34 replies to this topic

#1 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

IRRA™ has approved the new O/S 473 Ti22R body for Retro Can-Am.

Will D3 approve this body, too?

Ron,

This 473 is similar in dimension to Mac (short) or Kirby (long)?

OS 473 Ti22R.jpg

ti22.jpg

Haruki
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

#2 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,051 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

Haruki,

It is being submitted to D3 as we type. It is a "tad" shorter than the recently-approved Parma Lola Can-Am body.

#3 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

Ron,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I asked the dimension of your 473 because the chassis built by Kamo I raced in the Checkpoint Cup works very well with Kirby Ti22.

But Kirby Ti22 is fragile around the nose.

O/S 473 looks stronger around nose/front section with fins over the front fenders. Is its nose as long as the Kirby Ti22?

Are they available through Eagle Distributing now?

Regards,

Haruki
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

#4 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yes the OS-473 should be at Eagle... unless they have sold out already.

#5 Gus Kelley

Gus Kelley

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Boy oh noy! That body has tons of air devices, giving it a potentially extreme advantage over many if not all of the other approved bodies.

Gus in Sacto
Gus Kelley
12/01/54-7/22/14
Requiescat in Pace

#6 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,465 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

Looks very cool!!

T
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#7 SteveDee

SteveDee

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

While it will probably work very well, I think it is ugly. Why not just add wings to the sides and get it over with?
Steven Dietrich

#8 flem1959

flem1959

Race Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

That's the best looking Retro body I`ve ever seen!

Downforce is good. :clapping:
Mike Fleming

#9 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,498 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Why not just add wings to the sides and get it over with?

This is one of the reasons why D3 limited its bodies to the 1969 racing season, and the car in this guise only appeared in 1970.

While the body could be approved by the D3 Board, it would be over my personal objections. Nothing personal but I believe that it is a perversion of what Retro racing is supposed to be about.

I am not so happy either about the way Parma molded the separate wing of their T163 as a continuation of the body instead of like on the full-size car, stepping it (and that would be stepping it up by over 1/4" in the 1/24 scale). The slippery slope I predicted is happening.

However I am but one person, others may think very differently. So go and hack at it.

#10 SteveDee

SteveDee

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

While I do not always agree with PDL, in this case I do. Retro/D3 has almost become a single body spec series, and that based on a car that was unsuccessful in it's day. What is really a shame, is that there are many really great looking bodies out there that are simply not competitive as everyone has jumped on the higher downforce Ti 22 bandwagon, making the cars so stuck that driving them is getting easier and easier, sorta like junior wing cars instead of scale appearing. My testing has shown that the largest advantage of the Ti 22 is not so much overall down force but due to the tall flat sides acting as a "weather vane" allowing the car to get straighter quicker, hold a tighter line in the bank and donut. Maybe what is needed is an equalizer, such as less spoiler on Ti's to put in a little more driving and handling and take out downforce and some of the horsepower race. Just an opinion, though.
Steven Dietrich

#11 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

I'll have to agree to disagree with you Steve. I believe that the IRRA racing groups have become mainly a single body user, not D3. But to clarify that statement, D3 hasn't due mainly to the founding racing group's track that is used mostly- BPR's King track. if you look at the BPR D3 race reports, not many TIs are run and winning on their King, witness Bryan's win with a Lola 160 at the CPC. Yes, the Tis are more successful on the flat track and on Bryan's car(s).

The small amount of testing of bodies I've done up here in slugg's ville has shown a small advantage to the multiple versions of the TI that are available, some better than others. And we are concerned about the same thing- a one body racing group, so concerned that we have tossed the idea about of restricting/banning TIs. I use as a base line the MAC Lola 160/Ferrazi 312.and apply the thinking that another body either improves or detracts from the car's baseline handling. I have found many bods that do not detract from my baseline. Will I run a 22? Of course, if others are running one and I feel my car needs one to be competitive, as I do like to be competitive.

