My money was on attrition winning the race :laugh2: :laugh2:

#152 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Horrible race,but great for the people to tune in to watch the wrecks and wrestling. I am sure very few people even care who won. Matt unfortunately is one of those guys that no one cares about.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#153 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

I don't know... the truck's cabin was totally intact, but look at JPM's car, the engine was torn from it! I'd say JPM is the lucky one here.

Well I meant.....15 feet one way.....no fire, no 2 hour delay. 15 the other way......dead? dryer driver.

I would say in the future the dryer truck drivers will be wearing protective gear and some type of helmet after this deal.

Again, the dryer driver was one lucky SOB ;)

#154 Guy Spaulding

Guy Spaulding

Unintentional Instigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Not sure wearing protective gear alone would have helped the dryer driver much if it was 15 the other way at 100+ MPH. Construction of a 4 point mild steel roll cage is pretty cheap protection.

#155 ShootinSparks

ShootinSparks

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Jet dryer driver involved in NASCAR explosion returned from hospital for race ending

Duane Barnes, the driver of the jet dryer truck that was involved in a crazy Daytona 500 crash and explosion, proved his dedication to the sport Monday night.

Barnes' coworker at Michigan International Speedway, the track's Director of Communications Sammie Lukaskiewicz, said Tuesday that Barnes went to the hospital after the accident only as a precaution and tried to hurry through his examination as quickly as possible.

"He wanted to make sure he got out of the hospital with enough time to go back and watch the race," Lukaskiewicz said.

He did, returing to see Matt Kenseth take the checkered flag in front of Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Greg Biffle.

:::::snip:::::

Barnes, a 52-year-old maintenance worker at Michigan International Speedway, declined interview requests on Tuesday. A MIS worker for 24 years, he often travels to assist other International Speedway racetracks with the jet dryer, which is used to quickly dry racing surfaces, Lukaskiewicz said.

:::::snip:::::

As for Barnes, Lukaskiewicz reported that as of Tuesday he seemed unaffected by the crazy accident with Montoya.

"Yeah, he's doing OK," Lukaskiewicz said. "He was back to his old self."

http://www.orlandose...0,1922260.story

Perhaps he saw it coming in his sideview mirror.
:shok:

John Robeson

#156 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Not sure wearing protective gear alone would have helped the dryer driver much if it was 15 the other way at 100+ MPH. Construction of a 4 point mild steel roll cage is pretty cheap protection.

Agreed, but taking into account that all other "safety" workers wear protective gear, one would think all drivers of vehicles on the track would be wearing safety equipment with cars speeding around even under caution periods.

Especially drivers of trucks riding around pulling many gallons of flammable liquids.

What exactly was being used on the dryer? Kerosene, Diesel fuel or Jet Fuel??? I have heard reports and the reports vary as to what exactly was being used to fuel the dryer. I have heard all three of the above.

#157 Guy Spaulding

Guy Spaulding

Unintentional Instigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Absolutely :) Hopefully, NASCAR considers this lesson almost learned the hard way. These vehicles are used for nothing else. So they should be properly equipped, along with the driver. Then, add fuel cells, and the spill might have been averted

#158 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Someone please give Joey Logano some race pack driving lessons. The over rated brat may have had his best finish in a awhile, but he sure tore up a lot of other good cars with his bonehead driving style. I know it looks good for the people that like that sorta stuff, but I bet there are a lot of team owners that would like to have a little conversation with the lad

"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#159 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

Absolutely :) Hopefully, NASCAR considers this lesson almost learned the hard way. These vehicles are used for nothing else. So they should be properly equipped, along with the driver. Then, add fuel cells, and the spill might have been averted

No it's nothing more than a freak deal..... just like when we lost Kenny Irwin and then Adam Petty a short time later. Once Dale Sr was gone.....they took action.

Too little too late

#160 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Someone please give Joey Logano some race pack driving lessons. The over rated brat may have had his best finish in a awhile, but he sure tore up a lot of other good cars with his bonehead driving style. I know it looks good for the people that like that sorta stuff, but I bet there are a lot of team owners that would like to have a little conversation with the lad

That's racing and that's racing at Daytona........ did Joey hit a Dodge or two in the race? Joey isn't the only one who needs some race pack lessons with their bonehead driving styles.

#161 Mike K

Mike K

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

What exactly was being used on the dryer? Kerosene, Diesel fuel or Jet Fuel??? I have heard reports and the reports vary as to what exactly was being used to fuel the dryer. I have heard all three of the above.

Most likely Jet A fuel which is close to diesel fuel, as airlines ofter use sumped fuel to fuel diesel ground equipment. Fortunately for all concerned, the flash point of Jet A and diesel is quite a bit lower than gasoline. Consider how fast the car went up in flames versus the time it took to ignite the leaking fuel from the jet engine on the dryer unit.

Not an expert on racing, but it seems to me that fire suits and fuel cells are in order.....

So much DRAMA for such small cars....
Mike Kravitz

Don't DQ me for having the wrong SHADE of orange on my McLaren... after all, it's ONLY a toy car!!!

