• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#1 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

While the NASCAR tube-frame fake stock cars cannot even race in the rain, the real stock cars made of real car parts show their mettle in wet Bathurst 12-hour race in Australia. CLICK HERE.

Philippe de Lespinay

#2 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

You sound disappointed that you didn't get to see the races today and will have to take a half a day off work tomorrow to watch it. ;)

Do those cars in Australia go/get up to 200 MPH in a single lap??? At any point on the track???

The biggest reason for postponing is to NOT go "up against" the Oscars on TV tonight..... LOL

#3 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

PDL doesn't have to take a "day off" anymore!! He's RETIRED!! :victory:
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#4 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

While the NASCAR tube-frame fake stock cars cannot even race in the rain, the real stock cars made of real car parts show their mettle in wet Bathurst 12-hour race in Australia. CLICK HERE.

Did Bathurst draw 200,000 spectators? Someone apparently likes 'fake' stock cars...

At times your comments are puzzling...

But, everyone is entitled to his opinion.

LM

#5 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

Gee, tell us how you really feel, Dokk. Do I detect just a tad bit of racing snobbery there?

There are many different types of racing from racing cockroaches to Formula 1. What you don't like, or even what I don't like, appeals to someone else, just like slot cars. At least they are racing...that's the attitude to have

MR

"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#6 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

F1, WTC, BTCC etc etc etc all race when it gets wet........................
Ron Thornton

#7 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Do those cars in Australia go/get up to 200 MPH in a single lap??? At any point on the track???

Yes they do, albeit for a short time since the straights only allow it once per lap. I wonder how a NASCAR brick would do with rain tires on that track. I know that the GT cars would do fine at full speed at Daytona since they race there, albeit in a series with little appeal to the masses.

Gee, tell us how you really feel, Dokk. Do I detect just a tad bit of racing snobbery there?

No, only regrets of what NASCAR used to be compared to what it is now. I LOVED NASCAR when they were running real cars. Not too much a fan of the current machinery, and the cost is becoming a bit stupid. A return to true stock car based machinery would be my choice, but hey, why arguing with the 200000 fans there while other tracks hosting NASCAR events cannot pay their bills.

Did Bathurst draw 200,000 spectators?

It generally does. It is a very popular venue, like Spa, Le Mans and the Nurburgring where real cars also race for 12 or 24 hours. The Nurburgring may pack as many as one million spectators over the event.

PDL doesn't have to take a "day off" anymore!! He's RETIRED!!

Damn right, and this is why I went racing yesterday, rain tires at all! Lovely day, sorry you missed it. :)

There are many different types of racing from racing cockroaches to Formula 1. What you don't like, or even what I don't like, appeals to someone else, just like slot cars. At least they are racing...that's the attitude to have

Indeed. I prefer staying away from cockroaches, but not a problem with me if someone enjoys their company. I actually was looking forward relaxing today and watching the "500". But Monday I got better things to do, I am going to try improving my golf game that definitely could stand improvement...

Philippe de Lespinay

#8 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

F1, WTC, BTCC etc etc etc all race when it gets wet........................

Must be great fun for the spectators to get drenched in pouring rain...

LM

#9 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Must be great fun for the spectators to get drenched in pouring rain...

LM

Yes, they are not afraid of a shower like the Nascar fans are. :shok:
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#10 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Yes they do, albeit for a short time since the straights only allow it once per lap. I wonder how a NASCAR brick would do with rain tires on that track. I know that the GT cars would do fine at full speed at Daytona since they race there, albeit in a series with little appeal to the masses.

But, those cars don't 'average' nearly 200 MPH... correct? One would have to be a cretin to suggest competing in the rain on a high-banked oval tracks. Unless I have missed something, the Daytona Prototypes race on the road course...

No, only regrets of what NASCAR used to be compared to what it is now. I LOVED NASCAR when they were running real cars. Not too much a fan of the current machinery, and the cost is becoming a bit stupid. A return to true stock car based machinery would be my choice, but hey, why arguing with the 200000 fans there while other tracks hosting NASCAR events cannot pay their bills.

Racing in NASCAR is still more economical than F1, IndyCar, ALMS etc...

What tracks hosting NASCAR Cup events can not pay their bills? You may be correct, but is their documentation?

#11 Guy Spaulding

Guy Spaulding

Unintentional Instigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Yea. There's a lot to love when NASCAR ran "real cars", killed "real people" and you were sometimes lucky to have more than a few cars finnish on the lead lap.

BTW. They didnt run in the rain back then either.

#12 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Yes, they are not afraid of a shower like the Nascar fans are. :shok:

At least NASCAR fans have enough common sense to come in out of the rain... LOL

Can't say the same from the bore course crowd.

LM

#13 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Yea. There's a lot to love when NASCAR ran "real cars", killed "real people" and you were sometimes lucky to have more than a few cars finnish on the lead lap.

BTW. They didnt run in the rain back then either.

Guy

It just 'seemed' more exciting back then...

Memories fade with age...

LM

#14 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Joe and I were disappointed after waiting 4hrs, but hey, what can ya do?
We'll be watching tomorrow for sure. Only problem is their saying bad weather tomorrow as well.

Vic
Alright, who cut the cheese?