I am in agreement with PDL on the year of this latest version released of the TI, a 1970 version only (until proven wrong).

I've always have wondered why 1969 was chosen for the date cut off, not that it really matters to me.

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway

#12 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'll have to agree to disagree with you Steve. I believe that the IRRA racing groups have become mainly a single body user, not D3. But to clarify that statement, D3 hasn't due mainly to the founding racing group's track that is used mostly- BPR's King track. if you look at the BPR D3 race reports, not many TIs are run and winning on their King, witness Bryan's win with a Lola 160 at the CPC. Yes, the Tis are more successful on the flat track and on Bryan's car(s).

The small amount of testing of bodies I've done up here in slugg's ville has shown a small advantage to the multiple versions of the TI that are available, some better than others. And we are concerned about the same thing- a one body racing group, so concerned that we have tossed the idea about of restricting/banning TIs. I use as a base line the MAC Lola 160/Ferrazi 312.and apply the thinking that another body either improves or detracts from the car's baseline handling. I have found many bods that do not detract from my baseline. Will I run a 22? Of course, if others are running one and I feel my car needs one to be competitive, as I do like to be competitive.

I am in agreement with PDL on the year of this latest version released of the TI, a 1970 version only (until proven wrong).

I've always have wondered why 1969 was chosen for the date cut off, not that it really matters to me.

There you go...

Problem solved... LOL Ban all Ti-22 bodies from IRRA and D3 racing.

Only Ferrari, Lola, Porsche etc. bodies permitted.

Anyone care to wager that after the next body 'enhancement' we will be back to a 'one body' class again... LOL

One of my Penn-Ohio Series racers suggested that we pick one body, and make it the designated 'spec' body for the series... I think the ISRA World Championship does that for the Eurosport class to eliminate 'body wars'?... Folks are getting frustrated having bodies obsoleted in the middle of a season, after spending money and time to prep them.

Perhaps a rule that no 'new' bodies will be permitted or approved after an arbitrary Sept. 1 date? Go ahead and make them, but you just can't use them until the following Sept.

Same thing should hold true for 'new' chassis plates, and anything else that gives the 'perception' of being a better mouse trap.

Motors are frozen, why not other components?

LM

#13 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

Raceways need to stay open, selling parts is a good way to to keep them open.

Thank you Ron for giving me a reason to spend money at my track.

Those who work for a living are being quickly overwhelmed by those who vote for a living.

Thomas Jefferson: "Paper is poverty. It is only the ghost of money, and not money itself."
-David Parrotta

#14 RomanK

RomanK

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hmmmm, restrictions on submitted parts? maybe the USRA ain't so dumb after all LOL

FYI, the JK TI-22 is the body of choice on the gerding King at the TRACK.

This latest OS TI-22 looks very promising.

Roman Kormeluk

#15 RomanK

RomanK

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

My aplogies, I just realized I was posting in the D3 section. Please delete if not appropriate.

Roman Kormeluk

#16 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,637 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

IRRA legal bodies are welcome on the third Satuirday of the month on the flat track for the CanAm class.
Foamy was working on his Hanada chassis this last Saturday and one will be on the way for me.
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#17 SteveDee

SteveDee

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

OK, I apologize for lumping D3 in with the IRRA, they are more different than I first thought, and, living in the east I only know of D3 what I read here. I wish people would stop twisting what is said here to justify their own positions, I merely wish that there would be a greater varity of bodies that would be competitive that the on model races that I see here, it's kind of boring the way it is now.
Steven Dietrich

#18 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

IRRA legal bodies are welcome on the third Satuirday of the month on the flat track for the CanAm class.
Foamy was working on his Hanada chassis this last Saturday and one will be on the way for me.

