• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 Roho21

Roho21

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

During drive home last night, I had plenty of time to think about "the happening" I just attended. First off a BIG hand to Mike and his crew for putting on a great show. Everything was awesome! Mike and Eric did a great job as race directors (it's a thankless job, trust me I know). Jessica and her mom worked their tail off. I don't think Jessica stopped moving all weekend! It was an excellent show!

The most memorable moment for me was Matt Bruce's touching heart felt tribute as he presented the Mac Award to Sano Dave Fiedler. You could tell it came from the heart. Later that day. I had the pleasure of meeting Sano Dave and after 5 minutes, I understood Matt's feelings. This guy is great. Not only is he a legend in our hobby/sport, but he just a great all around guy with the best outlook on life that I have seen in a longtime. In the face of adversity, the likes of which I can't comprehend, he has a better attitude than most people who have no problems in life. I only wish that I can have the strength and attitude in my life that he has. I was truly impressed. The first thing Dave taught me was something I mentioned in the first line of the post. This is a "happening". An event like this weekend was a meeting of friends where a race broke out. If we all would choosed to look at slotracing this way, I feel it would last forever. Thank you Dave, you have given me more than you know.

I also had the pleasure meeting another legend, Howie Ursaner I.S.B. Howie spent abut 30 mins telling me his life story and it was the coolest thing I have heard in a while. I also learned Howie is a rock star! You gotta go to YouTube and search Howie and the Gomers and watch Howie perform Alice Cooper! It was very cool! He had me laughing so hard. If you ever get the chance to talk to him, you gotta hear this awesome story. It may be just the way Howie tells it, but it I sure enjoyed the time listening to it. Thanks, Howie.

Then of course there is Jersey John. The big tough Jersey guy, with the big tough Jersey attitude. As we were standing in the lunch line, John began to say a few things that maybe should be for an R rated audience. When he realized that my rten-year-old daughter, Angelina was standing right behind him, he melted! He became a like a loving grandfather as he apologized to her gave her a hug, covered her ears and said "Don't listen to the bad man!" It was the was great. He is a great guy, Angelina loved him. Looking forward to seeing him at the Southern Shootout when comes down get some southern hospitality he kept talking about.

I also met Ron Hershman for the first time in person. I know some people love him, some people maybe not so much, but I gotta give him credit, he was perfectly nice to me and Angelina. I think she said "Hey Ron" everytime she walked by. Even if he was busy he always spoke back to her. He is also starting to become a decent driver! ;) Thanks Ron.

Got to meet several others I have done business with and had conversations with like Rick Bennardo and his son from RGeo, Dave from Precision, Mike Swiss from Chicagoland, Steve Koepp from Parma/PSE, also Mike McDowell from Parma/PSE, we finally had a chance to meet face to face anbd discuss the FCR-NCS. Great people, each and every one.

We saw a lot of great racers like Jay Kisling, Rick Davis,, Chris Radisich, Cap Henry and many others. If you have never been to one of these events, you can't imagine how good some of these guys are!

Battle of the weekend for me was in the F1 race. Ron Hershman and Cap Henry had one heat that started with their cars about 2 car lengths apart, and I swear to to you, they were never more than 5 lengths aparts during the whole 3 mins! It was truly amazing! Best battle I think I have ever seen that lasted that long. My hat's off to you gentlemen. :hi:

As far as my race went, it was a learning experience for me. This was only my second time on a King track. I looked at this weekend as just that, a chance to learn. I had some bad luck, broke a guide on lap 12 of teh GTC-PD race, and got bit by the bad rubber thats going around in the F1 race. Can-Am went a little better, ran some good laps, learned alot about the track. Should be much better next year.

I passed the Noose tech all 3 times on the first try!

I have made the decision to add the Lapmaster program to our track before the Southern Shootout on April. It's an awesome system! Also working on a live video feed as well.

It was cool to have my brother Mick there for his first big event. He's kinda new to Retro, but getting it figured out.

The only thing that would have made it better was if my buddy Rick Crutchfield would have been there.

A big thanks to Randal Lane for being our "transport driver" and pit help. Couldn't have done it without him!

All in all can't wait to go back to the next "happening"

Roger Holtsclaw

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

I thought Eric did a great job as race director, too.

Did you hear Chris Barnes whispering the break time remaining in his ear so Eric didn't have to watch the clock? Teamwork!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Catch22

Catch22

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

This was my first big slot racing event and first time running on that style track. Struggled a lot in practice and qualifying. But started to learn the track.

