#1 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

Fellas,

After several attempts to get the project off the ground, this afternoon proved to be a perfect time to launch the build. This'll be my first attempt at a build along article so be gentle.

We gathered the bits-n-pieces over a several year period as well as some items that have been in house for decades.

We started with a Kemtron motor off of the popular bid or buy site that we're all familiar with, specifically a Kemtron 8 Volt DC Motor  and a SPEEDWAY BLUE STREAK Chassis for what else, Kemtron motors !

Additionally, it was decided to use a Jaguar body in keeping with our C.A.R.S. Club theme for January that being cars that start with the letter "J". It was a toss up between an original Pactra Jaguar XKE or recent Lancer rebop of the Lister Jaguar. Archie Scott Brown's car would be depicted if the latter were chosen and would've been replicated as faithfully as I possibly could.

I elected to forgo the chassis kit's drop arm and use a different option, as can be seen there were two to choose from. I picked the one that I thought would most reflect the period, that being the one on the left.
The drop arm was one I had for a good while. A prebuilt off the shelf unit that I felt would fill the bill.

Attached Images

• Kemtron Jaguar build 005.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 004.jpg

Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#2 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

As we can see I have a number of spur gears to select from for the project, we picked a "lightened" 47 tooth beauty. For the pinion we went with a 12 giving us a 3:91 ratio, coupled with tires about an inch tall I feel that the car should run well. We'll see...

I had quite a few wheel and tire combos to choose from. I tried to narrow them down to something that would again be common for the era and suitable for a vintage Jag.

For anyone who's interested, the tall o-rings I'm using for front tires are sewing machine bobin wheels available at sewing machine repair shops in several diameters at reasonable prices. The aluminum wheels themselves were from an auction site win from a few years back that I had won from one of the members on this board who is heavily into vintage slots.

Attached Images

• Kemtron Jaguar build 012.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 008.jpg

Peter J. Linszky

#3 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

Once it was decided what wheel/tire combo we'd run it was felt that we'd use an Ulrich Independent front axle from our stash. Of course it'd have to be a narrow one to suit the track of the car.

Yes, that's a Cuc chassis under that car from the last Cuc race held at The Race Place in Farmingdale N.J. about a decade ago !

The rear tires were made in house using foam rubber several years ago, the truing was done on an old
RUAL ENGINEERING tire machine as seen in a 1965 issue of Rod & Custom magazine !

We assembled the front end as well as the rear axle and found that the pinon shaft had to be shortened a tad in order to avoid contact with the right rear. Once we completed the task, the car was on it's wheels with a motor installed.

Next we rolled 'er over and installed the drop arm. Wishing to avoid any concerns with having too much solder in the wrong places we opted for a telescoping tubing style hinge held in place with straight pins slightly "tweaked" to stay in place.

The last photo shows the drop arm in place and fully functional, so far so good !

Attached Images

• Kemtron Jaguar build 010.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 011.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 002.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 001.jpg

Peter J. Linszky

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Pete, the droparm you chose is a unit that was sold by Cobra. I recently picked up a couple of them from a friend. :)

Bill Fernald

My wife says I don't pay enough attention to her, or something like that.  :unknw:

#5 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

Sharp eyed readers will note that the chassis needed to be "relieved" in the area of the arm so that the motor could actually spin. Also, that the aluminum nuts holding the whole shebang together are replacing the stock brass screws and nuts that came in the motor. The brass hardware was too short to pass through the chassis with the motor sandwiched in between.

In the picture below are several chassis waiting for bodies, the first one being the stillborn Dynamic Challange car.

I forgot to mention the fact that I picked an old Jetflag for the shoe as I felt I wanted a deeper guide than the old COX unit I had considered. Indeed I had intentionally gone with the more modern set-up for driveability.

Having the chassis to this point, I turned my attention to the body mounts. I wanted to use straight pins again to mount the body as I really don't like my cars adorned with small screws unless a restoration calls for them.
I chose brass tubing again in a telescoping manner to facilitate the task.
Having some old COX body mounting strips laying around I utilized them in order to avoid the unsightly "body curl" often associated with the ancient Butyrate bodies. The combination of the parts mentioned will almost ensure an attractive as well as practical solution to mounting the body

Attached Images

• Kemtron Jaguar build 007.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 006.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 013.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 003.jpg

Peter J. Linszky

#6 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

In this segment we're finishing up the body mounts, along the way I've added several "cross members" to the chassis to shore it up. It helps to have a good selection of brass tubing sizes available for these builds !

