King get's the same top notch treatment we are in for One Fantastic Race Facility!!! you have done a incredible job restoring the Hillclimb and sharing alll you progress with all of us Thanks Henry!!
giggty giggty Let's Go Racing

#155 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hi Henry What's the Good word? Grand Opening Tomorrow?

#156 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Wow Henry,
It's been a couple weeks since I checked in, and things are really coming along fantastic!!
I hope to be able to make it down to check the place out sometime.

I'm up in southern NH , so it's a doable trip for me.

Vic
Alright, who cut the cheese?

#157 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

Thanks,Vic!

These last few details have been numerous and lengthy, or so it seems. I'm really pleased with how things are turning out and can't wait to open the doors and have some fun. I had hoped to have the power drops installed for this weekend, but it won't be until Monday. So, I'm thinking of having one last go at cleaning things up on Saturday so we can have an open house on Sunday, between 12-5. It will give folks an opportunity to help rubber up the track and have some fun doing it. I'm shooting for a Grand Opening on Friday, March 2.

Bob, although I'll be there on Saturday getting things tidied up, I'm sure a few laps will be turned, so come on down! ;)

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#158 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

OPEN HOUSE
Sunday, Feb 26
from 12pm-5pm
Come in the back way (see website for directions). A pre-opening romp on the track for all. Going to use light spray glue on the corners and nothing on the straights. Should take a few hundred laps on each lane to get things spread out. We just bought a 32" LCD tv with vga input for the display. The screen is hung on the back wall, above the upper straight, and is perfectly readable from the driver stations.

Come on down and have some fun! If the door is locked, call 413-219-4755 to be let in the building.

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#159 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Well Henry , must have missed you today 12:45 but i'll be over tomorrow..

#160 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Well Henry , must have missed you today 12:45 but i'll be over tomorrow..

Bob,

Must have missed you by no more than 15 minutes... Tomorrow for sure, Rocky!

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#161 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

View of the monitor from black station:
02-25-2012-a.jpg

View of monitor from red station:
02-25-2012-b.jpg

View of the lower straight with rope lights:
02-25-2012-d.jpg

Driver stations with controller holders installed:
02-25-2012-f.jpg

Power panel with plexiglass shield waiting to be screwed on. Black and white leads sticking out to the sides will be brought up and hooked to track power.
02-25-2102-c.jpg

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#162 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Henry, Had a Blast the track is Awesome... smooth and incredibly Fast.. now if i can learn to drive somewhat better lol.. looks like a fexi chassis may be my next addition let me know when i can pick one up .. again thanks looking forward to next Friday Night!!! Post the pic's when you get a chance

#163 ssscamaro

ssscamaro

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Henry hi thanks for allowing Emma and I to run on the track. Its really smooth with no corners cut ! I'm sure that slight glitch will be an easy fix for you.
Will be back!
Ryan
Ryan Archambault

#164 Robert Roundy

Robert Roundy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

Hey Ryan was good to meet you & Emma today you got a future racer there.. look forward to turning some more laps with you soon.. i am so hooked.. :good:

#165 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

Thanks to Bob, Ryan, and Emma who came out on short notice. We all had fun putting the first laps down on the Hillclimb. Other than an issue with the lap counter not counting laps for some, it was a lot of fun! Here's a shot of the crew from yesterday:
02-26-2012-a.jpg

After we were done the track was covered with a tarp to prevent dust and stuff from the floor above from setting on the track:
02-26-2012-c.jpg

The electrician is due this morning to install circuits for the twin 75A power supplies. I'll work through the lap counter issue - perhaps soldering the connections will cure the intermittent counting problem. We'll also get to work hanging signs and banners. Things are definitely on track for a grand opening this coming Friday night

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

#166 hfs3

hfs3

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

The primary entry door is a sliding door that keeps people out, but doesn't keep heat in. Instead of leaving the door closed, which isn't very friendly, we decided to install french doors. At the local Grossman's Bargain Outlet we found a nice one for ~$200. The taping and joint compound are not completed, nor the trim installed, but it should be all set by Friday eve! Below are views from outside and intside:

02-29-2012-a.jpg

02-29-2012-c.jpg

The electrician installed a switched circuit that controls A/C to the monitor, the TrackMate interface, and track power. Shown below is the power supply, visible through the deadman's curve after the driver stations:

02-29-2012-b.jpg

Henry Spadoni
Pioneer Valley Slot Club
100' Ogilvie Hillclimb
155' Ogilvie King

Electric Dreams Online Shop