Meet some great people and had a blast. Can't wait to get back there again.

Congratulations to all the race winners.

Mike Holtsclaw AKA Mick
Owner: Catch 22 Motorsports

Owner: MH Slot boxes

#4 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Thank you, Roger, for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I find it particularly interesting reading what first time participants have to say.
That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#5 Rick Crutchfield

Rick Crutchfield

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Roger,

I sure missed being at the R4 racing with you guys, too.

Sometimes we have to put slot car races on the back burner for the family. My 82-year-old mother had her family reunion scheduled for this weekend. How do you tell your Mom you won't be able to make it because you want to go race little toy cars? Hopefully next year I can make it!

Great watching some of the live feed. You guys are too good for me but I will be happy just talking to the legends and running in the D, E, or F Mains!

Rick Crutchfield

#6 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

This year's R4 set the bar even higher than previous events. Very well thought-out and executed plan. Everything went along very smoothly and made it a great race for all there. If you missed it, you missed one super duper race!!

As mentioned hats off to Mike and Erik for the good race directing. Cindy and Jessica do SOOOO much to allow Mike to have his time doing what he does. It cannot be said enough times how hard those two ladies work for us.

Once again racing so close its amazing to watch it all go down. Congrats to all the winners. Is always really nice to visit with people you only see once a year, in many cases. Nothing in Retro compares to the magnitude of this one race.

Was great to meet Roger and Mick and company from Tenn. Pitted next to Howie that seems to get spread out more and more and more as the days go on, LMAO. Tough break in F1, Howie.

I can't express how proud I am of Team R-Geo this weekend. Congrats to Greg Van Peenen for making the semis in Can-Am. He builds some fast stuff. Congrats to Chris Radisich for two podiums in F1 and Can-Am.

My heart goes out to James Merriman, he worked so hard the last month building and sending chassis back and forth. The cars were outstanding! James came up just a few inches short for the last Podium in Can-Am.

Contrats to Rick II for his one and done GTC race and making both A Mains. Move him up! LOL.

But to get James, Chris, and Ricky into both A Mains was more than I could have wished for.

To boot, Cap Henry and Chris Barnes also making the F1 A Main and Cap nipping a win. Woo-Hooo Tough luck award goes to Cap, he had the move-up locked when he got gathered up, knocked a magnet loose, and his motor locked up, in Can-Am.

Thanks to everyone that helped to make this weekend what it was. Congratulations to (RPM) Rande Marshall, he builds the great cars and Ron Hershman for driving the wheels off them. Awesome job, guys.

I know you hear every year, I should have gone, yadda yadda, yadda. Yes, you should go and just be there for the experience and to meet so many top racers and builders. You learn something new every year and this year is no exception. Entries were up some this year a little and that's good to see.

And for the record: I passed tech all three times on the first try this year!!!

Thanks to everyone. This one will be remembered a long time...

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#7 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

This event was awesome this year! The McMasters put on a great race, and everyone makes you feel welcome!

First off, Congrats to my buddy Ricky on winning the GTC-FK race, and making all the mains! Been awesome racing with you this year!

I gotta thank everyone that helped with my F1 win. Mike Muir built me a killer car, Parma made an awesome body, and David was a great pit guy! That race was the most nerve-wracking event of my life! Thanks again to Mike, Parma, Precision Slot Cars, R-Geo, HMS, and David Krumnow!

And hanging out with my buddies Kisling, Matt Bruce, Sano Dave, James Merriman, Steve Koepp, and Bud Bartos was awesome. James gave me a trigger after I broke one Saturday, and refused to let me buy it! Thanks again!

And a special thanks to Greg Van Peenen. He saved me Sunday, as my best Can-Am car was terrible! I wish I could have made the Main for you, Greg.

Can't wait for R4/6! :)

#8 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Cap,

I watched that race and it was a killer! Beating Ron, who is one of the most talented racers in the history of the hobby, is enough to make anyone very proud, and you should be.

That was some race!

And it is good to hear that Mike McMasters and his family run a tight ship. :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#9 Precision-Slotcars

Precision-Slotcars

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Thanks to all the Precision Slot Cars race team sponsors!

Pro Slot, New Jersey SpeedZone, The Groove, Mid-America Raceway, and the Flying Slot Factory.
Dave Mountz
Built to win! ALL PSC race team members build exclusively with Precision Slot Car products!

