• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 2fas4u

2fas4u

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

There will be a gathering of HO racers later this month in Escondido, CA, on the world-famous Katz-Spa-Ring

Katz Spa Ring - First Race of 2012

http://youtu.be/D5MqX0iGzHM
Gary Morgan

#2 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

I had read somewhere that there was a fear this track had no home after the passing of Greg Katz. It's great to hear that it's being cared for and raced on.

Thanks for sharing the video.

"I'm just here for the entertainment." George Carlin

#3 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

Beautiful track, Gary!

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 club track racing! Dang!

"Even if you're on the Right Track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

Enjoy life! Race Slot Cars and read SlotBlog!

#4 Big E

Big E

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

If you're a west coaster, you owe it to yourself to contact the caretakers of the 'Ring and pay a visit. This track goes beyoynd beautiful, beyond awsome -- it's probably one of the finest HO tracks in the world, if not THE finest.
I had the pleasure and privilege of visiting Greg in 2003 and 2004, after my weekends at The Monterey Historic Races at Laguna Seca Raceway. Never have I met a person more dedicated and passionate about his hobby, yet humble and so proud to share it with others. I was able to run some of my oldest Aurora Thunderjet and A/FX race cars during my visits, using a couple of my favorite vintage Russkit controllers as well. Two scale miles is a lot of track to learn in a couple of hours, I was more in pleasure cruise mode, watching all that magnificent scratchbuilt scenery go by!
My thanks go out to all those whose efforts have preserved Greg's vision not just for themselves, but for the entire slot car racing community to share, as I'm sure he wished for us all.
It's sad that Greg is no longer here, but what a legacy he has left for us to enjoy and remember him by.

Rest in Peace, Greg, and Thank You. - Ernie
Ernie Finamore

#5 Big Durl

Big Durl

Pretty on the inside

• Moderator2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

Glad to see this amazing track found a home after the demise of the San Francisco HO Club. I had the good fortune to drive it a few years ago, and it is a real treat.

I do hope you guys can restore and preserve it as it deserves, because it is one of the great slot car tracks in the world.

Darryl Vance

Electric Dreams Online Shop