The last photo shows the body sitting on the chassis, ground clearance is about 1/8" in the rear and a bit taller in the front. We might shave the fronts down a bit to level the chassis or perhaps come up with some smaller o-rings.

Attached Images

• Kemtron Jaguar build 020.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 019.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 018.jpg

Peter J. Linszky

#7 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

Pete, the droparm you chose is a unit that was sold by Cobra. I recently picked up a couple of them from a friend. :)

Bill,

Thanks for the I.D. on the drop arm, I wasn't sure who's it was !
Peter J. Linszky

#8 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,784 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

That is ultra SANO, Pete, thanks for showing it :clapping: :good:
Paul Wolcott

#9 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

Looking gooooooood, Pete! :)

Mikey

Mike DiVuolo

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#10 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

The last photo shows the body sitting on the chassis, ground clearance is about 1/8" in the rear and a bit taller in the front. We might shave the fronts down a bit to level the chassis or perhaps come up with some smaller o-rings.

Great build so far Pete,I was going to say cut down the front's a bit it will give a real tire look.
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#11 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,784 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:24 PM

I can shave those fronts for you, Pete, on my Hudy, if you want.
Paul Wolcott

#12 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

Paul,

Thanks for the offer, I've got the old RUAL ENGINEERING TIRE TRUING machine on stand by as well as several other sizes of o-rings to go through yet. I'll come up with something.

Happy Holidays Fellas !
Peter J. Linszky

#13 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

Fellas,

After the holiday break we took up where we left of with the Jag...at this point we were ready for the body part of the build.

I scuffed 'er up with a 3M scrubbie type thing and proceeded to mask the shell with good 'ol masking tape as well as Walther's Magic Masker for the smaller areas.

Attached Images

• Kemtron Jaguar build 001.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 002.jpg

Peter J. Linszky

#14 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

I had recently purchased a large selection of water based paints at the local Michaels store for $.50 a bottle,
I chose a frogbelly shade of green for the Jag.

I'm no artist so I chose the sticker route for graphics on the car, in keeping with the era I kept the decor to a minimum , meatballs w/numerals and tape over the headlight lenses (narrow strips of masking tape).

I used sharpies to define the panel lines, and tried my best to bring out some chrome trim around the windshield and rear glass. If I had to do it again I'd try something else for the trim.

Anyway, we mounted the body, painted the straight pins to match and we're off to give her a test run Thursday at the January C.A.R.S. club meeting.

I might give some thought to an interior at a later date and maybe even redo the headlight tape.

There you have it, the C.A.R.S. Club "J" themed slot car for JANUARY.

For February I'll try an "F" themed slot car build...Ford, Ferrari or maybe a Facel Vega !

Attached Images

• Kemtron Jaguar build 004.jpg
  • Kemtron Jaguar build 007.jpg

Peter J. Linszky

#15 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Fellas,

Another project underway, I hate painting helmets though !!!

Attached Images

Peter J. Linszky

#16 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,784 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

Veeeery Niiiice Pete I give it three thumbs up !!!!!
Paul Wolcott

#17 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

Damn, Pete, that Jag is lookin' good! Can't wait to see 'er in person.

Mikey

Mike DiVuolo

#18 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,639 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

Great project! Thanks for posting.
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#19 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Fellas,

Thanks for the positive responses ! While certainly no match for other's builds on the board, it's incentive to get to work and put some cars together.
Peter J. Linszky

#20 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,041 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

..........I hate painting helmets though !!!

YIKES PETE! Look at all those driver figures lined up! I can barely get one painted at a time :shok: .

Cool Jag by the way :good:

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#21 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

Rick,

Yes, they have finally recieved a full set of garments to ward of the chilly cellar conditions to which they have been exposed to these many years !
Peter J. Linszky

#22 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

Fellas,

As stated above, the Frogbelly Jag made it's debute at the track last night at the C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club's January meeting. Prior to testing we took some measurments from the car so that we may have a baseline for these track test sessions.