PCSC-LOGO-1-small-1.jpgProSlotLogoLarge100x61.jpg   usa.jpg

Build with Precision - pslotcar.com
Buy 'em here - Precision Slot Cars store
See it all - Precision Slot Cars on Facebook

All designs, products, and trademarks are the sole property of Precision Slot Cars © 2014

#10 JohnnySlotcar

JohnnySlotcar

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thank you to Precision Slot Cars for the wonderful building jig I received as a race prize for winning the first coupe race. I will certainly put it to good use.
John Austin

#11 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

First and most important thanks to Cindy, Jessica, Mike, and the crew at Tom Thumb Hobbies for a great event. All ran smoothly and quickly for the number of entrants involved. Every need was taken care of, all you had to do was race and socialize.

Without the support of the manufacturers, suppliers, and cottage industry types this would not be possible. Thanks to Boogie Bodies, O/S Bodies, and Matt Shelton interiors for the prizes I won. Thanks to all the other contributors and I'm sure I will miss some in the list: FSF Stickers and Retro supplies, Fast Ones, Pro Slot, TSR motors, R-Geo, Mid-America Raceway, Precision Slot Car Products, Noose Custom Paint, Parma, Pro Slot, and to those I missed.

Working with Joe in the tech area is always interesting. Tech seemed to go smoother this year. Everyone was better prepared for this race, and it showed in the level of competition.

As I said in a separate post the F1 race between Ron and Cap that they kept each other honest was only overshadowed by the Can-Am final, where going into the last lane it was still a three-way run between Ron, Rande, and Chris. Watching the ebb and flow in that race was classic. I like both Ron and Chris but I was rooting for Rande because of all the work he does to help out any racer at the track.

And working to help any racer was Gina marshaling practice, Chris Barnes and the gang got her some flowers which were well-deserved. Also I want to thank Gina for taking some of the photos while I was taking the car pics.

Another unsung hero was Eric Balicki who gave much if not all his spare time to either directing races or running qualifying sessions: it wouldn't have happened without you!

This could go on a lot longer and still not cover all I want, but I'm tired. The pics are up HERE. Not all the captions are filled in but you know who you are.

Bill
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#12 Chris Radisich

Chris Radisich

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

Another great R4 event. As always thanks to Mike, Cindy and Jessica, Eric, one of the best and most consistent directors out there (watch out Andy Wasserman!) and of course Noose and Bill for their huge contributions.

As the previous R4's I've been to this one was great fun, and it was good to catch up with everyone, and to see my model car teammate Howie (nice NOT sharing a room with you!), and of course Sano Dave.

it was fantastic to finally get to race with my teammate James Merriman. We've been working together on developing the new R-Geo cars for almost a year, yet this is the first time we actually made it to a race together. it was great to be able to discuss what we were doing in person for a change. The chassis James built for this race can only be described as awesome.

Through a series of events, my coupe car was not quite where we wanted it to be, yet it was still crazy fast and good enough for a solid second. Congrats to Ron on his coupe win and TQ. I thought my 4.71 qualifying lap might have held up until you cut me with a 4.70. Not very often I am that close to TQ.

The F1 car was just an awesome piece, by far the best F1 car I have ever driven. To run 4.8's lap after lap on red while trying to run down Cap and Ron was just amazing, and who knows what would have happened if we had a 9 heat race. I just wish my tire choice had worked a little better earlier in the race. Congrats to Cap on the win, a well judged race, and to Ron for his second place.

Not much I can say about the Can-Am car, except another awesome James Merriman build of the R-Geo Dragon Slayer. For the first time ever I had to choose between two incredible Can-Am cars in practice, both the same speed, and I got everything out of the one I ran in the race. The lane picking strategy was quite interesting as we all knew Blue would probably decide the race as it was so slippery in the donut. I chose to start on white, putting blue in the middle for me, while Ron started on yellow, running blue later than me, which paid off for him, running 8 tenths of a lap more than me on blue. No matter what, that was one of the best races I have ever been in, with the lead changing back and forth between Ron, Rande and myself as we moved from lane to lane, and really any of us could have won it. Congrats Ron on the win, and congrats to Rande for his third. Rande sure was fast down the straights with the Fast Ones first string horsepower!

