17 replies to this topic

#1 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

To all that follow D3:

Just to set the records straight, so as not to confuse anyone to the posting that was made earlier today, Paul Sterrett has not officially quit D3. As of right now, D3 still has its board of six members.

Keith Tanaka was at Buena Park Raceway yesterday, and had beautiful calendars of D3 for sale, and did not race, but was present for most of the afternoon.

Rumors from fact checkers aside, the D3 race that took place yesterday was attended by the following "Others",

1. John Tore Anderson, the G.O.A.T.
2. Gary Donahoe
3. Jimmy Gonsalves
4. Dennis "Foamy" Hill
5. Marc Franco
6. Tim Neja
7. Barney Poynor
8. Jay "Grammy" Henry

These racers, along with Bryan W., PdL, Phil "TQ" Nyland, and myself all participated in the day's festivities.

Also, since no one knew before coming to race at Buena Park yesterday that to start the day, neither Keith Tanaka nor Paul Sterrett would be present, no one could have made any decision prior, so attendance was based on racers that usually come out for the flat track, and those who could afford to run after competing in the January Checkpoint Cup and SCRRA race. Whether the turn-out was due to financial reasons or time constraints, the race went off as planned, finished by about 3:15 PM, and I volunteered to print the new race forms for Retro racing entries.

As I said before, Retro racing is alive and well in Southern California at Buena Park Raceway!

Come out and join in the fun, whether it be with ANY of the Retro racing groups.

Show up, volunteer, pitch in, race, marshall, direct, whatever you can do all helps to keep the raceway open.

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#2 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

I'm hoping to have my F1 car done for the March festivites and will be looking forward to joining in the fun. I can be talked into race directing and/or taking some pictures.
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#3 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,408 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

Definitely a fun day yesterday-- racing was fast and the program ran smoothly! The track was in perfect condition-- thank you Greg, Jim and Debby--and ALL who helped run the race including Bryan, PDL, Mill, Barney for race directing and all others that ran. Turn marshalling everything went very smoothly. Come on out in March Mike--F-1 is a very fun race and it was GREAT to see Foamy out there running in F-1!! I don't think he'd driven one for 2 or 3 years!! Great job Foamy!! I've got some new parts from the Tokyo crew to build some new cars--so I'm hoping to have some new toys to play with.
D3 is ALIVE AND WELL!!
T
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

A post made yesterday by a former D3 racer was removed by Cheater, because it contained personal attacks, was not very constructive and contained factual errors. There is no need for adding gasoline onto a fire of which flames have been doused.

Mill,
Thanks for your post that reflects Saturday's ambiance: fun, no politics, no hassles of any kind, and racers happy to compete on a track that was in perfect condition and needed nothing.
More of the same please at the next D3 race in March on the awesome King track.

News of the King track power issues:
Discussions with Adam Kirchhoffer (King's Power Guru) led to the suggestion to install a capacitor to absorb AC leakage from the power supply, then use it exclusively and bypass the batteries altogether. This would allow a constant, even voltage that can be tuned to perfection for D3 racing needs. I have offered to pay for the purchase and installation of the capacitor as an experiment, more to follow as soon as we can test the system.
We are not sure if this will be ready for the March race, but we will try our best to get it done.
Thanks to Adam for helping out.

Other news:
Mill Conroy and Phil Nyland have offered to participate in the D3 Board, Mill as a full member, Phil as treasurer.
Thanks to both, their help is very welcome. At this time, the raceway is keeping the D3 treasury money in escrow. A clear accounting of funds will be available on request to any D3 racer in a completely transparent manner.

Racing classes:
D3 has recently been unable to run previous classes because of a lack of racing dates and lack of participation. In future Board meetings, the existence of these classes will be discussed so as to provide the best options for racers, at this time concentrating on the two successful classes, F1 and Can-Am.

To all SoCal Retro racers:

Today, there are two racing groups. These two groups are not competing against each other, they are completing each other. If you like Retro racing, please participate in the races organized by both because we are all friends and the racing in both series is simply, great fun.

However please understand that anyone trying to create issues where there are no more will not be welcome.

