• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rickard Five

Rickard Five

Dumb Drag Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

I'm endeavoring to build a double micro switch external Resistor Controller. can anyone help me out with a wiring diagram for double micro switches ?
Thanx
Rickard
“I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don’t have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don’t mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don’t need much money. I believe it’s meant to be that way. There’s a ‘struggle’ you have to go through, and if you make a lot of money it doesn’t make the ‘struggle’ go away. It just makes it more complicated. If you keep poor, the struggle is simple.“
–Von Dutch

Rickard Johnston
All images © Rickard5

#2 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

I am a little surprised that nobody volunteered to help with this. Guess they are all out racing.

I rebuilt this Gorski a few years ago. Don't have any actual wiring diagrams but do have more pics if you click the link. I also built my own Gorski double a long time back. Seem to remember someone providing the wiring diagram in that thread here at Slotblog.
Posted Image

If I remember right, it was not so much the diagram that I liked but modeling the routing of the wires from looking at actual pictures of real double micro-switch controllers. In essence, the micro switch bypasses the resistor when the trigger reaches its furthest sweep. This is adjusted by bending the little actuator below and adjusting the placement of the smaller looking braking micro.

Link

Gorski was brilliant in this when he used the frame as a ground for everything. So all switches and the trigger are grounded to the frame. That way the yellow wire and the red wire are tapped into on their way to the respective ends of the resistor.

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#3 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Okay, I found the wiring diagram. What is not shown is where to connect the lead-wires to the clips. In the case of this diagram, connect the black lead to the frame, the red lead to the red pole on the micro and the white lead to the white pole on the micro.
Posted Image
Trust me when I say this... but there is precious little room for lots of wires in the handle when you put switches into it so simply run the wires past and solder to the resistor. Then carefully strip a little section of the insulation off the wire by carving it down to the (carefully) copper and solder that bare wire to the switch pole.

Good luck and post your progress. :)
  • brucefl likes this

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#4 Rickard Five

Rickard Five

Dumb Drag Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info Jairus, I had a killer External resistor controller way back 30 years ago, I sold when the Wing cars took over, and now that the retro stuff has my interest, it's time for another Road Race controller ! But some how I feel so wrong Building and driving Tricked out Retro cars with untrick off the shelf electronic controllers. I've got a great local source for the resistor ans switches, but the wiper block I can't find to save my life, I got one of the Crappy 6 band Parma blocks, so I'm thinking of hand making one or using a PC Board card edge Laminated to a Phenoilic block. Thanks for all the Great pictrurs of the Gorski controller :)
Rick
“I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don’t have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don’t mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don’t need much money. I believe it’s meant to be that way. There’s a ‘struggle’ you have to go through, and if you make a lot of money it doesn’t make the ‘struggle’ go away. It just makes it more complicated. If you keep poor, the struggle is simple.“
–Von Dutch

Rickard Johnston
All images © Rickard5

#5 team burrito

team burrito

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

It would work better in a turbo frame, that's what the holes are for!

Posted Image
Russ Toy (not Troy)
First Place Loser in the JK Products
International D3 Builders Competition

#6 Jairus

Jairus

• Subscriber
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Nice post Russ! Better than soldering on a lower plate too! But not very vintage.

Question tho: Didn't the button contacts pretty much make the micro switches obsolete?

Jairus H Watson - Artist

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net

#7 team burrito

team burrito

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Nice post Russ! Better than soldering on a lower plate too! But not very vintage.

Yes, I remember trying to solder that brass plate onto the zinc-coated steel frame. Wish I had my torch then! The turbo didn't come out until 72' or 73' or somewhere around that time.

Question tho: Didn't the button contacts pretty much make the micro switches obsolete?

Yeah, it did, but I really like that "click-click" sound. :)
Russ Toy (not Troy)
First Place Loser in the JK Products
International D3 Builders Competition

#8 Rickard Five

Rickard Five

Dumb Drag Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

Yes, I remember trying to solder that brass plate onto the zinc-coated steel frame. Wish I had my torch then! The turbo didn't come out until 72' or 73' or somewhere around that time.

Yeah, it did, but I really like that "click-click" sound. :)

Yeah Russ That's kinda my deal too, like the Fleming Hinge Kinda a Dinosaur from a bygone age, but I have started to build one for this controller Just for the Intimidation Factor! I truly Believe that a Tricked out controller like one I'm trying to build will make me a stronger racer for 2 Reasons
First I feel like a better Driver because of having good Equipment
Second it intimidates the Peanut Gallery with a dazzling array of gimmickry

"Merda taurorum animas conturbit"

–Von Dutch

Rickard Johnston
All images © Rickard5

#9 Mr. M

Mr. M

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

I have an old frame DiFalco with double micros from the 80's that I run with a 4 ohm in Group F. I really like the feel and I have worked it to get the drops down to unmeasurable on my meter. Unfortunately, it is not as fast as a modern electronic DiFalco which I have run with side by side comparisons. I think this would translate to any class since it has to do with adjustable braking and sensititivy to get the most on every lane. I do understand the fascination with the double micro though, it does get a lot of second looks followed by "What's that?"
Chris McCarty

Electric Dreams Online Shop