Congrats to both my teammates James Merriman and Ricky Bennardo on making both A mains with me. it was great to have some teammates in there, and both of you did an amazing job to get there in the face of the huge competition. Thanks as always to Main Winner R-Geo Rick. We've come a long way since we've been working on this together, and this weekend was another huge step. We're not looking for tenths anymore, now it's those hundredths and thousandths. Thanks also to Dan at Pro slot for the top motor refurbishing and to Paul at Alpha for the consistent and nice grippy tires that held up in the changeable conditions. Outisight for the new Ti22 that offered so much more downforce for coping with the conditions, and to Parma for the new Lola Coupe which helped settle my car down so much around the donut, and the F1 Matra that just did amazing things for my F1 car.

Thanks also to all the other racers, it was fun meeting those of you I had not met before, and of course it was fun racing with everyone, especially in the huge fields that we had. Anyone who has not raced in that big of a field really needs to come and be part of it, it's an amazing experience.

In closing, another huge thanks to chassis builder James Merriman, his builds are fantastic, and he is incredible to work with, and he is an incredibly fast racer (who had not raced a Retro car himself for many months before the R4). There are the great trendsetters of chassis building in Retro like Tony P, Dennis Samson, and Bryan Warmack, it won't be long before James joins that elite list.

#13 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

It was a great weekend of racing on all levels and all classes. Non-stop action not to mention the racing atmosphere one felt and enjoyed the whole weekend.

Congrats to all the winners on all the consis and mains. The competition is getting closer and closer, as evidenced by the close lap totals and qualifying times. There was a race or two that was decided on literally the last lap and you don't get much closer than the finish of the Can-Am where the difference between third and fourth was about a foot after eight segments. Dividing the field by qualifying helps the people of similar skill sets in both mechanical and driving ability race compete in the same races. It led to some exciting racing and many grateful and happy racers.

Thanks to all the racers who traveled long distances and helped to make the racing weekend truly diverse and a "gathering the the clans". Thanks to Eric B. for doing a lot of the race directing in a fair and concise way.

Last, but not least thanks to Mike and Cindy McMasters and their extended family and staff for hosting the event that has become one of, if not the, premier races of the year. The hospitality and gracious hosting was appreciated by all the racers. A good time was had by all.

If you didn't make it this year. Plan on it for next. It's worth the trip.

#14 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

R4 Cat Fan-3.12.12.JPG

Fans of R4 streaming come in all shapes and types!

#15 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,175 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

Another year, another tech line. LOL. Many, many thanks to the McMasters for being such great hosts and for running one super event. It was great to see everyone again and have the usual laughs we all seem to have at these events.

Thanks to all for making tech the smoothest yet at a major race. The scheduling format for practice, tech, etc., worked fantastic. I got a kick out of announcing that Rick Sr. passed tech on his first time through. Now so everyone knows, not only were all the cars teched the first time, but the top 16 then the top 8 were also done. Then, all of the podium cars in every class were given a real good going over after each of the races. Everything was in order and no culprits to call out here.

One of the things that makes it fun is having my sidekick Bill Fulmer with me at tech and this year he was also my room-mate. We had some good laughs and I wonder if Chris Radisich will honor that legal document Bill made up and gave to him for stealing his racing colors. LMAO

Congrats to all of the podium winners. A huge congrats to Cap Henry, Rick Jr., and Rande Marshall for their outstanding performance at this event. Merriman amazes me since I know he does not race that often and probably has more laps now on this track then he does at any track near him in GA.

As always, congrats to my Retro East buds, Chris Radisich and Matt Bruce, for making us proud.

Finally, congrats to Bill Fulmer on his concours win with a Noose body and to Steve Koepp on his two Concours wins that even had some of my work in them.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#16 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

My Observations: After five years Tom Thumb appears to have the race format down to a science. Hats off to a well run show...

Race directing was EXCELLENT. Consistent through every main...

Race format works well, and should be the model for ALL major races. Drivers have to RACE to win this one...

The F1 main was probably the the best slot car race I ever witnessed...

Interesting: when someone asked Cap Henry which was more intense... racing a 410 sprint car, or slot racing, he quickly replied 'slot racing'...

Watching the expression on the face of Roger Holtsclaw's daughter when she first viewed Al Rutti's driving-style, which could be characterized as somewhere between a man suffering from constipation, or having heart attack...

Has anyone witnessed Jay Kisling ever being more relaxed at a slot car race?