They also are at the SCRRA races at BP on the 2nd Sat of every month and that may be expanded soon from what I have heard of late ;)

#19 Sax555

Sax555

SAX555

• PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

I agree with Steve!!Lets just put wings on them and get it over with...REMIND YOU OF THE EARLY 80's
Robert Saxvik

#20 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

This is one of the reasons why D3 limited its bodies to the 1969 racing season, and the car in this guise only appeared in 1970.

While the body could be approved by the D3 Board, it would be over my personal objections. Nothing personal but I believe that it is a perversion of what Retro racing is supposed to be about.

I am not so happy either about the way Parma molded the separate wing of their T163 as a continuation of the body instead of like on the full-size car, stepping it (and that would be stepping it up by over 1/4" in the 1/24 scale). The slippery slope I predicted is happening.

However I am but one person, others may think very differently. So go and hack at it.

1970 ti22.jpg
The above photo is about Lagna Seca/1970 from "Can-Am Racing 1970-1974 by Brooklands Books."

Philippe-san,

You are right. The Ti 22 did not have vertical fins on its front fenders until the beginning of 1970 Can-Am season.
I had made a mistake to believe it was 1969.
I respect the present body rule of D3 limiting its legal bodies of Retro Can-Am & F-1 before and in 1969.
So my original question is meaningless.
D3 should stick to its original vision/rule.
As with the case of True Scale's BRM, bodies in the 70's may be raced but it should be as local options.
Tokyo D3 might allow our racers race OS 473 but I will not race the body in D3's event like the Western States.

At Tokyo D3, as you see in Keith's great race reports, our racers enjoy using/winning on the King track with a variety of Can-Am bodies, not with Ti's only.
It is all depending on characteristics of driving/ chassis construction that would decide the racers' choice of Can-Am bodies.

Good racing,

Haruki
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

#21 Lucky Me

Lucky Me

Rick Maynard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

There you go...

Problem solved... LOL Ban all Ti-22 bodies from IRRA and D3 racing.

Only Ferrari, Lola, Porsche etc. bodies permitted.

Anyone care to wager that after the next body 'enhancement' we will be back to a 'one body' class again... LOL

One of my Penn-Ohio Series racers suggested that we pick one body, and make it the designated 'spec' body for the series... I think the ISRA World Championship does that for the Eurosport class to eliminate 'body wars'?... Folks are getting frustrated having bodies obsoleted in the middle of a season, after spending money and time to prep them.

Perhaps a rule that no 'new' bodies will be permitted or approved after an arbitrary Sept. 1 date? Go ahead and make them, but you just can't use them until the following Sept.

Same thing should hold true for 'new' chassis plates, and anything else that gives the 'perception' of being a better mouse trap.

Motors are frozen, why not other components?

LM

LOL ! Getting frustrated because the body"s become obsoleted halfway through the season !

How about having a body obsoleted beyond use halfway through 1 race or let's be generous and say 1 "complete" race.

Man, If I could get a body to last a half a season in ANY class I would be in disbelief, of course you have to race obviously.

Good One Larry . :laugh2:
Rick Maynard
Build it, Race it, Break it, Fix it !

Don't Outsmart Common Sense !

#22 JohnnySlotcar

JohnnySlotcar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

Try bulletproofing your bodies with the materials available. For the lost .02 or so each lap, I have bodies that are 2 years old with 6 plus races on them that look and race as new.Maybe you should also vary your driving so that you are not piling into "the big one" LOL!!
John Austin

#23 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,498 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Philippe-san,

You are right. The Ti 22 did not have vertical fins on its front fenders until the beginning of 1970 Can-Am season.
I had made a mistake to believe it was 1969.
I respect the present body rule of D3 limiting its legal bodies of Retro Can-Am & F-1 before and in 1969.

Haruki,
No problem at all. The original 1969 date was devised mostly because some of us wanted to avoid the slippery slope of "new and improved" bodies that is, as I predicted then, now happening, one body at a time. Some think it is great, I personally do not and object to it, but I am only a small voice in the general noise nowadays. So, whatever.