#15 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

Well keep Tuesday's calendar clear...... LOL

#16 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Well GT cars have a little more "downforce" built into them to run in the rain if necessary ;)

And as it's already been said.....back in the day when real drivers drove real cars....THEY DIDN'T RACE IN THE RAIN BACK THEN AND IN THE DAY!!!!!

#17 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

NASCAR is for Girls!!!! :) :) :)

Just ask Dannycar.....
Ron Thornton

#18 Guy Spaulding

Guy Spaulding

Unintentional Instigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

Guy

It just 'seemed' more exciting back then...

Memories fade with age...

LM

You're right, LM. There's something to be said about death defying acts, like auto racing in the old days. Now, I sometimes feel like there's and air of complacency when cars are turned around at 180 MPH, sometimes on purpose.

Excitement?

One might be hard pressed to script a story more exciting than last year's NASCAR championship run between Stewart and Edwards.

Somehow todays videos take away some of the impression of speed. Take for example Kyle Busch, with sparks flying, multiple sideways excursions and saves. somehow it seemed like 80 MPH, not 180!

#19 SteveDee

SteveDee

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

It all ahs to do with cornering speed. Road racing corner speeds, with a few exceptions, seldom exceed 100 mph, and on those corners that are fast, are single file, passing oppertunities are only on the slow corners, where passing is done under braking. When you're running turns at 190, or 220 like at Indy, racing in the wet just don't work. Plus when ever I raced in the rain, it was mostly just a parade, anyway. If I'm going to spend big bucks to go to a race, I sure would rather sit in a chair and be able to see all or at least a reasonable portion of the track, not just seeing the cars pass by me once a lap while sitting on a hillside especially in the rain. And, those Austrailian Super Cars are just a smaller, lighter version on the Nascar car, a purpose built tube frame chassis with the sheet metal draped orver top, but because they reach only 170 or so, and then for only a very short time, aero advantage is much less so a little more leeway in bodies is allowed. Their engine rules are just as restrictive as Nascar, too.
Steven Dietrich

#20 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

NASCAR is for Girls!!!! :) :) :)

Just ask Dannycar.....

LOL but Bernie and F1 would love to have Dannycar in their circus ;)

#21 Dr. Gamma

Dr. Gamma

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

Just loved to see danica throw another hissy fit. Fox called her a "world class" driver today. What a crock!! She is 2 out of 2 so far this week in wrecked cars!!! Can't wait to see what happens if she takes out Smoke, or JR. in some sort stupid crash. By the time she leaves Daytona tomorrow, she will be 3 out of 3!!!

Whats the score so far, out of 79 cars, and trucks in the two races so far. 54 or so have been wrecked by the end of the both races. Wonder what the count will be after the 500 or the 251 if it rains tomorrow. At least all the charities will TONS of bodywork to sell!!!

Robert Kickenapp, AKA RRB (Road Race Bob or when I fell down, I became Road Rash Bob)

"Honest, I swear its stock"  My answer to tech officials at post race teardown many a time.

That bike wouldn't do 150mph if you dropped it down a mineshaft!!!

#22 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

I think Dannycar had to go buy some new panties after the other night. :shok: :shok:
Alright, who cut the cheese?

#23 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Well, when their race has been called for rain, I sure know how to get them going, don't I? :laugh2:

And...

I think Dannycar had to go buy some new panties after the other night.

She is doing a fine job, give her a bit of time.

But, those cars don't 'average' nearly 200 MPH... correct?

Larry, that was not the question. However, if required, the GT cars could easily over-perform the NASCAR machines: same power or more, better aerodynamics, lighter weight... keep your delusions at home please and check the speed attained by CART cars on ovals: 240 MPH average is the record. That was like 12 years ago. A modern, unrestricted GT car will go just as fast... I.E. Bugatti or Koniggsegg. The limit becomes the tires, not the car...

Unless I have missed something, the Daytona Prototypes race on the road course...

The "road course" is composed of 2/3rd of the banked oval, and they do have rain tires and do not stop when the sky pisses a bit. The reason is tnhat the cars can handle the rain, where the big NASCAR cars simply do not have chassis technology able to cope with it.

Racing in NASCAR is still more economical than F1, IndyCar, ALMS etc..

Actually, if the costs in F1 are indeed silly, NASCAR does cost more over a season than IndyCar or ALMS.

Philippe de Lespinay

#24 Guy Spaulding

Guy Spaulding

Unintentional Instigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

She is 2 out of 2 so far this week in wrecked cars!!!

I guess you didnt watch the races.
McMurray came down on Amirola, who wrecked the first car.
Cole Whitt wrecked the 2nd car when he bumped it in the tri-oval.

#25 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Somehow todays videos take away some of the impression of speed. Take for example Kyle Busch, with sparks flying, multiple sideways excursions and saves. somehow it seemed like 80 MPH, not 180!

They have that on the starting line at some of those races "down under"

http://www.topgear.c...rash-2011-05-03

Nascar had the "Car of Tomorrow".....Aussie Super 8 has the "Car of the Future" coming next year.

http://www.v8superca...18/default.aspx

You sure the France family isn't running things down under PDL?

Looks like a Nascar "Spec" car to me.......even a spec tire ;)

http://www.v8superca...92/default.aspx

And rules just like Nascar..... http://www.v8superca...74/Default.aspx

Wow even more like Nascar

A V8 Supercar must have a front-engine design and rear-wheel drive.

Electric Dreams Online Shop