Russkit 23

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rewinder

rewinder

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Location:Somewhere in the panhandle of TX near way too much plutonium…

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:47 AM

Only from a few pictures have I seen a Russkit 23. I was going back on the motor building looking for some confirmation about what I have heard but it's been a while from what I recall. So I was just trying to freshen up some recall about these 16D Mabuchi motors.

If any of you have the pictures showing the back end of the can that has the thru bearing, please post a confirmming picture. Also did not the can opening have not just one shape opening cut out but some had horizontal cut outs as well on both sides of the can??? From what I recall also the quality was suppose to be a bit better? I know some of the modifications were a back drive can as well as the front drive can endbell drive verses back end drive. I recall that the magnets were of the same.

Feel free to post your comments and pictures for a looksee and showtell.

Regards,

rewinder357
Clay Parker

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE THE PICTURES SHOWING THE BACK END OF THE CAN THAT HAS THE THRU BEARING, PLEASE POST A CONFIRMMING PICTURE..

The can didn't have a "through" bearing (bushing). It had a closed bushing that was about the same outside diameter as the one used in the Mabuchi endbell Sometimes, people would swap out the closed or "blind" bushing for an endbell bushing and this would require installing a tail-spacer if the original arm was to be used...or installing a new rewind with a tail-spacer.

ALSO DID NOT THE CAN OPENING HAVE NOT JUST ONE SHAPE OPENING CUT OUT BUT SOME HAD HORIZONTAL CUT OUTS AS WELL ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CAN??

Except for the blind can bushing, the can looked like any other Mabuchi 16D or FT16D as far as cutouts on the top and bottom as well as at the rear (bushing) end of the can. It had the same magnet stops at the rear and retainers on the bottom as well as the rectangular cutouts.

FROM WHAT I RECALL ALSO THE QUALITY WAS SUPPOSE TO BE A BIT BETTER? I KNOW SOME OF THE MODIFICATIONS WERE A BACK DRIVE CAN AS WELL AS THE FRONT DRIVE CAN ENDBELL DRIVE VERSES BACK END DRIVE.

The endbell for the "23" had the then-new "heatsinks" or brush tubes and of course the brushes themselves were a slightly different size to fit those. It may be that the wind was different, I wouldn't know.

-john
John Havlicek

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,805 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

I just happened to take this for John's rewinding thread. Don't think there was much variation in the Russkit 23, but here I've got two similar Russkit 23s, but with different commutators...

Posted Image

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

Each is probably just from different runs of arms for the "23" Don.

-john
John Havlicek

#5 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,805 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

That sounds about right John - strangely enough, I've had a lot of these apart, but never really paid much attention to the commutator.

Anyway, they're now both rewound, waiting for epoxy and balancing, so we'll see how they do... I did the one with the slotted commutator 75 x 31, as we discussed, and just did the arm with the leaf commutator 100 x 33 - much closer to the original wind I believe!

Rewinder, the one with the horizontal cutouts on the can was the Russkit 28 hemi style motor - didn't show that one because I don't have one! It's a pretty rare beast..

Don

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Both sound like good winds Don. Balancing and epoxying them can only mean a better motor!

-john
John Havlicek

#7 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,296 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

Clay,
For you, a quick listing of most of the Russkit motors;

Russkit 22 (same can for the 23 with blind bushing) both are by Mabuchi:

Russkit_22.jpg

Russkit 24 (a rarity) by unknown Japanese manufacturer:

russkit_24.jpg

Russkit 25 (this one all drilled up by a customer, I did not have a better picture) by unknown American manufacturer:

russkit_25.jpg

Russkit 27 by Johnson in Hong Kong:

russkit-27-2.jpg

Russkit 28 (Igarashi motor):

russkit-28-1.jpg

And now for the 'big" ones (Mabuchi FT36D sized):

Russkit 33 by Mabuchi:

russkit_33.jpg

Russkit 34 with adjustable brushes by unknown Japanese manufcaturer:

russkit_34.jpg

Of all these, only the R22, R23, R25, R27 and R28 were used in Russkit kits or RTR models.
The R22 was used in the Cooper and Ferrari kits with the injected bodies, and in the Black Widow 4WD cars, the Lotus and Lola.
The R23 was used in all the Spyder series RTR cars, the Cooper, the McLaren-Elva and Iso Grifo.
It was also used in the scarce factory RTR Cooper and Ferrari with injected bodies, as well as in the first series of the Carrera series kits and export RTR models, the Porsche 906, both Chaparrals, the Lotus 40 and the eagle F1.
The R25 was used in rare versions of the "Black Widow" Iso Grifo.
The R27 was used in the "series 2" Carrera Series kits that included new cars such as the Honda F1 and McLaren MK2, as well as in the export RTR versions of these cars, and both the 2-man Dune Buggy and Hustler RTR cars.
The R28 was only used in the rare 1/32 scale "Rattler series" RTR cars, the Corvette, McKee and the ultra-rare 2-man Dune Buggy.
Besides these, Russkit used the Igarashi Hemi 300 in scarce versions of the Honda F1 RTR export models painted in metallic brown, silver or blue with black fogging.

The Russkit "22" had a 3-year run but never changed. The Russkit 23 had 3 different armatures, different only in minor details, mainly a different commutator as the production was upgraded.
I hope that this intense confusion will help you. :D
  • Jocke P likes this

Philippe de Lespinay

#8 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

I have never seen a 24 on the east coast except for pictures. The 25 was pretty crappy. My vibrated so bad he could not be run. Use my lunch money to buy that one. I guess back then I should have skipped lunch more often. Lol....

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#9 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,296 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:37 PM

Yes indeed, the 25 was total crap! :D

Philippe de Lespinay

#10 Duffy

Duffy

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:56 PM

---Wull----if someone drilled YOU full of holes like that, wouldn't you be, too?...
Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#11 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,296 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

Well, some here have been trying but so far my skin has been hole proof. :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#12 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,805 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:49 AM

Russkit also listed a laminated pole type motor, Pittman DC65 size - can't remember the part number offhand, but has anybody ever seen one of these?

Don

#13 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:09 AM

Yes indeed, the 25 was total crap! :D

Stock was crap, but if you work them a bit they can run pretty hard. I rezapped mine after replacing the arm with a Trinity late model arm, re-adjusted the brushes and springs and changed a can bearing and it's pretty smooth. :) No holes drilles, either! :laugh2:
Gary Stelter

My life fades, the vison dims. All that remains are memories... from The Road Warrior

#14 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

Unfortunately I did not have a trinity arm in 1966 lol. I remember how disappointed I was after buying it.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#15 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,296 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

Russkit also listed a laminated pole type motor, Pittman DC65 size - can't remember the part number offhand, but has anybody ever seen one of these?

Don,
So far, none that I know has surfaced... I am also looking for a set of Indy car wheels advertized in the 1967 catalog in the form of a line drawing, but none showed up yet... ;)

Philippe de Lespinay

Electric Dreams Online Shop