Wheelbase: 3.720"
Fr. Track: 2.350
Rr. Track: 2.320
Weight: 5.66 oz.

We had brought along several pairs of rear tires with the intent of swapping them after ten lap segments to see which pair worked best.
We had TWO Pairs of FOAM TIRES both the same size as well as TWO Pairs of Silicone tires from the era.

The foam tires, both pairs measured out to 1.058" dia.
The shorter SILICONE tire measured out to 1.150" dia.
And the tall SILICONE tire measured out to 1.268" dia.
Both pairs of SILICONE tires were manufactured by SPEEDWAY Maufacturing and Equiptment Co. from back in the day.

All sessions were to be run on the orange lane, track length claimed is 131 Ft.

The initial ten lap run resulted in an uninspiring best time of 10.546 seconds, this with the original to the build home made FOAM rear tires. No doubt that the narrow rear track as well as narrow tire patch hindered our quest for some really hot laps.

After a short break to adjust braid and apply some braid juice we managed a best time of 10.218 seconds according to the track timing system. Still much room for much improvement.

Attached Images

Peter J. Linszky

#23 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

Pete, Looks great! As I mentioned once before, you should post some more cars that you built. I remember seeing some of them at Buzzy's when I met you in person. Don't sell yourself short, your cars look really nice. You do nice clean work,not overdone and your cars capture a vintage "feel". Lets see some more.

Joe Lupo

#24 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

The next ten lap session was to utilize the 1.150" dia SILICONE tires and would no doubt result in a completely different driving style.
Unfortunetly after several warm-up laps it was evident that the taller tire was rubbing the body work on the left rear side of the car resulting in an "eyebrow" scar in the paint.

At that point it was decided to cancel the remainder of the road test rather than readjust the rear track to accomadate the taller tires. It was decided that altering the car at this stage would throw all the prior numbers out the window.

So there we have it, a road test of a newly built from virgin/unused vintage parts slot car that waited 49 YEARS to be assembled and get to the track... Great fun for myself !!!

Attached Images

Peter J. Linszky

#25 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

Pete, Looks great! As I mentioned once before, you should post some more cars that you built. I remember seeing some of them at Buzzy's when I met you in person. Don't sell yourself short, your cars look really nice. You do nice clean work,not overdone and your cars capture a vintage "feel". Lets see some more.

Joe,

Thanks for the kind words, coming from someone who builds cars as beautifully as you do it means a great deal !!!
Peter J. Linszky

#26 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:01 AM

I can attest that this Jaguar is a beeaut! :) It gets around the track nicely, about as fast as "The Devastating Roadrunner!"

I will echo what the Lone Wolf has said..Pete's cars are amazing. He has one plastic drawer full of Classic and BZ thingies, built using vintage parts and rebop bodies that are just stunning.

Mikey

Mike DiVuolo

#27 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Fellas,

Again thanks for the kind words, the inspiration comes from the other builds on the board and the enthusiasum that exists here at Slotblog. :good: :good: :good:
Peter J. Linszky

#28 RichKraft

RichKraft

Vintage Buff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

Wonderful build of one of my favorite body shapes.

The trim and tailight detail really add to the car.

Those Jags were some pretty. :good: :good:
Rich Austin:
"it's just Rich$Kraft"
*choppers and hotrods*

#29 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

:shok:

Super nice 'Classic' car build-up ! :good:

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#30 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:26 PM

Fellas,

Years later, the Jaguar update. After a few good times out on the track an unfortunate fate met the Jag's body.  A shop accident resulted in broken body which strangely enough could be traced back to the rear tire rubbing the body just above the wheel well opening. Pics to follow...

Peter J. Linszky

#31 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

Fellas,

The wounded Jaguar...and the new Jaguar #7. The same chassis that was under the #4 Jag is now under the #7 Jaguar.

Attached Images

• DSCN7036.JPG
  • DSCN7030.JPG
  • DSCN7031.JPG

• miko and Tom Katsanis like this
Peter J. Linszky

Electric Dreams Online Shop