The R4 seems to bring out new chassis developments every year. Last year it was the 'Twistamon'. The year Greg VanPeenen stole the show with his multi-rail creations. Cap Henry's Can-Am car had 22 rails. Car had never been on a track before, and aside from motor problems it appeared Cap would have been in contention for a win...

Was good to see some youth at the race this year, as there were several teenage and tween drivers in the field. One young man Dave (can't recall his last name) was driving in his first slot car race...

Good to see Rick Bennardo Jr. do well after a fifteen-year layoff from slot cars...

Thought the playing of the National Anthem to open Friday's races was a nice touch...

Great touching base with Jersey John and NJ mafia again...

Sano Dave Fiedler receiving the Mac award was a highlight. There wasn't a more upbeat guy in the house all weekend. Everyone should have Dave's outlook on life...

Attended the Saturday night racers party for the first time. Interesting social dynamic is that racers tend to sit with their counterparts.

Was fun to see Bob Sax try to talk Cap Henry into racing his Hydro boat this summer. Bob told him he had a Kevlar driving suit for him. Cap replied that he wasn't interested in racing anything that required him to wear Kevlar...

I left the party when Rick Bennardo started to sing...

My congrats to everyone who attended, and to all the winners. Special thanks to my partner in crime, Dan Myers, who kept me in good race cars all weekend. I was rusty after a five-month layoff, but it was good just to be there.

Raced in the first Can-Am Main... Following a five hour plus drive home I watched the Can-Am main in the comfort of my home. Priceless...

LM

Edited by cheater, 13 March 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#17 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Thanks to Mike, Cindy, Jessica, Eric, and the rest of the TT crew for hosting another terrific R4.

Of course, also to Noose and Bill Fulmer, for the great job they do with teching and documentation. I firmly believe the professional job they do has been very instrumental in the rise of Retro racing.

Despite my lousy performance on the track, I still had a great time. It was super-fun pitting next to Steve Koepp and Bud Bartos and witnessing their return to slot racing, and their immediate success in Retro.

Congrats to:
1) the RPM crew on their always-terrific performance, especially Rande, for joining Ron, on the Can-Am podium.
2) Cap Henry on his F1 win. His performance holding off two of Retro's best, Ron and Chris, was something to behold.
3) Chris R., Ricky Jr., and James of the R-Geo team on their stellar job, winning, podiuming, and almost podiuming.
4) the other podiums, Rick M and Josh C.
5) the other Main competitors and heat winners.

Thanks to:
1) Rande and the RPM team for a loaner in Coupe. More impressive was him and Ron lending a car to new racer at the event. Very classy.
2) Gina for her usual great help. As I was leaving on Sunday, it was nice to see her get recognized for her help around the track during practice. Now if she could only figure out how to get get Shadow Dave fully dressed in the morning. LOL.
3) Sharon Bruce, for helping out Cindy in the lunch line.
4) Manta Ray and John Austin, for letting me hitch a ride with them and Manta, again, for his race help.
5) Howie, for having a spare bed for me at Casa de Legende.
6) Anyone I missed.

The only thing I regret was, while standing outside the raceway, discussing raceway business with my wife, missing most of Matt Bruce's speech and Sano Dave receiving the Mac Award.

Hopefully that was recorded on Ustream.

Hope to see everyone next year.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#18 shadow

shadow

The Shadow Knows...

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

It's Gina...

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the beautiful roses and kind words. I know how much you guys appreciate my help and I'm happy to be able to do it. You are quite a fun bunch to hang out with LOL... And I love the new addition to my car's tail light - you know who you are!!!

Until next time we meet, take care and stay well.
Dave Simerka

#19 boogieman1

boogieman1

Backmarker

• Member at Peace
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Had a good time. The race director stuttered once, Boogie beat Randy, Boogie beat Randy, Boogie beat Randy.

Mike Swiss,the answer is capitol I.

I know betting is illegal, so the quarters I have with names on them (Michigan racers) must be body deposits!

Thanks to all that made it happen.

Just glad to be there!

BOOGIEMAN
Jerry 'Boogie Man' Wyant
11/28/51-3/13/124
Requiescat in Pace
November 28, 1951 - March 13, 2024
November 28, 1951 - March 13, 2024November 28, 1951 - March 13, 2024

#20 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Wow, what a great event, especially having Sano Dave share the mac salad with me this time...

