• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

Does the rear bodywork of, say, a McLaren M8 or McKee have to remain intact (D3 Retro Can-Am)? Or can I cut it off to facilitate exiting the air out from under the body?

How about the same question for Jail Door bodies?
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#2 Hangtime

Hangtime

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

I leave 1/2" from the top. I try to follow rules, but i'm finding differences at places I race.

I understand you're looking for D3, but I don't run that yet anyway. I'm sure those fellas will chime in.
Rick Arrendale

#3 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Tex,

In Jail Door bodies most guys do not cut the rear off. I have run a Lotus 40 with it on and the guys running the Lola T70 have done the same thing.

As for D3 and Can-Am, etc., they cut the rear of the body the same as IRRA™. Most leave around 3/8 inch back there so there is enough "meat" to attach the spoiler.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,418 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

And, there are no rules that forbid it. Generally in D3, we cut the back so as to leave just enough to mount the spoiler material.
For the McKee, one could punch all the vent holes and obtain the same results, that might gain you Concours points!

In real life in the 1969 Can-Am, at least two cars, the Ti22 and the Lola T165, had their rear body work abbreviated in the same manner as what is being done in D3 and IRRA™ racing today. :)

#5 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,836 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. I "assumed"(and we all know what we get when we "assume") that the bodywork could not be shortened. Now that I know different, I see some M8's in my future!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

Electric Dreams Online Shop