For the 1969 Kirby Ti22 model that we use on the flat track at BPR with the longer nose, I have devised a reinforcement that I also use on my Retro Pro bodies now and I use the same trick we used in the old days, a piece of 10-thou Mylar (that's much stronger than Lexan) that is bent at 90-degree on each side, then stapled and taped under the body. It has worked real well for me and the bodies last and last, almost to a point where they are almost bullet proof.
If the body supplier used good quality Lexan and the body is pulled evenly, it should have nearly all of its 10-thou thickness all over.
As far as the Ti22 bodies on the King track, I think that they slow us down too much and I vastly prefer the Lola T160 or that old Champion Ferrari vintage body that I have been using in the past two races, with not much of a rear spoiler, because it is so much faster in a straight line and allows me to lower the gear ratio by one tooth at the crown with no ill effects. Hence when the car gets to the chute after the banking, it is substantially faster. The measured difference in lap time between the two types of bodies with the same ratio is nearly 1/10" of a second per lap, then another 1/10" with the smaller crown.
When the down force between the two bodies (Ti22 and Lola) is measured on a scale with airflow from an air gun, there is a nearly10-gram difference, and 10 grams are a lot when the overall drag is considered.
I have never tried the Kirby 1972 BRM yet but I am pretty sure that its down force is lower than that of the Kirby Ti22.
Now, you are in Japan, we are in California, so please don't let little me stop you from running whatever you like!

#24 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hello Philippe,

Mostly on our King track, I use Lola T-160(Mac) for Can-Am.
As you mentioned in your thread, it is much faster on straight and it handles very neutral on corners.
Recently i have tried Kirby Ti22 with lighter chassis.
This combination, to me, has brought better handling on the donuts.
Owing to more down-force, however, Kirby Ti 22 is apt to become slower toward the end of race even with a smaller rear spoiler.

Anyway, it is very fun & interesting to compare various different bodies.

Keep racing,

Haruki
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

#25 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,498 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

Yes indeed, and everything is a fine balance between low drag and cornering speed... :) Hence, once the chassis is set, the position of the body (front to rear tilt, forward of back mounting...) becomes as critical as the proper tire choice depending on track conditions... and this is when one pulls his hair out! :laugh2:

#26 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

At Tokyo D3, as you see in Keith's great race reports, our racers enjoy using/winning on the King track with a variety of Can-Am bodies, not with Ti's only.
It is all depending on characteristics of driving/ chassis construction that would decide the racers' choice of Can-Am bodies.

Good racing,

Haruki

Yes a wide variety of bodies are being used in Toyko..... I have noticed that the past 7 or 8 Can-Am races have been won by racers choosing and using the OS-451 Ferrari 612 ;)

#27 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

Owing to more down-force, however, Kirby Ti 22 is apt to become slower toward the end of race even with a smaller rear spoiler.

Yep the TI-22 can be a "motor killer" especially with those temperamental FK motors. If the motor supplier used a better grade of brush material and spring material it should have equal performance in all 8 heats of a race. ;)

If the body supplier used good quality Lexan and the body is pulled evenly, it should have nearly all of its 10-thou thickness all over.

Is there any better quality of Lexan other than GE/Sabic PDL??? If so do you know this from personal experience lately?

#28 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

LOL ! Getting frustrated because the body"s become obsoleted halfway through the season !

How about having a body obsoleted beyond use halfway through 1 race or let's be generous and say 1 "complete" race.

Man, If I could get a body to last a half a season in ANY class I would be in disbelief, of course you have to race obviously.

Good One Larry . :laugh2:

Rick

Many guys in our series paint many bodies at one time, so they have a seasons worth of bodies.

When new bodies are released, it obsoletes the stock of prepared bodies.