Again, thanks to all for a great and fun day of racing last Saturday. See you in 28 days! :)

#5 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Actually, if someone wants to get back on the Flat track with a Can Am car you can race again in SIX DAYS!! Mike Kravitz and Dennis Samson are going to run a race this Saturday February 18th at BPR in conjunction with their normal program which will include a Can Am race for either D3 or IRRA Can Am cars. More information can be found on Slotblog under Race Announcements. I encourage everyone to join the fun!! I wish I could make it!! :)

#6 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

Talk to the Professor about using capacitors on tracks.
Remember the Steube bar!
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#7 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,408 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

I would have loved to race again on the "Flatster"!! But I was out squirting sand in the Dunes for the weekend!! Hope everyone had fun---I'll definitely make the next one!!
T

#8 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

March 10th on the Kingee! :)
But don't forget, SCRRA and John Cukras have a race on the King next Saturday, and most D3 racers will be there too.
You can also bring your Retro Pro bullet since there will be a race of those after the F1 and Can Am :heart:

#9 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,408 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

If I get my retro pro chassis in time I'll try to bring it!! Trying to join the fray in retro-pro. Got Joe Chevy working on some motors--and a Tony P chassis coming. Gotta paint a body --which one works best??
T

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Depends on if your car needs more down force or not.
The body that will give you the most is the MAC Porsche 917-30. If your car "pops" its nose, use the MAC Gulf-Mirage. If your car is quite neutral and you could use more straightaway speed, use the MAC McLaren M20.
The old Lancer/MAC Porsche now pulled by O/S is also a very good choice as an "in-between" compromise, but remember you cannot add stuff to the bodies, and soon, there will be some tighter regulations in body mounting because at this time looks like we are getting too much in the "thingy" mode with body noses excessively trimmed and bodies angled way too much.

#11 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

, and soon, there will be some tighter regulations in body mounting because at this time looks like we are getting too much in the "thingy" mode with body noses excessively trimmed and bodies angled way too much.

Forgive me if I am confused.

This is a thread in the D3 forum, but D3 relinquished Retro Pro as a class back in October or whenever it was. As far as I remember, John C did not pick it up, so Barney talked him into running these cars as an extra class every 4th Saturday.

So, who are the "we" that are going to be creating tighter regulations?

Thanks

Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Dennis,
Barney will respond to you later tonight.

#13 team burrito

team burrito

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Who in their right mind would schedule a race on a holiday weekend???
Russ Toy (not Troy)
First Place Loser in the JK Products
International D3 Builders Competition

#14 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

The Indy 500 folks. They must be nuts. :)

#15 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

The Indy 500 folks. They must be nuts. :)

And F1 that same weekend. Not to mention the taxi race

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway

#16 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,400 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

Now you are going to encounter the ire of the NASCAR folks here... :shok: :D

#17 Duffy

Duffy

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

Now you are going to encounter the ire of the NASCAR folks here... :shok: :D

And they'll all say the same thing. Because they're "Parrotty."
Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#18 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

D3 did not give RP up (I don't care what was posted) ....the race days was given to John. I have talked to John and have his OK to post about recent changes to RP.
1. Retro Pro weather ran by John or us (D3) would like to all use the same rules. John OK'ed the addition of the O/S Porsche O1A. There may be other bodies allowed for John's races as soon as John gets them and a few of us get a chance to see them it will be posted if any others are to be added. I hope any John approves will and can be used for D3 RP racing too.

2. As in D3 (when it was running) John will only allow P/S motor setups (can, magnets and endbell) No honing allowed. I talked to John and we agree to keep the arms P/S X12 with the .014" lams as legal and stacks of .350" minimum. All other RP old rules will stay. Shims OK also. Also any hardware on the P/S endbell is OK now.

I would like to see a 3 class race day in D3 with F1, CanAm and a third if time allowed for R-32 and RP again. Not sure but maybe Sundays could be a option in the future for other D3 classes......?

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 club track racing! Dang!

"Even if you're on the Right Track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

Enjoy life! Race Slot Cars and read SlotBlog!

Electric Dreams Online Shop