As previously stated, this kind of event takes an incredible amount of planning, skill, and labor. Mikey Black, Cindy, Jess, Crazy Mike, and Eric, thank you for giving us another successful race weekend. Your hard work is appreciated by us all.

This race for me is as much a social event as it is a race. It was great to see old friends, Steve and Gary, Dano my pit chief, Team RPM,
Team Bernardo, Larry the Matt, Dave "The Block" Mount, the two Brians, Ralph Tee, Ron "Mad Dog" Hershman, Howie "Hollywood" Ursaner, John "The Gentleman" Miller, the whole Ofio crew, and of course Laura "Doll Face" Schmidt and Mike "Crazy Mike" Swiss from Chicago. And lest we forget Bill "Shooter" Fulmer.

To my Jersey crew, Matty "Speedo" Bruce and Sharon, Jay "Slick" Kisling, William "Two Head" Mac. It was great sharing the racing weekend with you . I'm proud to be a part of the Retro East crew with such a talented bunch. Chris "Sheep Whisperer" Radish, thanks for the lucky rub. I hope it was good for you, too!!!

A special thanks to my travel companion and teammate Dave Demott, It was great traveling and sharing the weekend with you Dave, you're a good sport. LOL.

A very special thank you to my slot father Noose. Your set-up help kept me out of the basement and your encouragement was invaluable.

A super thanks to Earl. who went home and got an air compressor to hook me up. A great Ohio dude..

To the Southern crew, it was great to meet you all and remember, all Yankees are not as crazy as me. And please tell Angelina she is a perfect Southern belle and I'm a bad bad man with a potty mouth. LOL/

Lastly congrats to all of the podium winners the racing was awesome, but I have to tell you all just showing up and being a participant in the R4 makes me feel like a winner.

Regards to you all.

Jersey John

CIMG0082.jpg

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God 2007.2023
" Owner / Sponsor, TEAM JERSEY-TEAM AUSTRALIA 

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#21 John Miller

John Miller

This space for rent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

A big thank you to the McMasters and all of those that make this event happen.

The competition is fun, but it's the people that keep me racing.

I'll see everyone soon.

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

ProSlot.png

#22 Matt Bruce

Matt Bruce

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

Sharon and I want to thank the McMasters family, the race sponsors, and all the racers for making the R4/5 such a great success.

This is our favorite race of the year, and every year it grows and keeps getting better. The level of competition is really awesome and fun to watch. Retro has truly given slot racing a breath of fresh air and we are happy to be part of it.

I wanna thank Tony P for the coupe ride, Dennis Samson for the F1, and Greg Van Peenen for the Can-Am car on Sunday. Great to see everyone, especially Sano Dave of course.

Congrats to all the main and podium winners. Cap Henry did a great job to get the F1 win, as did Ron with the Coupe and Can-Am races.

It was nice to meet Rick Bennardo Jr and watch him have such a great R4, just another great talent to add to this weekend.

Thanks to Noose and Bill Fulmer for all they do for the race and Eric and Mike for the stellar race directing.

Already looking forward to next year.

#23 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

I can only second what everyone has said so far about the recent R4/5 race. I can't really add much more than many have already said here.

History was made once again... 198 entries for three classes... 66 Coupes, 70 Can-Ams... both records. Laura Schmitt becoming the first "gal" to win a race at a R4 race, me TQ'ing in all three classes, Rick B making it through tech in all three classes, Rande Marshall setting fastest lap in a Can-Am race, someone other than Noose winning concours, Bill Fulmer taking over 700 pics, two new winners (Rick Jr and Cap) and some of the closest finishes in many classes/races.

The track was very fast... new track records in some classes in both qualifying and laps.

The food and snacks kept everyone full and happy.

The biggest and most important thing... most are getting faster, racing better and running more laps... it's getting tighter and tougher at the top all the way to the bottom.

Great times, great friends, great people, great racing, great discussions, great race directing, great track, great location, great hosts... great EVERYTHING!!!

Oh yeah and Rande "taking" my crisp "Andrew Jackson" for running an entire 3 minute heat without falling off his lane... LOL.

#24 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

Jersey John,

That pic is "priceless". LMAO.

#25 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

LOL... it says it all, Ron, participating in the R4 makes me warm all over!!!

RETRO RULES!!!

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God 2007.2023
" Owner / Sponsor, TEAM JERSEY-TEAM AUSTRALIA 

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

Electric Dreams Online Shop