#162 Guy Spaulding

Guy Spaulding

Unintentional Instigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

No it's nothing more than a freak deal..... just like when we lost Kenny Irwin and then Adam Petty a short time later. Once Dale Sr was gone.....they took action.

Too little too late

Freak deals are what they must guard against. I think some would consider Dan Weldon's circumstance as a freak deal. That kind of crash with that kind of result could have happened many times over the years.

#163 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Most likely Jet A fuel which is close to diesel fuel, as airlines ofter use sumped fuel to fuel diesel ground equipment. Fortunately for all concerned, the flash point of Jet A and diesel is quite a bit lower than gasoline. Consider how fast the car went up in flames versus the time it took to ignite the leaking fuel from the jet engine on the dryer unit.

Not an expert on racing, but it seems to me that fire suits and fuel cells are in order.....

That makes sense on the Jet A.... I did notice it did not ignite like Gasoline would have.

What is the second type of Jet fuel..... it's a lot more like gas is when it comes to combustion correct?

#164 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Freak deals are what they must guard against. I think some would consider Dan Weldon's circumstance as a freak deal. That kind of crash with that kind of result could have happened many times over the years.

Yep go look at some of those old Indy 500 films of the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. All that continues in 2012...just at a higher rate of speed ;)

#165 Guy Spaulding

Guy Spaulding

Unintentional Instigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Well, remember USAC sprint cars had no roll cage until their technology merged with the Super Modified Sportsman cars of the 60s, about the time when the Don Edmounds kit car came on the scene.

#166 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Well, remember USAC sprint cars had no roll cage until their technology merged with the Super Modified Sportsman cars of the 60s, about the time when the Don Edmounds kit car came on the scene.

Agreed but I was talking about cars going airborne by running over the wheels of another car and launching like Wheldon's did.

Never been addressed and/or "fixed" in the past.

OK back to Fuel.... I was thinking "Avgas" which is totally different than Jet Fuel and more flammable....... used to work pretty good in real race cars years ago.....very high octane back in the day ;)

#167 flem1959

flem1959

Race Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Nascar is probably loving the media attention.
Without the fire, it was a pretty average race.
Mike Fleming

#168 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

Nascar is probably loving the media attention.
Without the fire, it was a pretty average race.

That and the "prime time" audience..... just as the race was close to ending...the drama came with the fire and made many stay up later than normal on a Monday night.

Not sure it will have the same effect as the Cale vs. Allison Bros fight in 79' when the first "flag to flag" coverage race was run on CBS and half of America was snowed in and many watched.

#169 flem1959

flem1959

Race Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

They called it Monday Night Nascar on the CNN interview with Matt Kenseth this morning.
Maybe they`re on to something...
Mike Fleming

#170 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

That's racing and that's racing at Daytona........ did Joey hit a Dodge or two in the race? Joey isn't the only one who needs some race pack lessons with their bonehead driving styles.

Yep, he tore up Keslowski big time, along with about twelve other cars counting both wrecks he started (a ton of Chevys in those groups).. Its a conspiracy, I know. He is secretly working for Toyota to make sure they can win a restrictor plate race.

"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#171 marc

marc

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

fire suit , helmet ,seat belts ,mirrors, flashing lights blinking yellow lights , yellow nylon flag what else did nascar have to do to get mr bozo to use his empty head ...... bottom line you can't fix stupid . kyle bush was chastied for pushing and shoveing i'd like to see a 2 race sit down for this. car broken some thing my foot running to fast on the apron then trying to make the transision to the bank ....any one that been exposed to jet dryers during cool damp conditions is well aware the track surface can be slick from the jet exaust for a short time . running at speed right into the jet exsust is just stupid.
Marc Ronhock

#172 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Have they ever said why the car veered hard right at that point? About the only thing I could think he broke the right axle?

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#173 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

The trailing arm bolt broke.... that was the snap that was heard when Juan left the pits...... when he came in the second time half the bolt was still in place and was visible and they sent him back out.......Juan knew something still wasn't right as the half of bolt remaining was "wiggling" around inside the assembly......... then going down the backstretch..... the half bolt came out and pitched the car sideways at once.

It's not like this hasn't happened before.

#174 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

That and the "prime time" audience..... just as the race was close to ending...the drama came with the fire and made many stay up later than normal on a Monday night.

Not sure it will have the same effect as the Cale vs. Allison Bros fight in 79' when the first "flag to flag" coverage race was run on CBS and half of America was snowed in and many watched.

It was the second highest ever watched.......the 2006 Daytona 500 was the most watched.

http://www.nascar.co...tory/index.html

#175 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

The trailing arm bolt broke.... that was the snap that was heard when Juan left the pits...... when he came in the second time half the bolt was still in place and was visible and they sent him back out.......Juan knew something still wasn't right as the half of bolt remaining was "wiggling" around inside the assembly......... then going down the backstretch..... the half bolt came out and pitched the car sideways at once.

It's not like this hasn't happened before.

I bit too much rear steer, LOL.................

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

Electric Dreams Online Shop