Doesn't affect those who paint a new body for each race, and have no accumulated stock. IE: I have six 'old' Ti-22 bodies in stock, which are now rendered worthless as the 'R' version is reported to be a tenth of a second faster

No big deal. I will join everyone to hold hands around rhe track and sing cum-bay-yah...LOL

LM

LM

#29 Lucky Me

Lucky Me

Rick Maynard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Rick

Many guys in our series paint many bodies at one time, so they have a seasons worth of bodies.

When new bodies are released, it obsoletes the stock of prepared bodies.

Doesn't affect those who paint a new body for each race, and have no accumulated stock. IE: I have six 'old' Ti-22 bodies in stock, which are now rendered worthless as the 'R' version is reported to be a tenth of a second faster

No big deal. I will join everyone to hold hands around rhe track and sing cum-bay-yah...LOL

LM

LM

I get it Larry,

I think the jury has spoken on the TI22R to soon, I remember when the standard version "O/S" TI22 was accross all 8 lanes at every race and then all of a sudden someone started kicking butt with the 612 "O/S 414?" and everyone started using the 612, then the Ti started making a comeback, and now you have the "R" version, will it be good ? probably, does that mean everyone you race against with one will be a .10 quicker ? dont think so. Does that mean the 612 is a piece of crap now? dont think so, will the "R" version be a dominate body at the R4/5 ? probably, will it win? who know's, I say the best car, a little luck, and the best finger will !

Just my nickel's worth.

P.S.
I f you really think your TI's are obsolete I will take them :)
Rick Maynard
Build it, Race it, Break it, Fix it !

Don't Outsmart Common Sense !

#30 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,930 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

First of all you guys assume that the new TI 22 is going to obsolete eveything else. I seriously doubt it. There are some minor differences to the original one but very minor and I am not sure they are going to add anything. I've mounted a couple in the approval process and they are a bit different but not much.

Of course you know it does not matter if any body is banned or not as whoever wins one of the big races will usually have those watching ordering the body used the next day.

Think about it. Remember when Ron won with a Ferrari at TT? They started to appear like crazy. Ron runs a Dynamic GT and bingo I see them showing up.

I'd pay a lot more attention to what's under his bodies and whether he blinks 3 or 4 times a lap.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#31 NJ SpeedZone

NJ SpeedZone

On The Lead Lap

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hey Rick m. Call me at speedzone I have at least 35 in stock if ya want em
Robert Geibel/Mike Iles

#32 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

I'd pay a lot more attention to what's under his bodies and whether he blinks 3 or 4 times a lap.

He Blinks? :shok:

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway

#33 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

I don't have a dog in this fight. The advantage of being a slow guy is that you can run bodies that you like to see on the track and I do so on occasion. Just built a car for a Lancer T-70 because I had to with the dimensions so different now than when this body came out and I had wnanted to since I was 12. I must say it was a lot of fun and I'm still sorting the car out-narrow width...very wicked. That's fun too.

One thing stands out in my mind looking at the photo of the TI-22 "R" body. The front fender ribs and the air dam ridge look to be about 1/8" wide. I don't have one to measure. If you extrapolate that out to 1/1 these would be 3" thick on the real car! They don't look that thick in the photo of the car. Don't get me wrong I don't view retro as a "scale" series, but at what point are we pushing the limits a litttle too much?

#34 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

From my view in the C-main, I'm not getting excited about the deal...

I'm running the bodies I have for the remainder of the year.

But...

Talking with a number of people who HAVE tested... the Ti-22R is generally a tenth of a second faster than the original version. :good: Why would someone buy and race a slower body, when a faster version is available?

And Noose is correct... people will copy what the winners race. Human nature. Folks in 1:1 racing do it every week.

I do have to wonder... what is Jay Kisling going to do with 35 bodies that are a tenth slower? I guess he pays the penalty for maintaining a well stocked inventory for his racers... :dash2:

LM

#35 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,498 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Haruki's question has been answered, if some of you gentlemen wish to debate this matter further, please open a new thread in a relevant sub forum, thanks in advance.

Electric Dreams Online Shop